test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New & Improved / Review-for-Review

tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
A Strange Merchant had 7 plays so far, with a 4-Star average. I had some great feedback, made some big improvements, and hope for some more 4's and some 5's.

I will take the time to do a detailed review of your quest and give you thoughtful suggestions for improving if you will do the same for mine.

Please post only if you are serious about doing the review exchange today or this weekend.

Thank you!
Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
Post edited by tripsofthrymr on

Comments

• hflord1hflord1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't usually do long reviews that nit-pick every detail, but I will review the general story/combat and details of yours right now. Mine that I want reviews for is:

NW-DONEPB9CK (or any from my signature, but this one I want more reviews for).
  • chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I have done yours sweety, still waiting.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • hflord1hflord1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I like that I can sneak passed some fights in the first map.
    Creative elements to the story (like entering through the roof)
    Love the book riddle for the secret door
    Taking the elf digits could use an emote - like interact low
    Dungeon portions could use a lot more detail. Some of the rooms are very drab and grey.
    Combat is good. Nothing too hard, but keeps it interesting.
    Left wanting more.
    All-in-all a good story.
  • visceralrevoltvisceralrevolt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am in the same boat as you, tripsofthrymr. I have a quest that I believe is good (and, yes, everyone believes their own stuff is the best thing ever, but... ), and that every person who has played has enjoyed, but is stuck hovering at a mere 10 plays. Not one person has disliked it, but it's just not getting exposure.

I'd love more feedback, and not just positive; I want constructive criticism. I want to polish it until it shines. But for that I need feedback.

So to that end, I will gladly do a trade with you. I'll review yours tomorrow morning. In turn, mine is in my signature.
    A Dwarven Dilemma Part 1 - The Wobbly Leg : NW-DTNZTFYDS @revolting
    Preview/Freedback thread:
    http://tinyurl.com/NW-DTNZTFYDS - Now eligible for Daily Quest!

A Dwarven Dilemma Part 2 - Luskan Delights : Coming soon!
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Well, I have done yours sweety, still waiting.

I don't see a review by you... sure you're looking at the right one (A Strange Merchant)?

• tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Book of Secrets
    NWS-DUYIKK2V2

a Review by TripsOfThymr

Note: The score will not suffer for nit-picky things.

- Press F to talk to Young girl (Young should not be capitalized, though Talk to Young Girl works)
    - Bookkeeper is one word, not two (also the only English word that has groups of two same letters three times in a row :-)
    - Feyrealm interesting... you could do SO much more with a Fey character.
    - SlaveMaster => Slavemaster or Slave Master
    - Some doors in the bookkeeper's house have funny names like Wood 01
    - Why does a bookkeeper have a heavily armed knight at her house?
    - Nice to use class specific skills in kitchen, but offering an option for everyone seems like too much.
    - Nice feeling searching the house, but "Retrieve the Book of Secrets" is active while searching. That is confusing. Perhaps have room searches as three parallel tasks, THEN show the task to Retrieve the Book of Secrets.
    - When returning book "we all done than" => "we all done then"
    - Dialog is generally well-written and entertaining.
    - Like the optional things like burning down the house :-)

• cudd1ycudd1y Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll trade a play and review for the same. My quest is in my signature. Thanks.
  • groshiegroshie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I will review your module tomorrow, need to get to bed now! :)
    If you'd like to try mine out, then I have a few different genres...
    Dreamfall, chapter 1 is a laid back, kind of mini-games quest.
    Dreamfall, chapter 2 takes on a survival horror approach.
    Dreamfall, chapter 3 is where the story kicks in and it features some platforming and narration-tests.
    The Tomb of Sarkath Han is a pure dungeoncrawler, pnp conversion.
    Chef's Challenge is humor based but with dungeoncrawling elements.
    Finally, Ogre: For the win! is really just for fun, it's a whole new aspect of an ogre slayer quest!

Take your pick, hope you enjoy it! :)
    Rescue in Rainwall, ID: NW-DRQK3HKVV
    Chef's Challenge, ID: NW-DGTKIBVF3
    The Dreamfall Campaign, ID: NWS-DEB7Z9IJC (3 Quests)
    Ogre: For the win!, ID: NW-DR5O3PD63
    Cults and Culture, ID: NW-DCLSFYSQ2
  • cudd1ycudd1y Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow. I just finished the quest and accidentally walked. I'll play it again later tonight. God I hate that.

I enjoyed it, a good amount of exploration, I feel like it could use a lot of polish though, spell check a bit.
    Things like, the teleport I was supposed to take to find the general orc or whatever it was, I didn't know I was supposed to teleport so I walked around for a while. I didn't even see it. (Granted I'm tired, but there was no indication.).
    After Liara's introduction, I felt her look really didn't match who she was supposed to be, but this could just be my personal preference.

I enjoyed it though. Just play through it a few times from an outsiders perspective and fix whatever you find to be annoying. Blank rooms were a bit of a drag.

Good quest, will play again later. and post review in game.
    edited May 2013
    Into the Portrait
    NW-DM8WFL7HJ

a Review by TripsOfThymr

Note: The will not suffer for nit-picky things.

- Story is highly original! Execution is great.
    - How did you do the B&W?? Very cool!
    - When visiting the sibling's house, there are two options
    - Enter the house
    - Enter the sage's shop
    Not sure why that is, but it is confusing.
    - In the painting there is a tree on a hill with a ground decal (hay?). The hay is floating in space. Coordinates 415.52, 20.52, 562.0. You can see coordinates with the command /locvec
    - In the Dungeon on Check the Sign, there is an invisible wall blocking direct progress. Not sure if that is intentional or not.
    - Fighting the RGB consumers, I got forced off the cliff. Ouch! I think it's fair, not everyone will like that.
    - "Trust me" bridge failed after 3rd or 4th part (was running).
    - Fun note: Cleric's Sun Burst works great against monsters on a bridge... pushes them right off...
    - There are few respawn points (campfires). Non-clerics will use a lot of potions...

Rating 5/5. Great job!

• vaelicvaelic Member Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    A Strange Merchant had 7 plays so far, with a 4-Star average. I had some great feedback, made some big improvements, and hope for some more 4's and some 5's.

I will take the time to do a detailed review of your quest and give you thoughtful suggestions for improving if you will do the same for mine.

Please post only if you are serious about doing the review exchange today or this weekend.

Thank you!

added to my queue. My quest info is in my sig. thanks!
    MY FOUNDRY QUEST

Quest Title: Don't "Count" on it - Ch. 1
    Short Code: NW-DQ3H4MXKG
    Duration: 15-20 minutes

DAILY FOUNDRY ELIGIBLE? Yes!
    edited June 2013
    A Strange Merchant review:
    • I liked the overall tone and mood. The story was intriguing. The humour was funny without being over the top or silly.
    • Great use of optional content. It was all interesting and well thought out.
    • The dungeon map itself, though, was very plain and barren, with almost no decoration. Decoration really adds depth and plausibility to your creations. In the few areas that did have decorative features, they made little sense. E.g. The portal at the top of the scaffolding. Why was the wooden ramp even there? What was the purpose? Decorate, but decorate logically. Things should be there for a reason, it will add so much immersion to your content.
    • Another example of things that don't make sense: In the dungeon, one of the optional parts is in a cave. You take a ladder down from the dungeon to the cave area. The exit from the cave area back to the dungeon area is a ladder... which also goes down. This makes no sense at all. It should be a ladder up.
    • Overall, this was an enjoyable, entertaining quest, with an interesting story and decent characters. On the basis that 3 is average and 5 is perfect, this is a solid 4 for me; Good, borderline great, but with room for improvement.

My quest is in my signature. Returned favour greatly appreciated!

• lostchartalostcharta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Doing yours now. Mine are in my sig. Do either. If you do the second one I'd appreciate some feedback on the combat difficulty as that was a problem before. I've made it easier now, but I'd it would be good to see if it's at a good level or still too hard.

If you could review in the linked thread that would be great.

Edit:

That was fun. I liked all the extra optional bits you added in, which made it rewarding to explore. General comment would be that the rooms could do with more decoration. Story was interesting and I like that different options, items and class skills can be used to see extra dialogue ect.
    I thought the combat was pretty mild for a lv56 CW. Depending on what you're going for this could be good or bad.

Specific comments:
    * The 1st bonfire is right next to object. I don't know if this is a problem (since I didn't have to respawn) but I had a similar situation in one of mine that could end up eith the player spawning inside the object (and getting stuck). Maybe move it to be safe (or maybe I'm just paranoid).
    * Not sure why but Selene's animations are kind of strange. Before speaking she sort of... spasms...
    * "Signpost 02" on top of tower has default name.
    * Also you can jump on top of the signpost and reach the teleporter
    * The Chicken scroll is floating
    * Fireplace in SW corner of tower district is slightly floating/clipping. Not lined up with ground.
    * Kitchen counter where you get the pepper clips into crates
    * Chair near counter clips into stairs (it's on it's side)
    * Crates with note about Idris. Ropes clip into rock
    * You could add a hole for the dungeon entrance, on both sides.
    * The rooms here are sort of empty. You could add more clutter.
    * In first room (with walled off portal) there is an unrealistic ruibble pile sticking straight up. I think that piece is meant to go in a corner.
    * In Secret room with journal. Pillar goes through fireplace.
    * Is there an intractable thing sitting on the altar I trashed? From the sparkles it kind of looks like I could interact with the candle or something but I couldn't find an angle where it was clickable.
    * The Semicircular web around the crates looks strange, cuts off suddenly in mid air.
    * There is some rubble floating near the portal (hard to see because of distortion from portal).
    * One of the crates where fizz was sitting clips into wall.
    * End reward chest slightly clipping into the floor

NW-DIRYOWUKYNW-DPXB42EEH
    The Linkwell CryptThe Linkwell Vault

@lostcharta
    solo campaign, balanced
    review thread
    edited June 2013
    Dwarven Dilemma
    NW-DTNZTFYDS

a Review by TripsOfThymr

Note: The rating will not suffer for nit-picky things.

- Sounds of thunder, but clear night sky (not sure if Foundry issue or something you did).
    - If there are SO many thugs on the street, why was a Minstrel wandering them (add a plausible reason).
    - Not many options in dialogs.
    - First dialog with Kayla.. "welbeing" should be "well-being".
    - Not very plausible why someone who just killed 20 ruffians should be sent to see why a bar maid is taking too long in the cellar.
    - Kayla tells me to go get the cheese, but the next mission step is to talk to the Dwarves.
    - Tunnel is well done. Has an ominous feel to it.
    - Die after getting cheese = escape without finishing boss fight
    - Fighting on small ledges with Clerics Sun Burst is fun vs. lots of small opponents :-)
    - Maybe I'm just overtired, but I could swear after patching the hole with lumber it told me to return to the tavern, then told me to go back and block the hole with rubble (but again I am tired).
    - The "big dead yellow lummox" is not at all dead. I just left the combat without killing him.

Very fun and original, although slightly "cheesy" humor at times :-)

edited June 2013
    Thanks, Trips! All good points, although I must dispute one; "welbeing" is a correct spelling in British English. However, it's been flagged up a few times, so I'll change it to the more universally accepted version avoid it coming up again. ;)

It hadn't occurred to me that death would (ironically) be a get-out for the boss fight... but that does make sense. I'll look into it, thanks for pointing it out!

The patching part does have two parts that need patching... on every playthrough I've done, it doesn't tell you to return to the tavern until both parts are fixed. I'll make that clearer though.

Thanks for your comments, very useful!

edited June 2013
    The Linkwell Crypt
    NW-DIRYOWUKY

a Review by TripsOfThymr

Note: The rating will not suffer for nit-picky things.

- Nice that it ties in to the situation in Neverwinter
    - Answered "I better get some of those riches" but the response ignores my demand for payment.
    - Seemed odd to encounter spiders in a graveyard. Then again, it doesn't always have to be zombies.
    - Gnolls seemed out of place
    - Great use of lights in the crypt!
    - Missed option to ask Big Whisky how he got that name :-)
    - Dialog is well written.
    - "Search for clues complete", but I don't really use any clues to find Matheus. I just go look for him.
    - Got myself into an impossible fight searching for Matheus. May have just been unlucky with a few patrols coming together.
    - Nice touch with the pseudo-reward ;-)
    - The sewers were a bit long, given how long the rest already was.
    - Nice setup for next quest.