Install Arc

Do NOT Nerf TR!!!

noyouwontnoyouwont Member Posts: 56
edited May 2013 in The Thieves' Den
Instead, buff the other classes.

/subject
Post edited by noyouwont on

Comments

• nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmmmmm..... no.
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Don't Nerf or Buff anyone. PVP is never , ever going to have any Class Vs Class balance so don't put a bunch of time and wasted resources even attempting such a ridiculous thing.

There is a reason PVP was never in DND!!! It's not balanced!

You want balance, make a Balanced TEAM! If your class is the weaksauce and not wanted for such a Team, well then, Accounts are free, Make what is wanted.
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    Don't Nerf or Buff anyone. PVP is never , ever going to have any Class Vs Class balance so don't put a bunch of time and wasted resources even attempting such a ridiculous thing.

There is a reason PVP was never in DND!!! It's not balanced!

You want balance, make a Balanced TEAM! If your class is the weaksauce and not wanted for such a Team, well then, Accounts are free, Make what is wanted.

Why do I keep reading that "PVP was never in D&D"? You must not have played PnP very much if you have never attacked another player.
  • mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Why do I keep reading that "PVP was never in D&D"? You must not have played PnP very much if you have never attacked another player.

I did this every time I played PnP. Nothing like a surprise donkey punch as your setting up camp or in a bar. PnP was boring to me, so I always spiced it up by F'n up the DM's plans. Inevitably the campaign would start in a tavern, some stranger approaches yadda yadda. My half-orc would get "startled" and take a swing with his greataxe. Roll a 19 or 20, crit...now what do you have for us? Of coarse it would always just knock him out when he should have died and he would come to and everything would go on as planned.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't want rogues nerfed because that hurts groups in PvE. However I will say I feel they are overpowered in PvP. But the game shouldn't be balanced around PvP.
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

You keep reading it because it is true and stated in several of the Books that it is not designed for that.

Wizard that can fly and cast a fire balls and teleport.

or a dude with a sword.....

Of course situations would occur where players would go at it here or there via the DM's discretion but the Classes are not made for it. They were never intended for it. They are not designed for it.

I don't think there is anything more annoying for a DM to deal with than a player who insists on attacking/killing another player.
    edited May 2013
    You keep reading it because it is true and stated in several of the Books that it is not designed for that.

Of course situations would occur where players would go at it here or there via the DM's discretion but the Classes are not made for it. They were never intended for it. They are not designed for it.

I don't think there is anything more annoying for a DM to deal with than a player who insists on attacking/killing another player.

And I think there is nothing more ridiculous than someone who claims to be a D&D player saying that the game is meant to be played a certain way. Have you ever read a Dungeon Master's guide?
  • bracer2bracer2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 566 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Yup PvP has always been in D&D, that said the way PvP works in this game i dont even bother playing, ever. I could see a world based PvP system were players have the option to bare knuckle it whenever wherever would be awesome. Its almost like an entirely different game exiled from the base game. PvP needs to be global and individualized, a part of the game imo. As its currently separate from the rest of the content..... no good. No fun for me.
  • mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

A good DM is open minded to all things that players choose to do. that was the point of PnP, freedom to role play. There is nothing more annoying than a DM that has his/her campaign already planned out in their head and doesn't want to deviate from that thought out path at all or gets pissed when a player wants to have a little fun. I had a DM that would not let me do **** if it wasn't already written out in the campaign notes. Then she got super pissed when we reached the end of the dungeon and I killed the "Boss" with one hit from a poison coated throwing axe. Her saving throw was a 2, she only needed a 4 to save. Yep, never played with that DM again.
  • silvernitesilvernite Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hum, just because people don't know how to play the class they chose, they want other classes to be nerfed.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think we should take some time to FIX the classes fully and have them working before we attempt to form even subjective opinions on what's on par with what... If stuff isn't working clearly bug fixes are a priority.
  • inexgravinexgrav Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    silvernite wrote: »
    Hum, just because people don't know how to play the class they chose, they want other classes to be nerfed.

Yes, All rogue players pro, other class players apprentice
    pukmp.jpg
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Twice in 35 years of play! PvP does not belong in D&D.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • a2ura2ur Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    I have been playing many games and i must say that pvp in Neverwinter is very good balanced atm. If you get owned it's only your fault. PVE encounters need some work not classes. They need to fix that throwing adds from edges and pulling bosses back to prevent adds spawning. They also need to lower adds hp on some bosses so it's possible to kill them and fix threat so GF can start tanking. Everyone will be happy if they do that. GF will be tanking, TR nuke the boss, GWF kill adds, CW control adds and DC heal.
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »

Another person spouting ignorance that goes against the fundamental ideas of the game.
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    silvernite wrote: »

Rogue critted my for 40k, oh me the skilless ****, how will I ever be that 1337 as that rogue with my inferior skill in pressing button for OP daily!

*rerolls rogue*

You are all newbies, you need to L2P, I'm uber leet now, you just suck at pvp bros!

edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »

I disagree. It can be a great addition to a campaign. For instance the Half-orc I mentioned earlier was introduced to the other players through PvP. He was an encounter on a campaign. Once the party was able to defeat him he joined them. Had they not been able to, which is unlikely but then again the dice can be squirrely some times, he would have moved on and I would have saved him for later. PvP added more depth than just simply "Hi, I am Gorgorath can I join you."
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think the problem here is conflating "D&D had the capacity for PvP" with "D&D was designed and balanced for PvP". They are two wholly different things. The former is unarguably true (since it was essentially a game limited by imagination), whereas the latter is almost certainly false. You COULD smash your mace through the back of your wizard's head, you COULD "accidentally misfire" your empowered fireball, all of these things were possible, but at no point did anyone sit down and think "Ok, so we've got a wizard at one end of an arena, and a fighter at the other: how can we balance them so it's pretty much 50:50 win/lose, all skill being equal".

Because that would be stupid. It was not the purpose of D&D. D&D was a party-based game, so balance came from having a balanced party, all contributing different skills, and all using them against monsters, usually.

So there's that.

Also, one needs to consider what is actually meant by "balance" if PvP is absolutely the must have thing. If you want 1v1 level balance, then you're...well, quite frankly stupid. Clerics will never out damage rogues, rogues will never heal...well, anyone. Wizards will always be more squishy than tanks, tanks will always be less ranged than wizards. These classes are not equivalent, and trying to tweak them so that they are is just a woeful misuse of time. It's all about teamplay: how the party works as a party, not who's the bestest at one-on-one fighting. And under those circumstances (assuming they actually pit balanced team componsitions against each other, so it's not 4 clerics and a GF vs 5 rogues, or something), balance comes as standard, and the only worry is about relative contributions: do all members of the team feel they are contributing usefully?

Here, admittedly, there's some work to be done (both in PvP and PvE) but other than that, talk of "balance" is just silly.
  • bbsoonerbbsooner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    Never had a dm design antagonists using actual class templates? Never participated in an arena/gladitorial session? Never fought mirror versions of tge party? Never had a betrayal? Never been mind controlled by a psionic or possessed and forced to turn on your party? Never had an enemy use leverage to get your party to turn on itself?

Your pnp games sound boring.

Pvp is as natural to d&d as character development. Luckily in the mmo, much like the pnp, neither are required, but definitely makes the experience more boring.
    edited May 2013
    bbsooner wrote: »
    Never had a dm design antagonists using actual class templates? Never participated in an arena/gladitorial session? Never fought mirror versions of tge party? Never had a betrayal? Never been mind controlled by a psionic or possessed and forced to turn on your party? Never had an enemy use leverage to get your party to turn on itself?

Your pnp games sound boring.

Pvp is as natural to d&d as character development. Luckily in the mmo, much like the pnp, neither are required, but definitely makes the experience more boring.

Exactly. The world is your playground in PnP. I guess everyone else just rolled Lawful-Good and did what ever the DM told them to do. I had one L-G character, a human paladin and he was boring as hell to play. Rest were Chaotic-Neutral and I played them as such. They stole from other party members, if I got caught I would try to bluff my way out of the gloves would come off. Either way it was fun. They could be self centered or bull headed in fights. It's not being a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> it's playing your character.
  • dread1313dread1313 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mic281 wrote: »
    I did this every time I played PnP. Nothing like a surprise donkey punch as your setting up camp or in a bar. PnP was boring to me, so I always spiced it up by F'n up the DM's plans. Inevitably the campaign would start in a tavern, some stranger approaches yadda yadda. My half-orc would get "startled" and take a swing with his greataxe. Roll a 19 or 20, crit...now what do you have for us? Of coarse it would always just knock him out when he should have died and he would come to and everything would go on as planned.

This made me LOL irl
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dread1313dread1313 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    I think the problem here is conflating "D&D had the capacity for PvP" with "D&D was designed and balanced for PvP". They are two wholly different things. The former is unarguably true (since it was essentially a game limited by imagination), whereas the latter is almost certainly false. You COULD smash your mace through the back of your wizard's head, you COULD "accidentally misfire" your empowered fireball, all of these things were possible, but at no point did anyone sit down and think "Ok, so we've got a wizard at one end of an arena, and a fighter at the other: how can we balance them so it's pretty much 50:50 win/lose, all skill being equal".

Because that would be stupid. It was not the purpose of D&D. D&D was a party-based game, so balance came from having a balanced party, all contributing different skills, and all using them against monsters, usually.

So there's that.

Also, one needs to consider what is actually meant by "balance" if PvP is absolutely the must have thing. If you want 1v1 level balance, then you're...well, quite frankly stupid. Clerics will never out damage rogues, rogues will never heal...well, anyone. Wizards will always be more squishy than tanks, tanks will always be less ranged than wizards. These classes are not equivalent, and trying to tweak them so that they are is just a woeful misuse of time. It's all about teamplay: how the party works as a party, not who's the bestest at one-on-one fighting. And under those circumstances (assuming they actually pit balanced team componsitions against each other, so it's not 4 clerics and a GF vs 5 rogues, or something), balance comes as standard, and the only worry is about relative contributions: do all members of the team feel they are contributing usefully?

Here, admittedly, there's some work to be done (both in PvP and PvE) but other than that, talk of "balance" is just silly.

OMG This times eleventy billion! Ive been hearing about imbalance in pvp since the days of eq1 in 1999. Guess what, many many companies have tried and failed to balance PVP because of one reason, its not possible. You can get close, and thats a long shot but pvp is not balanced and never will be as long as you have a diversity of classes, abilities, racials, different starting stats, spells, environmental issues (terrain/geography) latency. I mean come on people, stop being <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, if they came out with a game with 20 different "classes" but all of their moves were identical and all did the same damage and started with the same stats and gear and was in an arena thats flat like a checkerboard with no columns to hide behind or high ground and everyone had the same internet latency with the same computers keyboards and mice you would STILL find something to complain about and cry "imbalance!!!!, nurf nurf nurf!!!!".

Its almost like its a human thing now to cry when you lose and point your finger and say not fair not fair!. Ill tell ya what, devs, instead of nerfing rogues or buffing the other classes and bringing them up to rogues as some would want, even though it isnt necessary, just delete everything but rogues. Thats right, delete or disable every single class in the game BUT rogues. And let half orcs be the only playable race. Do this for a month and see how many people cry nerf. That would solve the issue by proving my point. Humans are sore losers who complain gripe about anything they can because they are never satisfied. And THAT is why game companies will never have balanced pvp. Thanks for reading.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]