test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ranger | Archer | Discussion

nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys. Don't stone me but I do not follow D&D like most of you, was introduced to the game by a friend and ended up really enjoying the play style/combat and just general feel of the game.

I was just wondering what can I expect from a D&D type of Ranger/Archer class? Will it be like other MMOs where they normally have a pet? Any other things that may be different about a D&D Ranger/Archer than compared to other MMOs?
Post edited by nymesis92 on

Comments

• Options
    argonacargonac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, in 4e the rangers are THE most broken dps class. This usually translates to mmo's automatically and can't be viewed as 'followign the books' when it does.

Ranged dps classes will almost always trump any melee dps classes. I sure hope this doesn't happen here as well. I want to like neverwinter.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First of all, there's still no guarantee that the ranger will be an archer. The ranger wielding two swords is an equally viable D&D archetype (think Drizzt Do'Urden rather than Legolas).

This here is probably a good start to familiarize with the class (esp. the 4e section): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29#Dungeons_.26_Dragons_4th_edition_.282008.E2.80.93.29
  • Options
    nymesis92nymesis92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    argonac wrote: »
    Well, in 4e the rangers are THE most broken dps class. This usually translates to mmo's automatically and can't be viewed as 'followign the books' when it does.

Ranged dps classes will almost always trump any melee dps classes. I sure hope this doesn't happen here as well. I want to like neverwinter.

So if they follow the book then the Ranger will out class the Rogues as the game stands?
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yep Rangers are far and away the most powerful strikers when it comes to direct damage, archery rangers particularly. They have a trade off though +hit or +damage
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    endagonendagon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    I am not as familiar with 4e rules as 3rd ed, but a ranger would have a pet(weak pet usually) and a few nature type spells. Likely if Cryptic is going to make the Ranger class more focused on ranged dps they will drop the pet(everyone gets companions anyways) and increase bow damage.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is hard to read to much into anything that is present in the 4e books, since they have been changing a lot when converting things over to Neverwinter.

Also I wouldn't expect a pet for the archery ranger besides the companions every player can get.
  • Options
    nemonusnemonus Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    First of all, there's still no guarantee that the ranger will be an archer. The ranger wielding two swords is an equally viable D&D archetype (think Drizzt Do'Urden rather than Legolas).

This here is probably a good start to familiarize with the class (esp. the 4e section): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29#Dungeons_.26_Dragons_4th_edition_.282008.E2.80.93.29

There's already 3 melee classes, and not one ranged DPS.

So yeah, it's pretty obvious what the ranger is going to be.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    nemonus wrote: »
    There's already 3 melee classes, and not one ranged DPS.

So yeah, it's pretty obvious what the ranger is going to be.

I just hope their Armor and gear looks as cool as the Rangers in Helms Hold does, the only thing missing are hooded cloaks
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The 4e ranger has options: Either melee, archery or a pet(while the guy is either melee or ranged). Pet classes don't really work too well automatically in Neverwinter as anyone who has ever had a henchman can tell you.

By the way, there's also some talk about a scourge warlock, and that's also a ranged dps class..
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The 4e ranger has options: Either melee, archery or a pet(while the guy is either melee or ranged). Pet classes don't really work too well automatically in Neverwinter as anyone who has ever had a henchman can tell you.

By the way, there's also some talk about a scourge warlock, and that's also a ranged dps class..

The way the scourge warlock has been described on these boards, it apparently is focused on constitution and close-ranged blasts? I can't imagine how they could possibly fit in with this game. Maybe it was described wrong?
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What the heck happened to being able to use a sword and a bow? For both ranged and melee combat? I have never played a character that was as handicapped as fighters are in this game.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    What the heck happened to being able to use a sword and a bow? For both ranged and melee combat? I have never played a character that was as handicapped as fighters are in this game.

How often do you switch weapons in the other MMOs you play?

Don't bring up GW2.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »

Don't bring up GW2.
    Umm... My only other MMo I have lasers, Auto Cannons & Missiles. I use all three.

In RPGs I have had a few where I can switch between ranged and melee. Maybe MMOs need to learn how to be able to keep up with the players.:o
  • Options
    urlagurlag Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    in dnd 4e, the dnd edition game is based on, rangers do not automatically come with a "pet". in 4e it is actually a set of feats that allows u to get an animal companion, which is not combat viable for the lvl you get it at (the "best" combat animal companion has the "power lvl" somewhere between a lvl 2-4 basic non-enemy npc soldier, they are used for scouting and passive bonuses mostly, though they can be used for setting off traps that you cant disarm or traps that are too well hidden for you party to notice but you guys have a gut feeling that there has to be one there.

WoW was the creater of the guaranteed "archer + combat pet" combo.
    even in 3.5e, animal companions werent that great for the most part

in both 3.5e and 4e, rangers only performed as an archer or as melee duel-wield (though 3.5e archer had alot more potential than melee duel-wield, while 4e melee duel-wield has a little bit more potential than archer) (archer in 3.5e had way more dmg, and was capable of killing most anything b4 you got hit, aka severe glass-cannon) (in 4e dmg for both is about the same, archer is a little higher but has much less survivability than melee duel-wield).

NW's classes are just 1 build type of the classes, so the ranger will be an archer due to the "ranged" hint.

for example just off the top of my head for whats currently in game + ranger vs. 4e pnp
    fighter-tank (gf), 2-H (gwf), duel-wield, grappler (must have at least 1 free hand holding nothing), i think there is 1more
    cleric-pure heals, mostly buffs but with heals (can be melee or ranged), dps with buffs and heals (powers that fit this aren't many and about 50/50 melee/ranged)
    rogue-hidden melee (tr), hidden ranged (usually thrown weapons, occasionally sling, rarely hand/light crossbow), duelist (less bonuses for being hidden but more survivability)
    wizard-pure controller (aoe), pure dps (mostly aoe), mix between the 2 (cw)
    ranger- melee-duelwield, archer (coming soon to NW)

what is currently ingame + archer ranger, is pretty much the only play-styles from dnd 4e. almost every class/build combo they havent done yet, will fit into these play-styles when converted to NW style gameplay. same general principal, minor to moderate tweaks to mechanics. the ones that wont fit, are the ones that aren't played much in pnp anyway.

the only exception to this is the support role classes, which isnt clear or not if they will be joining the NW family in the future. or should i say not clear YET. the only mmo i know of that has done support classes sucessfully and well-recieved by player base, is RIFT.

i would like to see support classes in the future, because in pnp 4e, they are extremely under appreciated. a 5-man group that consists of 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps wont beable to handle nearly the difficulty that a group consisting of 1 offtank with healing/support, 1 healer/buff or healer/debuff combo, and 3 others consisting of any combination of the following: beefy support with buffs/debuffs and a little bit of healing, dps with support capabilities (buffs and/or debuffs and/or heals)

anyway, i have ran long, and am now hungry. so im gonna post this and go get food
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Umm... My only other MMo I have lasers, Auto Cannons & Missiles. I use all three.

In RPGs I have had a few where I can switch between ranged and melee. Maybe MMOs need to learn how to be able to keep up with the players.:o

Yeah, it's not very common in MMOs. Though to be fair, Neverwinter weapon restrictions are more severe than most. I'm a rogue and it's very likely I'll be using nothing but daggers for the entire time I play the character.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Don't bring up GW2.

Before Ghostcrawler completely and utterly destroyed Hunters in WoW it was very common.
    Yeah, it's not very common in MMOs. Though to be fair, Neverwinter weapon restrictions are more severe than most. I'm a rogue and it's very likely I'll be using nothing but daggers for the entire time I play the character.

Which sucks as well, having a Bow should be an option for all non caster classes.
  • Options
    cookjkcookjk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Rangers are probably going to play just like the rogue except they will be primary ranged and secondary melee. We won't see anything all that different than what we got. They need to put in a druid and fix the broken classes is what they should do.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I have never played a Rogue with Only daggers. Long Sword dagger yes 2x Short Sword yes. Double Dagger... At least I get to throw them in an unlimited Supply (not so cool really).

I have always played D&D able to fight at all ranges...35 years Including the Video games.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Before Ghostcrawler completely and utterly destroyed Hunters in WoW it was very common.

Which sucks as well, having a Bow should be an option for all non caster classes.
    Specially us Pointy eared folk!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cookjk wrote: »
    Rangers are probably going to play just like the rogue except they will be primary ranged and secondary melee. We won't see anything all that different than what we got. They need to put in a druid and fix the broken classes is what they should do.

Yeah my wife is really want's to play a Druid, she loves the game but just can't get into leveling a character until they put one in.
    Specially us Pointy eared folk!

You damned skippy.

Just can't even have that game on my PC anymore.
  • Options
    urlagurlag Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    @pinkfont and pzzdachu (from the quote)
    the reason NW has these weapon restrictions is because the classes are only 1 build type that the classes in dnd 4e pnp have.
    TR is only 1 build type of the 4e rogue, which is why u can only use 1 type of weapon. the tr build type in dnd 4e pnp only benefits with melee "light blades" of which the most common of them is the dagger (also the only type to be really seen in mmo's is the dagger)
    other melee "light blades" are the kukuri (extremely uncommon in any fantasy videogame released in america, its name is used more often (always for a dagger) then its appearance), short sword (1h swords in mmos are technically longswords, or are too generalized to be classified as any subclass of 1-H sword), rapier (think fencing sword except sharp point and doesnt bend), there are a few others that im missing, but dagger is really the only dnd "light blade" that is used in videogames.

that is why tr's use daggers
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    urlag wrote: »
    the reason NW has these weapon restrictions is because the classes are only 1 build type that the classes in dnd 4e pnp have.

TR is only 1 build type of the 4e rogue, which is why u can only use 1 type of weapon. the tr build type in dnd 4e pnp only benefits with melee "light blades" of which the most common of them is the dagger (also the only type to be really seen in mmo's is the dagger) other melee "light blades" are the kukuri (extremely uncommon in any fantasy videogame released in america, its name is used more often (always for a dagger) then its appearance),

Short sword (1h swords in mmos are technically longswords, or are too generalized to be classified as any subclass of 1-H sword), rapier (think fencing sword except sharp point and doesnt bend), there are a few others that im missing, but dagger is really the only dnd "light blade" that is used in videogames.

Actually you can buy a short sword off the AD vendor in PE that TR's can use.
  • Options
    dartakxdartakx Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Actually this site might be better.

http://dnd4.wikia.com/wiki/Ranger
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If there are two dps classes, one melee and one ranged, who do the same amount of dps, guess which one will be never again invited to anything ever?

It is apparently very hard to design encounters that would hinder ranged characters as much as melee characters. It can be done though.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    TR is only 1 build type of the 4e rogue, which is why u can only use 1 type of weapon. the tr build type in dnd 4e pnp only benefits with melee "light blades" of which the most common of them is the dagger (also the only type to be really seen in mmo's is the dagger)
    other melee "light blades" are the kukuri (extremely uncommon in any fantasy videogame released in america, its name is used more often (always for a dagger) then its appearance), short sword (1h swords in mmos are technically longswords, or are too generalized to be classified as any subclass of 1-H sword), rapier (think fencing sword except sharp point and doesnt bend), there are a few others that im missing, but dagger is really the only dnd "light blade" that is used in videogames.

So 34 years of Melee and ranged combat ability just thrown out the window cause it's what... To complicated for players? Short swords were light blades for a few generations of the D&D Canon. I have to big a sword collection to to not know what can and cannot be used two weapon style. The mos famous dual weapon fighter in the Realm used scimitars!!! Those are much longer than a Dagger. I know I own his swords!
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Sure, but a little variety would be nice. We aren't completely beholden to D&D rules here.
    Actually you can buy a short sword off the AD vendor in PE that TR's can use.

And you can get an axe somewhere.