Install Arc
Options

Races I would like to see playable in Neverwinter

Comments

• Options
    trebarrunatrebarruna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Greater Doppelgangers!!!

"It is useless to resist!" - "Your time is up primates!"... <3 BG!
    Something like that...

But would be cool to see the core races and classes avaiable first tbh.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My point is that Cryptic has never let lore and setting get in the way of Cool Stuff (look at STO, where Earth Space Dock is surrounded by captains flying Breen, Jem'hadar, Romulan, THOLIAN, and other wacky ships, and uniform code is totally out the window)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    gingervitosgingervitos Member Posts: 275 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes but there are rare. They are cool because they are unique.
    Once they stop being unique they start being ridiculous...

Seeing a single player Drider would be awesome. Seeing a dozen in PE at any given time would make me cringe.

So yeah I'd really love to see the Underdark expanded and turned into it's own starting location like many NWN Modules did with appropriate NPC (not player) Factions so perhaps some more monster-estque races could be explored (let alone allowing the drow to stay evil rather than as common as a normal elf)
    But allowing everybody to make a goodly or accepted monster is a real kick in the groin if you care about the IP.

Valid points all . But I see the MMO as a different creature to the books and P&P. I would say these races could be added as Z-store items and as such would bring in revenue to the game and would prevent Neverwinter from being flooded with Lolth clones.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • Options
    cookjkcookjk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    LOL...Not much up on your Neverwinter lore for playable races...Only one that needs to be added is the Gnome. Teifling is ascended being they are just missing the rest from the game and only have one version of that. What they need to do is fix the ****ing broken game.
  • Options
    mangoforthewinmangoforthewin Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gnomes, Aasimar (we have Tieflieng, but no Aasimar? Really?), Half-Dragon, and Rakshasa.

For the Half-Dragon, Dragon Magic, a supplementary text for D&D 3.5 brought a very strong and balanced way of playing a half dragon race (each race had their own dragon associated with it based on lore, effectively making them sub-races. Bonuses accrued by the race weren't overpowered, really fleshed out each sub-race.)

And as for the Rakshasa, yeah, they're kinda really overpowered (they were given a level adjustment of +7 in 3.5 meaning that a Rakshasa is treated as being 7 levels higher than they actually are when determining the amount of experience it takes to level up. "Add this number (level adjustment) to the creature’s total Hit Dice, including class levels, to get the creature’s effective character level (ECL). A character’s ECL affects the experience the character earns, the amount of experience the character must have before gaining a new level, and the character’s starting equipment." http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Level_Adjustment#Level_Adjustment
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Let's all remember that Cryptic can't add anything without first getting permission from Wizards of the Coast.

They care a lot about the IP. They'll toss it around and murder it to no end on their own (Spellplague...need I say more?) but I doubt they would allow any other company to make a joke out of an IP which is, in large, taken very seriously by the fans.

There are certainly stretched in game at this time such as spider mounts but it's not a complete impracticality based on how Wizards of the Coast butchered the current IP. However allowing monster races to infest something which is supposed to be an "Official IP" is not likely in my opinion.
  • Options
    kelton59kelton59 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Gnome isn't a core race in 4th edition. Most gnomes were killed during the spellplague. They are currently in the monster manual.

That is odd, Gnomes are in the 4th ed Players Handbook that I have. Unfortunately they have lost the huge noses they had in 1st and now look like skinny halflings. They appear in the Monster Manual too, but then so do Humans.
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cookjk wrote: »
    LOL...Not much up on your Neverwinter lore for playable races...Only one that needs to be added is the Gnome. Teifling is ascended being they are just missing the rest from the game and only have one version of that. What they need to do is fix the ****ing broken game.

The current Core Races (i.e. from PHB1) are Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eldarin (High Elves), Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human and Tiefling, with Drow from the Forgotten Realms Core Book.

Gnomes were in PHB2.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Other thoughts:
    Changelings, shifters

I'd love to see true lycanthropes of some kind, though it's probably more reasonable to fold that into druids whenever they drop in.

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kelton59 wrote: »
    That is odd, Gnomes are in the 4th ed Players Handbook that I have. Unfortunately they have lost the huge noses they had in 1st and now look like skinny halflings. They appear in the Monster Manual too, but then so do Humans.

Yeah, I put a gnome in my first Foundry mission, appearing briefly toward the end, and when I looked up 4e art/style I was a bit surprised.

Managed to pull it off, though!

• Options
    cookjkcookjk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    The current Core Races (i.e. from PHB1) are Dragonborn, Dwarf, Eldarin (High Elves), Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Human and Tiefling, with Drow from the Forgotten Realms Core Book.

Gnomes were in PHB2.

Given I actually play test D&D beta including the new one coming up Gnomes are still and always have been a standard race in both D&D and Pathfinder.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Remember to take note this game is a Based on Fourth Edition D&D.

Gnomes are not core, they were actually only added as a Player Race in the Player Handbook II.
    Tieflings were made a core race in the Player Handbook I (along with a HEFTY lore change)

I looked up Aasimar, they appeared in player Handbook II, again not as a core race. As much as I hate wiki's as sources check here.
    Most rules regarding races that you may know based on third edition are COMPLETELY WRONG. For instance Tieflings are no longer half demons or the counterpart of Aasimar. :p
  • Options
    osiabunnyosiabunny Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Meh I can't get used to Tieflings being a core race of anything playing about in Bloodwar campaign in Ad&d They were such a pest race to my baatazu
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Deva
    Genasi(Firesoul, Windsoul, Stormsoul, Watersoul)
    Eladrin(sub Sun/Moon)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I looked up Aasimar, they appeared in player Handbook II, again not as a core race[/URL].:p

As far as Forgotten Realms is concerned Deva has become much more popular bookswise. Especially 1480ish DR. Ive read more about Devas recently then I have Elves 0.o

Sword of the Gods - Deva Avenger

Shadowbane - Deva Fighter - Not main character

Circle of Skulls - Deva Fighter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    evilkinglarryevilkinglarry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    From the core book the only races missing is the Dragonborn and Eladrin (sun and moon elf). From the 2nd players handbook they introduced Deva (celestial servants of the Mulan gods made flesh), Gnomes, Goliath and Shifter. From the third players handbook they added Githzerai, Minotaur, Shardmind and Wilden. And from the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide there is the Gensai.

I personally doubt we'll see any of the third books races added.
    Why not Mindflayers I would so play the fudge outta that. Remember this is a video game not the P&P game. My main reason for adding them would to introduce these epic creatures to people who are new to D&D.

Mindflayers are physically unable to be anything but cruel and nasty. Something to do with the larva burrowing into the parts of the brain that control positive feelings and from there slowly mutate the host until nothing is left of the original owner.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Remember to take note this game is a Based on Fourth Edition D&D.

Gnomes are not core, they were actually only added as a Player Race in the Player Handbook II.

So gnomes are not core because they appear in the SECOND Player's Handbook, and the Drow are core because... ... ?

Strange definition of core. ;)

• Options
    alltaken21alltaken21 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Constructs? What was the name I played 3.5 once or twice and they seemed pretty interesting
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    So gnomes are not core because they appear in the SECOND Player's Handbook, and the Drow are core because... ... ?

Strange definition of core. ;)

That's not the definition of core but they are not core according to Wizards of the Coast.
  • Options
    evilkinglarryevilkinglarry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    alltaken21 wrote: »
    Constructs? What was the name I played 3.5 once or twice and they seemed pretty interesting

The Eberron race called Warforged?
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Gnome isn't a core race in 4th edition. Most gnomes were killed during the spellplague. They are currently in the monster manual.
    This doesn't mean anything Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings and HUMANS were in the Monster Manuals for AD&D.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Since the Illithid have been positioned with the new Neverwinter content I would suggest them or Githyanki or Githzerai.

Illithid

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mind_flayer

Illithids (commonly known as mind flayers) are monstrous humanoid aberrations with psionic powers. Illithids believe themselves to be the dominant species of the multiverse and use other intelligent creatures as thralls, slaves, and chattels.

200px-Illithid_Sorcerer.png

Githyanki

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Githyanki

Githyanki society is martial, with both males and females training heavily in magic and swordfighting. Although they are loyal to each other, they are also fiercely individualistic. Raiding illithid strongholds is considered a rite of passage.

Githyanki.jpg

Githzerai

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Githzerai

The githzerai are distrustful toward all other races. They hate githyanki and illithids above all else. They have a bitter rivalry with the slaadi who share their home plane, but will cooperate with the froglike monsters against common threats.

378_debut_githz.jpg
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    berzerker75berzerker75 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am crossing my fingers, the new race, will be Drow.

I will be making me a Drow/Ranger, if that happens!
  • Options
    bbsoonerbbsooner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    I'd pay $30 for githzeri, aasimar, or eldarin
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'd pay 1000 dollars for a Kobold Dragon wrought type :D not really but if it got us Kobolds YAY :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    This doesn't mean anything Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings and HUMANS were in the Monster Manuals for AD&D.

Means a lot when Wizard's dictated gnomes were removed from the Core D&D Ruleset.
    Gnomes were, for the first time ever, no longer considered a player race. The literally tried to commit genocide. Players raised a fit and they got added back in but they are no longer a core race. ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Dragons are a core race, dare you to tell one they aren't! Go on, do it!