test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No more free to play, please?

Comments

• warcelwarcel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Freemium would be good for the game. GIve the option to those who want to pay montly subscription.
    Gibe Moni Plos
  • planartardsplanartards Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Current generation of gamers doesn't want to pay for anything. Still hoping TESO will be sub based but don't know, it's going away.
    Join responsible gamers and boycott the Xbox One
    Don't be a fool, Open Beta with working cash shop=Live Release
  • isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    I'm a WoW subscriber and its more nickle and dime than Neverwinter. Just saying.

You mean the subscription cost? Not sure what you mean when f2p games have money pits and some people are saying they have spent hundreds of dollars in NW already and open beta hasn't even been out for a month yet.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    You mean the subscription cost? Not sure what you mean when f2p games have money pits and some people are saying they have spent hundreds of dollars in NW already and open beta hasn't even been out for a month yet.

WoW sparkle ponehs anyone? Speed boosts in cash shop anyone? WoW could be called a PtRF MMO ( Pay to run faster :P ).

If people spend $100 of dollars here its their choice. Me if I find a FtP I like I drop $50 bucks into it and thats its :P
    edited May 2013
    wtf are you talking about? those are stupid little bling items that only hardcore, dedicated WoW players likely buy. how is the sparkle pony functionally any different then any mount you can get in game? WoW is buy main game, pay the minimal monthly fee and never spend another dime. F2P is spend bits of money on this, that, this that, respec, color change, every little nonsense thing.

you be trippin hardcore, give me some of whatever you are smokin.
    edited May 2013
    WoW sparkle ponehs anyone? Speed boosts in cash shop anyone? WoW could be called a PtRF MMO ( Pay to run faster :P ).

If people spend $100 of dollars here its their choice. Me if I find a FtP I like I drop $50 bucks into it and thats its :P

Those mounts are cosmetics. I haven't bought anything off the store which is just mounts or pets.

What speed boosts?
    edited May 2013
    Those mounts are cosmetics. I haven't bought anything off the store which is just mounts or pets.

What speed boosts?
    Dude is either trolling or a total moron.
    edited May 2013

What speed boosts?

You can buy stuff to improve mounts.
    edited May 2013
    wtf are you talking about? those are stupid little bling items that only hardcore, dedicated WoW players likely buy. how is the sparkle pony functionally any different then any mount you can get in game? WoW is buy main game, pay the minimal monthly fee and never spend another dime. F2P is spend bits of money on this, that, this that, respec, color change, every little nonsense thing.

you be trippin hardcore, give me some of whatever you are smokin.

But hows is that even different from Neverwinter? It has the cash shop and its PtP. Neverwinter is just cash shop.
    edited May 2013
    You can buy stuff to improve mounts.

Since when? What exactly are you talking about?
    edited May 2013
    But hows is that even different from Neverwinter? It has the cash shop and its PtP. Neverwinter is just cash shop.
    lol nah man I am not feeding you.
    edited May 2013

I do criticize WoW having a shop, but it's not even close to the shop in NW. There is nothing remotely similar to keys or wards or profession packs or respec tokens or a pop-up every time you die saying you can buy a scroll from the store.

You said WoW was even more nickle and dime then NW and that's just wrong really.
    edited May 2013
    Since when? What exactly are you talking about?

Ok I should explain better excuse my english my bad ^__^

You can convert certain currencies and buy the parts and ingredients need to make things like riding whips in the WoW AH. They tend to be pricey :<

http://www.wowwiki.com/Enchant_Gloves_-_Riding_Skill

http://www.wowwiki.com/Mount/Increasing_your_speed

>_> see items needed to go faster.

Also you can buy RL items in the WoW cash shop http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:5,c:33
  • kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Running an MMORPG is a business. I can guarantee you that if they thought they would make more money via subscriptions, then they would do it.

I suspect your request amounts to 'please go subscription-based so you can make less money'.

Although, to be fair, I support your request for some changes to the game.
  • thannonrathannonra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey, at least they aren't doing product placement or in-game adds like I've seen some games do. Even Defiance is doing that! There were billboards in game as you would drive round with current adds for Verizon and Dodge who are sponsors of the game's development.
  • eclipeteclipet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    F2P is future... nope.
    Herp Derp
    - Captain Obvious.
    edited May 2013
    Ok I should explain better excuse my english my bad ^__^

You can convert certain currencies and buy the parts and ingredients need to make things like riding whips in the WoW AH. They tend to be pricey :<

http://www.wowwiki.com/Enchant_Gloves_-_Riding_Skill

http://www.wowwiki.com/Mount/Increasing_your_speed

>_> see items needed to go faster.

Also you can buy RL items in the WoW cash shop http://us.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:5,c:33

Those things only work up to 70 so they are obsolete and it's something in the game. Not on the cash shop.

Yeah they do sell stuff on the shop, but none of it is relevant to the game. They don't sell bags for instance where the only way to get additional ones is through the cash shop. There is a big difference in the type of goods they sell.
  • mistaknmistakn Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i only downloaded the game because its f2p.
    edited May 2013
    Those things only work up to 70 so they are obsolete and it's something in the game. Not on the cash shop.

Yeah they do sell stuff on the shop, but none of it is relevant to the game. They don't sell bags for instance where the only way to get additional ones is through the cash shop. There is a big difference in the type of goods they sell.

But to get these thing I had to use RL money then convert then buy parts, end of the day the diffrence is the same my monies was spent, parts to expensive and to rare :<
    But yes I will agree with the bags issue storage in Neverwinter is a pain.

The one major grip I have with Neverwinter and its the only cash related one I have is when you die it ask you to use zen to buy stuff :I

*edit* I do have to admit I have bought RL stuff like the WoW mouse I am weak :<
    edited May 2013
    kimberix wrote: »
    Running an MMORPG is a business. I can guarantee you that if they thought they would make more money via subscriptions, then they would do it.

I suspect your request amounts to 'please go subscription-based so you can make less money'.

Although, to be fair, I support your request for some changes to the game.

They don't because they can't. It's only less money because they can't attract enough subscribers, but when you have 10 million subscribers like WoW did then I'm sure they would do subscription. Does any of these f2p games make 1 billion annually?
  • thannonrathannonra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    But to get these thing I had to use RL money then convert then buy parts, end of the day the diffrence is the same my monies was spent, parts to expensive and to rare :<

The one major grip I have with Neverwinter and its the only cash related one I have is when you die it ask you to use zen to buy stuff :I

*edit* I do have to admit I have bought RL stuff like the WoW mouse I am weak :<

Those items you speak of that increase mount speed below level 70 in wow are NOT something you HAVE to spend on because they can be found in game completely without spending a dime of real money. In the case of WoW, if you purchase gold, you are breaking their ToS and EULA. The ONLY things they sell on their legitimate and legal cash shop are either bound to account/character and therefore non-tradeable or are not in-game items. And the items that are in-game which aren't tradeable are in no way better than anything available in game from a mechanical aspect standpoint.

You can't pay money legally to have a faster mount in WoW. So that argument is useless.
  • zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    <Racism is bad>
    edited May 2013

It's not necessary at all to spend any money. Besides that it's entirely a waste of time and gold to make them because you would outlevel them fast enough.

What exactly did you buy?

I can craft them myself since I have every profession. I even have 3 alchemists so making primal might is not an issue and that's the major bottleneck anyways. It's only expensive now because it's an obsolete items no one makes, but how poor are you anyways. It can't be that expensive.
    edited May 2013
    It's not necessary at all to spend any money. Besides that it's entirely a waste of time and gold to make them because you would outlevel them fast enough.

What exactly did you buy?

I can craft them myself since I have every profession. I even have 3 alchemists so making primal might is not an issue and that's the major bottleneck anyways. It's only expensive now because it's an obsolete items no one makes, but how poor are you anyways. It can't be that expensive.

Every profession O_o I doff my hat to your superior WoWness. Yes I'm one of those lazy players that cant be arsed do anything after hitting the level cap, why do the hard work when you can pay others to do it for you :P

I picked Blacksmithing I think its a bit pants :<
  • xtropianxtropian Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    iuliandrei wrote: »
    Personally i think F2P games with the possibility of subscription would be the best option right now, there are many small things in most MMOs to make the difference and if you see the dev putting time and effort into improving the game you'll want to support that. Yes more money can make a better game.

I'm not sure if there are any "F2P games with the possibility of subscription" in the sense of being primarily F2P games that also offer a sub. There are a lot of games that were purely subscription-based and added a F2P option later. None of them started as F2P and added the sub model, or were launched as a hybrid game, or were designed with adding a F2P option in mind. Although, IMHO, any company planning on coming out with a new subscription-based MMO should definitely have a F2P option in mind and a clear plan as to how and when it would be implemented.

I imagine that launching a game with a hybrid model could be profitable, though, but I don't think there's a point in adding a subscription option to a F2P game that is still a work in progress. Bugs and exploits aside, while the functions of the game are there, a lot of the content, especially in terms of classes, races, Paragon Paths and end-game, is still in development.
  • gingervitosgingervitos Member Posts: 275 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Every profession O_o I doff my hat to your superior WoWness. Yes I'm one of those lazy players that cant be arsed do anything after hitting the level cap, why do the hard work when you can pay others to do it for you :P

I picked Blacksmithing I think its a bit pants :<

Haha you mean me and @Callmebro sell you <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> for insane prices. Ive been abusing sis this way since EVE. She's a moron.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013

My Disco Lion and I can sympathize.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • cookjkcookjk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    They can't do that until they fix the broken classes and balancing issues. People will not pay a sub for this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Also, they would need to give foundry designers more control over their content.
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep it's pretty blatant Astroturfing, it's almost a given with new MMO's these days.

Honestly I would have preferred a subscription or hybrid plan. I think it would have had a positive impact on some of their developmental pipeline and design principles for the game.

And bear in mind, with thousands of other new faces around you probably haven't noticed I'm one of the bigger Cryptic/NW fan boys here. But, contrary to what it looks like, that really just means I respect the devs enough to pick my battles. Well, I wouldn't really call this a battle, but it's a fairly strong opinion I guess. Most F2P games really can't be fully appreciated unless some coins are inserted, which is fine. I don't regret a dime I've spent on this game, a few hundred dollars. But I started playing these games way back with Ultima Online. I've paid a lot of different subs and I can tell there's been a shift in design principles with the F2P model. That model tends to be far more rewarding for the publisher than it is for the paying players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about Neverwinter as much as I'm waxing wistful about the shape of things in general in the industry, and the shape of things to come I'm pretty darn sure. The player above who said, "Why am I from Waterdeep but there is no Waterdeep?" Or whatever, well don't shoot them down so quick. My character in UO was from Minoc and near by was Vesper, and a long walk through the forests was Cove, Britain, Yew, Trinsic, Skara Brae, and more cities across the wide oceans. And that was sixteen years ago.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • stratrat1956stratrat1956 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    Here's Wikipedia entries for whatever in the heck "STO" stands for. I got no hits for "STO/CO" but I assume that you don't mean the Korea Securities Dealers Association

If Wikipedia or Google doesn't know what your acronym means, provide a link or spell it out.

*sigh*

PWE doesn't do subs. Period. The only reason the option is there for STO/CO is because of their LTS system, and the option was left in because PWE had to legally honor those.

But please, feel free to beat this dead horse into dust yet again.
    What? Me worry?