test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Classic AD&D Module, "Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh U1" now in Foundry

2»

Comments

• touzsantouzsan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    Where is the module is it in the "new" section or the "for review" section. I don't know why but when i look at the "for review" section my game comes to a near stand still with lag.
  • cuddlesmacheesecuddlesmacheese Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    touzsan wrote: »
    Where is the module is it in the "new" section or the "for review" section. I don't know why but when i look at the "for review" section my game comes to a near stand still with lag.

Best way is to search by NW-DB9Q7NCWR
    "The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh U1"

Part 1 - NW-DB9Q7NCWR
    Part 2 - NW-DHKJD78SM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • touzsantouzsan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    Found it the search feature is great. gonna try it out now.

first thing i noticed was the title of the foundry is "The haunted house" i was looking for the module name sinister secret, etc...
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sydanyo wrote: »
    In any case, great or not, Greyhawk is Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms is Forgotten Realms, and Neverwinter is Forgotten Realms. I'd just rather not mix great things.

Actually, the blurbs on adventure supplements and ideas in Dungeon/Dragon magazines and in modules often contain language like, "While this adventure was written for X, you could easily take it and use it for your own campaign setting!" Obviously they want to sell their materials and they don't want to encourage too much discrimination in buyers.

Now as far as walking into the Foundry and seeing blatant conversions from non-Forgotten Realms campaign settings, including original settings created by authors, well this is going to be a consequence of giving authoring tools to a diverse player base. People are going to do whatever they want to do.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • foundrymakerfoundrymaker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 253 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    wasabiburn wrote: »
    If you change all the names and don't copy any dialogue or descriptions written, write it all yourself and say it's inspired by the module then it should be fine

Well,the Dragonlance references I'm using are over 30 years old. Even if it wasn't covered by the products WotC license, Copyright if I'm not mistaken is only valid for 25 years although I could be wrong. But I will keep working on my first prelude Dragonlance module and if they ban it for 'infringing' a WotC property under a WotC license then there just won't be any others. I have to find ways to waste time being retired, I will just have to find something else to waste my time and money on. No Harm, No Foul. The community and PW are the only ones that are going to lose out.

Cheers
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Excellent, thank you for this! Greyhawk fan here, currently working on one of the old modules myself. :)

Glad to see an addition to B2 finally.
  • mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for doing this! Will try it in the w/e and make sure of leaving tip and rating/review. Keep up the good work!
    Also, for the mods, would it be possible to have a section of the forum where people can post stuff like this?
  • antovarasantovaras Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    NW-DB9Q7NCWR

Part one is now complete, and I hope you enjoy it. This was the first stand alone module I ever bought. I have put many hours into the quest trying to keep it true to the original story. I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks
    First ever module I played back when I started playing D&D iirc, I look forward to it
    A world to defend
    A city to protect
    innocents to save
    "Why?" They ask "they hate you"
    We're heroes it's what we do.
    *patiently waiting on Paragon City*
  • kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    touzsan wrote: »

Mine too - When you open the For Review tab for the first time, it has to dig really deep (or something) to pull out a window that says something to the effect of "Warning, these quests have not been vetted, you will most certainly be insulted by some of them, and you must be 18 or older. Ok?" Why this nearly crashes the game, I have no idea.
    qtPt2I
  • anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Heh, the artists and developers at WotC are beautiful. But the legal team there is a stupid panicky animal. Heh.

It seems to me, it is impossible for WotC to "condone" extraordinary use of their copyright material because they need to "enforce" ownership of copyright material.

On the other hand, there seems to be a high tolerance for what is essentially "fan art".

Moreover, using the Neverwinter Foundry to develop this borrowed content makes no real money personally, and in fact, boosts the appeal of the Neverwinter game, thus ultimately the profitability of WotC.

Among clear-sighted observers, it seems in everyones best interests to enrich the Foundry with traditional D&D material.
  • anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    And this is a beautiful thread.

I never played the Salt March module, and I look forward to your adventure, OP.
  • sydanyosydanyo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anashim wrote: »
    Heh, the artists and developers at WotC are beautiful. But the legal team there is a stupid panicky animal. Heh.

It seems to me, it is impossible for WotC to "condone" extraordinary use of their copyright material because they need to "enforce" ownership of copyright material.

On the other hand, there seems to be a high tolerance for what is essentially "fan art".

Moreover, using the Neverwinter Foundry to develop this borrowed content makes no real money personally, and in fact, boosts the appeal of the Neverwinter game, thus ultimately the profitability of WotC.

Among clear-sighted observers, it seems in everyones best interests to enrich the Foundry with traditional D&D material.

Well, Wizards is Wizards. Whatever else they are, they're definitely in it for the money, regardless of the product. My personal D&D player group is somewhat pissed off by the fact that Wizards decided to cash in with the 3rd to 3.5 edition change, launching a full new range of books only after a couple of years of the 3rd edition being out. Now, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of improvements in 3.5, but after having bought like 10-20 books each for 60e, it's a bit asinine to expect us to buy a new 600-1200e set of books. Then of course after a while they come up with the 4th edition which is complete bollocks, and now they're abandoning that too and going for the 5th or "Next".

Each with their complete cash-in product line of course. Well, just look at Magic the Gathering. Each year a new expansion or two, with several different new abilities, completely destroying existing decks' functionalities, basically forcing people to buy more and more cards. They're all about the cash register sound. So, don't be surprised if they've got the legal team to go with it.

Personally I've jumped ship and went with Paizo and Pathfinder. That is, after all, the best edition of D&D right now, and Paizo isn't going to cash in every 3 years with new editions. Too bad the FR license is tightly in the grasp of Wizards.

Anyways, the OP's module does look pretty cool. Kudos. :cool:

(Btw, apparently the euro sign cuts off your post.)
  • zocat1zocat1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kwsapphire wrote: »
    You're kidding! I would have guessed it would be okay - I am going to assume you got a "no" because WotC's legal department (A) didn't really understand what you were asking and (B) says "no" to just about everything to cover their butts.

I'd like to see an official PWE ruling on this as well. What printed modules are allowed in the Foundry? Forgotten Realms modules only? Modules over a certain age? As I said, my first assumption was that if it's D&D, it would be okay, but maybe I'm wrong!

The official PWE ruling is in their ToS: http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

Under 11 User Content:
    (c) User Content that may infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other intellectual or proprietary right of any party. By posting any User Content, you represent and warrant that you have the lawful right to distribute and reproduce such User Content

Do you have copyright for those modules? No.

Well,the Dragonlance references I'm using are over 30 years old. Even if it wasn't covered by the products WotC license, Copyright if I'm not mistaken is only valid for 25 years although I could be wrong.

You are wrong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain#Expiration_of_copyright

That said - it's highly unlikely that anything is going to happen. Depending on the contract between WotC & PWE though it's possible that your quest will never be featured (if they only have the rights for Forgotten Realms and you use another setting).
    Same idea probably applies to FR modules. Dont expect them to be featured.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like this idea, this was a group favorite back in the day.

With that said, I've been pondering around the idea of exploring into the module recreation but the ones I want to do will take some considerable amount of time...like Temple of Elemental Evil.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • delthanindelthanin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    sydanyo wrote: »
    Being a hard core Forgotten Realms fan, I'm not sure how I feel about there being Greyhawk <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in this game... But I guess it's better than some Game of Thrones or Final Fantasy adventure.

Still, I'd much rather see Pool of Radiance, Azure Bonds, Silver Blades, or something like that. You know, actual Forgotten Realms stuff.

I love Foundry content based off FR, but I don't really see an issue with making content separate from that. There's already plenty that doesn't follow FR lore. As long as they put somewhere in the description that it is not based on the official setting.
  • delthanindelthanin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    ...like Temple of Elemental Evil.

That would be completely awesome
  • imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zocat1 wrote: »
    That said - it's highly unlikely that anything is going to happen.

Well, look at it this way. The OP has published a classic conversion of WotC's property. Cryptic is aware of it (they've posted in this thread). If the adventure isn't taken down by Cryptic, I'd say that's our answer.
    zocat1 wrote: »
    Depending on the contract between WotC & PWE though it's possible that your quest will never be featured (if they only have the rights for Forgotten Realms and you use another setting).
    Same idea probably applies to FR modules. Dont expect them to be featured.

I'm actually reserving expectations on this and I'll tell you why. Featuring some classic, well-known adventures on the front page of the website would only wet the appetites of any potential players who are still on the fence. Say, for instance, DDO players who also played the pen-and-paper game and who've never truly had the chance to "dungeon master" in the way the Foundry allows. This is going to be one of the Foundry's bigger draws in Neverwinter. It's just great marketing if you ask me.

Cryptic has the license to the lore. And meanwhile, anything we author, we waive exclusive rights to--which is what allows Cryptic to feature our work for marketing purposes. This is also kind of a loophole if you think about it. We might not have trademark rights, but Cryptic does. If you use a WotC trademark in the Foundry, Cryptic has the right to roll with it if they want to.

This seems like the perfect marriage of circumstances. If you make a totally awesome conversion that showcases the capabilities of the Foundry to deliver a classic D&D adventure in flying colors, you're practically doing the marketing department's work for them, for both WotC and Cryptic. They'll both make more money if you make it easier for them to showcase the Foundry's capabilities in a way that'll really appeal to D&D fans.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • cuddlesmacheesecuddlesmacheese Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Keep on the borderlands got featured. Maybe Cryptic changed direction on this one.
    "The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh U1"

Part 1 - NW-DB9Q7NCWR
    Part 2 - NW-DHKJD78SM

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]