test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Neverwinter's math bad or is it just me? (Professions)

cyborgschatzcyborgschatz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I've noticed for a while that the speed bonuses when crafting aren't giving what they should (unless there's some function of it that I'm missing).

I managed to grab an Adventurer for the Leadership profession. In case you don't know what it does, it is a blue quality worker that works for missions of rank 1-3 and gives a 25% speed bonus. The 25% speed bonus applies whether they are in the main slot or the optional slot for a job. He's a nice little speed boost for those longer jobs, however, I'm noticing that apparently Neverwinter doesn't seem to know how to calculate what 25% off of something is, or maybe I don't and if so someone please elaborate as to what dumb mistake I'm making.

I put him on a 6 hour job, no optional person to boost the speed further so it should just be a straight 25% bonus to speed. 6 hours is 360 minutes, 25% of that being 90 minutes which should result in 270 minutes which converts back into 4 hours 30 minutes. But when I start task the counter is around 4 hours 50 minutes.

Now I know that 20 minutes in the grand scheme of things isn't really that big a deal but come on, some of these jobs take long enough as it is, it would be nice if I could get the full speed bonus. I'm not even sure about how additional speed bonuses add into it with my adventurer (whether the speed bonuses are added together and calculated or if it calculates the adventurer's bonus then takes the remaining time and takes off the optional person's time after).

Any thoughts, or should I just submit this as a bug and get ignored like the rest of my bug submissions?
Post edited by cyborgschatz on

Comments

• elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I've noticed for a while that the speed bonuses when crafting aren't giving what they should (unless there's some function of it that I'm missing).

I managed to grab an Adventurer for the Leadership profession. In case you don't know what it does, it is a blue quality worker that works for missions of rank 1-3 and gives a 25% speed bonus. The 25% speed bonus applies whether they are in the main slot or the optional slot for a job. He's a nice little speed boost for those longer jobs, however, I'm noticing that apparently Neverwinter doesn't seem to know how to calculate what 25% off of something is, or maybe I don't and if so someone please elaborate as to what dumb mistake I'm making.

I put him on a 6 hour job, no optional person to boost the speed further so it should just be a straight 25% bonus to speed. 6 hours is 360 minutes, 25% of that being 90 minutes which should result in 270 minutes which converts back into 4 hours 30 minutes. But when I start task the counter is around 4 hours 50 minutes.

Now I know that 20 minutes in the grand scheme of things isn't really that big a deal but come on, some of these jobs take long enough as it is, it would be nice if I could get the full speed bonus. I'm not even sure about how additional speed bonuses add into it with my adventurer (whether the speed bonuses are added together and calculated or if it calculates the adventurer's bonus then takes the remaining time and takes off the optional person's time after).

Any thoughts, or should I just submit this as a bug and get ignored like the rest of my bug submissions?

It's not a bug.

You're computing the time wrong - a 25% speed increase works like this:

360 minutes / 1.25 = 288 minutes.

Otherwise, a 100% increase would finish instantaneously, and a 125% increase would take negative time.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • cyborgschatzcyborgschatz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fair enough, thanks.
  • shelendilshelendil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like they're dividing by 1.25 instead of multiplying by 0.75.
  • boofaheadboofahead Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    It's not a bug.

You're computing the time wrong - a 25% speed increase works like this:

360 minutes / 1.25 = 288 minutes.

Otherwise, a 100% increase would finish instantaneously, and a 125% increase would take negative time.

how is that even correct math tho?

so 50% increase is 360/1.50 = 240mins

a 99% increase would be 360/1.99 = 180mins not even close to instantaneous.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    boofahead wrote: »
    how is that even correct math tho?

so 50% increase is 360/1.50 = 240mins

a 99% increase would be 360/1.99 = 180mins not even close to instantaneous.

Do yourself a favour and go back to school.

It decreases the task's completion time by 25%, It doesen't say anywhere that it substracts a 25% of the total completion time.
    If it substracted 100% of the completion time then the completion time would be 0s.
    If it decreased the completion time by 100% it would substract HALF the completion time from the total. Which means it completes twice as fast.

got it now?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • boofaheadboofahead Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ya i read post i replied to wrong.

Didn't see the "otherwise" and thought he was saying it would complete instantaneous.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup, just think of it like good old haste math. :rolleyes:
  • elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Think of driving 100 miles.

At 50mph (normal speed), it takes two hours.

at 100mph (A 100% speed increase), it takes an hour.

At 62.5mph, a 25% increase in speed, how long does it take? The answer is not 45 minutes.
  • itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Well I can run a mile in about 9 minutes..." reminds me of that cute blonde girl on the youtube video lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M93wql4IcXQ

Don't feel bad man, I love what math does for us but hate what it does to me... lol
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oroness wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and go back to school.

It decreases the task's completion time by 25%, It doesen't say anywhere that it substracts a 25% of the total completion time.
    If it substracted 100% of the completion time then the completion time would be 0s.
    If it decreased the completion time by 100% it would substract HALF the completion time from the total. Which means it completes twice as fast.

got it now?

I get it mathematically but it does seem misleading. Seems like if completion time is 50 minutes, and it says reduces completion time by 50%, then it should leave only 25 minutes. But looking at how Cryptic does it, you'd actually need 100% reduction to achieve that, all fraction of a fraction and ****. Also this sentence from the above;

"It decreases the task's completion time by 25%, It doesen't say anywhere that it substracts a 25% of the total completion time." - How is that not saying the same thing? I catch your meaning, but again very misleading.
    Cryptic math: its like sticking your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in a midget's hand; visually deceptive and entirely for the purpose of making your bonus look larger than it really is.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I get it mathematically but it does seem misleading. Seems like if completion time is 50 minutes, and it says reduces completion time by 50%, then it should leave only 25 minutes. But looking at how Cryptic does it, you'd actually need 100% reduction to achieve that, all fraction of a fraction and ****. Also this sentence from the above;

"It decreases the task's completion time by 25%, It doesen't say anywhere that it substracts a 25% of the total completion time." - How is that not saying the same thing? I catch your meaning, but again very misleading.
    Cryptic math: its like sticking your <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in a midget's hand; visually deceptive and entirely for the purpose of making your bonus look larger than it really is.

Are you familiar with experience and drop rates? I guess you are because you're a mmo player.
    When a game has a 100% exp rate event... well it doesen't mean that killing one mob will instantly make you level up from 0 to 100% of your exp bar right? or achieve max level with a kill.
    Or a 100% drop rate. It doesen't mean you'll get a full set from a boss, or even a guaranteed item from a boss.

If you know and understand how that works I don't see why you would not understand that completion times are modified by rates too. Welcome to MMOs?

Who knows, maybe someday we'll get a 100% speed rate event for professions. And it will work exactly the same way as an exp rate event or drop rate event.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • jackminsterjackminster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013

I took a look at what the verbiage in the game said. The Adventurer is advertised as giving a +25% speed bonus (i.e. the rate at which you work). It's not however advertised as a -25% decrease to the original task completion time.

Take your 6 hour task for example. The default rate for that task would be 1/6th tasks per hour (that's how fast you work). If we were to model it, it would look something like this:

(1/6) tasks per hour * 6 hours = 1 task

(1/6) * 6 = 1

Ultimately we're going to apply a bonus to that 1/6th tasks per hour so first we want to move the terms around into a solvable equation (for hours) like so:

6 = 1 / (1/6)

x = 1 / (1/6)

Now we want to add our 25% speed increase to your work rate:

x = 1 / (1/6 * (1 + 1/4))

x = 1 / (1/6 * 5/4)

x = 1 / (5/24)

x = (1/1) / (5/24)

x = 24 / 5

x = 4.8

This means that your work rate bonus of 25% (i.e. the 1/6th tasks per hour increase to 5/24ths tasks per hour) has resulted in a 20% task completion time decrease (i.e. the 6 hours decrease to 4.8 hours).