test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Some advice please for a low level toon

hilstonhilston Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Temple
Hello all,

I have been levelling a cleric, pretty much solo due to work and family commitments and dinged 17 last night. Yes I know that is low but I get little game time.

I love the class and the game, I particularly like the "aggressive" healing as against "passive" of most other clerical chars I have played in other MMOs.

My question is: considering I solo most of the time what does the "tab" button do for me solo? I tried it the other day when doing a quest with three boss orcs and almost died (for the first time) had to switch back out of tab and use a couple of quick potions. I have rarely used potions at all, and am generally 50% health plus even during boss fights.

I have read through the forums and there is lots of useful advice about grouping and tab but not about soloing.

Anyway, all advice is gratefully received.

Cheers

Hilston
Post edited by hilston on

Comments

• Options
    mex3mmex3m Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey,

So Divinity boosts all your non-daily spells but adding additional effects and making them more powerful.

However there is 1 rule which stand for all levels; Do not use your 'At-will' spells in divinity mode.

The reason why you don't use the At-wills in Divinity is because it is simply a waste, you can use the pips for something much better than a mediocre damage or healing beam that you have to channel.

Good spells at your level for questing are; Sun Burst, Searing Light and perhaps Chains of Blazing Light (although I don't like the last so much)

What these spells do in Divinity are boost the damage (and heal in the case of Sun Burst) in all instances in addition;
    Sun Burst - Adds a knock-back to the spell. This is particularly useful when you are surrounded and getting low on HP or to knock mobs off a cliff and kill them, it also works on elites.
    Searing Light - Makes targets 'pierced' by the beam also take damage. A good tactic for using this is to maneuver around a little to try and get all the mobs in a line or at least grouped together and try to aim for the mob at the back, that way all the mobs in-between will also take the high damage and are often one-shot or at least lose 80% of their HP.

For dungeons, Healing Word gains the additional effect of healing the target for a solid amount while also placing the HoT on them.

(If you want some comparison and have played WoW, normal Healing Word is 'Rejuvenation' while Healing Word while under Divinity is similar to 'Regrowth')

I hope this helps you understand Divinity a little better!
  • Options
    beldukilbeldukil Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    The tab button puts you in divinity mode. It makes certain powers stronger or have different effects. When you divinity bar is full it has 3 "+" signs on it. This means you can cast 3 spells in divinity mode. When All the "+" signs are gone, you will not be able to cast with encounter powers at all until you regain divinity. To regain divinity you cast spells outside of divinity mode and divinity slowly builds back up.

As the previous poster said you do not want to use your two at will powers in divinity mode as the divinity powers are not very strong (left click is damage and right click is heal other). Use it with your encounter powers (the ones with a cool down). At your level searing light in divinity mode is not bad. Just make sure you have a few mobs lined up in a straight line so the beam hits more than 1. Used with sunburst, it has a big knock back effect, but make sure there are not other mobs around that could agro from the knocked back mobs. You will get daunting light in a few levels and that is a very good way to do aoe damage in divinity mode and can often take out entire groups of normal mobs before a fight even begins.

Later you will want to use Forgemasters Flame in divinity mode as this is our best heal. When you cast this on a mob it does an aoe heal over time on any party member (or companion) near the mob.
  • Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I first got Divinity I used it "improperly" which is to say as a Beam Of Death, burning down a foe. Since I solo, the right click did nothing for me except annoy me when I was trying to put Astral Seal on a foe and it was just doing nothing until I popped OUT of Divinity mode.

Since then, I've learned to use it only with Encounter powers and it's gotten MUCH easier. Sunburst's knockback under Divinity is a lifesaver, and I also use Divinity with Forgemasters Flame. Sometimes I'll use it to widen the area of effect of... shoot, the spell that brings a column of fire down on a targeted location. Can never remember the name. Anyway, under Divinity it has a wider AoE which is sometimes handy --- can wipe out an entire spawn before they even see me.

Toggling into Divinity, firing the augmented Encounter power and then toggling OUT of Divinity mode takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature.
  • Options
    hilstonhilston Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really helpful advice thanks all. I understand now it is not meant as a long term "stance" but rather tab in and out when required. This will make the game easier but will take some practice, I am not fully used to the left hand on the buttons technique of playing I have always been a mouse player. Terrible I know but with arthritis in my hands it ain't so easy.

Anyway thanks for the advice

Cheers

Hilston
  • Options
    khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    hilston wrote: »
    This will make the game easier but will take some practice, I am not fully used to the left hand on the buttons technique of playing I have always been a mouse player. Terrible I know but with arthritis in my hands it ain't so easy.
    I actually play using a joystick rather than keyboard. It feels much more comfortable rather than the claw over the keyboard. The software that came with it allows its movements and buttons to be mapped to keypresses and the buttons/cone/trigger cover most of the things I need to do.
  • Options
    shultzillashultzilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hopefully, you've only spent one point in Searing Light. Sub par skill at best and you can get away with 1 point until 15 when you get Chains of Blazing Light. I recommend 3 points here. At level 20, you'll get Daunting Light, I recommend another 3 here. Chains + Daunting will burn through most mobs while soloing. Anything still alive afterwards, such as the bigger mobs, can be At-Willed down, or Divinity Left Click. Take whatever you want as a 3rd encounter. HW works best for me.