test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DDO and NWDDO

jazzneojazzneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
i notice this 2 game start at the beach when dragon destroy your boat. do all dungeon and dragon start that way lol
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What does that teach you. Boats are evil and they pick fights with dragons. Fights they never win. Stupid boats.
  • silence1k1llsilence1k1ll Member Posts: 148 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    .......what?
    I ENJOY PLAYING NWO
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Picking a fight with dragons on a boat is a bad tactical maneuver.
  • drizztstarkdrizztstark Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    Originally Everquest 2 likewise began with a boat v dragon encounter.

Apparently the survival of being shipwrecked by a dragon unlocks hero potential.
    Slaad - Tiefling Great Weapon Fighter
  • jazzneojazzneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    .......what?

in the beginning of the game you start out at beach with nothing on and ddo does that to
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dragon's Dogma the hero is forged on a beach by a Dragon attack.

At our table teh group is forged in a bar brawl.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    Dragon's Dogma the hero is forged on a beach by a Dragon attack.

At our table teh group is forged in a bar brawl.

Dragon's Dogma a great game but the pawns , I wish they would shut up U__U"
  • delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    somehow we all made out swim checks.
    When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I noticed that. It was pretty funny.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Surviving against all odds (dragon + possibility of drowning) is the mark of a hero :)
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    DDO's tutorial area used to be quite different. First you went to a small island to do some quests that showed you how some of the mechanics of the game worked, then you went to the port in Stormreach and did a few quests there before you could visit the rest of the harbor area. When they redid the tutorial, the port got closed until it reopened as the Inspired Quarter.
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Age of Conan ALSO starts with you shipwrecked. Many characters start with 'broken oar' as a weapon. ;)

Also, OF COURSE boats are evil -- I don't know about you guys, but in every D&D campaign I've been involved in (going back 30 years), players avoided ships whenever possible.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Also, OF COURSE boats are evil -- I don't know about you guys, but in every D&D campaign I've been involved in (going back 30 years), players avoided ships whenever possible.

Haha yeah, I still remember BG2's boat crash:)
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    DDO's tutorial area used to be quite different. First you went to a small island to do some quests that showed you how some of the mechanics of the game worked, then you went to the port in Stormreach and did a few quests there before you could visit the rest of the harbor area. When they redid the tutorial, the port got closed until it reopened as the Inspired Quarter.

I just ran my TR through the tutorial, and it's the same as it was when I did it the first time. After the first time, you can skip it, or, if you are rolling a new character, you can choose to skip it if you wish. If you've farmed or purchased Vet status, you won't see the tutorial, although you can go back to Korthos Sunnyside to do the Island quests for Favor. Anyone doing a first roll character there will, however, do the same tutorial.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just ran my TR through the tutorial, and it's the same as it was when I did it the first time. After the first time, you can skip it, or, if you are rolling a new character, you can choose to skip it if you wish. If you've farmed or purchased Vet status, you won't see the tutorial, although you can go back to Korthos Sunnyside to do the Island quests for Favor. Anyone doing a first roll character there will, however, do the same tutorial.

And when the game first started, there was no Korthos.

The game has changed a lot since it came out in 2006.
  • itdude123itdude123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    What does that teach you. Boats are evil and they pick fights with dragons. Fights they never win. Stupid boats.

Yes I have to concur here. The boats in Everquest were riddled with phantom MadMen and Sharks.... Boats are a bad omen any way you slice it!
  • galvayragalvayra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well i guess they are trying to make it a thing .. you know how in all the elder scrolls games you start as a prisoner .
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
  • drizztstarkdrizztstark Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    Boats on FFXI were fun as well!
    Slaad - Tiefling Great Weapon Fighter
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm actually thinking of having a shipwreck beginning to a Foundry mission...

Maybe complete with 'Oh INFERNALS, not again!!'
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • porkfatrulesporkfatrules Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Age of Conan ALSO starts with you shipwrecked. Many characters start with 'broken oar' as a weapon. ;)

I was going to say Age of Conan started the same way, and I laughed when I first spoke to the person on the beach, because my son and I have a running joke that started when you spoke to the guy in Age of Conan, and he said, "BY THE GODS!". Of course this guys says, "THANK THE GODS!"...
  • toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Originally Everquest 2 likewise began with a boat v dragon encounter.

Apparently the survival of being shipwrecked by a dragon unlocks hero potential.

ROFLMAO!

It is just an epic level way to say the world is dangerous by sea. Pirates must be powerful!
  • toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013

In almost every game I played in, shipfaring was never even explored. In the ones I ran, everyone wanted it so they got it. Depending on the setting, ship travel was either easy ot difficult; dangers abound as well. I had one where a mad whale landed on the deck of their ship as undead tried to claw their way out of its belly. And later ppirates with an airship tried to take the entire boat.

Yet entire campaigns where ship travel was story and training and nothing more.
  • mageor0lmageor0l Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Shipwreck is basically the same as the prisoner thing in the elder scrolls.

It is just a better explanation for a mighty char (who will slay whole armies of monsters 2 hours later) without any equipment than waking up at the docks naked and totally wasted.

Shipwreck is the swiss army knife of story telling if you are simply too lazy to think of something innovative WHY exactly the char is a naked wimp.
  • zophie#5279 zophie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mageor0l wrote: »
    Shipwreck is the swiss army knife of story telling

Classic Example from Link's Awakening:

linksawakeningshipwreck600x352.jpg

On a side note, this game is not called NWDDO. It's just Neverwinter. If you insist on using an acronym just say NW.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    Most people don't know this, but originally Gary Gygax was going to call his game "Boats and Dragons". Dave Arneson talked him out of it.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skeletons, don't forget bout the skeletons that for some reason arise and decide they wat to kill you... whatever you did to that 100 y-o sack of bones? You'll never know...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o