test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Renegade Control Wizard -- Stats, Feats and Powers (oh my!)

Comments

• Options
    jyhxjyhx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a question about Masterful Arcane Theft (5/5), This talent is very usefull if you can keep some chill on your target, but with this build you just have Chill Strike and it's not enought.

What you can tell me about this choice please ?
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Masterful Arcane Theft grants damage bonus to RoE and Steal Time based on the stacks of chill on targets and stacks of Arcane Mastery on the caster. When you cast Steal Time with more than one target in range, you'll have a max stack of AM by the time you deal damage.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes i'm agree with you, but if your target is not chill you loose the 10% damage bonus.
  • Options
    zellistazellista Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Masterful Arcane Theft grants damage bonus to RoE and Steal Time based on the stacks of chill on targets and stacks of Arcane Mastery on the caster. When you cast Steal Time with more than one target in range, you'll have a max stack of AM by the time you deal damage.
    Did anyone even test this out though? That the additional damage from AM works even without a chill stack? The wording seems to suggest that if the target is chilled, your ST/ROE deals 10% more damage AND whatever amount of AM stacks you have *5%. There is a big difference there, depending on how it works.
  • Options
    kondesitokondesito Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Given that Astral Shield is a Divine Cleric power that affects defenses and Evocation is a Control Wizard power that affects offense, I'd say that the two have no interaction at all.

Arf feeling so <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> now change astral shield for shield only the CW skill >.<
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And i just saw, on Boss or Big mob chill stay 0.5 sec max it's hard to have an opinion on this talent :/.
  • Options
    dacovedacove Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wouldn't Bitter Cold be a better option than Snap Freeze atm for Tieflings considering Snap Freeze is apparently buggy as well. I know bosses can't be frozen or have stacks of Chill built on them, but they are still "afflicted" by Chill until they wipe the effect.
  • Options
    bosheiboshei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So the one thing I didn't see in this guide is State Ratings and which order you should prioritize them. Currently I'm at 4.1k Power, 2.5k Recovery, 700 Crit and 500 Armor Pen. From what I can figure out there seems to be a soft cap on Recovery around 35% (like 2100 ish), but I may be wrong. So at this point I'm looking for more crit than recovery.

How good is armor pen has anyone been able to test it out?
  • Options
    lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    boshei wrote: »
    So the one thing I didn't see in this guide is State Ratings and which order you should prioritize them. Currently I'm at 4.1k Power, 2.5k Recovery, 700 Crit and 500 Armor Pen. From what I can figure out there seems to be a soft cap on Recovery around 35% (like 2100 ish), but I may be wrong. So at this point I'm looking for more crit than recovery.

How good is armor pen has anyone been able to test it out?

It's extremely good, it scaled just as well as crit does. The OP seems to think you only want to have around 1550, not sure why, the soft cap is quite a bit higher than that, but I am using it (cleared 4/4 CN) and I'm loving it.

People who stack recovery are just doing it wrong, it DR's hard after the softcap, which is actually closer to 3k. I am running similar stats to the OP, with a bit more recovery because I have the CN MH/OH and my armor pen is at 2k (probably just from higher quality gems).

I think that it's funny that Pyrotechnic Band only goes to 70-80k AD on the AH here on Dragon, when it's basically the best DPS ring for you and your pet in the game.
  • Options
    honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tend to agree about most of the stats and staying far from when the softcaps get harder. I'm not a fan of Armor Penetration though, so right now my stats (with stat pet) are:
    Power 3572
    Crit: 3027
    Armor Pen: 282
    Recovery 3573

Which leaves me at 36.2% crit, 45.3% Recharge and 34.3% Action Paint Gain.

Overall I feel pretty good about it. I've got most of the main abilities up to decent levels before the falloffs really hit hard, and it has worked out pretty well so far.
  • Options
    zierzozierzo Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Deleted, see reason below
  • Options
    rhodahrhodah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    which Orb is best at lvl 60 when I have renegade build. Is it better to go for max power because I already have enough crit? Or better choose an Orb with crit on it.
  • Options
    honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rhodah wrote: »
    which Orb is best at lvl 60 when I have renegade build. Is it better to go for max power because I already have enough crit? Or better choose an Orb with crit on it.

Whatever you can get with the highest base damage. Once you get into 60 epics you will need to diversify stats anyways.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jyhx wrote: »
    I have a question about Masterful Arcane Theft (5/5), This talent is very usefull if you can keep some chill on your target, but with this build you just have Chill Strike and it's not enought.

What you can tell me about this choice please ?

Slot Icy Terrain, damage isnt great, but you will make it up a little with Masterful Arcane, while also providing another decent level of CC.
    Tabbed Chill Strike, Icy Terrain, Steal Time, Shield is good for 95% of the T1/T2 content.
    On Boss fights you can replace Icy Terrain with RoE, OR replace Chill Strike with Entangling Force, depending on your role.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    magudiego86magudiego86 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Friend, you could show your gear?

am lost and do not know what it should use
  • Options
    kimosami8kimosami8 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    Loved your guide when I made my wizard, but the Ioun Stone of Allure is superior to the cat I'm afraid.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    Slot Icy Terrain, damage isnt great, but you will make it up a little with Masterful Arcane, while also providing another decent level of CC.
    Tabbed Chill Strike, Icy Terrain, Steal Time, Shield is good for 95% of the T1/T2 content.
    On Boss fights you can replace Icy Terrain with RoE, OR replace Chill Strike with Entangling Force, depending on your role.

Plus I've realized that Icy Terrain is pretty useful in PVP. Not like.. tangibly useful (aside from hitting rogues who stealth nearby) but in so far that people freak out about it and try to avoid it/move rather than fight. Plus if it hits a few people the extra crit severity is nice.
  • Options
    lariandesalverlariandesalver Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    Im a renegade. You should try using the shield repell in Epics. It instantly refills your Action Points on a ton of Adds and being able to pop a singularity every 15 secs is a must to do, especially if youre the solo CW. Steal time is inferior to that in terms of Action points regen as it doesnt affect too many enemies it seems. What I do is standing close (ofc not always possible) to boss, hammering it with missiles, popping a singularity behind me, shield knockback em all while they are sucked in (they wont be knocked around but continue to get sucked in, thus negating knockback effect), hammering the boss again steal time after -> AP refreshed, singularity again. The more mobs the better this works and you control the entire ADDforce by yourself.

And as a bonus to all this, you often outdamage the rogue :P
  • Options
    schulz87schulz87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    people usually underestimate icy terrain uses on t1 t2 dungeon, the chill on mobs really saves the trouble on a big pack of mobs chasing clerics or CWs, guess lots of people didnt get icy terrain, its a great utility IMO
  • Options
    temporaryd00dtemporaryd00d Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    'm level 58 and I'm really unsure on what to spend my points/paragon on if any. So far here are my maxed skills/ feats.
    Skills:
    MM
    RoF
    Chill Strike
    Orb of Imp
    Ice Storm
    CoI
    Entangling Force
    Arcane Singularity
    Arcane presence
    Shield
    RoE
    Steal Time
    Ice Terrain
    Ice Knife
    Storm Spell
    SoEA
    Eye of the Storm

Paragon:
    Reaper Touch
    Nightmare Wizardry
    Phantasmal Destruction
    Master Arcane theft
    Chaos Magic
    Malevolent Surge

I beleive I have 3 more points left for kills/paragon and don't know what else to spend them on. Help?
  • Options
    godsfist1godsfist1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Im a renegade. You should try using the shield repell in Epics. It instantly refills your Action Points on a ton of Adds and being able to pop a singularity every 15 secs is a must to do, especially if youre the solo CW. Steal time is inferior to that in terms of Action points regen as it doesnt affect too many enemies it seems. What I do is standing close (ofc not always possible) to boss, hammering it with missiles, popping a singularity behind me, shield knockback em all while they are sucked in (they wont be knocked around but continue to get sucked in, thus negating knockback effect), hammering the boss again steal time after -> AP refreshed, singularity again. The more mobs the better this works and you control the entire ADDforce by yourself.

And as a bonus to all this, you often outdamage the rogue :P

possible to see a vid on that :D?

im so ****ing unsure if i should go renegade or Thaumaturge xD
  • Options
    noniussnoniuss Member Posts: 43
    edited June 2013
    Loving this guide so much :P
    Anyway my preferences for PvP would be:
    TAB: Enfeebling ray.
    Q: Entangling force,
    E: Chill strike
    R: Shield
    1: Singularity
    2: Ice knife
    Passive: eye of the storm, storm spell

BTW - the full rotation is insta-kill 1v1 mostly:
    Open with a Enfeebling ray/chill strike (depends on how close i am to enemy), , then entangling force, second cast of ray, ice knife (if its up and if its necessary), then repeat. Oh, yah - blast 'em with magic missiles when i can. This definitely kills if rye of the storm procs or if you use ice knife.
    BTW - gotta love Ice Knife crit - been dealing as much as 15 k dmg with one hit. Its so funny to use it on some nasty, greedy rogues that feel so cool, cuz they can get close to me and deal insane damage - i remember kiting one TR across the whole map, just to one-shot him with Ice Knife, once my storm proc'd. Maaan, that guy was pissed :P
  • Options
    micjijimicjiji Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    so can anyone please tell me is it worth going tenebrous enchant for pve?
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    micjiji wrote: »
    so can anyone please tell me is it worth going tenebrous enchant for pve?

I went to Lesser Tenebrous and wasn't all that impressed at all. Switched to Rank5 Armor Penetration and saw a huge difference. People say that you need Greater Tenebrous to notice the difference. I don't think it is worth the cost at all, given that our main purpose is to "control" adds. Doing a ton of damage just happens as a side bonus, and only to emphasize the fact that GWFs are in dire need of SOMETHING. Spending all that AD on Greater Tenebrous doesn't contribute an OUNCE to the CN Draco fight and other T2 final bosses. In all honestly, the only thing it "may" do is boost your ego when you look at the final score card, and I emphasize "may". Everything I said is with regards to PvE. PvP wise, it is more useful.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    maggusmaggusmaggusmaggus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Love how animated you are! :) ty vm for all the info!!
  • Options
    malkaviermalkavier Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    I went to Lesser Tenebrous and wasn't all that impressed at all. Switched to Rank5 Armor Penetration and saw a huge difference. People say that you need Greater Tenebrous to notice the difference. I don't think it is worth the cost at all, given that our main purpose is to "control" adds. Doing a ton of damage just happens as a side bonus, and only to emphasize the fact that GWFs are in dire need of SOMETHING. Spending all that AD on Greater Tenebrous doesn't contribute an OUNCE to the CN Draco fight and other T2 final bosses. In all honestly, the only thing it "may" do is boost your ego when you look at the final score card, and I emphasize "may". Everything I said is with regards to PvE. PvP wise, it is more useful.

Not even useful then, it has an internal CD that isn't mentioned in the tooltip, and the proc chance is low even then, at approximately 1% if using a Greater or Perfect. You'd be better dumping in R5+ Radiant or Azure enchantments than Tenebrous. In all honesty, Holy Avenger would probably be the best bet in at least one slot because apparently nothing in the game resists Radiant damage, and Radiant damage actually seems to affect Undead, Drow, Duergar and Illthids even more (stuff you'll constantly be fighting later in the end-game).

Edit: Tenebrous also seems to not stack or have synergy with Eye of the Storm or any CW feats that provide bonus to crit or damage.

Edit 2: Tenebrous USED to work better prior to some of the recent patches. It is my belief they stealth patched it to lower the synergy with feats and procs, and the total damage output.
    How Cryptic trolls the entire NWO playerbase: 9200 GS listed for CN, implying anyone who needs more has no skill.
  • Options
    mobabymobaby Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Imivo, top guide. thank you. Have taken the liberty to post a link and a screenshot of feats/powers selection to my guild website (with full credit to you ofc) for ease of reference :)

Questions:

Sudden Storm: Lightning dmg, I assumed, without really thinking about it that this was buffed by stacks of arcane mastery, then a guildie questioned me about it and now, well, I'm thinking that assumption was dead wrong and that lightning dmg is lightning dmg, not arcane related in any way whatsoever. Could you guys clarify for me pls?

Also, A question re: Weapon Enhancement and Armor Enhancement slots. I read somewhere in this thread that the plaguefire enhancement is best for weapon slots, is that confirmed definitively? As for the armor slot, what are you guys running with and again is there a definitive BiS enhancement for this?

Many thanks and great thread guys.

Ellie Mental (in-game name)
  • Options
    astronaxastronax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Shield:
    It's not needed in group PvE.

Well, u can read no further, young wizards. This is pretty much b**it, no offense, seems just like author never played high-lvl pve.
  • Options
    asbraytasbrayt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    imivo can you download a screenshot of the powers?
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Okay, after reading the notes for the upcoming balancing patch, this build will need some tweaks (like all builds for all classes). It is fine for the current live version of the game, and they announced a free respec token for when the patch is released.

I'll delay my thoughts on stats until then as well.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
This discussion has been closed.