test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Augment Companion and Indomitable Runestone

thefyfethefyfe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I recently purchased an Ioun Stone from the zen store and was really excited at the prospects of having a faux-companion that just gives me raw buffs.

I've collected several types of runestones from adventuring and lockboxes. One in particular I decided to try this time around was the "Indomitable Runestone". The second tier variant enhances pet powers by adding an additional 20% damage bonus. Since this augment companion provides all of it's bonuses to it's wearer, I was very eager to apply it. Unfortunately, this particular rune appears to be completely useless on augment companions. It isn't adding any damage to my powers at all.

The issue here is that the game does not inform the player of this limitation. The tool tips provide no information or warning. Further, all runestones cost Astral Diamonds to remove. A runestone of this tier and quality is ultra expensive to unbind (in my case, coming close to the value of the runestone itself).

On one hand I feel like I should have researched the matter a little more closely before applying the runestone to my augment companion. However, there is also a huge lack of clear information for these companions and their limitations. Do any runestones work at all for example? I have no idea - the game doesn't say. Can I stack XP pet bonus runes and expect my character to receive the benefit? What about pet bonuses to power, defense or critical strike?

These are the only two definitions I could find in the game.

The zen store description: "This floating colorful gem augments its owner's ratings with its own."
The item tooltip description: "Ioun Stones grant bonuses to the wearer while they are summoned."

As you can see, both of these vague descriptions do not really provide any real information at all.

If Cryptic sees this, please at least add a "This runestone has no effect on augment-type companions" note on the runestone. HUGE BONUS points if you make it so the runestone cannot be inserted into the companions at all.
Post edited by thefyfe on

Comments

• tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I forget, if that's the runestone that says it adds to a companions attacks, then it's logical that it doesn't do anything for you, since the companion doesn't do any attacks. Just reminds me of how wishes were that you had to be very careful how you worded them in pen and paper. ;)
  • thefyfethefyfe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    I forget, if that's the runestone that says it adds to a companions attacks, then it's logical that it doesn't do anything for you, since the companion doesn't do any attacks. Just reminds me of how wishes were that you had to be very careful how you worded them in pen and paper. ;)

And with that logic, NONE of the runestones would work. You're right - my companion doesn't attack or have a defense, or even HP. Therefore all of those other runes wouldn't apply now would they?
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That would be so OP... which is why I'm shocked that it doesn't work. Could it be Cryptic plugged a potential hole that could break their game?

My forums senses say, "Not intentionally".

Give it a week it'll probably work by then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thedeadstarthedeadstar Member Posts: 201
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't overwriting Runestones simply work? Works for equipment parts at least without having to unbind the old stone.
    Shinis
    Tong Lv86
    Server: Jian [DE]
  • thefyfethefyfe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't overwriting Runestones simply work? Works for equipment parts at least without having to unbind the old stone.

No. The only way to replace the existing one is to remove/unbind the old one first.
  • shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thefyfe wrote: »
    No. The only way to replace the existing one is to remove/unbind the old one first.

I suggest you try to drag a new runestone over an existing runestone and tell me what happens.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thefyfe wrote: »
    And with that logic, NONE of the runestones would work. You're right - my companion doesn't attack or have a defense, or even HP. Therefore all of those other runes wouldn't apply now would they?

Except that those add to the companions stats, which the ioun stone says it gives you. The indomitable runestone on the other hand says it adds to the companions attacks, which it doesn't do.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • xen1912xen1912 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    augmented companions are supposed to give you stats and that's it. all runestones work, except the indomitable one. if you put a defense runestone, you gain the defense of that rune.

• platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's your fault, not the devs. I have an Ioun Stone. I looked at that augment, saw that it added extra damage to the companion's attacks, took less than a moment to consider that the stone doesn't attack, and didn't use that one.

I think you're trolling. You can't be that oblivious. Right?
    edited May 2013
    platinu wrote: »
    I think you're trolling. You can't be that oblivious. Right?

Thanks for contributing nothing.

I take that back. Your signature was quite helpful.
  • ezaphielezaphiel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited July 2013
    Lol, that was a real good rebuttal! I agree with you that many things are not communicated fairly and clearly to players and this can be vexing, esp when certain issues are money related. There are many bugs still, like the greater indormitable stone's workability, acolyte of kelemvor's lifesteal (sometimes nullified when you idle and then activate her again) and earlier on the eldritch stones not stacking etc. not sure if you know by now the unbind feature is NOT working yet, even if you have all the diamonds in the world :)
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    platinu wrote: »
    It's your fault, not the devs. I have an Ioun Stone. I looked at that augment, saw that it added extra damage to the companion's attacks, took less than a moment to consider that the stone doesn't attack, and didn't use that one.

Buyers remorse usually comes after skipping the fine print. But this time the print really isn't all that small, as it's clearly advertised the stone has no attack.