test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Skill Kits failure rate

ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Has anyone else been paying attention to how often a skill kit breaks while being used? Over the past week I just happened to notice that the Skill Kits seem to breaking quite frequently. Today I kept track, and the first five in a row that I used broke. By the end of the session I was 5 for 11, so a 45.4% success rate, seeing as how they supposed to work 75% of the time, it make me think something might be wrong. However it could just be that I have had a run of bad luck. Anybody else notice this?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by ordensmarschall on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Has anyone else been paying attention to how often a skill kit breaks while being used? Over the past week I just happened to notice that the Skill Kits seem to breaking quite frequently. Today I kept track, and the first five in a row that I used broke. By the end of the session I was 5 for 11, so a 45.4% success rate, seeing as how they supposed to work 75% of the time, it make me think something might be wrong. However it could just be that I have had a run of bad luck. Anybody else notice this?

I hear ya. However, keep in mind that is a very small sample size. Here's what I suggest - keep a piece of paper near your comp, and put a tic mark for every attempt that succeeded and one for every failure (in different columns), and compile a lot more results. If you got 100 or more, and it was still far off from the 75% rate listed, then you'd at least have some ammunition to go on...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    zedmuszedmus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I have noticed I have a low chance sometimes as well. And every time I have failed 3-5 Fails follow right after. There has not been one time since I started that I have only failed once and next time be a success.
  • Options
    llewelyn89llewelyn89 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought it was broken too - did a sample of just over 100 and came out at 72%, which is fine for a smallish sample. I convinced myself it was a perception thing & I was only really noticing the fails.
  • Options
    odd111outodd111out Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did notice a small increase in failure rates after I had a level 60 character. Also in areas where I had completed the map.
  • Options
    xunxanxunxan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure I've had long streaks both ways, which is to be expected.
    Never kept track though, to get a real probability sample.
    Some nodes are 65% though, if you watch the mouseover.
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The skill kits are a 75% chance per use. It does not include previous uses in the calculations to reach that 75% ratio.
  • Options
    kinada350kinada350 Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    xunxan wrote: »
    I'm sure I've had long streaks both ways, which is to be expected.
    Never kept track though, to get a real probability sample.
    Some nodes are 65% though, if you watch the mouseover.

Wrong the mouseover always says 75%, the tooltip says 65% on the items. So like every other tooltip it's completely uninformative.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I had thought it might have been a perception thing on my part, but I think I will keep track for a bit. Then again today's patch included fixes to Skill Nodes on the maps I had been to over the past week. I'll see how it turns out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Use 1000 in total to get any reliable source of % rate.
  • Options
    woochangsilverwoochangsilver Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the Skill Kits are based off a 200% math Formula. 75% chance success rate 25% failure and 100% aggravation
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For me everything seems normal except the arcane skill kits. Beginning this weekend those now fail about 75% of the time. 10 fails on a single node is now pretty common.
  • Options
    khatzhaskhatzhas Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The rate of fail the first time you try seems about right. However, I have noticed that if you do fail, you seem to have a much higher chance for the second attempt to fail: seems to be over 50%.
  • Options
    ulyxosulyxos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    Yeah i think there seem to be a kink in their algorythm. Failure tend to be in streaks which should be rare given there is a much higher chance of success than failure. The should get semi rarely streaks of 2, streaks of 3 pretty rarely and so on ... i often get streaks of 4-5 failures which would with 0.75 success rate means i pretty often hit odds lower than 1/100 (closer to 1/1000 in fact). Given those odds, i should at least have a couple epic nightmares to sell ;).
  • Options
    argonacargonac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This 'skill kit fails, but you can try again' is just a bad design in the first place. All it does is makes people have to click on the device again (and spend a few extra silver pieces for more kits). People dont' generally want to keep clicking until they succeed.

A better solution would be that you can click on the device once and if the kit fails, then you won't get loot from that node period. That would also give you a better feeling about actually having the said skill in addition to not having to stand there clicking on a device again and again.
  • Options
    b0r7b0r7 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    argonac wrote: »
    This 'skill kit fails, but you can try again' is just a bad design in the first place. All it does is makes people have to click on the device again (and spend a few extra silver pieces for more kits). People dont' generally want to keep clicking until they succeed.

^^ dude almost has it, but it is bad design by intent. "People don't generally want to keep clicking" is incorrect, "People generally click until they succeed" because we as humans are just dumb animals....its like Pavlov and his dogs, humans will keep clicking with their tool kits cause the skill/node is like a bell and you are salivating for the treasure you think you will get from the node. So you try and try again, only to have it fail. So, you ask...why does it fail so often? The unknown answer that only Cryptic/PWE know, but its probably a money sink...but the answer I can give you is that 1) There are different tiers of nodes since some are so difficult, which eats into your kits hence the money sink 2) It isn't worth your time, save your money and just use what kits you do get while relying on your class skill, if you run out...don't sweat it since its obvious the rewards are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> most of the time and loot is the same from the floor after killing NPC.
  • Options
    dndjessdndjess Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    I have run low-level quests where in the course of one "dungeon", I have at least 3 nodes fail 3 times. At a 25% failure rate, there is about a 1.5% chance of any single node failing 3 times. So this occurring 3 times in the same quest dungeon should be nearly impossible.
  • Options
    argonacargonac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    b0r7 wrote: »
    ^^ dude almost has it, but it is bad design by intent. "People don't generally want to keep clicking" is incorrect, "People generally click until they succeed" because we as humans are just dumb animals....its like Pavlov and his dogs, humans will keep clicking with their tool kits cause the skill/node is like a bell and you are salivating for the treasure you think you will get from the node. So you try and try again, only to have it fail. So, you ask...why does it fail so often? The unknown answer that only Cryptic/PWE know, but its probably a money sink...but the answer I can give you is that 1) There are different tiers of nodes since some are so difficult, which eats into your kits hence the money sink 2) It isn't worth your time, save your money and just use what kits you do get while relying on your class skill, if you run out...don't sweat it since its obvious the rewards are <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> most of the time and loot is the same from the floor after killing NPC.

You may be indeed right in that people get 'stuck' clicking the item.

I believe there is a weight of history breathing in on the design meeting where this thing was concocted. Other games have had gathering skills and nodes, and they have also had a chance to fail without a permanent penalty. You would just click on that node until you succeeded. World of warcraft (please don't let this example derail the thread or my point) has done away with this practice, now awarding less reward for a 'failed' attempt but no more requiring more clicks on the node. They have done this for specifically the reason that it is not interesting content to have 'elusive' nodes.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kinada350 wrote: »
    Wrong the mouseover always says 75%, the tooltip says 65% on the items. So like every other tooltip it's completely uninformative.
    Umm, no? There are plenty 65% nodes in later game areas.
  • Options
    lowsiderlowsider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    When mine fail it is in streaks...perhaps I should take the first failure as a "no means no" and move on :p
    Lowsider, "I don't crash often but when I do, it's a lowside."
  • Options
    morvek01morvek01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I rarely fail a use but I have noticed that when I do fail it's almost always at least 2-3 and sometimes 4 failures before I get a loot window.
    If you can't be constructive in your criticism, go back to world-of-whiners.
  • Options
    cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    rng is rng you can have 99% success rate and stil fail 10 times in a row..... its based on each use.... so even after a 100 kits how ever unlikely you could of failed 100 times.