test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can we have an 'XP LOCK' toggle? I'm leveling too fast...

keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
First, this isn't a complaint. I like that I don't have to grind in this game (or any Cryptic game I've played) to progress. In STO you gain a level after every story mission. I love that. It keeps things moving.

But I'm leveling so fast I can't even finish one area or a dungeon before I start getting quests for another. I leveled so quickly in my 30s that I got confused as to where I was supposed to go as I was unlocking quests because my level went up too fast, not because I'd completed the others.

I can't use any of my crafted gear because I can't grind it up fast enough to keep up with my character. My daily invocations give me so much XP I'm leveling off of that alone at times. The friends I want to play with don't have enough time to keep up with me, so I stopped doing quests to wait for them, but the PvP I was doing skyrocketed me in level.

I'd have concerns about people locking XP at 39 or 49 or something for PvP and just playing there to gain glory, but I'm not sure if that even makes sense.

I'd just like to be able to play without worrying about making the game even more unchallenging by trying to do all the missions, despite being entirely over-leveled for them.

Or...just make it so my level drops to match the party leader like it does in STO.
Post edited by keeganfox on

Comments

• keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It just seems to me that if this is supposed to be about "Dungeons & Dragons" I should be able to enjoy the game when my group isn't online, but be able to gain Celestial coins and PvP when I'm alone without completely out-leveling them.
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    That is a really clever idea!

I've been racking my brains about this problem, but I couldn't find an answer. As a singleplayer (I don't do any of the group content) I find the XP rate just perfect. I'm always at the right level for the next quest and I haven't had to do any grinding.

But I realise that a lot of players, who are trying to experience all the game has to offer, are earning XP too fast and out-leveling the content. For the life of me, I couldn't think of any way to fix this that would work for both styles of play. You sir have just solved it!

+1 from me.
  • roleprolep Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree me and my friends got blocked from doing a dungeon because i was to high level, i feel like im being punished because i leveled up too much.
  • keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    You sir have just solved it!

+1 from me.

success-baby.jpg
  • run0ffrun0ff Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't give them ideas as you may find De-level Stones for 100Zen per lvl :)
    edited May 2013
    I don't mind them having ideas; not gonna buy the 'delevel' stones :) I'd still like the ability to lock myself from leveling up any further.

A ticker on how much XP I 'passed up on' would be interesting too. Give out a title if you pass certain milestones of it.
  • pashganpashgan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Without subscription fee devs don't want you to waste their valuable server resources while leveling your toon for months. So - fast leveling or no leveling at all in some F2P games.

Want slow leveling? Find a subscription-only game.
  • zentucknorzentucknor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The leveling system in game is to fast anyway. I mean first to 5th in maybe 2 days and then after that each level should take longer, 30 to 40 should be a two to three week affair.
    Ever ask a halfling to watch over your stuff while you visit the privy? Was it there when you returned?
    Friar Kalien of Torm
    10.jpg
    edited May 2013
    I thought I was pretty clear that I was happy with the speed at which you level. This (As in many Cryptic games [which is why I play them]) level you up very quickly.

I don't want it to turn into a grindfest or I'd just go play another game; and they don't want that. F2P that target casual gamers do so because they know we have little time to play because we work. As people who work, we have more money to spend than those who do not.

I just want to play games with my friends. If I wanted to go play by myself I'd buy an XBox.

If you want a grindfest plenty of those already exist. I just want to play and skip the leveling from time to time. It's in my control if it's a toggle.
  • gummibear2gummibear2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would prefer a downscaling to the lvl of the content, rather than an xp lock, this would mean yes even a lvl 60 would be able to do normal clocktower without overpowering the mobs, and thus well could do all dungeons and all skirmish on normal as a max lvl character, and you could actually play with your friend even with your max lvl character, would be a lot more dynamic than a xplock, and much less prone to exploitation i think, as well as actually open up the WHOLE world for you to travel in and have fun being in as a lvl 60, by not loloneshotting everything(yes something kinda like GW2 did is what i want, was one of the best feature of that game).

So i kinda need a forth option in the pool, something along the lines of "I prefer a different approach, will post how"
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As odd as it sounds, I actually support this. I'm a dabbler, i've been trying a bit of everything. As such I bounce from alt to alt....dabbling. Its been a juggling match trying to keep on top of it all. I gain XP just by working on crafting. I get XP just doing my daily invoke.

I shelved a character for a weekend to focus on an alt. And two days of invoking pushed me past the entry point of a Skrimish I wanted to try. I shouldn't have to worry that i'm resting a character so much that i'm going miss out on stuff.

As it is, i've had to stop doing any kind of daily. And forget doing foundry stuff, that is out of the question at this point. I even gained a level doing two failed Mad Dragon runs. I'm actually not willing to do another run, simply because i'm over leveled as it is, despite really wanting to beat it. I'm level 36 and Just starting Helms hold. I will more then likely level past Ebon Downs before I even get there.

My various alts arnt faring much better either. I reaching a point where im going to have to choose between missing content or missing out on daily coins. And im really not happy with either option.
    edited May 2013
    Gummibear, I like the way the 'Match leader's level' works in STO, and I think what you said would work pretty well, especially if it's a toggle in the control of the player.

I know I've gotten my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> kicked in a mission before with friends in STO and finally just said "OK, enough." and turned to level 50 again and mopped the level with my character, if only so we could progress, and because it was satisfying. I'm up for anything that is a toggle in the control of the player that cannot be exploited.

I just suggested the XP lock because it seemed easier to implement for the Devs than STO's solution.

Edit: And...upon consideration, also because I don't want to "go back". I'd rather be 'finished' with an area before I progress, so I don't have to go "Uh..ok, what were we doing here? What was the storyline I'm supposed to be doing? Who is the bad guy?"
    The entire fun of this game is the storyline and I really enjoy that. It'd be easier if I could stay in an area, do the skirmish and dungeon there as they're not just random; they're part of the storyline, before I get a sense of closure before moving onto another area.
  • g4stg4st Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree,was about to make a thread about it me too. I appreciate the fact that the game does not feel grindy. To have holes in the content and have to grind 6 levels it's ugly,but here we reached the opposite,which doesn't feel right at the same exact way.
    I mean,if i <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> i get 1250xp,really. They just need to remove xp from praying and professions,then it all will be fine.
    edited May 2013
    Well then you'd need to remove XP from PvP too. I outleveled most of my missions on my CW from PvP alone.

A little notice when you hit the max level for the dungeon or skirmish in the area you're fighting would be nice, while asking "Would you like to lock your XP to stay at this level now?" would be great. I'd no idea I missed a skirmish when I hit level 35 (I think) and was really disappointed I never got to see it.

Or heck, every time you hit a level cap for an area/skirmish/dungeon, a little notification (that you can turn off if you so wish) letting you know you're about to lose the ability to go into those. For us completionists.
  • ganktankganktank Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with this idea. I mainly want it for the purpose of farming low lvl zones for random loot to appearance my gear with lol, I've found a few things along the way like the Mancleaver which is a dagger that looks like a 1h Axe :P

It wouldn't need to turn exp off in specific areas of the game like the post above me says in pvp, it could just be a snipet of code that upon XP Gain via Quest/Mob/Dungeon/Daily etc are all determined by a boolean of whether xp gain is true or false, if its false no exp given, if its true the correct amount of exp is given.
  • g4stg4st Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    keeganfox wrote: »
    Well then you'd need to remove XP from PvP too. I outleveled most of my missions on my CW from PvP alone.

PvP is a bit more delicate matter,if they would remove xp in there,we would have Twinks camping arenas and ruining the game experience to "normal" players.
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. I would like to be able to not miss out on content due to leveling. For example, I really liked the Neverdeath quests and the stories behind them. But, having done everything plus crafting/invocations/etc., I've been getting many notices about higher level areas. And I start missing out on Dungeons and Skirmishes that I wanted to experience.

Speaking of, are the caps for various things listen anywhere? How can I find out what level caps are in place?
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
    edited May 2013
    Speaking of, are the caps for various things listen anywhere? How can I find out what level caps are in place?

Ive been making use of this a ton lately. http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Skirmish Its sad that a lot of these only have a level range of 2 or 3 levels and once missed you can never do them at all with that character ever.
  • mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree with your post. I have played since Guardian launch and I have been trying to take it slow. I don't see the point in getting to 60 as fast as possible when the 60 content isn't even finished. I would rather wait to level when more gear has been implemented into the game as well. I stopped running dungeons and quests at lvl 20. Now all I do is invoke and leadership for the AD. I am now lvl 25. I feel like I am missing out on content and the knowledge of how to use my character in combat.

My opinion, and I do not expect anyone to share it as we are all free thinkers, is take away the xp gained from non combat. You gain crafting xp from crafting, should you really gain combat xp as well? After all it is your minion that is doing all the work while you hang out in town. Well atleast while I hang out in town. Same with praying. Not really an act of combat so why get combat xp.

I know the grinders and people racing to 60 will disagree and want xp for everything. Maybe next we can get xp for logging in, summoning a mount, using chat, selling and buying on the AH.......
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    run0ff wrote: »
    Don't give them ideas as you may find De-level Stones for 100Zen per lvl :)

It's not a joke. After years of being asked for an XP disabler, LOTRO finally introduced one. In the cash shop. A $5 character-bound item that takes up an equipment slot.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Or they could implement the mentor system. I think it was CoH that had that, maybe? Anyhow it's been a long time but I know there was a game that allowed you to join a group of lower lvl players and it would de-lvl your character and give the rest of the group a small buff.

I know GW2 sort of does it now by de-leveling you to the zone. There was another before it and CoH seems right. Like a side kick system.
  • midnightmaladymidnightmalady Member Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    I would actually love this. I just started pvping yesterday, and within the 1-2 hours I was pvping I shot up 3 levels which is much too fast for me as I'd like to not be that over leveled once I start my questing again.
  • pelkastpelkast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Best idea so far! Please add this or make the leveling slower alltogether.
    edited May 2013
    pelkast wrote: »
    Best idea so far! Please add this or make the leveling slower alltogether.

No need to slow it down. I'm all for options. If folks are fine with it being fast, more power to them. After dabbling around with things, in the future I might find the leveling to slow.

Id just like to have more options. Keep it fast, but allow us a throttle. It seems everyone wins that way.
  • skalexsskalexs Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well,I made 2 char, one for wait my friends in lvl 60 and i playwhit it when i'm alone, and another to play with them. I think it's not so difficult....
  • immortaltenzhiimmortaltenzhi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can we have a x2 XP toggle, I'm leveling too slow. I often find that I'm below the level of the zone the quest line is in (by enough to get a warning upon entering the zone) and occasionally can't continue the quest line until I grind a level or two because the quest requires me to be a certain level to accept it.
    edited May 2013
    Can we have a x2 XP toggle, I'm leveling too slow. I often find that I'm below the level of the zone the quest line is in (by enough to get a warning upon entering the zone) and occasionally can't continue the quest line until I grind a level or two because the quest requires me to be a certain level to accept it.

Invoke twice. :) You'll be good to go. :D Or stream your gameplay online so we can see how you're doing it because we want to do the same.
    edited May 2013
    mic281 wrote: »
    Or they could implement the mentor system. I think it was CoH that had that, maybe? Anyhow it's been a long time but I know there was a game that allowed you to join a group of lower lvl players and it would de-lvl your character and give the rest of the group a small buff.

I know GW2 sort of does it now by de-leveling you to the zone. There was another before it and CoH seems right. Like a side kick system.

I concur. I loved City of Heroes system where they had a 'sidekick'/'mentor' system. CoV did something similar. I'd love to see that in other games: All the health of a higher level character but none of the skills. The problem was seeing higher level content/missions before you got there, and they're out of context. (Not that this was a big deal in CoV since much of it was a grindfest/redundant/procedural missions)

I'd rather drop my higher level character down to old missions to level up my friend to my level so we can play together. (Not that those ever wind up matching up)
  • immortaltenzhiimmortaltenzhi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Invoke twice. :) You'll be good to go. :D Or stream your gameplay online so we can see how you're doing it because we want to do the same.

If you're getting significant XP from Invoking and you're leveling too fast for your taste, stop Invoking. ;) I rarely get significant XP from Invoking - usually less than 1000 when I get any at all. And I don't do Daily Foundries (except when I'm forced to grind levels to continue the quest line) or anything that involves being forced to team with random people (such as Skirmishes... or Dungeons when I don't have my one or two friends playing with me). I send my Leadership mercs off to do stuff, but really a few hours for 150 XP or so is hardly a useful amount of XP.
    edited May 2013
    I concur. I loved City of Heroes system where they had a 'sidekick'/'mentor' system. CoV did something similar. I'd love to see that in other games: All the health of a higher level character but none of the skills. The problem was seeing higher level content/missions before you got there, and they're out of context. (Not that this was a big deal in CoV since much of it was a grindfest/redundant/procedural missions)

I'd rather drop my higher level character down to old missions to level up my friend to my level so we can play together. (Not that those ever wind up matching up)

That's how I remember it working. It downscaled the high player, not upscaling the low people. I guess it is possible that I am wrong. But that would be a concept to put in maybe. Veteran adventurers showing young bucks the ropes.