test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why doesn't anyone want anything other than CW or DC for dungeons?

zuksterrzuksterr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I was on my GWF today (10.3k GS) and was looking for a group for a T2 epic dungeon for 2 hours even through the WHOLE DD event, I finally just gave up. I noticed that 9 out of every 10 groups was only looking for CW's or DC's. Is this how it is on every server? I literally can't play the game other than PvP at this point which makes me sad.
Post edited by zuksterr on

Comments

• okarinokarin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cuz those 2 are the best and are needed in every group.

your best bet is to find a guild.
  • hyttehanshyttehans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    zuksterr wrote: »
    I was on my GWF today (10.3k GS) and was looking for a group for a T2 epic dungeon for 2 hours even through the WHOLE DD event, I finally just gave up. I noticed that 9 out of every 10 groups was only looking for CW's or DC's. Is this how it is on every server? I literally can't play the game other than PvP at this point which makes me sad.

What server are you on? i wouldent mind a GWF in our group sometimes, as long you know GWF also can be used to control mobs in some fights/situations.
  • nazzy52nazzy52 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    The groups are mainly looking for tank and CC. =)
  • tmak1313tmak1313 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm a GWF as well (9.4k gs). I feel somewhat fortunate that I have a friend who is a good CW who can make dungeons really easy for us. Without him, I never would have been able to clear any dungeons to get my gear. It's frustrating that without a cleric who always has a blue circle down everyone dies, without a good wizard, everyone gets swarmed by mobs, and without at least one rogue (preferably two) bosses take an eternity to die. Sometimes it's useful to have a GF to draw aggro, but I feel like the GWF class is fairly useless in dungeons. There's no need for a class that's half DPS and half tankiness because without fully going into both, there are other classes that do the functions better.
  • zuksterrzuksterr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hyttehans wrote: »
    What server are you on? i wouldent mind a GWF in our group sometimes, as long you know GWF also can be used to control mobs in some fights/situations.

Mindflayer - I haven't done many T2's because I can't get into them. I'm competent though and if you tell me something I will get it done.
  • bel1eveeebel1eveee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm a 10.5k DC.I instantly leave when I zonePUG and there is GWF/GF in the party.I have a few very good ones in my friend list , but 200 out of 201 GWF/GF's are a liablity to the group when you can get another CW or TR and I just rather not take the risk.
    I also rerolled from a GWF.
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This along with any other post stating there is no need for this or that you all can not be the one not needed just saw a post about the priest not being needed. Its a matter of how you play and the way you chose your abilities, class abilities, feats, and set up your gear. I myself have a gwf, tr, and a cw. I can solo all 3 of them with ease or group if needed it is all in how you set them up over specialized groups are what's the problem people focusing too much on one thing. My GWF can tank just like a GF when using my class ability I can not be knocked down, and with crowds he is great. CW is more as the names says for controlling but can also if done right put out damage but does take longer on single foes sometimes just like all of the classes but TR who is great at the single target. Have not played a priest but his spells are for more than just spamming heal and if thats all you're doing then your not playing the class right, and in a group he helps by healing and filling in any gaps as needed much like every class can.
  • neverasherneverasher Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    having a gwf(or multiple) with the right spec will make everyone in the group do way more damage atm but everyone is too in awe with getting mobs pushed off ledges or stuck on terrain to notice.
    2uhmn1l.jpg
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Providing extra damage for the group while doing less damage is sort of a zero sum.
  • thesoupdragonthesoupdragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    bel1eveee wrote: »
    I'm a 10.5k DC.I instantly leave when I zonePUG and there is GWF/GF in the party.I have a few very good ones in my friend list , but 200 out of 201 GWF/GF's are a liablity to the group when you can get another CW or TR and I just rather not take the risk.

I play a GF and it's really frustrating to be kicked/have people instantly leave the group because they think its impossible to complete dungeons with certain classes in the group. I've played alongside every class and found that there are good/bad players of each and every one of them.

Give folks a chance to prove their capabilities before instantly exiting, you might be pleasantly surprised. Even if it doesn't go well, so what. You'll have lost a bit of time but you may have developed your skills further by having to work a bit harder or you may have helped other players develop theirs. The best PUG I ever played in didn't have a DC in it and we still completed the dungeon because we worked well as a team.
  • pinacoladas22pinacoladas22 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    2 things

bad gwf using flourish and other single target spells

and more importantly badly designed dungeons. too much **** can be thrown off. cw make the run a billion times faster
  • dancingchimpdancingchimp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Noone thinks its impossible, its just harder. In a pug people wants to optimize the group. Nothing wrong with that. Dont blame the people doing the group, blame cryptic for shafting GF/GWF from a proper spot.

Myself usualy have a GWF or GF with, but thats ONLY because they are in guild. I would replace them with a wizard of a rouge anytime. I solo cleric mostly, no need for a tank. Sorry. They cant hold aggro.
  • jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Because players can be morons. I hate running my group without my main gwf guildy present. Either two gwf, gf, my cleric and a wizard friend or one of the gwf isn't there and we bring a rogue. If another cleric friend is on, I might run my rogue. But, running without a gwf is just goofy imo.

All the talk about how bad great weapon fighters are is mostly just people jumping on the gwf hate bandwagon. If they actually ran with someone that knew what they were doing, they would see that that class rocks.

Dancingchimp, you must run with bad gwf and gf's. My group's gf holds aggro easily. Sure, I get hit a little, but the gwf is there to destroy the adds.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    I'm a DC, but I chose having a GWF and GF in the team, cause atleast threat level can be shared, also I feel running dungeons and skirmishes more faster then without them around, based on my own experience last time I do Garrindar skirmish
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Actually, people that think GWF is good are people being fooled by false damage.

A good CW can manage any number of adds in the game provided they are able to be CC'd. Any time you see a GWF fighting adds during a boss fight they are padding their DPS, not being useful or providing any benefit to the group. The fight would go faster if another CW was present or if the GWF attacked the boss instead (which would result in a much, much lower total damage throughout the dungeon). This is false damage and it's why bads think GWF is good.

If you want to fight Karrundax for 18m and kill all the adds, great. That doesn't make GWF good nor does it make 18m < 8m
    edited May 2013
    Why destroy adds when you can
    a)tank them
    b) knockback
    c) crowd control them
    Why talk about aggro at all?
    In T2 there is either KITE or Godmode in 2 astral shields +hallowed ground.And smoke bomb!
    OOH gwf brings -15% armor.Guess what a cleric does this too with a ranged aoe on 8 seconds cooldown .

So boss fight.Who deals with adds better?a CW or a GWF?
    Lets talk single target damage.a TR/CW or a GWF?

My main was a GWF and I've played through all T2 instances.Then I rerolled a DC.The class simply needs a buff to be competitive with all the crowd control ,buffs, single target damage and knockbacks a TR/CW bring.
    AOE dps is irrelevant as it is not THAT high above a CW or competent cleric with divine glow / daunting light.
    Survivability is irrelevant aswell due to astral shield stacking.

I hope to play my gwf outside of PVP someday.
  • coggagecoggage Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Broadly speaking, two Wizards and two Clerics in a group will crush anything.
  • hyttehanshyttehans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    Mindflayer - I haven't done many T2's because I can't get into them. I'm competent though and if you tell me something I will get it done.

ah ****, im on dragon - could have been fun grouping with you.
  • mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Simple. People only care about blazing through a dungeon to get the shiny box at the end. No one cares about other people or how it effects their gaming experience when they boot you simply because you chose GWF. Anonymity breeds A-holes.
  • aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I'm calling BS, particularly for GF. Generally in MMOs, the higher DPS and the more hardcore/cool people perceive a class to be, the more utterly terrible players roll them. Rogues have been a long term notoriously bad one for this across multiple games because people just *love* topping the DPS meter and when they get a dungeon they tend to forget their job and just doggedly gun after whatever targets will get them highest on said meter, completely forgetting any group oriented tasks they could be performing (IE - stunlocking enemy healer or wizard, quick killing mob on your cleric, etc).

Conversely, you take a class which either has a group oriented role (healer/tank), doesn't top DPS charts, and has a bad reputation, and the spastic DPS group-wiping players will tend to steer clear. Less popular, harder, less sensational classes almost always have a higher grade - or at least more willing to focus - player playing them, be it enchanters in EQ to defense specced warriors in WoW. Those guys know how to make things happen well in a group because it's literally what they signed up for.

In this game my experience is that I get five bad rogues for every bad GF I play with. I, as a DC, also have had more GWFs come to pull mobs off me than CWs or TRs. The flashy classes likely to top DPS meters attract the garbage players and those classes are not GF and GWF.

So yeah, I don't buy what you're saying for a second perhaps you had some horrible luck a ways back and now you are leaving groups with many perfectly good GFs and GWFs without giving them a chance.
    edited May 2013
    I'm calling BS, particularly for GF. Generally in MMOs, the higher DPS and the more hardcore/cool people perceive a class to be, the more utterly terrible players roll them. Rogues have been a long term notoriously bad one for this across multiple games because people just *love* topping the DPS meter and when they get a dungeon they tend to forget their job and just doggedly gun after whatever targets will get them highest on said meter, completely forgetting any group oriented tasks they could be performing (IE - stunlocking enemy healer or wizard, quick killing mob on your cleric, etc).

Conversely, you take a class which either has a group oriented role (healer/tank), doesn't top DPS charts, and has a bad reputation, and the spastic DPS group-wiping players will tend to steer clear. Less popular, harder, less sensational classes almost always have a higher grade - or at least more willing to focus - player playing them, be it enchanters in EQ to defense specced warriors in WoW. Those guys know how to make things happen well in a group because it's literally what they signed up for.

In this game my experience is that I get five bad rogues for every bad GF I play with. I, as a DC, also have had more GWFs come to pull mobs off me than CWs or TRs.

So yeah, I don't buy what you're saying for a second perhaps you had some horrible luck a ways back and now you are leaving groups with many perfectly good GFs and GWFs without giving them a chance.

Have you been into a Tier 2 Dungeon?Are you even 60?How can you say a GWF/GF takes mobs off you better than a CW?
    As explained above, when GWF tries to take mobs off you you are loosing DPS on the boss.If the GWF doesn't try to take adds from you because you have a CW or you can simply face-tank 20-30 mobs in astralshieldx2 then he DPS's the boss and does 1/3th a rogue's damage.
    A CW can take mobs off you WHILE dpsing the boss.
    A GWF/GF Simply don't bring anything to Tier2 in terms of dps/charts/utility/stunlocking/tanking/whatever.
  • corleone33corleone33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's another reason that hasn't been brought up:

Shield specced CW's (the ones who give you that delicious singularity almost constantly) severely gimp GF and GWF DPS and aggro because of the almost constant knockbacks from shield after Singularity. We do the shield knockback right there because it almost immediately generates half the action points necessary for our next singularity (depending on mob density) and if the shield blast is preceded by a Chill Strike in the mastery slot, we can almost chain singularities at will.

Basically, the classes don't play well together. In a group with two CW's, a GWF will spend most of the time chasing mobs around the map, so why bring one?
  • aftershafteraftershafter Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have you been into a Tier 2 Dungeon?Are you even 60?How can you say a GWF/GF takes mobs off you better than a CW?
    As explained above, when GWF tries to take mobs off you you are loosing DPS on the boss.If the GWF doesn't try to take adds from you because you have a CW or you can simply face-tank 20-30 mobs in astralshieldx2 then he DPS's the boss and does 1/3th a rogue's damage.
    A CW can take mobs off you WHILE dpsing the boss.
    A GWF/GF Simply don't bring anything to Tier2 in terms of dps/charts/utility/stunlocking/tanking/whatever.

First off, yes, my cleric just broke 10k GS.

Second, I *perfectly* understand the mechanics of what you said, but you seem to be forgetting something you said...

"I instantly leave when I zonePUG..."

I wouldn't even think of arguing about the respective quality of the classes, which is what you seem to be focusing on. Thing is, pugs VS organized groups from guilds or generally knowledgeable players are two totally different beasts. GWFs and GFs in pugs tend to be better than TRs and CWs in pugs because you are *FAR* more likely to get an utterly idiotic player playing the latter two classes than getting one who doesn't understand and work at his role in the former two classes. No one rolls a GF to top DPS charts, while *plenty* of control wizards focus on that and nothing else.

I don't really care if the TR has a class inherent advantage over the GWF who are both calling out to join my zone PUG - even at the T2 level , most TRs who are pugging are bloody <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I will usually favour the GF/GWF just because they'll actually try and help the team rather than just top charts.

Don`t forget, T2 in this game is child`s play compared to a lot of MMO`s out there. The bar for entry to the supposedly super hard end game content just ain`t that high. The gene pool is still harboring its slack jawed mouth breathers in hordes even at the top of this game and, sorry to say, most of them are playing TRs and a good portion are playing CWs. They will join your pug, NOT do their jobs, and yes, it`s usually the GWF who is actually willing to take the time to try and pull mobs off me who will save my *** ahead of the CW who could do it easier but is busy trying to top DPS meters to bother.

On the one hand, you talk about when you`re trying to set up a pug. On the other hand, you talk about ideal party activity, making the asinine assumption that you`re going to have everyone doing what they`re supposed to be doing in a pug. Get your story straight before you go accusing anyone of not knowing what they`re talking about, and *do not even pretend* that you`re getting top quality players when zone pugging.
  • cronusmaxumcronusmaxum Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok for ONE I have a Thief and he's awesome lol and TWO (I hope I can post this here) Why isn't the the Alignment system in this game? I mean when I played TT D&D back in the day we all had an alignment. Hopefully they will integrate it later on. Maybe if someone were to do things contrary to their alignment they might lose aid form their deity or have less aid. Staying true to their alignment would have maybe have the opposite effect. Heck I don't know just sayen.
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Because GWFs like you ARE the group starters and are looking for CWs and DCs.
  • chewy067chewy067 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    okarin wrote: »
    cuz those 2 are the best and are needed in every group.

your best bet is to find a guild.

Your already wrong they are not "best" but yeh guild works or start looking for DD group an hour ahead. However, the main reason why CW's are so heavily needed is their ability to push things off maps and the huge amount of CC they provide. DC's are super short in supply, it would be interesting to see a break out of character classes currently in game. The last reason your having a heard time is from what I have seen GWF's dont really offer to much in team comps as of now. I recommend just starting a new DC and running through the quests it should only take 4 days then you wont have this problem. Good luck see you in game.
  • jorril2396jorril2396 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Second, I *perfectly* understand the mechanics of what you said, but you seem to be forgetting something you said...

I wouldn't even think of arguing about the respective quality of the classes, which is what you seem to be focusing on. Thing is, pugs VS organized groups from guilds or generally knowledgeable players are two totally different beasts. GWFs and GFs in pugs tend to be better than TRs and CWs in pugs because you are *FAR* more likely to get an utterly idiotic player playing the latter two classes than getting one who doesn't understand and work at his role in the former two classes. No one rolls a GF to top DPS charts, while *plenty* of control wizards focus on that and nothing else.

I don't really care if the TR has a class inherent advantage over the GWF who are both calling out to join my zone PUG - even at the T2 level , most TRs who are pugging are bloody <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I will usually favour the GF/GWF just because they'll actually try and help the team rather than just top charts.

Don`t forget, T2 in this game is child`s play compared to a lot of MMO`s out there. The bar for entry to the supposedly super hard end game content just ain`t that high. The gene pool is still harboring its slack jawed mouth breathers in hordes even at the top of this game and, sorry to say, most of them are playing TRs and a good portion are playing CWs. They will join your pug, NOT do their jobs, and yes, it`s usually the GWF who is actually willing to take the time to try and pull mobs off me who will save my *** ahead of the CW who could do it easier but is busy trying to top DPS meters to bother.

On the one hand, you talk about when you`re trying to set up a pug. On the other hand, you talk about ideal party activity, making the asinine assumption that you`re going to have everyone doing what they`re supposed to be doing in a pug. Get your story straight before you go accusing anyone of not knowing what they`re talking about, and *do not even pretend* that you`re getting top quality players when zone pugging.

the way the dungeons are set up its really is no surprise. Even mid-level stuff i was using my gwf and had to protect the healer because the cw and thief couldnt be bothered. I do agree though that the better the class is the more bad players you having playing them. The gwf needs to bring something new to the table than it does already because if you have good thiefs and wizards than gwf can look inadequate
    edited May 2013

So your argument is that pug-Control Wizards are mages from wow that want to top the DPS instead of focusing on CC and Guardians are tanks and understand their role so I should get a Guardian.

Your argument is that GWF/GF's tend to be less <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> than CW and TR's in zonechat.I have to disagree here from my experience.

There is a point where the gap between game mechanics and player skill is so wide that player skill simply cant cut.

Please tell me how can a Guardian/GWF help your party more in tier2 than a '<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that is topping the charts' or a cleric?

Sure you can bring a GF or a GWF in T2 and finish the dunguon IF the rest of the party is competent enough to carry.In any case It would simply be better to get a CW or a TR [even 30% less skilled] than the GWF/GF you are bringing.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well...correcting the 2x astral shield, making it impossible to throw mobs off from anything and things could become a bit more balanced...as is, i can only recommend people to start either a cw or a dc...
  • lieolieo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    What an Idiotic discussion. Who cares if your 10 thousand whatever better gear than some other real life person. And if other people are unwanted because of game mechanics, the game is broke, its that easy