test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Solo PvE should be cut from the game and here is why. . .

timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Its Dungeons and Dragons not SWTOR, its all about adventuring as a team with other people, not a crappy A.I. Bot. I don't even understand why Solo PvE is in this game in the first place >.> The dev time used on Solo PvE could be used to fix stuff like the Group finder and PvP.

Don't get me wrong I play things like Final Fantasy and Mass Effect I like a good Single player experiance now and then but I think its just wasted time here.

Of course this is just my opinion.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• snorgelhopsnorgelhop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sort of.

If you don't have a lot of friends playing or a long standing guild it can be pretty sketchy finding quality people to group with. Rather than spend my time looking for groups to kill with I'd rather be out there simply doing it.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Of possible interest.... ;)

9985e37e647ea13978798859a5fc795b.jpg?itok=Nn5a8nIp

From this article

(I actually had both of those, if I remember correctly. Alongside a number of other modules.)
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited May 2013
    hank41 wrote: »
    Do you know why DDO changed from groups only dungeons when they started in 2006? Cause there are more players that would rather SOLO than to have to listen to the "younger players" cry all the time while grouped with them.

You play the way you want to and I will play the way I want to DDO made that change because if they didnt the game would have failed!

Learn the history of MMO'S before your cry about the SOLO players.

A valid point. BUT being a long term D&D player I think in my opinion that Solo PVE has no place here. Remember Solo PvE won't be cut this is all theoretical it just seems to me this game should be the last place for Solo PvE.

Of course many others will think differently.
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »

Pic snipped*

this article[/URL]

(I actually had both of those, if I remember correctly. Alongside a number of other modules.)

2 whole solo modules produced. . .Out of hundreds of multiplayer ones. . .
  • flamexsoldierflamexsoldier Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    Can't tell if serious or making fun of the PvP thread...
  • mightyqu1nnmightyqu1nn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    This game is D&D in name only, while some of the basic character development may be similar to 4th ed. it is not in any way shape or form a D&D game. The IP is D&D but not much else. Your idea would kill this game faster than some of the exploits have already. I think I would prefer stabbing myself in the eye with a pencil the have to rely on PUG's.
    Do not interfere in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup...
  • bogleparsonsbogleparsons Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013

aw, come on now I saw the sarcasm / relation to that PvP quest right away haha
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I dont know, seems pretty obvious to me. Points for creativity, but still equals troll fail.
  • mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

That was my first thought. Mostly the same title and same context.
  • coggagecoggage Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    timm4444 wrote: »
    Of course this is just my opinion.
    Well, your post failed on the sarcasm, irony and humour front, so I'll take your post at face value. I'm not you. I'll play the way I want to, thanks very much.
    edited May 2013
    aw, come on now I saw the sarcasm / relation to that PvP quest right away haha

About 50% of the replies here didn't. . .

And of course its Sarcasm

But used in a way to poke fun at the people who argue "If the PnP D&D didn't have it, its should not be here". . .
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »

9985e37e647ea13978798859a5fc795b.jpg?itok=Nn5a8nIp

From this article

OMG I loved that module...great way to waste a rainy afternoon. :)

You play the way you want to and I will play the way I want to DDO made that change because if they didnt the game would have failed!

Learn the history of MMO'S before your cry about the SOLO players.

THIS^^^ And Turbine was adamant doing the whole friends don't let friends play solo campaign...it failed miserably, now it's a group optional game just like every other MMO.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • mic281mic281 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    About 50% of the replies here didn't. . .

And of course its Sarcasm

But used in a way to poke fun at the people who argue "If the PnP D&D didn't have it, its should not be here". . .

In PnP I didn't have a computer screen that brought my adventure to life visually. Can we take that away? So bothersome to see all these character models and animations.
    edited May 2013
    mic281 wrote: »
    In PnP I didn't have a computer screen that brought my adventure to life visually. Can we take that away? So bothersome to see all these character models and animations.

Sure. . .

If thats what you want just play with a blindfold. . . .
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I dont know, seems pretty obvious to me. Points for creativity, but still equals troll fail.

Making a joke is trolling now???

lighten-up-francis-o.gif
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Solo PvE has no place in ANY MMO... Solo PvE should be only until level 10, and then once you hit 10, grouping shoudl be necessary. That's what I look for in MMOs, sadly none have done it since FFXI.......

Every game just pales in comparison.
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Making a joke is trolling now???

lighten-up-francis-o.gif

Apparently on the internet, having a sense of humor makes you a troll.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
    edited May 2013
    Solo PvE has no place in ANY MMO... Solo PvE should be only until level 10, and then once you hit 10, grouping shoudl be necessary. That's what I look for in MMOs, sadly none have done it since FFXI.......

Which is your opinion and perfectly acceptable. I look for the opposite in an MMO. I look for the ability to play solo or with one other person. I do not like being forced to group in order to progress. That is why I thought FFXI was not much fun. I am looking forward to Ff:RR however.

People that pay for a game should not be forced to play any certain way.
  • charezoncharezon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I prefer to solo, thanks. My time online is limited (family, work, etc.) and getting into groups take time. I can play for 10mins and get called away - no need to "explain" to the group why I'm leaving them hanging.
    Wizard.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Which is your opinion and perfectly acceptable. I look for the opposite in an MMO. I look for the ability to play solo or with one other person. I do not like being forced to group in order to progress. That is why I thought FFXI was not much fun. I am looking forward to Ff:RR however.

Which makes my post about taking out Solo PvE totally valid. . .Because you don't have to pay in neverwinter. . . . . .So Cryptic is free to force you. . .
    edited May 2013
    Which makes my post about taking out Solo PvE totally valid. . .Because you don't have to pay in neverwinter. . . . . .So Cryptic is free to force you. . .

Your logic is infallible.
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

that's why opinions are like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

I don't understand why people play MMOs to play solo, go pick up Mass Effect or something similar. Just rename the genre, because this isn't multiplayer at all... I adored FFXI and having to be nice to people. Reputation meant something, it wasn't just a bunch of running around aimlessly and getting to cap in 30 hours...

But yeah, games are catered for people who don't want to put the time and effort in, I get that. WoW ruined the genre, for me, at least.
  • druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    A valid point. BUT being a long term D&D player I think in my opinion that Solo PVE has no place here. Remember Solo PvE won't be cut this is all theoretical it just seems to me this game should be the last place for Solo PvE.

Was D&D ever massively multi-player? Haven't played for ages, but last I remember, it was small party campaigns. Not with 100's, 1000's of other players. Raiding is coming to NW, too.

NW is an MMO. There have been MMO's previously that had forced grouping to level, but they aren't as flexible, or have the wide spread appeal of MMO's that let you solo level. You can still group, but providing solo PvE content appeals to more players and is more flexible, which translates into a more popular and successful MMO.

I myself would never play an MMO with forced grouping.
    edited May 2013
    charezon wrote: »
    I prefer to solo, thanks. My time online is limited (family, work, etc.) and getting into groups take time. I can play for 10mins and get called away - no need to "explain" to the group why I'm leaving them hanging.

Which is why I love/hate this mega-server instanced <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Sure, sometimes it works for me. I queue up for a dungeon, realize 15 minutes in that I'm playing with 4 slightly rtard shortbussers, so I 'leave party' like I'm avoiding the plague. Why wouldn't I? I'm never going to see those idiots again, there's no penalty whatsoever in leaving them down a man.

I had a blacklist a mile long in FFXI, and people like you were the first ones on it. Reputation doesn't mean jack-squat anymore, and that sucks for communities. It also hurts your playing experience, whether you realize it or not.
  • druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

I played FFXI. I quit when I wasn't able to level for a week and sat around city spamming chat for a group, just to level.

The reason why no MMO's have done it since, is because it's a dead system. Inflexible and niche appeal. It's like subscription MMO's, they're dead, too. The genre is constantly changing, forced grouping and subscriptions are gone.
    edited May 2013
    that's why opinions are like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

I don't understand why people play MMOs to play solo, go pick up Mass Effect or something similar. Just rename the genre, because this isn't multiplayer at all... I adored FFXI and having to be nice to people. Reputation meant something, it wasn't just a bunch of running around aimlessly and getting to cap in 30 hours...

But yeah, games are catered for people who don't want to put the time and effort in, I get that. WoW ruined the genre, for me, at least.

I play MMOs for the vast amounts of things to do, The open world, the mass amounts of various types of gear, the frequent updates, the classes and races, to play with my buddies that are currently in different parts of the world, and the list could go on.

I do not play to fulfill any need for social interaction, to feel like I lead anyone to accomplishment, or to flaunt any virtual goods.

The other games you mentioned are too linear. I have played Mass Effect and games like it. But in the end it does not have the sense of open world freedom you get in an MMO. I had to be Commander Shepard. I had to be a human. I had to fight with guns and tech power. I had to follow the set story. I played them through and now they have been traded in. But MMO's go on and continue to grow.
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013

That's cool, just don't be calling for nerfs for PvP, because even if we extrapolate PvP in a PnP setting, the DM didn't sit down and say "Well, this class doesn't do enough damage to be viable in a 1vs1 fight, so I'd better nerf everyone else so they don't cry when they lose".
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    DDO tried that and tanked because not enough people liked grouping. They had to work hard to make the game solo friendly to attract back a lot of lost players.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    druga1757 wrote: »
    I played FFXI. I quit when I wasn't able to level for a week and sat around city spamming chat for a group, just to level.

The reason why no MMO's have done it since, is because it's a dead system. Inflexible and niche appeal. It's like subscription MMO's, they're dead, too. The genre is constantly changing, forced grouping and subscriptions are gone.

But if you had a static, or if you were nice to Asians, or if you were generally a good person, and remembered to keep a good reputation, you wouldn't have to wait a week. 30-1hr max, and I'm talking in FFXI Vanilla days. Having to find a replacement 30 minutes before you needed to go, and waiting around your camp until your replacement showed up, things like that, just speak volumes of how organized the community was. That game took something no other game will ever require: Class.

I realize there will never be another game like it, and it kills the gaming part of me. I'll most likely never find another MMO I like. (Abyssea killed ffxi for me)

EDIT: sorry for jacking your thread and going on a FFXI reminiscing spree. at least you got bumps :P