test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry for Daily?

skuldarnskuldarn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Now that they stupidly nerfed Hidden Blade out of the eligibility for Daily Foundry, what would be the best replacement for solo running for AD? That Foundry was about 10-15 minutes and gave a third of what a 45 minute dungeon gives in AD, so I don't understand why they felt is was inappropriate.
Post edited by skuldarn on

Comments

• labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like saving the elf . It has drow in it . Its two parts and they both count . So you can do one today and one tomorrow . Or both if your higher level . Its something about a missing nobel .
  • krakenaznwkrakenaznw Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not even sure what qualifies as eligible, or how to identify it. Does one of the icons you see when looking at the Foundry list indicate eligibility? Maybe I'm slow on the uptake, but they don't explain it well to new players. I've gotten lucky so far and just randomly picked ones that counted.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When you read the description of foundry quests, it should say "This quest is also eligible for the "Daily Foundry" quest rewards" or something like that in green text.
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If i am not mistaken a foundry quest is eligeble for daily quest when it had 35 plays and is a minimum of 15 minutes long.
    Otherwise it wont make the cut for the daily quest.
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    itheryel wrote: »
    If i am not mistaken a foundry quest is eligeble for daily quest when it had 35 plays and is a minimum of 15 minutes long.
    Otherwise it wont make the cut for the daily quest.

Correct or at lease close enough.

If the hidden blade isn't elligible it is because too many players, like yourself skuldarn, rushed through it as fast as possible thus bringing the average play time beneath 15 minutes.

Once that happens the quest will no longer be eligible for foundry rewards.

Powering through the quests as fast as possible is causing the problem, not Cryptic. ;)
  • svearixsvearix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Correct or at lease close enough.

If the hidden blade isn't elligible it is because too many players, like yourself skuldarn, rushed through it as fast as possible thus bringing the average play time beneath 15 minutes.

Once that happens the quest will no longer be eligible for foundry rewards.

Powering through the quests as fast as possible is causing the problem, not Cryptic. ;)

Seriously! Yea doin it 4 times to recive the AD, made us rush it! So the foult is Cryptict!!

You dont wanna spend hours to do 4 foundry quest at L60 to recive 4k AD...One is enough or 2 at most...In pvp its 4 times too, but if you win 2 times in a row that enough so you got a carrot to win here!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    That's a completely different issue. Feedback is appreciated but that best belongs in a different thread. ;)

My comment is the fact that foundry missions are purposely designed to require 15 minutes of gameplay to be eligible for rewards. If players consistently do not meet 15 minutes playtime the average play time of the quest will drop and thus bring it below the required play-time to reward you.

That's not Cryptic's doing. They didn't decide to "nerf" any specific quest.
    Players rushing through them caused that.
  • skuldarnskuldarn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    So some players trying to be efficient (and in no way exploiting or cheating) causes a detriment/punishment for everyone? That is a horrible policy. Our time is valuable to us, so if we rush through something to get a reward, that is our business and should not be cause for any change.

And support is horrible too. I paid for a Guardian Pack (a purchase I am now deeply regretting) but never received anything for my money (no character slot, no in-game items, no AD) and yet my ticket is not being answered or resolved after many days.

More in the essence of the subject, is there a way to search in the Foundry list to only show those that are eligible for Dailies? Or is such a time-savings abhorrent to Cryptic?
  • xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    its so hard to find good playable foundry quests that doesnt take 40min+..

im at the point that i wont do anymore foundry dailys, i just do the pvp daily and thats it.
  • rsheartsrshearts Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    xanos900 wrote: »
    its so hard to find good playable foundry quests that doesnt take 40min+..

im at the point that i wont do anymore foundry dailys, i just do the pvp daily and thats it.

Or worse.

In my case, I've run into several Foundries that took 40+ minutes, seemed about on par with my skill/level, and then got completely one-sidedly-crushed at the end. 2-3 retries of the final fight to no effect.

So now 45-60 minutes wasted (except for whatever xp I gained).
  • mopop27mopop27 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You could always try doing my foundry :) Author @mopop27. It's not eligible for daily yet but its so close.
  • cakeyeahcakeyeah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been doing a Planescape campaign I found on the Foundry for my daily. 4 quests, pretty fun, not hugely time consuming after you've memorised the steps.
  • alexandrebuenoalexandrebueno Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Foundry quests for daily:

- Bill's Tavern
    - The 27th Level

Both quests take no more than 15~20 minutes to finish (each) and are elegible (atm). Enjoy.
  • garblebeastgarblebeast Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, Bills tavern is not bad. I don't mind the 15 minute requirement, but I think they should break up the dailies to 2 and 2 so you don't have to run all 4 in one day.
    AKA Nikobug :D
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People are rushing through them since the "daily" requires multiple foundry quests. Also a group runs through the same missions a lot faster because there's no scaling.
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    skuldarn, to be quite honest with you, I didn't make my quests so that you could rush through them. If you're frustrated that A Hidden Blade doesn't give you a daily reward, then don't play it. It's YOUR fault that this happened, and everyone else who's speedrunning it. A Hidden Blade was designed so that players would spend time participating in dialogue and enjoying the story, not so that they could farm it multiple times a day for their precious AD.

In short, I don't want you to play my quests. Please stop. You're ruining it for those who play it the way it was intended. The less people like you play my quest, the happier I am. I made A Hidden Blade to be a niche quest for a niche audience. The sudden and surprising success of the quest took me unawares, and it has become apparent that it has a dark backside.

If people keep this up, I might get tempted to follow the ill advice of a fellow author and introduce a timed gate that stops people from rushing through but won't affect those who play it normally. The less fun my map is for farmers, the better.
  • jdrivejdrive Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    After reading this thread all I can say is this;

My god, have any of you people ever even picked up a d20? Why would you even WANT to run the same scenario over and over and over, no matter how efficient? D&D is about the story. Why would you play a D&D based game and the complain about having too much content (longer missions)?

Even if your goal is to rush as fast as possible you should realize that if you run that 40 minute mission two or three times you're going to get more efficient at it, and probably end up doing it faster the next time around. 15 minutes is NOT an unreasonable limit for daily quest time.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    skuldarn, to be quite honest with you, I didn't make my quests so that you could rush through them. If you're frustrated that A Hidden Blade doesn't give you a daily reward, then don't play it. It's YOUR fault that this happened, and everyone else who's speedrunning it. A Hidden Blade was designed so that players would spend time participating in dialogue and enjoying the story, not so that they could farm it multiple times a day for their precious AD.

In short, I don't want you to play my quests. Please stop. You're ruining it for those who play it the way it was intended. The less people like you play my quest, the happier I am. I made A Hidden Blade to be a niche quest for a niche audience. The sudden and surprising success of the quest took me unawares, and it has become apparent that it has a dark backside.

If people keep this up, I might get tempted to follow the ill advice of a fellow author and introduce a timed gate that stops people from rushing through but won't affect those who play it normally. The less fun my map is for farmers, the better.

Good for you! I am going to take my new CW alt through your stuff tonight; fun on a GWF, we'll see how a CW handles it.
  • dzogendzogen Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Greetings, I wrote Bill's Tavern & 27th Level. Both are light, hopefully fun adventures specifically designed to be enjoyed with a beer while qualifying for dailies at 16 & 15 minutes respectively.

15 minutes by the way is the minimum average time a quest can be to be eligible for daily.

27th Level had the same time issue as with Tilt's quest. It briefly dipped under 15 minutes so I had to add a few more mobs at the end to compensate so the average time went back up.

I also have another one coming out in next day or two, should be about the same length.

have a lovely day
    Dzogen, Moonstar Agent
    Bill's Tavern | The 27th Level | Secret Agent 34
  • nevfenevfe Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are many good Foundry quests stuck in 'for review' hell because of the completely borked Foundry quest selection UI.

Sadly none of these quests will be eligible for the daily until they get 15 plays and they won't get plays until they get out of review, and they won't get out of review until they get plays... see the problem???
  • ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem with the whole system is that people design some missions around solo play, they qualify for reward as a solo mission, and then people start grinding them in groups, and the timer drops quickly. A full group of level 60s will breeze through a quest designed around a solo player.

The mechanic is at fault, its unfortunate, but there's not a lot that can be done about it I'm afraid.. at least not by us..
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A Hidden Blade was designed so that players would spend time participating in dialogue and enjoying the story, not so that they could farm it multiple times a day for their precious AD.

Speaking as someone who bothered to subscribe to your creations, please don't quit. I really enjoyed it, and you're one of a very few authors I've actively subscribed to. Please keep up the great work. It *is* appreciated (though you'll rarely hear about it on the forums, I imagine...)
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It does seem that the issue is simply the difficulty NOT scaling with group size. Perhaps a easy fix would be some negative XP scaling for each additional member of a group to compensate for the faster completions?
    edited May 2013
    cdnbison wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who bothered to subscribe to your creations, please don't quit. I really enjoyed it, and you're one of a very few authors I've actively subscribed to. Please keep up the great work. It *is* appreciated (though you'll rarely hear about it on the forums, I imagine...)

Oh don't worry. I didn't intend to make my previous post sound like I was threatening to quit. That's not my intention at all. You're more likely to see my future quests be longer rather than shorter due to the farmer abuse, as this seems to keep them at least somewhat away.

I want the farmers to quit though. Specifically, I want them to quit playing my quests. They are like leeches on the work I put in to make these quests, and like leeches they aren't welcome.
  • edgenwedgenw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I agree with this. A Hidden Blade is a good adventure. The last thing I want to see are authors (who are in it to make a good adventure) make constant changes to their adventures for the sole purpose of creating time sinks to appease the Daily requirements.

Hidden Blade, for example, is part 1 of a 7 part series. People who run the same mission repeatedly to farm AD are not likely to play the other missions in the series (part 2 is currently available, but takes much longer to complete). The audience that is likely to play the other missions in the series are those who thoroughly enjoyed the first mission. Don't sabotage that by changing it to appeal to the Daily AD crowd.

In reality it is Cryptic that needs to come up with a better system. I believe all Foundry missions should reward AD up to a capped amount (2k), but scaled back based on time spent in the adventure. The faster you go through them, the less AD you earn for time spent. Sure, that likely means many players will just AFK at the last door until they've earned the max allowable AD, but who cares? If they're wasting time doing that they're not earning AD in a PvP daily match, a skirmish, a dungeon daily, etc. Besides, Foundry missions already shortchange players in terms of XP earned, end-chest rewards, and the absence of profession nodes. The AD rewards should make up for that.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the issue is that initial play with great story takes time, but when you just want to "fight fight fight" and be done with it, it is hard to "scale" to 15 minutes.

I'll probably extend the gauntlet to be a bit longer to design for mostly fighting (right now, it is avg 5 minutes with 5 fights so I can extend the gauntlet and add more fights)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • edgenwedgenw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Maybe Cryptic needs to make it so the NPC dialogue in these Foundry missions prints out letter-by-letter, at a set speed, with the response prompts not becoming usable until the dialogue has been written in full. Something reasonable, slightly faster than the average reading speed, but slow enough that people can't just blow through a page of text every half-second because they're only focusing on clicking whatever response will get them through the dialogue.

A change like that would allow NPC dialogue to start playing its much needed part in these timers. I hate it when combat encounters are piled on as a way of padding the dungeon length. Foundry dungeons that amount to a string of combat encounters from end to end are the type of Foundry missions I try to avoid.
  • faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Oh don't worry. I didn't intend to make my previous post sound like I was threatening to quit. That's not my intention at all. You're more likely to see my future quests be longer rather than shorter due to the farmer abuse, as this seems to keep them at least somewhat away.

I want the farmers to quit though. Specifically, I want them to quit playing my quests. They are like leeches on the work I put in to make these quests, and like leeches they aren't welcome.

I just want you to hurry up with more sequel!!
    edited May 2013
    edgenw wrote: »
    Maybe Cryptic needs to make it so the NPC dialogue in these Foundry missions prints out letter-by-letter, at a set speed, with the response prompts not becoming usable until the dialogue has been written in full. Something reasonable, slightly faster than the average reading speed, but slow enough that people can't just blow through a page of text every half-second because they're only focusing on clicking whatever response will get them through the dialogue.

A change like that would allow NPC dialogue to start playing its much needed part in these timers. I hate it when combat encounters are piled on as a way of padding the dungeon length. Foundry dungeons that amount to a string of combat encounters from end to end are the type of Foundry missions I try to avoid.

You know, that's not a half bad idea. It would completely aggravate some players, but it would make the Foundry more fair to authors of different types of quests.