test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rokuthy's Hybrid Tanking Build (GF) for End Game PvE (and PvP) content.

Comments

• rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    i have been getting a few blue items when i come top in pvp. haven't got the right ones yet but i do get one everytime i'm top. if your having trouble getting top try to concentrate on capping points, 300 points compared to 50 for a kill you will most likely be top for a lot of games, and if your following this build then you will easily be getting kills on top of the capping points :D then all it takes is praying for the right ones or find it once the AH is back up.

You either gotta grab them from PvP or snipe one from the AH. They're usually pretty cheap because people don't even realize they're good. I'm sure that'll change. I bought 7 of my 8 blue belts for less than 20k AD (one I grabbed or 200k).
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • brantsonbrantson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have a few questions about GF. I've tried looking through the forums but can't seem to find the answers. Even an educational guess is fine since this is the early stages of the game.

1. I've notice in your picture you tried 5 points in "Battle Trample" When Trample The Fallen would cause you to deal more damage, you also gain 5/10/15/20/25% of your weapon damage in Threat and deal 5/10/15/20/25% of your weapon damage as Physical Damage. I understand the 25% more threat part, but what does it mean to change weapon damage as physical damage?

2. Into the Fray and Iron warrior both give temporary hit points which conjunctions well with Wrathful Warrior for 15% more damage. Do you know which give more temp hit points and about how much %?

3. In your guide you recommend 1500 - 2000 armor penetration. Is there an equivalent equation for each 1% "resistance ignored" gain by DEX point? For example maybe 100 armor pen = 1%.
  • rokuthyrokuthy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 179 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    brantson wrote: »
    I have a few questions about GF. I've tried looking through the forums but can't seem to find the answers. Even an educational guess is fine since this is the early stages of the game.

1. I've notice in your picture you tried 5 points in "Battle Trample" When Trample The Fallen would cause you to deal more damage, you also gain 5/10/15/20/25% of your weapon damage in Threat and deal 5/10/15/20/25% of your weapon damage as Physical Damage. I understand the 25% more threat part, but what does it mean to change weapon damage as physical damage?

2. Into the Fray and Iron warrior both give temporary hit points which conjunctions well with Wrathful Warrior for 15% more damage. Do you know which give more temp hit points and about how much %?

3. In your guide you recommend 1500 - 2000 armor penetration. Is there an equivalent equation for each 1% "resistance ignored" gain by DEX point? For example maybe 100 armor pen = 1%.

1) It's simply 25% of your current's weapon damage as bonus damage (ie if your weapon had 100 top end damage, then you'd gain up to 25 extra bonus damage per swing). It's really not very much, and not that great of a talent after testing it. However, the passive itself (Trample the Fallen), is pretty good and I will use it the majority of the time over Ferocious Inspiration.

2) Into the Fray gives your party temp HP, not yourself. Iron Warrior's temp HP is based on your current HP remaining, so the lower health you're at when you pop it, the larger temp HP bonus you gain.

3) Ask Sanctumz.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
    Play my foundry campaign, Vermilion: Spirit of Gevaudan. The first quest, The Desperate Messenger is now available @ NWS-DM44FZM2W
  • sanctumlolsanctumlol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 382 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    All equations for ArP, recovery, crit, etc (except power whose linear) are parabolic. Well, ArP isn't parabolic, I can't remember the name of a function like this, but it's an S shape (has 2 horizontal asymptotes). I'm too lazy to plot stat values to % to get an equation. I've been testing monster dr% values and while some have over 22%, most mobs have 22%. Therefore you should get enough ArP to reach 22% (REMEMBER, Dex gives you ArP% too!).
  • venetia2012venetia2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Hi Rokuthy and Scantum,

Why is ArP better then Tenebrous? Since tenebrous is necro dmg, mobs defense have no effect on Tenebrous dmg?

Thank you.
    edited May 2013
    Hi Rokuthy and Scantum,

Why is ArP better then Tenebrous? Since tenebrous is necro dmg, mobs defense have no effect on Tenebrous dmg?

Thank you.

Tenebrous has a very substancial ICD (internal cooldown), that's pretty much it.
  • basement12basement12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    how much did timeless longsword go for before ah went down couple days ago?
  • malvoumalvou Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're able to get the Gemmed Shirt and Pants from the Platesmithing Job right?
  • venetia2012venetia2012 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    Hi Rokuthy,

Can i check with you a few questions:

1. How is the difference in DPS for dungeon between Stalwart set and Timeless Hero? Which have you tested to be a better set for DPS?

2. I see that you do not use Tenebrous anymore, why is it so?

3. I see from your latest build that you are building alot based on recovery and Armour Pene. Why are they so important? Is armour pene. good for PvE, cause i heard its only useful for PvP.

4. How is your PvE rotation like? Do you use Into the fray alot and block to gain AP for using Villian?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I sincerely hope that you can exchange some pointers for me to build my GF, as my dps is always not as high.

Thank you so so much Rokuthy.
    edited May 2013
    Hi Rokuthy,

Can i check with you a few questions:

1. How is the difference in DPS for dungeon between Stalwart set and Timeless Hero? Which have you tested to be a better set for DPS?

2. I see that you do not use Tenebrous anymore, why is it so?

3. I see from your latest build that you are building alot based on recovery and Armour Pene. Why are they so important? Is armour pene. good for PvE, cause i heard its only useful for PvP.

4. How is your PvE rotation like? Do you use Into the fray alot and block to gain AP for using Villian?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I sincerely hope that you can exchange some pointers for me to build my GF, as my dps is always not as high.

Thank you so so much Rokuthy.

1) On paper, I believe the Stalwart set, assuming full stacks, will do about 180 more DPS than the Timeless setup that I run (180 AE dps), but if you let those stacks drop then the Timeless takes over. So really it just boils down to your playstyle and whether or not you have good uptime on the Stalwart stacks. If I'm feeling lazy I just run with Timeless, that way I'm set up for my boss fights. If I care or want to do max dps, then I'm going to clear all trash in Stalwart and then swap to Timeless for most bosses.

2) I didn't like Tenebrous for PvE, it was doing decent damage, but I much prefer having the stats. For PvP, Tenebrous is beast.

3) Recovery is probably our most important stat, outside of reduced ability CD, you really can't value how much you gain from increased AP gain. It's all around an amazing stat. ArPen is great for PvE, it's the most important stat for DPS after recovery. You'll start hitting DR at 20%, but as Sanctumz pointed out, 22% might be worth stacking to due to innate mob armor.

4) I don't really follow a rotation in this game, at some point you're just going to be mashing stuff when it comes off CD. I mean you really only have 3 buttons to worry about as is. It's probably the easiest game I've ever played in regards to optimal rotations. I don't use Into the Fray but it's probably pretty strong. If I was to run it, I'd replace Lunging Strike with it, but it's just not what I like to use.

If I'm using Stalwart, I'll block the largest attacks from mobs in order to pop Villain's faster, because you take a minimal power hit for doing so. If I'm in Timeless I avoid as much as possible.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • sysquelmaylnsysquelmayln Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm in full Stalwart and come pretty close to your stats, but I need to choose between greater plague/greater vorpal for my weapon enhancement. Any thoughts?
    edited May 2013
    rokuthy wrote: »
    1) On paper, I believe the Stalwart set, assuming full stacks, will do about 180 more DPS than the Timeless setup that I run (180 AE dps), but if you let those stacks drop then the Timeless takes over. So really it just boils down to your playstyle and whether or not you have good uptime on the Stalwart stacks. If I'm feeling lazy I just run with Timeless, that way I'm set up for my boss fights. If I care or want to do max dps, then I'm going to clear all trash in Stalwart and then swap to Timeless for most bosses.

2) I didn't like Tenebrous for PvE, it was doing decent damage, but I much prefer having the stats. For PvP, Tenebrous is beast.

3) Recovery is probably our most important stat, outside of reduced ability CD, you really can't value how much you gain from increased AP gain. It's all around an amazing stat. ArPen is great for PvE, it's the most important stat for DPS after recovery. You'll start hitting DR at 20%, but as Sanctumz pointed out, 22% might be worth stacking to due to innate mob armor.

4) I don't really follow a rotation in this game, at some point you're just going to be mashing stuff when it comes off CD. I mean you really only have 3 buttons to worry about as is. It's probably the easiest game I've ever played in regards to optimal rotations. I don't use Into the Fray but it's probably pretty strong. If I was to run it, I'd replace Lunging Strike with it, but it's just not what I like to use.

If I'm using Stalwart, I'll block the largest attacks from mobs in order to pop Villain's faster, because you take a minimal power hit for doing so. If I'm in Timeless I avoid as much as possible.

On the ArP topic, if you look at dex it gives 1% per point, so you won't hit DR. I'm at 23.6% with 1.5k ArP. On the first point on Stalwart vs Timeless I 100% agree. Keep in mind, in reality it's more than 180 dps. It's 180 + dmg increase from all plaguefire stacks + all debuffs (modifiers are more effective on higher numbers. I gotta calculate how much 22% DR is defense wise to start putting this into spreadsheet). Not to mention it's 180 dps PER target. In the end, you can think of Stalwart as a 8.5-12.5% dps increase.
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I noticed you are testing 4/5 Improved Vigor with 1/5 Take Measure.

Do you miss the extra hit points? It seems like a better choice if not due to the fact that you are still getting multiple sources to proc Wrathful Warrior.
    edited May 2013
    I'm in full Stalwart and come pretty close to your stats, but I need to choose between greater plague/greater vorpal for my weapon enhancement. Any thoughts?

Greater plaguefire is op. It stacks with every other GPF in the party, it buffs everyone's dmg, it's insane dmg individually and, on top of all this, GFs don't have enough crit to warrant the use of vorpal (unless you use timeless, but it's not even optimal).
    edited May 2013
    How does GPF work with multiples in the group and a mob with 22% resistance on top of AP and Feats?
  • donvandaodonvandao Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    timeless set is bis to pvp and regent set is the second best option for pvp ?
  • milkpillowsmilkpillows Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why are we enchanting for arp when gpf is supposed to do this job? Is it still that much of an increase in dps?
    edited May 2013
    How does GPF work with multiples in the group and a mob with 22% resistance on top of AP and Feats?

First, ArP takes a mob to 0% DR maximum (that's a 22% damage increase). Then, Plaguefires take 45% of base defense and gives the damage increase associated with the change in DR% when you take 45% of base defense (This may seem redundant, however, defense isn't linear; 100 defense doesn't always = 1% DR); this happens with infinite plaguefires. The same happens with feats/encounters that reduce defense. Lastly, %DR mitigation reduces last by a flat %.

Basically, Plaguefires and defense reduction feats/encounters work independently of ArP; only base defense matters. %DR mitigation is independent of everything. You can think of %DR mitigation as % DMG.
    edited May 2013
    So ARP is a straight reduction (10% vs 22%=12%) and GPF functions off defense=damage%, at 3000 defense 1xGPF would increase group damage by whatever 1650 was (say 11%) and 2xGPF would increase party damage by 22%?
    edited May 2013
    So ARP is a straight reduction (10% vs 22%=12%) and GPF functions off defense=damage%, at 3000 defense 1xGPF would increase group damage by whatever 1650 was (say 11%) and 2xGPF would increase party damage by 22%?

Yes, that's correct. To calculate the damage increase from plaguefire you would do the following:

Defense value at 22% DR * (1-Plaguefire%*.01) = X Defense

X Defense = Y% DR

22% DR - Y% DR = %Damage increase per PF

%Damage Increase per PF * amount of PFs = Total %Damage increase
  • basement12basement12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    what dyes is your armor? thx
    edited May 2013
    basement12 wrote: »
    what dyes is your armor? thx

Ebon dye on Steel Bulwark.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • btigerbtiger Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How quick can you get 100% AP in a fight? I've been playing with Knights Valor ( when its not bugged ) and in even a small fight, using that skill alone gets me 70%ish in AP. With a CD of around 18sec, I can pretty much pop Villans Menace every 10-15sec, sometimes even have the buff stack. Wondering how quick that is compared to yours and if you think the dps buff from Villans Menace is worth a slot in Knights Valor.
    edited May 2013
    btiger wrote: »
    How quick can you get 100% AP in a fight? I've been playing with Knights Valor ( when its not bugged ) and in even a small fight, using that skill alone gets me 70%ish in AP. With a CD of around 18sec, I can pretty much pop Villans Menace every 10-15sec, sometimes even have the buff stack. Wondering how quick that is compared to yours and if you think the dps buff from Villans Menace is worth a slot in Knights Valor.

15-20 seconds is the longest it would ever take. I've popped it before, used my frontline/enforced and then blocked an attack and had it full well before the initial Villain's even wore off. It's just more RNG dependent than using something like Fray or KV I guess.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • ragnarz2ragnarz2 Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There was a guild titled "Vis Major" in a galaxy far far away on a server named Quellious in EQ1. Any relation?
    edited May 2013
    ragnarz2 wrote: »
    There was a guild titled "Vis Major" in a galaxy far far away on a server named Quellious in EQ1. Any relation?

Maior, not major, but yeah that's us.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer
  • xenodusxenodus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just checking, does Stalwart Armor drop from any other location besides Throne of Idris? Ran that place like 20 over times already in DD and still have not gotten it. Been getting so many shields and blue rings off that chest :mad:

Thanks.
    Filjorn Gyrfalcon@xenodus of Dragon ~
  • vaichanavaichana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    It can drop from some of the t2 delve chests. It did a couple of times for me, do not remember which one or if it was just from one either. Possibly spider temple? But eh... I always feel kinda disappointed when I find t1 items in t2 chests, stalwart or not.
  • st4tu5st4tu5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey Rokuthy this might be a dumb question but what Dye or Dye pack did you use. :D thanks
    edited May 2013
    st4tu5 wrote: »
    Hey Rokuthy this might be a dumb question but what Dye or Dye pack did you use. :D thanks

The Ebon dye pack.
    @rokuthy on Mindflayer