test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guard ability broken?

azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I was wondering if anyone else is having trouble with their Guardian's Guard ability after today's patch.
For some reason my Guardian often takes the stance, but he doesn't actually go "into" Guard mode, he puts his shield up but he keeps taking damage as normal until I release SHIFT and press it again - then if I'm lucky he'll start blocking properly.
This happens with a full Guard meter, so it's not an issue of it being down - at first I thought it was some sneaky Drow ability, but everything is getting past the Guard as if it's not there (except for the animation).
Artificer.jpg
Post edited by azahron on

Comments

• cavalierkillercavalierkiller Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Read on another thread that they moved it from client side to server side, so some lag/bug problem maybe.
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Read on another thread that they moved it from client side to server side, so some lag/bug problem maybe.

Hopefully they'll revert or optimize some stuff, it's made my Guardian pretty much unplayable. =/
    Artificer.jpg
  • snapybsnapyb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    /bump

yea i have realised it too its effecting me in pvp a lot also i hold down my key and wen i realase it its fine but if i press the button again it will block for a second and ten stop this happens when im moving in any direction.. need a fix to this asap kinda makes a gaurdian a 1h gwf lol
  • mslettlesmslettles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Please Neverwinter Dev's. Forum Mods. Anyone who is listening. This needs to be fixed ASAP. I just ran a dungeon and this is making my GF almost unplayable in high stress/movement areas. If you need me to post screenshots, videos, logs whatever. I'll do it just to get this fixed.
  • tarlockentarlocken Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's even worse so in PVP. My guardian fighter is pretty unplayable now due to this chance. Quick blocking for specific attacks is pretty much required, and now that you can't block within 5-10 seconds of blocking previously, I'm as good as dead.
  • azahronazahron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bumping this for others who have this bug.
    Artificer.jpg
  • zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bump because our class is already broken enough, don't need these new bugs every patch :D
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What they should do is "trust but verify". Let the client-side do what it was doing before, but have the server check the results, and make sure they make sense.

What was happening before the patch, which was blocking being 100% client-side and the server just accepting whatever it gets (including client-side hacks), is obviously not acceptable. But not everything needs to take a round-trip to the server every time.
  • archwardenarchwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    What else must they do for you to get the message that they don't want us to tank?
    They don't want us to hold threat, or block incoming attacks.
    What is it that you don't understand?
    Availiable for hire for T1/T2 DD at Mindflayer (european gmts):
    Gaurwulf - GF, hybrid tank/dps, GS 12.5k
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Oh I thought it was just me! I thought it was some kind of lag issue. Glad to see other people are having the same problems. Hope they fix it soon.
    edited May 2013
    archwarden wrote: »
    What else must they do for you to get the message that they don't want us to tank?

I'm starting to feel that this is one of those games where I picked the redheaded stepchild of the classes. :p
    Still, they promised that they'd look into balancing once the more urgent issues settle down, so I'm hopeful things will improve (and that this latest problem will hopefully be fixed before then).
    Artificer.jpg
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    azahron wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone else is having trouble with their Guardian's Guard ability after today's patch.
    For some reason my Guardian often takes the stance, but he doesn't actually go "into" Guard mode, he puts his shield up but he keeps taking damage as normal until I release SHIFT and press it again - then if I'm lucky he'll start blocking properly.
    This happens with a full Guard meter, so it's not an issue of it being down - at first I thought it was some sneaky Drow ability, but everything is getting past the Guard as if it's not there (except for the animation).

I noticed this yesterday as well, figured it was lag and it frequently caused me to not block "dazed" effects from rogues. Which in PVP is huge and cost me a death or two almost every game. Last minute block is really the biggest thing a GF has, take that away and as others mentioned, just a 1H GWF... which is also very underpowered...

I really hope this gets fixed soon, or this is going to be another "D3" fail where it took so long to fix, people quit...
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Had this happen to me too. I thought maybe my keyboard, but it seems to work fine for the other classes.
  • demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There was a hack people were using to get Massive damage + Inf Block, PW fixed this by moving the value to Client side, good work on the quick fix PW. Need tweaking so it dosn't make GF unplayable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • jamezwithazjamezwithaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    I recently started playing my GF again and I was wondering why it was that I was guarding but still taking full damage.
    edited May 2013
    There was a hack people were using to get Massive damage + Inf Block, PW fixed this by moving the value to Client side, good work on the quick fix PW. Need tweaking so it dosn't make GF unplayable.

**** exploiters always ruining it for the rest of us. =/
    Artificer.jpg
  • zedmuszedmus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have noticed this to. I honestly thought it was my keyboard like many others since its pretty old and can often times mess up and cause things like this. Hope it gets fixed soon.
  • snapybsnapyb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    wait so your saying pwe made a "fix" to the unlimited block exploit? and that fix was to nerf it so once u block cant for X amount of seconds after? ..... im sorry but that has possibly got to be the stupidest thing pwe has ever done you might as well make blocking an encounter skill. In pvp atm guards do not have a chance against any cc when its more then a 1v1 all you can do is hold block for the time till it runs out and then die. Blocking is crucial to the class no block = death when facing 2 or more opponents , this also goes for instances if u release block to taunt while moving you wont b able to block again leading to full damage from set mobs or bosses leading to the cleric losing his mind having to heal you through this.

on a side note agreed exploiters ruin it for everyone in my opinion you should all get banned if your a constant offender because i assume about 60% of those that used this exploit probably used the other ones like the massive damage exploit n whatever is stil unknown to majority of the public gj dickheads.

But pwe you need to fix this asap. Your player base has shrunk after the whole AD fumble and now you hav followed up with this.. when are you guys going to actually fix an issue with out messing something else up?
    edited May 2013
    buuuuuuuuuuuump
  • eldurrp1eldurrp1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find that holding down shift to guard doesn't seem to register immediately after using an encounter, or if you drop guard and put it back up again without doing anything else in between.

The best work around that I've found is to immediately Cleave after you use an encounter, followed by a quick shift to go into guard mode. (or if you exit guard mode by letting up on shift, make sure you Cleave before going into guard mode again)

If you don't do this, it'll sometimes look like you are in Guard, but you'll still get hit.

I hope they fix this soon so that we get back the responsive blocks that we're used to.
  • glowyrmzglowyrmz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yeah except that they have said they want to fix those very things, threat management being very high on their list.
    cROpbBa.png
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013

^ good one :D
  • hatey0hatey0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having the same problem.
  • jtype5jtype5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eldurrp1 wrote: »
    I find that holding down shift to guard doesn't seem to register immediately after using an encounter, or if you drop guard and put it back up again without doing anything else in between.

The best work around that I've found is to immediately Cleave after you use an encounter, followed by a quick shift to go into guard mode. (or if you exit guard mode by letting up on shift, make sure you Cleave before going into guard mode again)

If you don't do this, it'll sometimes look like you are in Guard, but you'll still get hit.

I hope they fix this soon so that we get back the responsive blocks that we're used to.

This 100x. It's not just guard after guard, it's guard after everything but cleave.
  • terribad249terribad249 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bump for obvious reasons
  • zzzzzdankzzzzzdank Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just to keep you all informed, I did post to their twitter the link to the bug report topic on this subject, so it should get seen for sure.
    edited May 2013
    y wont a dev/gm or wtv reply to this if so many ppl r having issues from this problem
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If only people dident hack the client side of gaurd/sprint and all other "utility" powers :D?
    Its only logic they moved it to server side?...
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • shadowpwn691shadowpwn691 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They made it server side?!!!! This will make it impossible to play for ppl with 250+ ping (aka me) :(
  • uncag3duncag3d Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes ppl were modding an editing it to where they had 999999999999% more block on client side
    FearITsSelf #1 GF
    From #1 Guild Pve/Pvp [ Lemonade Stand ]