test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why is there so much hype about the damage chart?

realborealbo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
First, this is not a troll thread. I'm bringing up a legit concern.

Everyone wants to do the most damage. I get it. However, I don't understand all the hoopla about the damage charts. Why is everyone so concerned about it? It gives the TOTAL damage in the dungeon, which means little compared to actual DPS.

As a GWF player, I'm more concerned about the DPS, rather than the total damage done during the entire run. Total damage can easily be padded in a lot of ways such as doing AoE or getting to the mobs earlier than other team members.

Am I the only one here who wants the DPS chart rather than total damage? It gives a more accurate scale on how yo compare against other dps members of your team. Just wanted to know what other people think about this.
Admiralsig.png
Post edited by realbo on

Comments

• bilbobragginsbilbobraggins Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Total damage is generally a better stat than DPS because generally everything did need killing. On a bursty class it would be easy to have very high DPS with low activity and not contribute at all.

Being quicker at applying damage to the mobs isn't padding your DPS its more along the lines of showcasing player skill.

Encounter analysis has much more to it than DPS even in this game. Did someone tunnel the boss? Did someone kill or kite adds?

To summarize I think you're pretty much completely wrong and DPS often shows little or nothing about what went on in an encounter when looked at alone.
  • karandordaockarandordaoc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    The best way to judge is whether you beat the encounter or not and how long it took you to beat it.

If everything went smoothly, everyone was doing their job. If it didn't, then it's time to care.
  • thetravelingboythetravelingboy Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where is the hoopla? I haven't heard anything about them, of course I use a CW so I'm usually in the top 2 anyway from all my AOE.
  • weeatdimsumweeatdimsum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They should just do away with the end stats on damage and everything. Boss is dead. How much of the damage you did in a dungeon is pretty irrelevant. You can do billions of damage, but lets not forget that you wouldn't have done all that damage as freely if not for your party members. If you ask me, Clerics should get first dibs on every item in the game. They take on so much more than what most classes would even consider handling alone right now.
  • bolokadabolokada Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    realbo wrote: »
    First, this is not a troll thread. I'm bringing up a legit concern.

Everyone wants to do the most damage. I get it. However, I don't understand all the hoopla about the damage charts. Why is everyone so concerned about it? It gives the TOTAL damage in the dungeon, which means little compared to actual DPS.

As a GWF player, I'm more concerned about the DPS, rather than the total damage done during the entire run. Total damage can easily be padded in a lot of ways such as doing AoE or getting to the mobs earlier than other team members.

Am I the only one here who wants the DPS chart rather than total damage? It gives a more accurate scale on how yo compare against other dps members of your team. Just wanted to know what other people think about this.

DPS can easily be padded as well. I'm not a fan of damage tracking in any form, really.
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Q: Why is there so much hype about the damage chart?

A: e-peen
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What people should watch is damage taken . MOVE and take less damage .
  • cinteccintec Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Allowing plugins would be nice. I used Skada in WoW and it would show you a breakdown of everything that happened in a fight per character - DPS, total damage/healing, damage/healing for latest fight only, stuns, deaths, interrupts, absorbed damage etc.. A very handy tool for a raid leader to see who's doing their job and who isn't. Unless I'm missing something I don't see addon support coming though, too bad.
  • bilbobragginsbilbobraggins Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cintec wrote: »
    Allowing plugins would be nice. I used Skada in WoW and it would show you a breakdown of everything that happened in a fight per character - DPS, total damage/healing, damage/healing for latest fight only, stuns, deaths, interrupts, absorbed damage etc.. A very handy tool for a raid leader to see who's doing their job and who isn't. Unless I'm missing something I don't see addon support coming though, too bad.

If it was necessary this into could probably be pulled right from the client and at least tracked into an offline folder. The encounters don't seem to mandate that sort of focus yet though.
  • byonahbyonah Member Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    cintec wrote: »

There is ACT.