test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NW - Silenced? How the? what the? zomg! What happend?

vulcan111vulcan111 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok so I'm in game and I like to talk, every once in a while and joke around with the communtiy, I made a joke and isntatly was silenced. How did this happen? I never broke any terms of service and was not directed at any one person or had any poltical or relgious talk to it. hmmm.

If I cant freely talk in an mmo, which is the whole point of an mmo, is socialize with other people, then why play this mmo?

This happend so fast on my server I wonder if a group of people are going around report spaming people after this mornings patch?

Whats the offical word on what probably happend? :cool:

I got a screenshot of the convo, I guess I have to post it somewhere first. How do I do that?

Here is the convo, I posted on photobucket

I posted convo on photobucket

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/JackFrost55555/media/WHATfer_zps77ed84fe.png.html
Post edited by vulcan111 on

Comments

• jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It happened because enough people reported you for spam

Working as intended
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't let the actions of a few people without a sense of humor bother you just wait the 24 hours and join the chat tomorrow.
    @Powerblast in game
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    vulcan111 wrote: »
    If I cant freely talk in an mmo, which is the whole point of an mmo, is socialize with other people, then why play this mmo?

A sufficient number of people may have felt that your jokes were inappropriate or undesired. The Zone chat is probably not the best place for socializing. Join a guild, use a custom channel, join us here on the forums. It is possible that some people abuse the report spam feature, though most complaints seem to come from players who probably deserved the chat ban. (I feel it should only affect the Zone chat, not all forms of talking, including party chat.)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • vulcan111vulcan111 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • mmogfailsmmogfails Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013
    Ok so I'm in game and I like to talk, every once in a while and joke around with the communtiy, I made a joke and isntatly was silenced. How did this happen? I never broke any terms of service and was not directed at any one person or had any poltical or relgious talk to it. hmmm.

This happend so fast on my server I wonder if a group of people are going around report spaming people after this mornings patch?

I got a screenshot of the convo, I guess I have to post it somewhere first. How do I do that?

20 people didn't appreciate your sense of humor...
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Member Posts: 3,514 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is how it works.

Every time you get ignored or someone does Report Spam on you, you get a number of demerits on your account. These don't go away over time.

As soon as your demerits hit a certain number (which is not exactly known yet), you get silenced, and then your demerits get wiped.

This feature was implemented to silence Gold Sellers. But it's abused (confirmed by Cryptic) to silence other players maliciously, sometimes.

Best way to not be silenced is to not chat, in any channels, ever. If you want to chat, try not to offend anyone. Also don't spam. Also try not Needing on everything, even stuff you can't use. Don't have a vulgar or stupid name.

Fun facts: You can be silenced by people when you're not in the game. You can get silenced while you're silenced. It makes lots of sense.
  • scorgescorge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    The Zone chat is probably not the best place for socializing. Join a guild, use a custom channel, join us here on the forums.

yes please do not be sociable, this game is just full of grifers and exploiters.. sad.. and i feel going downhill pretty quick.
    edited May 2013
    scorge2 wrote: »
    yes please do not be sociable, this game is just full of grifers and exploiters.. sad.. and i feel going downhill pretty quick.

This system is in all Cryptic games. They're not failing because of it.
  • somnolence2somnolence2 Member Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    Hey look at my troll post in global... why did I get reported for SPAM?

Interesting question sir.
    http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/ - because some times MMO's fail.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    scorge2 wrote: »

I didn't suggest to him to not be sociable. I offered the suggestion that there are better places for it than the Zone chat. The game is also full of spammers and verbally abusive folks, which this community feature is intended for. It's not perfect, obviously, but what is a better solution, considering that this is a F2P game where you can make as many accounts as you please?
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • wujenswujens Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    PERHAPS BECAUSE YOU TYPED YOUR JOKE IN ALL CAPS!!....some people see that as yelling.
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey I remember you! I reported you!
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I reported that Rie guy.
    I only logged in today to invoke and set Professions and happened to see that person's Troll spam.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
    edited May 2013
    Hey I remember you! I reported you!

I'm not mad at you, I'm just shocked that players can do this to someone without any oversight of a real customer support person to ensure honest people dont get silenced. I have always been a joker, its who I am. I cant change and I would rather people ignore me instead. I dont know if I can keep playing if every day I have to be silenced and not be free to express myself to the fullest. I undestand not everyone is going to be fans, thats why there is an ignore function. I dont know why PW would allow this except as a way to not have to deal with goldselling themselfs. I just feel its being used wrong.
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm not mad at you, I'm just shocked that players can do this to someone without any oversight of a real customer support person to ensure honest people dont get silenced. I have always been a joker, its who I am. I cant change and I would rather people ignore me instead. I dont know if I can keep playing if every day I have to be silenced and not be free to express myself to the fullest. I undestand not everyone is going to be fans, thats why there is an ignore function. I dont know why PW would allow this except as a way to not have to deal with goldselling themselfs. I just feel its being used wrong.

Cool story bro tell it again.
    edited May 2013
    Coulda just been that you typed in caps. People are finicky.
  • bori4bori4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    I /ignore anything racist, sexist, homophobic, wildly obscene (not talking about the odd F bomb here or there - I mean really offensive) or that was posted by anyone whose name is anything of those things.

Oh, and "wipe" spam gets an ignore from me either in game or on the forums.
    Bori - Renegade Drow - 40 Trickster Rogue - Mindflayer
    Elocin - Renegade Drow - 39 Devoted Cleric of Selune - Mindflayer

Looking for some Dust of Forum Troll Disappearance
    ? Sprinkle this on any troll to phase shift them out of your plane of existence. ;)

• elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

1. You can always appeal. Your suspension is likely to end before the appeal is looked at though.
    2. The community finds your "jokes" to be annoying. If you are, as you say, unable to change, then you will continue to be silenced.
    3. The reason why the function exists is to keep all forms of spam suppressed, not just gold-selling. Of course *you* don't like it, you're the one who's spamming.

P.S. "FULL WIPE" isn't much of a joke. And people have been yelling that for days now. Try: a) better material, b) newer material and c) a different chat channel. WoW has a bunch.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Here is the convo, I posted on photobucket

I posted convo on photobucket

http://s1308.photobucket.com/user/JackFrost55555/media/WHATfer_zps77ed84fe.png.html

You know what. The OP is absolutely right. All he made was one comment, in all caps, about wanting a wipe and who was with him. Now the community could have flamed him at that point, hell. I might have. But he has ABSOLUTELY every right to say that in chat.

Not one thing he said was wrong. As far as I'm concerning. Cryptic is 100% in the wrong with this. I've stuck up for you guys in the past. But your dead wrong here. Dead wrong. Vulcan. If I were you I'd really make a issue of this. Take it to some online mags. Let the gaming community know what kind of community is forming here in Neverwinter.

Because honestly. You guys suck. I played CoH from birth til death and never saw anything like this, from the devs, GM, or players. I expect this type of retardedness from WoW. Guess I can expect it here too.

Oh, and for the record. Not a fan of shouting out stuff in all caps. But that is not spamming.
    This is spamming.
    This is spamming.
    This is spamming.
    This is spamming.
    This is spamming.
    This is spamming.
    This is spamming.
    This is spamming.

It's called a dictionary look it up.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would have ignored you for sure.

Back in the olden days, of CRT monitors, RDRAM, and Dial Up, punks like you knew to not run off at the mouth in zone chat. If'n ya did we black listed ya, and you never got an invite to a sweet Sarnak Fort group. Then ye went home and cried yer eyes out on yer enormous pillaws.

Oh my lumbago...
  • borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's a system that solves the real spamming issue very efficiently and cheaply. The downside is that it is also extremely easy to abuse. Better get used to it though because the alternative would cost money and involve hiring people. Looking at how well that is going on the customer service side I dread to think how much spam there would be if PW was in charge of policing chat.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ogarious wrote: »
    You know what. The OP is absolutely right. All he made was one comment, in all caps, about wanting a wipe and who was with him. Now the community could have flamed him at that point, hell. I might have. But he has ABSOLUTELY every right to say that in chat.

And people have been saying that in chat for days. The community is tired of it.

He had the right to say it. The community had the right to say "Enough is enough."
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • drakesigardrakesigar Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ok so I'm in game and I like to talk, every once in a while and joke around with the communtiy, I made a joke and isntatly was silenced.

It must have been a really crappy joke.
    Check out Adventuring College! A 20 minute male-centric comedic solo adventure.
    Quest ID: NW-DPCZNUVQ7
  • wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup sorry OP many are sick of seeing that type of joke....heck it is only 24 hours just learn from it.
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    [QUOTE=vulcan111;3737031 I dont know if I can keep playing if every day I have to be silenced and not be free to express myself to the fullest.[/QUOTE]

***. Door. Don't.
    edited May 2013
    I dont take things like full wipe as serious as most people, this is a game, is meant to be fun, wheres all the yelling for full wipe after the auction house came back is probably the crux of the joke. You may not have gotten it and take it way to serious, you know this is a game, its meant for fun, not to be taken too seriously, hence comedians exist, to give perspective to our existance.

/ignore is one thing, but /spam and silence someone, those are things for things that are out of bounds and are agaisnt terms of serivce. Guess its ok to silence people these days even if they have not done anything wrong. Anyway, gl with your game, and it wont be wow I'm going to. I'll just play my other mmo till ESO comes out. Hope you get the community you like after people like me who beleive in freedom of speech to a normal sane level are gone.
  • zophie#5279 zophie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    And people have been saying that in chat for days. The community is tired of it.

He had the right to say it. The community had the right to say "Enough is enough."

Agreed 100%.
    edited May 2013
    /ignore is one thing, but /spam and silence someone, those are things for things that are out of bounds and are agaisnt terms of serivce.

You don't get to dictate that, it's the community's decision.

"Freedom of speech." ROFL. Another failed constitutional scholar.

Let's see if you really leave...
  • srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    LOL i was there, i cant believe u got ignored!! thats like u posted zomg...
    edited May 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    I would have ignored you for sure.

Back in the olden days, of CRT monitors, RDRAM, and Dial Up, punks like you knew to not run off at the mouth in zone chat. If'n ya did we black listed ya, and you never got an invite to a sweet Sarnak Fort group. Then ye went home and cried yer eyes out on yer enormous pillaws.

Oh my lumbago...

Pffft, Kunark? ****.

;)
This discussion has been closed.