test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Offensive names!

flatfootsamflatfootsam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Kinda discouraging to say the least and a big black eye to the community when you see players with DieJewdie and Whitepower as their name. :(

Is anything being done to clean this up? Most other games frown upon this kinda stuff? Most other companies have some kinda filter when creating names. I Suggest you guys do the same or you will lose some serious customers.

As a parent i gotta say this kinda Language in player names is the defining factor why I would not let my kids wonder around Neverwinter. I have 3 kids. That is 3 potential customers if you clean it up...

Seems like a great game so far. Hope you get it all sorted out and I can actually look forward to making this family game.
The lost Halflings~Code:NW-DC5DGPFJR
Post edited by flatfootsam on

Comments

• Options
    nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you really think that filtering the words "white" and "power" would be a good idea?

You're an adult, explain to your children that some people are idiots and move on. Also, you have no issue with your kids seeing the violence in this game but you want to protect them from naughty words?
  • Options
    jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Report them, that's what i do
  • Options
    fishblasterfishblaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do you really think that filtering the words "white" and "power" would be a good idea?

You're an adult, explain to your children that some people are idiots and move on. Also, you have no issue with your kids seeing the violence in this game but you want to protect them from naughty words?

i had a char on final fantasy online named whitepower. i was a healer.
    had nothing to do with the kkk, just that fact that i wanted to be a white mage.
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really ? Your kids spending hours playing video games and you worried about the NAMES they see ? You do know the maturity of the average gamer is about 9 . They will see way more then offensive names in an MMO . This is not Lego Universe .
    Hope you don't send them to public school . Planning on keeping them locked in your house , so you can protect them from getting their feelings hurt their whole life ?
  • Options
    dreadlordmikeydreadlordmikey Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a game that features death, the undead, hacking people to bits with swords and knives, people burning to death, war, people dying on a massive scale, explosives, impalings, electrocutions, acid baths, chemical weapons, orcs making sausages from human entrails, people running around scantily clad, and you're worried because your children are exposed to some names you find offensive?

It might be time to review your priorities.

[EDIT: To OP, not jn2002dk1]
    "Over the course of my many years I have learned one thing: I don't know anything, I only think I do. And I'm not even sure about that." -- Rasgard the Wise
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Report them...clear violation of the T&C...and to all the people saying it is alright well it is not alright. kids can play this game D&D is a family game.
    If you want to call characters names like this make your own game and do it to characters in your own game.
  • Options
    kristingravekristingrave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's a bit silly honestly.
    If you don't like someone with a offensive name block/report them or something alike. I hate when games filter everything, because then the filter becomes broken and non offensive words get into the filter. People will state way more offensive things in chats/etc anyways then what their name displays. Or just turn off other players names if your kids are playing.
    GasMaskSmall-1.png
    Lift me up..
    Panda@kristingrave - CW - Dragon
    Death@healxyou - DC - Dragon
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't matter like I said it is a violation of the T&C...
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just report them.

Personally, I'm not offended by the name. I'm just offended that I have to share <unacceptable>.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Report and move on. Bringing this up or confronting the violators. Only gets the local bridge dwellers all up in arms.
  • Options
    nunavailablenunavailable Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    Really ? Your kids spending hours playing video games and you worried about the NAMES they see ? You do know the maturity of the average gamer is about 9 . They will see way more then offensive names in an MMO . This is not Lego Universe .
    Hope you don't send them to public school . Planning on keeping them locked in your house , so you can protect them from getting their feelings hurt their whole life ?
    You kinda missed the point that he (or she?), as a concerned parent, was requesting action on offensive names. That's not sheltering, that's good parenting. Had he been overreacting, he'd have kept his kids off the internets forever because of a cuss word.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wrenaq wrote: »

I'm viewing the forums in threaded view. You seem to be under the impression that I was replying to you, and I wasn't.
    "Over the course of my many years I have learned one thing: I don't know anything, I only think I do. And I'm not even sure about that." -- Rasgard the Wise
  • Options
    kristingravekristingrave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly I have yet to run into any 'offensive' name in game. Kinda curious what server the OP plays on where they see such things.
    GasMaskSmall-1.png
    Lift me up..
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For the mature gamers , this actually improves my gameplay . I never answer a question by some folio with an annoying name . I wont group with one either . I figure if they have to give themselves an attention grabbing name , most likely they can not play anyways . Why waist my time with them .
    Even in Lego Universe you had foolios that could get around the name filter . Humans are just annoying .
  • Options
    drusillusdrusillus Member Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Stain.... But I'm German and I can deal with it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That's a bit silly honestly.
    If you don't like someone with a offensive name block/report them or something alike. I hate when games filter everything, because then the filter becomes broken and non offensive words get into the filter. People will state way more offensive things in chats/etc anyways then what their name displays. Or just turn off other players names if your kids are playing.

Back in my COH days, they had silly name filters implemented. We found out that the silliest words were filtered because they were "vulgar" in some obscure foreign language (to which the game was never ported!).

Enforced name filters are bad, m'kay?
  • Options
    leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Report them...clear violation of the T&C...and to all the people saying it is alright well it is not alright. kids can play this game D&D is a family game.
    If you want to call characters names like this make your own game and do it to characters in your own game.

Yes, another "Family" game where you hack people to death for enjoyment.
  • Options
    aronwenaronwen Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    Honestly I have yet to run into any 'offensive' name in game. Kinda curious what server the OP plays on where they see such things.

Mindflayer has had quite a few, and to your 1st post, you can turn off the chat filter, names should be filtered. there's difference between the violence found in games and the inappropriate things actual people say.
  • Options
    jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Back in my COH days, they had silly name filters implemented. We found out that the silliest words were filtered because they were "vulgar" in some obscure foreign language (to which the game was never ported!).

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes and many disney films have violence in, it is comic violence. Like I said if you don't like the T&C take it up with the devs.
    Just about every game which is not a PEGI 18 game has rules against offensive names, this one is no different so what is the point trying to berate the OP? he is in the right.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Yep had games like that, which I played. We had things like 'coconut' 'paper' 'cucumber' 'rage' etc in the filter. It was really awkward talking in that game that's for sure lol, every other sentence something was filtered and we had to guess what someone meant.
    GasMaskSmall-1.png
    Lift me up..
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    aronwen wrote: »
    Mindflayer has had quite a few, and to your 1st post, you can turn off the chat filter, names should be filtered. there's difference between the violence found in games and the inappropriate things actual people say.

On Dragon I really have never yet seen an offensive name, and I'm at end game.
    I mean turn names off over peoples names in game, then make the chat itself really small and the text tiny as possible if kids are playing, that way they won't see anything offensive. Also if you are letting I'm guessing young kids play this game, then just keep an eye on them as they play? If they are teens, leave them alone, I'm sure they see more offensive things in school then on a online MMO.
    GasMaskSmall-1.png
    Lift me up..
  • Options
    nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Doesn't matter, like I said, be an adult and ignore them.
  • Options
    platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I saw "<offensive>" and "<offensive>" both hanging out together last night. I was very surprised at the 1st name. The 2nd, only a little since I had just seen that 1st one.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Doesn't matter, like I said, be an adult and ignore them.
    Uhm nope, that's not how it works
    You either adhere to the T&C or risk a ban for being immature and completely devoid of creativity when choosing a name for your character

Got nothing to do with being adult, in fact it's probably the other way around
  • Options
    nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can report the name which is a little like a message in a bottle, but you can try. The real image of a failed system will occur that time that you see someone with a racial epithet for a name and try to enter a ticket for it only to find that:

The system has detected profanity in your request; this is not allowed

How’s that for a time saver. No harm no foul right?

The truth is that in this game you are perusing a corner of the internet. The absentee devs will either keep it cleaned up and looking nice or, as seems to be the most likely case, they will let it fall into decay and become scummy.

You don’t have any say in it either way. You can’t give the staff a work ethic. You can't provide them any leadership, courage or direction. If the game is allowed to become a racist pesthole then it will do just that and you should definitely steer your kids and your money elsewhere. I think you will find every other argument boils down to that one point and that one solution.

Sorry. I too wish there was a better solution. It seems we can hand out chat bans but we can’t touch a racist. Go Team.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think you are misunderstanding---- I do not use offensive names. My character's name is actually from GoT.

I simply believe that getting so mad over a naughty word is foolish, especially in a game so violent.

Also, I'm probably older than you, judging by your grammar.
    I doubt it and forgive any mistakes but english isn't my first language. Nice ad hominem though. You should look into logical fallacies because i don't think you understand the concept. At any rate someone claiming that persons who'd like a clean game without racist slurs should grow up are not mature no matter their actual age

It's simple. This game has a T&C and a button to report name violations
    Your claim about growing up is stupid and pointless. You don't make the rules, you either follow them or get a ban
  • Options
    darthfader67darthfader67 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One person's opinion of what is considered offensive may or may not be the opinion of another. We cannot move through life with the expectation that everything we find offensive should or will be changed or removed. That isn't the way it works. We all have different beliefs and/or value systems. Conforming to your beliefs/values is not something I'm willing to do.

Some names are funny and clever innuendo, where others are blatantly stupid (IMO). However, I'm fully aware that this situation can and will exist. I can either lighten up and deal with it, ignore it, or move on down the road to the next MMO. Where once, again I will be at a crossroads.

I am a parent too. I deal with answering questions regarding controversy, racism, death, violence, etc. to my kids. This is no different. I have to be a parent and help them understand the world we live in, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Pro Tip #1: You can go into Options and Turn Off the display of Names.
    Pro Tip #2: If you kids are capable of playing this game, it is likely they are capable of resetting the options to show the names. However, in your case, I'm sure your kids will listen and respect your wishes to the letter. As do my own!!!
This discussion has been closed.