test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Client Side Data: Could Neverwinter Be Played Offline?

klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've been hearing rumors that Neverwinter's data is stored on the user's own computer and not on the server. If that's true, then would it be possible to bypass the online servers and play the game offline?

Even better, could I actually modify the game's data itself? For instance, could I stop bosses spawning crazy amounts of adds? Or lower the hitpoints and damage that some bosses do?

I'm not concerned if the server no longer recognizes my client, because I have no wish to ever play online again and my modifications (or cheats if you want to be mean) won't effect anybody but me.

I really like the game, but I hate the whole multiplayer aspect of it and there are so many things I wish I could change. So if I could turn it into a real singleplayer game that would be incredibly awesome.
Post edited by klixan on

Comments

• kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I imagine that although there are some important figures stored client-side (which is idiotic and a huge, obvious, stupid thing to do that any MMO developer should know) their servers still do a lot of grunt work as far as monsters, NPCs, etc. Not to mention I'm sure the EULA or whatever states you can't do it.
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Bummer! I was really hopeful there for a second.

Note to Cryptic: If you want to make an offline patch and sell it, that is something I would actually spend money on.
  • silvernitesilvernite Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    In regards to the legal aspects of this question, the answer would be no. Modifying the game is not only against the terms, it also violates the national and international intellectual property rights. Basically, it's an actual crime in real life that can result in fines and imprisonment if you are caught.

Now to the main question, the answer is still no. Where most of the game is on the user's computer, all your items and other major information are stored on the servers.
  • suroh66suroh66 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nothing major is ever stored client side it would defeat the purpose of an mmo these rumors are wrong, sorry :P
  • deurkier1deurkier1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    well you might not be able to play it offline, BUT! you can exploit the **** out of it and if you are smart and have a GF you can easly do ANOTHER 1 shot kill exploit but this time it includes GODMODE also you can now have infinity divine power/stealth and or infinity slides/dodges BUT don't worry about that the AH is back :):):D<3
  • toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Not all content is on the client; when you go to a completely new area, it has to download new asset data, so it wouldn't work on a fundamental level. I do wish foundry was offlineable.
  • zophie#5279 zophie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    deurkier1 wrote: »
    it includes GODMODE also you can now have infinity divine power/stealth and or infinity slides/dodges

Actually this was already patched.
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The game was designed to be an offline co-op game at first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    suroh66 wrote: »
    nothing major is ever stored client side it would defeat the purpose of an mmo these rumors are wrong, sorry :P

Nope, they're not wrong. These are not rumors. Wake up and smell the coffee.
  • mmogfailsmmogfails Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2013

Yeah, that's why there are so many features on the client's side. It's almost as if they are there to use them. And abuse them.
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I wish they kept that plan. It'd be soo much more like NWN1 then with new graphics...
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    hmm ... it looks like more of the game player become hyperbole so quickly. just because some mechanics is done client-side EVERYTHING done offline, quite funny actually, it almost feel that this is your first MMO, or is it? well what ever good luck of becoming a spammer in the forums ....
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ranguren wrote: »
    hmm ... it looks like more of the game player become hyperbole so quickly. just because some mechanics is done client-side EVERYTHING done offline, quite funny actually, it almost feel that this is your first MMO, or is it? well what ever good luck of becoming a spammer in the forums ....

makes no sense to me, who is that directed at? who here posted anything "spamming"? What post here makes anything look like someones 1st mmo? If it was at me (since it quickly followed my post) then I've played mmo's since UO and played all that were any good. All because I'd prefer this one to not be an mmo means nothing of my knowledge of mmo's. NWN was hugely successful and everyone I ever heard say anything about it was positive where as this current game as plenty of negatives.
  • zophie#5279 zophie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some people don't seem to realize that many game calculations are done on both the server and the client to reduce lag, but ultimately the server decides which calculations to keep and which ones are rubbish.