test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PLEASE place a fee on sending mail...

keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
...to anyone who is not on your account, or who does not have you in their friends list.

10 copper per mail or something small would be fine. This should cost spammers enough that they won't do it. If they do, up the cost of stamps! :)

Seriously, how often does someone send mail to someone who hasn't friended them anyway?

Edit:
Ok, people were getting caught up on the numbers and absolutes, so let me generalize a bit here:
- Yes, allow people to block everyone not on their friends list
- Yes, perhaps permit a few free emails a day and make the cost increase sharply (exponentially) after that
- Yes, the cost of a 'stamp' could change if it's not working

None of this is absolute. The only goal is to cost the spammers abusing the system money while leaving players legitimately using the system free to play the game.
Post edited by keeganfox on

Comments

• everythingsdeadeverythingsdead Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mind = blown
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Another option would be to allow players to set a filter:

1. OFF = All emails can get through
    2. Only Friends/Guildmates
    3. Everyone but those on my Ignored List.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Click report spam, then click delete. Its two silly clicks.

I don't honestly see a problem here.
  • bringerofreddawnbringerofreddawn Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »

They use different accounts...
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I suppose it depends upon the extent of the spam - in the heyday of CoX, I would log in and have a tiny scroll box and have to go through a huge list of spam emails...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    keeganfox wrote: »
    ...to anyone who is not on your account, or who does not have you in their friends list.

10 copper per mail or something small would be fine. This should cost spammers enough that they won't do it. If they do, up the cost of stamps! :)

Seriously, who sends mail to someone who hasn't friended them anyway?

Yeah that will sure stop the spammers, LOL
  • kevinf08kevinf08 Member Posts: 432 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You have to be level 15 to send mail.

Report the spammers, they will get banned, and perhaps someday get bored of leveling to 15.

I would prefer no fee on mail for reasons i'm not willing to share :)
  • arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Fee? No.

Option to only accept mail from friends? YES!!!!!!

When have I ever needed to receive mail from a random stranger who isn't on my friendlist in any MMORPG? NEVER!!!!!!!! I never have! You'd think by now that at least 1 MMORPG would of added this option by the year 2013, but none have!

Do it Cryptic! Be the first to finally stop MMORPG ingame mail spam! If I enable "Only accept mail from friends", and someone who isn't on my friendlist sends me ingame mail, then I want the mail returned to them stating that I have blocked all incoming mail to people who aren't on my friendlist!

Please make it happen! What kind of a stranger sends ingame mail to another stranger unless it's for a gold selling ad?
  • necrodaggernecrodagger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah that would be a good idea

I get dozens of spam gold selling emails

something must be done
  • panzer88panzer88 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »

Yes please.
    Surprised no one else has suggested this or mentioned they get tons of spam. It didn't really help that the auction house is a great account mining tool for those losers. I get like 4 a day
  • alnakaralnakar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Seriously, who sends mail to someone who hasn't friended them anyway?

I definitely like this idea, but I'm not sure if it would have the desired effect. At this rate, 1 gold would buy 1000 messages, and since the spam is usually from people who are selling gold, it would definitely cut into their margins a bit, but I don't know if it would be enough to stop them. Perhaps something like setting postage to strangers at 1% of total gold, with a Minimum of 10 copper, and a Maximum of 5 silver?

The other thing is, if it becomes easier and more effective for them to send tells to players than to use the in-game mail, then they'll probably start doing that instead. I'd personally rather have a few annoying messages waiting for me at my mailbox, than be harassed while I'm playing. I think whatever measures are implemented for mail would also need to be implemented for tells, as well.
    bioshrike wrote: »

In some ways I really like this idea, and since it's optional, I'd be all for adding it in, whether I'd end up using it or not. I have actually occasionally appreciated the ability to both sent mail to and from strangers. I occasionally review new Foundry missions. If I'm unable to complete a mission, and thus can't leave a review, I'll sometimes send bug notes directly to the author via the in-game mail, to let them know what's going on with the mission. I guess there's nothing to stop them from adding a Foundry bug-reporting system to send a note directly to the author, so that I wouldn't have to use the mail. Really, not being able to contact a Foundry author wouldn't be the end of the world, either.

The thing with tells would apply here, as well, but it would be very easy to apply this to both tells and mail, so I don't really see that as a problem.

Edit:
    arcbladez wrote: »
    What kind of a stranger sends ingame mail to another stranger unless it's for a gold selling ad?

This kind!
    - LTS since shortly before the F2P announcement, and very happy about it.
  • necrodaggernecrodagger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    also regarding charging gold per email, doesnt the gold selling spam usually come from hacked accounts so they wont care about the cost?
  • keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd hesitate to completely block the ability to email other players in game. Give players the option to do so? Sure. But not by default.

Perhaps an exponential approach? In the IT field we use something called 'tarpitting', which is basically this. Every email request costs 'time', that the sending server must wait. In my earlier example it would be 10 copper. Sending one email to someone isn't a big deal, in either example. But what if it went up based on the number you sent?

Let's say you can send 5 emails a day to people who aren't in your friend's list free of charge? Past that it's 10 copper, then 20, then 40? 80? 160?

Spammers send out countless emails. They want their gold; they don't like gold sinks. So let's not go crazy one way or another here, or put down anyone's opinion just because it's not precisely the concept you like We're trying to suggest a reasonable compromise that protects the average gamer while completely <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over the spammers. Let's keep that in mind when posting.

Necrodagger: Hacked accounts don't matter. Gold is gold, and losing it loses it. That cuts into profits which is all spammers care about.
  • kejser91kejser91 Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2013

This guy 100% selling gold rofl..

Great idea btw! Bump
  • isilikisilik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd hesitate to completely block the ability to email other players in game. Give players the option to do so? Sure. But not by default.

Perhaps an exponential approach? In the IT field we use something called 'tarpitting', which is basically this. Every email request costs 'time', that the sending server must wait. In my earlier example it would be 10 copper. Sending one email to someone isn't a big deal, in either example. But what if it went up based on the number you sent?

Let's say you can send 5 emails a day to people who aren't in your friend's list free of charge? Past that it's 10 copper, then 20, then 40? 80? 160?

Spammers send out countless emails. They want their gold; they don't like gold sinks. So let's not go crazy one way or another here, or put down anyone's opinion just because it's not precisely the concept you like We're trying to suggest a reasonable compromise that protects the average gamer while completely <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over the spammers. Let's keep that in mind when posting.

Necrodagger: Hacked accounts don't matter. Gold is gold, and losing it loses it. That cuts into profits which is all spammers care about.

I like that idea, and it's true, a hacked account on a beta game is going to have it's worth, and emptying it will just go to another hacked account or get sold off to other players for profit. It'd be a waste of their finances to spend large chunks spamming mass amounts of mail if there was a price fee for bulk mailing.

Plenty of other games have basic in-game limitations to help prevent spam-mail. This is a beta, now's the time to do something about it, not go 'pfft, just ignore the player x 300' when legitimate players get hacked and can get their accounts recovered.
  • beringtomberingtom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    tickboxes! mail needs it!

a simple tickbox to allow different things?

Friends.
    Guildmembers.
    Guild (guildwide mail)
    everyone.
    From chars between (min) and (max).
    Everyone.
  • somnolence2somnolence2 Member Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    people are so naive... this is a f2p game how on earth is Zubbie DHsdhfhsdhf a hacked account?
    http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/ - because some times MMO's fail.
  • keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let's try to keep this thread focused on combating spam. The game needs a lot of things, but they're things we miss that are inconveniences. Spam is an active annoyance.
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    1. 10 copper per mail or something small would be fine.
    2. Yes, allow people to block everyone not on their friends list
    3. Yes, perhaps permit a few free emails a day and make the cost increase sharply (exponentially) after that

for #1 and #3, I little bit disagree, how about raising the level require for mail use, this game can reach 60 about 2 weeks by playing about 8 hours daily (my friend did that, no exploit, no dungeon, no skirmish, more importantly no AH just PvP and story quest only) so why not raise it to 20 or 25 rather than 10.
    for #2, I'm fully agree, may be add in the game options, like some MMO does have "always decline trade" option maybe here can have "always decline mail, other than system and friends" or something like that
  • fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hell, lets ask to be charged Zen while were at it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Hell, lets ask to be charged Zen while were at it.

Yes, that's clearly what we're suggesting. To charge people real money to send in-game emails. That's exactly the extreme everyone is supporting. You're very perceptive.

wjfCY89.jpg
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Separate note: Fee should ALSO include mail from self-account. Along with increased cost based on value of item being sent.

EDIT: rationale being that it'd be an exploit otherwise, since people could then use mail as an easy "alternate" shared bank.
  • gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kevinf08 wrote: »
    You have to be level 15 to send mail.

Report the spammers, they will get banned, and perhaps someday get bored of leveling to 15.

I would prefer no fee on mail for reasons i'm not willing to share :)

Bored? They use bots.
    edited May 2013
    yeah the spammers are bots, they use macros or something to send automated mails and chat messages

maybe put a flood limit on how many messages one person can send to someone not in his guild/friends list
  • diedel443diedel443 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    Separate note: Fee should ALSO include mail from self-account. Along with increased cost based on value of item being sent.

EDIT: rationale being that it'd be an exploit otherwise, since people could then use mail as an easy "alternate" shared bank.

Are you working for PWE or something ?
    edited May 2013
    diedel443 wrote: »
    Are you working for PWE or something ?

No. If I was working for PWE, I wouldn't need to post suggestions here. :p
    edited May 2013

oh ho .... using a seperate character as stash is "exploit"? then you must say that to all MMO around, cause most of them are have these
    "exploit"
    edited May 2013
    ranguren wrote: »
    oh ho .... using a seperate character as stash is "exploit"? then you must say that to all MMO around, cause most of them are have these
    "exploit"
    There's nothing wrong with using the characters as stash. The problem is using the MAIL as stash.

On a related note, they really should give players a shared bank stash, even if it's only 1-5 slots, specifically for using other characters as stash.
    edited May 2013
    There's nothing wrong with using the characters as stash. The problem is using the MAIL as stash.

On a related note, they really should give players a shared bank stash, even if it's only 1-5 slots, specifically for using other characters as stash.

okay my mistake. but probably, thats why it is. I mean no shared-bank but you can send mail to other char, for free, and no deadline either. because if they lock all: no shared stash, mail due by deadline or need money, it become an intension to force you to buy bag.really, I never try this before, but can player send mail to themself?
  • rezargamerrezargamer Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    Don't think a small fee would matter much.