test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How does the rogue teleport?

aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
How is it that the Trickster Rogue in the video seems to be able to teleport. She's a half-elf rogue. I play a half-elf rogue. I can forward roll, and I recently got a new combat feat (is it a feat or a skill) that allows me to teleport "behind" my opponent to strike from behind for a second, doing a big chunk of damage!

But I don't see where I get the ability to teleport any distances, or when out of combat. Again, in the video she seems to teleport when she's running across the battlefield toward her foe, then during combat, then again to escape; teleporting back across the battlefield.

Can anybody explain how the Trickster Rogue can teleport?

Thanks,
Aes
Post edited by aescleal on

Comments

• reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    its a video it has nothing to do with the actual gameplay the cosest thing to that effect is the thing that lets you extend stealth then you can run behind and lashing blade etc killing them fast and regaining your stealth meter for more of the simular thing
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Huh okay. Thanks for clearing that up then. A bit disappointing, but it's still so fun that it won't matter!

Cheers
  • darksxdarksx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    reilz1981 wrote: »
    its a video it has nothing to do with the actual gameplay the cosest thing to that effect is the thing that lets you extend stealth then you can run behind and lashing blade etc killing them fast and regaining your stealth meter for more of the simular thing

What? Do you even play a Rogue? Yes you can teleport, its called Deft Strike. You teleport behind the enemy and strike them. You also gain Combat Advantage from this too. one of the best tools to keep you behind the enemy.
    edited May 2013
    Deft Strike, that's the name of it. Yes I use that, although I'm just getting used to it, my rogue is level 10.

But I was wondering about OTHER teleport abilities, since the rogue in the Neverwinter video seems to be able to teleport across the field of battle, to both close in on & escape her enemy.

I think Reilz1981 read my post correct. But if there is more to the answer I'm very interested!
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too really loved the idea of playing a teleporting Rogue, but Deft Strike is the only real teleport, and aside from the coolness factor, it isn't all that great, especially not in PvE. I haven't slotted it in a while.

Overall, the Rogue in the video doesn't really represent the actual Trickster Rogue class. She only uses one dagger, and she can teleport in ways that the actual Rogue can't.
  • floredonfloredon Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you can teleport further using deft strike if you are stealthed.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    Overall, the Rogue in the video doesn't really represent the actual Trickster Rogue class. She only uses one dagger, and she can teleport in ways that the actual Rogue can't.

And she doesn't even use stealth. I wonder where the Guardian Fighter was hiding the whole time?
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    floredon wrote: »
    you can teleport further using deft strike if you are stealthed.

The distance also increases as it is leveled.
  • btwalczyk21btwalczyk21 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also, if you are stealthed and activated Deft Strike on a friendly unit you will appear behind them. It allows for much quicker travel in Protector's Enclave.

However, just randomly teleporting around the battlefield to open locations without an ally is something the TR lacks.

If used properly, Deft Strike, can act as a third "roll" for dodging. If the enemy has an arc AoE attack you can activate Deft Strike to appear behind them and gain some nice Combat Advantage damage while they finish their animation. I've even used it to dodge circular AoE's by either activating stealth and teleporting to a group member who was out of the damage circle or teleporting to another enemy out of the damage circle. It is a fun skill, regardless, to use once you get the hang of it.
  • eros1986eros1986 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cinematic and gameplay.

It's never the same thing.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My wizard cant shoot fireballs. Use a broken tower as a shield. And cant use a flaming sword thingy. The cinematic has lied to me and filled me with sad.
  • drizztstarkdrizztstark Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    And she doesn't even use stealth. I wonder where the Guardian Fighter was hiding the whole time?

He wasn't invited to the group. The rogue was tanking after all.
    Slaad - Tiefling Great Weapon Fighter
    edited May 2013
    Well these are all details I'm loving to hear. This sounds sort of like what she does in the cinematic anyway. Jumping from one place to the next to get closer, basically players can do this too from the sound of it, using other players or NPCs as anchors.

So, thanks for the info everyone. It's nice to know the mechanics are there if I want to master them.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aescleal wrote: »
    Well these are all details I'm loving to hear. This sounds sort of like what she does in the cinematic anyway. Jumping from one place to the next to get closer, basically players can do this too from the sound of it, using other players or NPCs as anchors.

Sadly the cooldown is way too high to do it like that. You have a daily power that teleports all over the place but you can't control it at all. Riftstalker (Rogue tank) from the RIFT MMO could probably emulate that video pretty well.
  • dezrethdezreth Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    I too really loved the idea of playing a teleporting Rogue, but Deft Strike is the only real teleport, and aside from the coolness factor, it isn't all that great, especially not in PvE. I haven't slotted it in a while.

Well technically, Bait and Switch is a short distance teleport as well, only you go backwards so it's for evading, not attacking.
  • alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    How is it that the Trickster Rogue in the video seems to be able to teleport. She's a half-elf rogue. I play a half-elf rogue. I can forward roll, and I recently got a new combat feat (is it a feat or a skill) that allows me to teleport "behind" my opponent to strike from behind for a second, doing a big chunk of damage!

But I don't see where I get the ability to teleport any distances, or when out of combat. Again, in the video she seems to teleport when she's running across the battlefield toward her foe, then during combat, then again to escape; teleporting back across the battlefield.

Thanks,
    Aes

that skill is usable and like 80' while stealthed and 60' not stealthed seems like a long distance to me.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »

He was back in the hold, trying to sell his cats by spamming channels.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    However, just randomly teleporting around the battlefield to open locations without an ally is something the TR lacks.

You should have seen the rogue during testing. I suppose there's no harm in stating Deft Strike was originally a Level 2 At-Will Power like it is in the Player's Handbook. Actually in the Class Preview it still lists the rogue having Deft Strike as an At-Will.
    Overpowered wasn't the right word for that non-sense hahaha!

I agree it would be nice if the rogue had an additional bit of movement, though.

The ability as which is shown in the CGI Trailer is, sadly, based more on the At Will Deft Strike which, while awesome and fun, was beyond overpowered.
  • bori4bori4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    darksx wrote: »
    What? Do you even play a Rogue? Yes you can teleport, its called Deft Strike. You teleport behind the enemy and strike them. You also gain Combat Advantage from this too. one of the best tools to keep you behind the enemy.

Deft Strike indeed. Although I prefer to think of it as super sneaky gymnastics as opposed to teleporting :D
    Bori - Renegade Drow - 40 Trickster Rogue - Mindflayer
    Elocin - Renegade Drow - 39 Devoted Cleric of Selune - Mindflayer

Looking for some Dust of Forum Troll Disappearance
    ? Sprinkle this on any troll to phase shift them out of your plane of existence. ;)

• wolfheartazwolfheartaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Thanks,
    Aes

Do me it is demonstrating the TR daily that lets you teleport all over the battlefield killing enemies..it looks just like that. (dont remember the name of the skill right now)

She even runs out of action points..LOL
  • btwalczyk21btwalczyk21 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You should have seen the rogue during testing. I suppose there's no harm in stating Deft Strike was originally a Level 2 At-Will Power like it is in the Player's Handbook. Actually in the Class Preview it still lists the rogue having Deft Strike as an At-Will.
    Overpowered wasn't the right word for that non-sense hahaha!

I agree it would be nice if the rogue had an additional bit of movement, though.

The ability as which is shown in the CGI Trailer is, sadly, based more on the At Will Deft Strike which, while awesome and fun, was beyond overpowered.

That would be INSANELY overpowered! I'm glad that was taken into account and transferred into the realm of encounter power.

I can only imagine seeing the already high number of TR (myself included) teleporting all over creation. It would be a sight, for sure.

Currently, I'm only level 20 so take this with a grain of salt, I feel that the rogue's mobility is just fine. With Bait and Switch, stealth, and Deft Strike I am more than able to maneuver quite easily. Not to mention we also get two rolls.

All in all I am loving the class.