test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Did you kill the Sleeper in EQ1? Or C'thun in Vanilla WoW?

2»

Comments

• beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I raided constantly and was in on a ton of first kills for our server but never killed the sleeper sadly.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    I remember killing Rallos Zek in Planes of Power and it took 72 people. I remember when you're leading a raid in Everquest .. you're literally commanding an army. It would be impossible nowadays to pull that off .. imagine the whining you'd have to deal with.
    edited May 2013
    I remember killing Rallos Zek in Planes of Power and it took 72 people. I remember when you're leading a raid in Everquest .. you're literally commanding an army. It would be impossible nowadays to pull that off .. imagine the whining you'd have to deal with.

somebody whined or didn't listen back then they got booted and never brought back. Raids in the beginning felt like a huge privilege to be a part of that army raiding stuff.
  • kinada350kinada350 Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    stadulator wrote: »
    I think pretty much everyone that raided in EQ1 killed the sleeper when they opened him up, Which was at least a year after the content released.

Started off as a one time kill per server.

Odd that you're looking for high end raiders in this game as it has no raiding and the "end game" is laughable

Almost no one killed the sleeper. He was not meant to be killed and the 200 some odd people on Rallos Zek that did it got a cloth cap for their troubles (though they are examples of why people raided, because they could)

As for the whole "year" garbage, again not even close. The first people that woke the sleeper did so on July 28, 2001 about 7 months from the expansions release and really what you need to consider is the time spent in zone, not all the time spent downing the rest of the raids of the expansion.
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    does being the only horde raid on proudmoore to have more than two wings cleared in nax 40 during vanilla count?

cause honestly c'thun wasn't that hard
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Compared to nowdays where raid bosses are defeated on the first day of relase in many games. People remember EQ as the glory days, but when they cant defeat new content handedly shortly after release, the complaining begins. The days of 3 people on each server having unique items are gone unfortunately.
  • stadulatorstadulator Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    kinada350 wrote: »
    Almost no one killed the sleeper. He was not meant to be killed and the 200 some odd people on Rallos Zek that did it got a cloth cap for their troubles (though they are examples of why people raided, because they could)

As for the whole "year" garbage, again not even close. The first people that woke the sleeper did so on July 28, 2001 about 7 months from the expansions release and really what you need to consider is the time spent in zone, not all the time spent downing the rest of the raids of the expansion.

lol alrighty then. 7 months = gold 12 months = garbage.. thanks for setting me straight bud.

and yes, he could be awakened and killed on every server, not just the one.
    edited May 2013
    chai23 wrote: »
    Compared to nowdays where raid bosses are defeated on the first day of relase in many games. People remember EQ as the glory days, but when they cant defeat new content handedly shortly after release, the complaining begins. The days of 3 people on each server having unique items are gone unfortunately.

it's very sad. back then there were goals that took you a year or more if you were even able to do it at all.
  • bbsoonerbbsooner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    Cthun was fun but my best memory of a boss kill was the first server azurgoes (sp?) In azshara (right zone?). We fought alliance for it for literally 6 hours and had about 8 people left alive when both the dragon and alliance raids went down. Epic.
  • teepussiteepussi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Had the pleasure to kill C'thun after it was nerfed slightly, so some world first guilds could clear it and pretty much straight after got to do it myself. Same with Naxxramas on vanilla, that raiding on vanilla & TBC was something i still look back as golden age of raiding. I still cant fathom why Blizzard dropped the ball and went 25 man. Also Vanilla WoW had some world bosses that i have not seen any game really duplicate. Those days really made you feel like accomplishing something, just to think first time Onyxia or Nefarion killed and head brought to town it was bringing whole faction community of the server i used to play together. Other guilds helping to guard us from alliance ganks, **** so much nostalgia, no games today bother to do anything so bold.
  • hatelorehatelore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stadulator wrote: »
    I think pretty much everyone that raided in EQ1 killed the sleeper when they opened him up, Which was at least a year after the content released.

Started off as a one time kill per server.

Odd that you're looking for high end raiders in this game as it has no raiding and the "end game" is laughable

Yeah...I don't think you have even the slightest idea of what you're talking about. The event where you woke him, was not a kill. You wake him up, and he kills everyone, and systematically visits each zone slaughtering everything on his way to Skyshrine.

http://www.albrandes.com/skden/articles/sleeper.asp

Plenty of information available in that link.