test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Shill Bidding at the AH permissible, or considered an exploit?

lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Note: This is NOT about the legality of shill bidding, nor about the legality of shill bidding in specific parts of the world, as Neverwinter is a closed community and which does not use RL currencies in their AH.

This is just a simple question, which presumably have a simple yes/no answer. This is in relation to some individuals who has mentioned that they have friends bidding up the prices in AH, but is in no way accusing them of wrongdoing, as there is no answer at this time of whether shill bidding is allowed in the AH of Neverwinter.

I do not expect any individuals being named here, nor do I expect people arguing about the legality or morality of shill bidding, until we have a clear answer of whether it is permissible in Neverwinter.
Post edited by lyokira on

Comments

• allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    FTR it is shill bidding.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    FTR it is shill bidding.

Thanks, fixed error. Also, the spellcheck in my browser obviously needs updating.
  • alpha1protocolalpha1protocol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 84
    edited May 2013
    Krill are too small to bread, but if you have enough of them to form a ball, be sure to add cornmeal to your batter. This will add a distinct crunch. In this case Krill breading is undoubtedly acceptable.
  • maximiliousmaximilious Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I suggest you submit a ticket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    I suggest you submit a ticket.

This isn't reporting an exploit, I see no reason why it can't be answered here. It's something even the moderators can probably answer. No point spamming that other line, which is better suited to dealing with the many other issues they have currently.
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    This isn't reporting an exploit, I see no reason why it can't be answered here. It's something even the moderators can probably answer. No point spamming that other line, which is better suited to dealing with the many other issues they have currently.

moderators cannot answer what they do not know, since they do not work for the company.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    moderators cannot answer what they do not know, since they do not work for the company.

I have no idea where you got the idea that they do not work for the company; Regardless of whether they are paid or not, they are providing services for the company. And I would presume that they should know what is and is not an exploit, after all, it makes it hard to block posts on exploits, if they don't know what counts as one.
    edited May 2013
    I have no idea where you got the idea that they do not work for the company; Regardless of whether they are paid or not, they are providing services for the company. And I would presume that they should know what is and is not an exploit, after all, it makes it hard to block posts on exploits, if they don't know what counts as one.

They know as much as we do, since it's all right here:

http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

if you're too lazy to read through all that don't expect someone else to come and do it for you. You should still try and discuss this with customer service.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • somnolence2somnolence2 Member Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    Actually placing the item at 1 ad to avoid fee's is a exploit as it wasn't intended to be used as a work around to not pay and one thing we've been educated on exploits about ... is anything you do to get ahead of other players playing correctly is infact an exploit... max should be banned honestly for 72 hours.
    http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/ - because some times MMO's fail.
    edited May 2013
    Actually placing the item at 1 ad to avoid fee's is a exploit as it wasn't intended to be used as a work around to not play and one thing we've been educated on exploits about ... is anything you do to get ahead of other players playing correctly is infact an exploit... max should be banned honestly for 72 hours.
    What you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Placing an item for the bid of 1 is exploiting now...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Actually placing the item at 1 ad to avoid fee's is a exploit as it wasn't intended to be used as a work around to not pay and one thing we've been educated on exploits about ... is anything you do to get ahead of other players playing correctly is infact an exploit... max should be banned honestly for 72 hours.
    The fee isn't exactly avoided. Assuming no one takes on the offer after the shill bidding, the bidding group would lose 10% of the final bid anyway.
    They know as much as we do, since it's all right here:

http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

if you're too lazy to read through all that don't expect someone else to come and do it for you. You should still try and discuss this with customer service.
    I have read through, and it states that exploits are not allowed. It does not state what actions counts as exploits.
    edited May 2013
    The fee isn't exactly avoided. Assuming no one takes on the offer after the shill bidding, the bidding group would lose 10% of the final bid anyway.

I have read through, and it states that exploits are not allowed. It does not state what actions counts as exploits.

Good, we are on the same page then let me know when they respond to your ticket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    placing the item at 1 ad to avoid fee's is a exploit as it wasn't intended to be used as a work around

The funny thing is there is a thread not too long ago about a guy complaining that his auction that he placed at 1AD got sold during downtime, and he put buyout at 1 mil. I laugh when this stuff happens, just like i laughed when people used the neutral AH in WoW to transfer but then people bought their stuff they priced low. It's a risk you take.
  • snugglemancersnugglemancer Member Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    The funny thing is there is a thread not too long ago about a guy complaining that his auction that he placed at 1AD got sold during downtime, and he put buyout at 1 mil. I laugh when this stuff happens, just like i laughed when people used the neutral AH in WoW to transfer but then people bought their stuff they priced low. It's a risk you take.
    It's the same guy.
    edited May 2013
    It's the same guy.
    That is vague and would require clarification, but again, I'm not pointing any fingers, just making a note that the "same guy" isn't me.
  • eidamaeidama Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That is vague and would require clarification, but again, I'm not pointing any fingers, just making a note that the "same guy" isn't me.

I would suggest that you MAXimize your clarification.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

> http://mopp4.net/ <
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What if I name myself and say something shameful about me?
    edited May 2013
    tarmalen wrote: »
    What if I name myself and say something shameful about me?

Probably get a suspension.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Can I put in a ticket?
    edited May 2013
    On hindsight, I suppose I could resolve this once and for all by posting a step-by-step guide on how to perform a shill bid: if it is indeed an exploit, the post would most certainly be removed.
  • runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yeah it is, unfortunately. Two different fees. They obviously have to pay the percent of the sale. But by placing the mid bid as 1 they avoid paying the posting fee. This lets them place a min bid of 1 and still avoid most of the risk.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Its not an exploit ,its a common practice on any common auction, specially the went out of business auctions, those have people on the inside biding on items just enough to make the item profit, it would be a exploit (maybe), if u make mule accounts with the sole purpose of getting your auction price up or i dont know if it is posible to use alts to bid on your own items.
    Overall you shouldnt worry, for that practice to be considered exploit you would need to have a monopoly on item/s since you would be able to either lower or increase the price at your wish.
  • eidamaeidama Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Shill Bidding might be covered here (TOS http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms), depending on your interpretation.

Shill - Slang, a confidence trickster's assistant, esp a person who poses as an ordinary customer, gambler, etc., in order to entice others to participate. Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Shill+bidding

Defraud - to use deceit, falsehoods, or trickery to obtain money, an object, rights or anything of value belonging to another. Source: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/defraud

See highlighted items:

10. User Conduct

You must observe these Terms, all Rules of Conduct, all applicable laws and all basic rules of etiquette and common courtesy when using the Website and the Service. Any conduct that violates the law in an offline, real world community is also a violation of these terms. PWE will not tolerate any illegal or offensive conduct.
    Without limiting the foregoing, in addition to the User Content rules set forth in Section 10 above, you agree not to take any of the following actions:
    (a) Harm minors in any way;
    (b) Impersonate any person or entity, including any PWE officials, forum leaders, guides, hosts, employees or agents, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
    (c) Forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any message transmitted through the Website;
    (d) Upload, post, e-mail, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes", or any other form of solicitation;
    (e) Interfere with or disrupt the Service, the Website or servers or networks connected to the Website, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Website;
    (f) "Stalk," threaten or otherwise harass or cause discomfort to another;
    (g) Collect, store, post or otherwise disseminate any personal data about other users;
    (h) Impede or disrupt the Service or the normal flow of game play or dialogue in the game or in Interactive Areas on the Site or use vulgar language, abusiveness, use of excessive shouting (ALL CAPS) "spamming" or any other disruptive or detrimental methods in an attempt to disturb other users or PWE employees;
    (i) Engage in, encourage, or promote any illegal activity, or any activity that violates these Terms or the Rules of Conduct;
    (j) Engage in any actions that defraud or attempt to defraud, scam or cheat others out of any items that have been earned through authorized game play;
    (k) Cheat or utilize unauthorized exploits in connection with the Games or the Service;
    (l) Using or exploiting any bugs, errors, or design flaws to obtain unauthorized access to the Service or to gain an unfair advantage over other players,
    (m) trade, sell, auction or otherwise transfer any virtual items or goods of any nature outside the game; and/or
    (n) Take any action that disrupts the Service or that negatively affects or may prohibit other users from enjoying the Website, the Games or any other aspect of the Service.
    PWE may take any actions and impose any penalties we deem necessary to discourage and punish any violation of these terms or any other illegal or inappropriate conduct, all without prior notice or warning. The determination as to whether a violation has occurred and who is responsible for such act is solely within PWE's discretion, and is based on what we deem best for the community and the Website. By using the Website, you agree you will be bound by PWE's determination as to whether a violation has occurred and any penalty we choose to implement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

> http://mopp4.net/ <