test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

my first quest + a few questions

tenshi36tenshi36 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
My first published quest: "Gathering Shadows" (NW-DTF7JKSFZ) please give it a try.

It's pretty simple atm, as I'm still learning just what the Foundry can do (which is an impressive bit I think)

I'm still looking for that sweet spot when it comes to encounters. I play an aoe mad gwf, so when I see a bunch of orcs at once its like "oh fun" but others are probably like "ugh wtf"

Also, after putting it together, I'm left with a few questions.

-is it possible to make undead encounters crawl out of the ground? i tried using the feign death behavior, but its not that

-is it possible to link maps together without using the 'map transitions' on the questline tree? you can turn anything into a door with that, but cant turn a single thing into a door without it?

-is it possible to make destroy-able details that spawn encounters?

-is there any way to add treasure chests or profession things? it would be nice to be able to give players a reason to explore a bit without having to make the quest drag them all over.

-is there any way to make encounters hostile to each other? theres a point on my map where a big group of orcs are confronting some shadarkai, and right now it just looks like they're threatening each other until they see the player. then they all just attack the pc =P the plan was to have the player come onto a battle between them, but i couldn't figure it out.

seems like i had more, but can't think of them at the moment
Post edited by tenshi36 on

Comments

• lunchtimenowlunchtimenow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    tenshi36 wrote: »
    -is it possible to make undead encounters crawl out of the ground? i tried using the feign death behavior, but its not that

Yes, by spawning them in response to an event. That is, if the player moves over a region, make encounter visible.
    -is it possible to link maps together without using the 'map transitions' on the questline tree? you can turn anything into a door with that, but cant turn a single thing into a door without it?

No, not on the 'Questline Tree.' You can create indoor maps using varying tile sets and connect them with invisible teleporter.
    -is it possible to make destroy-able details that spawn encounters?

Yes, this is complex, I will give you the bread crumbs. I only know how to do it via the questline w/ map. Place a detail, say a crate, that is your intractable. Make it a Questline event 'interaction' using the crate, set the visibility to disable on completion of quest. Create an FX detail like 'exploding crystal' (something like that) on top of or infront of the crate, this is your response to the interaction. Change the visibility of the FX to be on completion of the interact quest. Then create your encounter which also spawns in response to the interaction with your crate. That is, in the encounter's properties set the visibility to enable when the interaction quest completes.

-is there any way to add treasure chests or profession things? it would be nice to be able to give players a reason to explore a bit without having to make the quest drag them all over.

Nope, and we all agree.
    -is there any way to make encounters hostile to each other? theres a point on my map where a big group of orcs are confronting some shadarkai, and right now it just looks like they're threatening each other until they see the player. then they all just attack the pc =P the plan was to have the player come onto a battle between them, but i couldn't figure it out.

Yes and no, make one group an normal encounter. Make the second group a Guard encounter. Reskin or re-costume the Guard encounter to look like what you want using the Costume option in the Guard ecounter's properties.

EDIT: Yes and No. One group will be considered friendly.

I hope this helps :D
    Y9KrNPv.jpg4MEPTcf.jpg
    NW-DSEGBOHCC & NW-DKSTDEHFF @lunchtimenow
  • zogvarnokazogvarnoka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    1. Not sure. I've seen something similar in a couple quest, but not looked into it.

2. You can use teleporters to link areas of a map together. but the travel is 2-way so put the receiving end out of reach of the player if you don't want them to go back.

3. you can fake it with some of the explosion effects and setting the disappear function to either a character interacting/talking to something or reaching a certain place (place marker).

4. nope, not possible.

5. Setting faction is not possible right now. But you might be able to fake it using guard encounters and changing the costume. That is if you want one of the factions friendly to the player.
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
    My first installment in the Rise of Shadovar Campaign.
  • tenshi36tenshi36 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very helpful, thank you both. :)

With the destroy-able items, that only would work with the "press f to" interactions, right? What about say, bashing a gateway until it breaks? I seem to remember doing that with crystals or something in a vanilla quest.

& also, with the teleporters, that just works within the same map though, right? For example, my quest mostly takes place on the preset map that's like the tower district. There's teleporters that zoom the player to other places on that map, but could I make say a door into a mine that is a totally different map without using a map transition that would make the quest point to it?
  • zogvarnokazogvarnoka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    1. No you can have the items be "destroyed" using place markers as the trigger and using smoke and mirrors. Set the appear when/disappear when to the place marker as the "component reached". BAM!! Now you have a an item that seemingly blows up when the player reaches a certain area. Or you could set the trigger to be when a certain group of mobs gets killed, dialogue prompt reached, etc.

2. Yes it only works within the same map. To change maps you would actually have to use a transition on the story board.
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
    My first installment in the Rise of Shadovar Campaign.
  • lunchtimenowlunchtimenow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    With the destroy-able items, that only would work with the "press f to" interactions, right? What about say, bashing a gateway until it breaks? I seem to remember doing that with crystals or something in a vanilla quest.

You can, by just adding more 'destory-ables' in front of it. ie, you break one, break two, break three and on breaking three you create the explosion. The two destructibles before the third are there to add 'bashes'
    [...]with the teleporters, that just works within the same map though, right? For example, my quest mostly takes place on the preset map that's like the tower district. There's teleporters that zoom the player to other places on that map, but could I make say a door into a mine that is a totally different map without using a map transition that would make the quest point to it?

Correct. A transition is required for going from Outdoors to Indoors and vice versa. You could try creating a cave tiled area in an indoor map that looks like the outside world via lighting/details (would take a ton of work, but I think its do-able) and then use teleporters. However, the time spent constructing the outdoor/indoor map would not be worth the work either way you go about it.
    Y9KrNPv.jpg4MEPTcf.jpg
  • tenshi36tenshi36 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thanks for the quick answers guys =)
    edited May 2013
    Lucky down time :)
    Y9KrNPv.jpg4MEPTcf.jpg