test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

People still selling cats

Comments

• therumancer23therumancer23 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think these threads miss a central point in the problem.

The Cat was so expensive because it's a very powerful item, an equivilent to the Ioun Stone put into the game for ADs in keeping with the game philsophy that if you play a lot you can get stuff similar to what can be bought for money, ensuring the game isn't truely "pay to win", cash largely becomes a way of speeding things up. At 24k diamonds refined a day in 40 days of constant play you could obtain a cat, which is equivilent to a $20 cash shop item.

For those who don't know the Cat/Ioun Stone are AUGEMENT companions, what they do is add their stats directly onto those of the user instead of attacking and using their own abillities. This is needless to say incredibly powerful, especially seeing as most of the pets are pretty weak, especially at high level play. Your basically looking at being able to wear 3 extra pieces of jewelery and gain the benefits of three companion runes, plus the stats the companion gains in leveling up. Compunded with the gear a character already wears this can get pretty crazy at the moment, especially seeing as companions can use items that might be banned to a specific character class. Being able to say equip an Icon with a Thief or Mage when it's usually Cleric only, likewise a cleric only ring could be used by a mage by putting it onto their companion. Then of course your bound to enchant that gear at the high levels and yeah...

At any rate, the problem with "Cats for all" is that rather than becoming a pretty substantial advantage for someone who has put in a lot of time (or donated money to the game) it will need to be assumed that everyone has an augement pet at all times from this point on. Meaning that content will need to be balanced that way, and of course regular pets are going to become increasingly shunned. Not to mention that in a game where ninja looting is already a problem, Augement pets being in everyone's possesion raises questions about who should rightfully be able to claim what. After all your pet is basically acting as a universal equipment slot, which is the same as wearing the stuff yourself, if some fighter rolls on a mage ring or whatever, one can't argue he cannot use the item since he could always equip it via a cat or stone....

Now truthfully I can see some wisdom to giving everyone an augement item to even things out, indeed my suggestion was an Ioun Stone that looks like a floating Astral Diamond (awarded in the spirit of "Doctor Newbton" from Champions Online), however that's going to come with it's own set of issues. Really, the more I think about it, the more I think they might just want to wipe all cats frohe game at this point. The huge advantage they give is exactly why they were what everyone using the exploit grabbed and was able to exchange.

As a side note, I do think they need to buff the effectiveness of companions at higher levels to make them more on par with what you get from an augement. In general having a level 30 Panther attacking stuff for you doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good as having a level 25 Augement adding it's benefits to your own attacks (all the extra gear slots, etc..). Especially in endgame dungeons where pets, which are too stupid to dodge, have a tendency to get pwned by overlapping enemies that literally fill the floor in some places with red. Your augement pet (Cat, Stone, etc...) doesn't seem to be killable.
  • erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fongador wrote: »
    I don't see how they could hold the buyer responsible really.That isn't to say they won't but honestly would be pretty dumb if they did. Not everyone is even aware of what happened and what the whole "cat thing" could imply not to mention it isn't like the buyer could know for sure if the seller purchased it in a legit manner or exploited.

While I basically agree that you cannot hold the non-cheaters responsible for interacting with cheaters (especially if all they did was post stuff at auction that some cheater bought) it is not uncommon for people that buy stolen goods to have to return the goods and never get their money back. If you bought a cat from an exploiter the confiscation of the cat is a good lesson to not buy things that sound too good to be true. That $100 Rolex is either not a real Rolex or is stolen. Either way, it is best to avoid it.
  • realpureshadowrealpureshadow Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    i think they should just give everyone cats in the mail. that would make cats selling pointless.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    7 hr rollback was an insult to intelligent gamers . While every lemur out there was like "derp, dey did sum bayunz yallz" ..

Pretty much, it's sad to hear in zone chat, people praising them, or just being completely clueless to the whole situation. =/
  • lieolieo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    sure there still selling cats and any other ill gotten goods but now its for gold? boggle. Plus if some one wants too sell you a cat right now you should definatly buy it because the exploite is long gone and fixed
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    Pretty much, it's sad to hear in zone chat, people praising them, or just being completely clueless to the whole situation. =/

But if you look at the sheer amount of folks who are praising them in Zone chat it kinda makes the straw poll that was taken on the forums irrelevant , meaning a full wipe would send this game into a death spin.
    /sigh...Yeah, yeah I know everyone but the pro-wipers are idiots. :rolleyes:
    lieo wrote: »
    sure there still selling cats and any other ill gotten goods but now its for gold? boggle. Plus if some one wants too sell you a cat right now you should definatly buy it because the exploite is long gone and fixed

just spent the last 20 mins on Dragon asking to pay top gold for one single cat....no takers.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • qualexiousqualexious Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    Make cats and most vendor items Bind on pick up

nuff said

Noooo... I hate BOP, it's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ... Thanks WoW for ruining MMOs.
  • lieolieo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    But if you look at the sheer amount of folks who are praising them in Zone chat it kinda makes the straw poll that was taken on the forums irrelevant , meaning a full wipe would send this game into a death spin.

just spent the last 20 mins on Dragon asking to pay top gold for one single cat....no takers.

you sure your not just playing the game for free?
    edited May 2013
    i think they should just give everyone cats in the mail. that would make cats selling pointless.

But, it would also make cats pointless...
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They already made the game pointless, why not cats ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • cho83cho83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you can actually sell a cat in this game ? Why is that so big of a deal ? ....Sry I just joined the game ....really don't understand the cat thing ;O
    edited May 2013
    They already made the game pointless, why not cats ?

Well played sir.
    edited May 2013
    cho83 wrote: »
    you can actually sell a cat in this game ? Why is that so big of a deal ? ....Sry I just joined the game ....really don't understand the cat thing ;O

go away and level if it suprises you so much you can sell anything in a fantasy game
  • clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The selling of cats is a big deal right now because that is where many of the exploiters have stashed their ill gotten loot. Along with other high value items .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • allanastarallanastar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Im still selling P U S S Y

to mean cats.
  • cho83cho83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lieo wrote: »
    go away and level if it surprises you so much you can sell anything in a fantasy game

Then I am asking my self why are most of u acting like it's the real thing ? ^^

PS: I corrected "surprises" in your quote sorry man ;S
    edited May 2013
    allanastar wrote: »
    Im still selling P U S S Y

to mean cats.
    Pimp dat. ish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The selling of cats is a big deal right now because that is where many of the exploiters have stashed their ill gotten loot. Along with other high value items .

Except no one is selling cats. It's trolling.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    qualexious wrote: »
    Noooo... I hate BOP, it's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ... Thanks WoW for ruining MMOs.

Yeah because WoW invented BoP.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
    edited May 2013

Because they have absolutely no idea what's going on.
    edited May 2013
    I remember back in '08 a ton of people were praising the government for bailing out the banks...How did that work out in the long run ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I remember back in '08 a ton of people were praising the government for bailing out the banks...How did that work out in the long run ?

The economy is fine. It's been fine. Astral diamonds are not worthless. There isn't a massive over inflation on items prior to the catastrophe day. Everything is fine. Has been fine and the economy hasn't crashed it. The servers were rolled back before the big exodus. Anyone who believes the economy is "destroyed." is both delusional and wrong. I have challenged people over and over without a response. Name 10 common items that are ridiculously over inflated. Go on. Because prior to the cat day even the best armor/items in the game can be gained even by casual players.

So why is there a need for a wipe?
    edited May 2013

Were there people besides bankers praising the bailout?
    edited May 2013
    gaerolth wrote: »
    The economy is fine. It's been fine. Astral diamonds are not worthless. There isn't a massive over inflation on items prior to the catastrophe day. Everything is fine. Has been fine and the economy hasn't crashed it. The servers were rolled back before the big exodus. Anyone who believes the economy is "destroyed." is both delusional and wrong. I have challenged people over and over without a response. Name 10 common items that are ridiculously over inflated. Go on. Because prior to the cat day even the best armor/items in the game can be gained even by casual players.

You should get into politics.
    edited May 2013

Lesser weapon enhancements have all shot up from ~15k to ~150k

There are more then 10 of those but I admit your insistence that the items be common is a bit confusing. There are no common items in NW worth paying for at all besides **** from the consumable vendors.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    Because they have absolutely no idea what's going on.

Right so it's this covert cat selling cult that only the cool kids know about?

Wow...and folks call me conspiracy minded.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • pappy43pappy43 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    (double facepalm) ........uy, lolz
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Does this look infected to you?"
  • pappy43pappy43 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    3 days at least all i've seen is cats, wipe, bans, rollback, FAIRIES!!!.....it's enough to make you wana find another species to live with sometimes ^^. Anyway, have fun with the rumor mill. I haven't even been able to get the launcher running again, since the big "fix".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Does this look infected to you?"
    edited May 2013

The need for a wipe exists because everyone who has been around knows how these kind of guys work.By now they have muled AD and items away on so many accounts,using VPN and proxy connections that Cryptic is down right insulting us by saying they can track them down.

Players can buy T2 epics thus rendering the gearing cycle useless. Items that should be hard to obtain are handed out or sell for very cheap.

Furthermore the level of this exploit means that the billions in AD stashed will be used to bully the economic of the game well into launch. Game and game again, they move in, set up and a bit after launch they will open the gates.

Looking at this issue from a info sec perspective leave nothing but doubt in Cryptic's ability to contain this with anything short of a wipe.

If I am wrong, I will actually come back and say I was wrong...I am that kind of person, but when I am right, and I will be, I'll be back also..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • swell1swell1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Don't forget about all of the gear looted from the GF exploit.That coupled with the Billions in AD has lent to an insane markup on everything; which anyone who watches the AH could see...though only a small fraction could afford. This has also contributed to heavily enchanted PvP God squading and Twinks, which again, makes life for a legit player, really frustrating.

Edit* and what she said ^