test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• ajh101ajh101 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you do know that there is no wipe when the game goes live right

Seriously ??? If thats the case then I stand corrected and will "Get my coat" !!

I'm used to Beta being... erm Beta !, but if no wipe then I'll join the list of haters ! lol
  • damianessdamianess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 283 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Not likely that the image you just shared is post rollback. Notice the four celestial coins? CCs were lost after rollback.

Also you can use a program to change the values on your machine to 1 billion AD, doesn't mean it's on server side as well.
  • rubberduckie3rubberduckie3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
    ajh101 wrote: »
    Seriously ??? If thats the case then I stand corrected and will "Get my coat" !!

I'm used to Beta being... erm Beta !, but if no wipe then I'll join the list of haters ! lol

if there was a wipe after the so called "Beta" i dont think there would be so many angry people but as of now i can see why so many people are mad
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So, part of the fix was supposed to be removing all the illgotten cats. Why is it that there are hundreds that have been hawked all day in chat on Mindflayer. I was skeptical of this small a correction with such a FUBARed economy. In-game situation indicates that MUCH more action is needed.
  • baddobb1baddobb1 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You will dig through, to find common questions and answer them here.

So I hope this has been asked loads of times already then.

Why won't you create a new server for people to roll onto and when you merge the other servers, not include the new one, so players actually have a choice, rather than being forced into something.
  • vmlinuxvmlinux Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone know when the AH ETA is? My bags are full, and I would like to purchase a pet, but I can't without making a small exchange.
  • daowacedaowace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • suiksagasuiksaga Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As it stand I will not be playing this game or any cryptic game from this point on, mind you I was really into the sto for what it was worth. But time and time again this company has shown especially after being acquired from PWE that they lack integrity and the balls to do what is right. I am happy I didn't spend money or much time in neverwinter, but I sadly put way too much time in STO and even money so I can understand the anger and frustration. Shame that the devs which I can sympathize with them as human being for the stress that is going on with the current bug one of many that have blown up in their face since the open beta. But I have to wonder if someone or several people on their end just didn't want this bug fix or many others out there that are still being exploited or ones that forced the servers down to be fix earlier this week and last week. Mind you this same bug plagued STO several months ago and it hurt that game economy as well even to this day.

Defend Cryptic if you want but I have no love for company that won't do the right thing and only thinks about short term loss or gain when it comes to making money instead of doing either through a complete wipe or time consuming search thoroughly in logs to clear out all mules and exploiters and such before continuing this fiasco of a game or more to the point economy or lack there of. I feel the people that have lost so much and doing a wipe would be just as painful but I can never in my right mind play a game where the economy is forever inflated thanks to cheaters and the companies unwillingness to look into reports and fix very game breaking bugs like this one. I love to see this game succeed but like other shady game companies the management of this game has to be questioned. Not to say wiping wouldn't drive people away but at lease then people would feel like they were playing a game that was being manipulated due to bugs or cheaters.
  • jukejointjezebeljukejointjezebel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lordbane40 wrote: »
    You're wrong. All of mine were present on all my toons. One had a warning that I needed to invocate in about 12 minutes or I'd lose them.
    solyad1 wrote: »
    Not exactly true, I still have 5/7 Celestial coins for some reason.

In that case, that's somewhat more irritating. o_O; Hit or miss loss of coins. I had 6 on my rogue, 5 on my CW, and all were gone when I logged in. >_<
    300wc45.jpgfa0uv6.jpg
  • xxxxlegolasxxxxxxxxlegolasxxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    baddobb1 wrote: »
    You will dig through, to find common questions and answer them here.

So I hope this has been asked loads of times already then.

Why won't you create a new server for people to roll onto and when you merge the other servers, not include the new one, so players actually have a choice, rather than being forced into something.

Because that is a support nightmare; im down for an item/currency wipe, but if i have to relevel, its on to the next game - id be happy logging in naked with 5 gold for vendor gear.

This game is fun, but im already on the fence from losing my sunday progress over an issue that existed in STO.

Character wipe will lose them way more players, than they can afford; i am sure that many, like myself, invested money, and more importantly, time under the stipulation that there would be no character wipes.
  • manathayriamanathayria Member Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Gotta be honest with you, Gropey. They'd lose a whole lot of honest and "law abiding" players if they did a total wipe. Just from my side of the fence every player I run with, all of us 35 years of age + have seriously stated it'd be game over for them if a total wipe occurred. I'd keep playing, but everyone else I run with are clear that they would not. No nerd rage, just stated plain and simple. I think a lot of other players feel the same.

Exactly.

I would be gone if they did a full wipe at this point.

I usually do not choose to post on the forums and avoid them, however, recent events caused me to finally speak up. I've invested a lot of time and energy into the game since it released to open beta, I took the commentary of 'no more wipes' at face value. I expect that to be honored.

I understand that the rollback may have been needed, certain people should have their accounts permanently banned for the exploits. I'd hope they're tracing where those banned accounts have made trades as well to track other people that are guilty (by more than association).

I do believe we should be given something in compensation specific for the invocations - as far as the celestial coins I believe two things should be done. First, I'd like to see everyone awarded with one of the caches gotten for 7/7 coins - OR the 5/5 coin profession pack. Create it as a quest or something so players have a choice between the two (a quest that will only be awarded if the account/character existed prior to the 20th).

Second, please freeze the timer on the celestial coins when there will be -any- down time for the game, preferably reset the timer to 24hrs and award a coin. My reasoning for this is simple - the refresh and new coin awarded would give us something for the down time when it is on short or no notice and for it being so frequent. It would give us a grace period that would keep us from 'losing' anything in game that we may otherwise have progressed on. Doing something similar with ardent coins would be appreciated but obviously is not as needed given that we lose none if we miss invoking within a certain period.

If your coins are missing from the roll back - you likely invoked during the time that was rolled back and refreshing the celestial coins didn't count because of that.

TL;DR: Pause or refresh celestial coins when people log in after maintenance regardless of how long it takes them to log in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /Channel_Join NW_Legit_Community to run Dungeons without the exploits
  • bozsebozse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's BETA !!!!

Firstly - Well done Dev's for sorting!

If some of you are STUPID enough to pay real money for Zen in BETA.. Well, other than a Disclaimer maybe required to point out the S word above, serves you right..

I can't wait for the torrent of abuse aimed at Dev's when game goes live ! OMG, You mean I have to start again (sob).

WTF ppl.. I hope all the haters do leave.. Let's call it "Natural Selection" :D

Irony overload...
  • wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Q: What happened?

A: Early Sunday morning a very small group of players discovered and abused a game exploit within the Neverwinter Open Beta that affected the Auction House and Astral Diamonds.

Say, I know that this FAQ says that all this happened starting 'early sunday morning'... but in other places, it's sounds like it's something that had been going on for quite a bit longer than Early Sunday morning... some sources indicate that this was a Glitch that was reported back in closed beta even...

I suppose that I 'could read' the hundreds of posts before this one, but figured, their might be some one willing to just get me up to speed instead... is that right though? that this exploit had been being used for a long time? or, is it like the Q and A said, that it was something just discovered and used on Sunday may 19th?

Thanks.
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bozsebozse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wesgar wrote: »
    Say, I know that this FAQ says that all this happened starting 'early sunday morning'... but in other places, it's sounds like it's something that had been going on for quite a bit longer than Early Sunday morning... some sources indicate that this was a Glitch that was reported back in closed beta even...

I suppose that I 'could read' the hundreds of posts before this one, but figured, their might be some one willing to just get me up to speed instead... is that right though? that this exploit had been being used for a long time? or, is it like the Q and A said, that it was something just discovered and used on Sunday may 19th?

Thanks.

It's been around since launch but was made "public" 2-3 days ago and was heavily abused for the last 12-16 hours before they took the servers down.
  • dngrmse1dngrmse1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ashkedawn wrote: »
    there are guilds out there where everyone received cats and mounts. those are not going to be touched by the rollback or by the company...they get to keep them

You don't know that. In all likelihood, PW is continuing their investigations, and additional action against mule accounts, and friends is still on the table.

A complete wipe would have punished the 99% of players that did nothing wrong....it was the wrong way to go, I'm glad that PW did not go that route. Punish the guilty, not the innocent.
  • wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bozse wrote: »
    It's been around since launch but was made "public" 2-3 days ago and was heavily abused for the last 12-16 hours before they took the servers down.

Thanks Bozse.

well, then looks like the short 'roll back' is the way to go on this one. I noticed a few people suggesting a 'total wipe' but that would be a deal breaker for me - I'd be outta here were that to happen, and I'm a HUGE supporter financially and time wise, I love the game, but with more than 200 hours played on my main, and much more $$'s than I really want to publicly admit.

I'd definitely walk away were we to roll it all back to vanilla. I wouldn't 'rage' really, probably wouldn't even post much, just sigh and move on to the next shinny thing out there.

that said, I really don't think a 'wipe' is even on the plate at the 'developer' level -so I'm not worried, and look forward to months if not years of continuing support of this awesome game.
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dngrmse1dngrmse1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bmgropey wrote: »
    Most players want a wipe...cyptic/pwe is scared of doing what's right and instead I'm sure they're basically just going to hop to gloss this over and move onto their next MMO, NEVER EVER GIVE THIS COMPANY ANOTHER DIME! EVER EVER EVER!

Oh please. Stop with the hyperventilating. You have no idea what most players want. At least be honest....this is what you want.
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I thought this was a FAQ thread I asked 2 questions and no answer, I'll ask another one, 3rd time being the charm, will this FAQ ever be updated?
  • deadalondeadalon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wesgar wrote: »
    Q: What happened?

A: Early Sunday morning a very small group of players discovered and abused a game exploit within the Neverwinter Open Beta that affected the Auction House and Astral Diamonds.

Thanks.

The 7 hour rollback was just a PR to make it look like they are doing something. And it hurt the normal honest players more than anything.

What we do know is that it seems like Cryptic team has just gone on holliday since the game went open beta cause the issues are not being fixed at all. Reports after reports after reports of game breaking issues and nothing... other than new companion in store.

Where is the upgrading companion tokens btw?....
  • solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's BETA !!!!

Firstly - Well done Dev's for sorting!

If some of you are STUPID enough to pay real money for Zen in BETA.. Well, other than a Disclaimer maybe required to point out the S word above, serves you right..

I can't wait for the torrent of abuse aimed at Dev's when game goes live ! OMG, You mean I have to start again (sob).

WTF ppl.. I hope all the haters do leave.. Let's call it "Natural Selection" :D

Uhmm there won't be any "start[ing] again" unless you choose to reroll because it's not a beta anymore. There won't be anymore character wipes because they are accepting real money transactions so they can't just alt-ctl-dlt your characters if you've paid for stuff in-game.
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In that case, that's somewhat more irritating. o_O; Hit or miss loss of coins. I had 6 on my rogue, 5 on my CW, and all were gone when I logged in. >_<

What almost certainly happened was:

You logged in around 24 hours after you last invoked and reset your timer.

That was in the period that was rolled back. The servers came back up and it was too long after that when you came back in so the total game time elapsed was over the limit and you lost them. File a ticket and see if they'll restore them.
  • solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    deadalon wrote: »
    The 7 hour rollback was just a PR to make it look like they are doing something. And it hurt the normal honest players more than anything.

Sad, but true. They are hoping 7 hours was enough, but the market started going haywire late Saturday afternoon so they probably missed another 12 hours of abuse. We won't know how effective they've been until the exploiters hit up their mules and start to dump inventory. That is when it could get ugly again.
  • hawtvoxhawtvox Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why isn't this whole post under News?

I shouldn't have to actually search to find something like this.
    Common sense.
  • jegerwulfjegerwulf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Two issues I ran into: First, I appear to have lost anything I had in the auction house. I did not get the item, nor the AD. (In my case, it was a tailor. Second, all Celestial Coins were lost.
  • chicozchicoz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lost 2 piece looted from dungeon 2 days ago....items on AH lost.......
  • chicozchicoz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lost 2 piece looted from dungeon 2 days ago....items on AH lost.......
  • lightdark99lightdark99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I lost all my Rank 5 Enchant on my companion whch I payed for from Chest, THank you I will never play your game again,. good luck with few players left
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    hawtvox wrote: »
    Why isn't this whole post under News?

I shouldn't have to actually search to find something like this.
    Common sense.
    I just fixed that, moved it to News and then Back, leaving a redirect sticky. Thanks!
  • syrumsyrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 168 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    I just fixed that, moved it to News and then Back, leaving a redirect sticky. Thanks!

You should have gone through and cleaned this thread up before doing that... As of my post here, page 106 and 110 or 111 has some really ripe ones...

Regarding this whole issue, I'm not pleased at all. I still stand by the idea of doing a wipe. *shrug*
  • tabbytreebarktabbytreebark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for all your hard work on this issue, and for keeping us up to date. I had a few questions regarding the exploit but I see they've all been answered here.

To be honest, my main concern right now is that this rollback was caused by users misbehaving. I do hope they've all been caught and banned appropriately (as mentioned in another thread). I'm not even sure why they'd go exploiting bugs like this - it's like they were trying to cause a rollback!
This discussion has been closed.