test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• dngrmse1dngrmse1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ashkedawn wrote: »
    there are guilds out there where everyone received cats and mounts. those are not going to be touched by the rollback or by the company...they get to keep them

You don't know that. In all likelihood, PW is continuing their investigations, and additional action against mule accounts, and friends is still on the table.

A complete wipe would have punished the 99% of players that did nothing wrong....it was the wrong way to go, I'm glad that PW did not go that route. Punish the guilty, not the innocent.
  • wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bozse wrote: »
    It's been around since launch but was made "public" 2-3 days ago and was heavily abused for the last 12-16 hours before they took the servers down.

Thanks Bozse.

well, then looks like the short 'roll back' is the way to go on this one. I noticed a few people suggesting a 'total wipe' but that would be a deal breaker for me - I'd be outta here were that to happen, and I'm a HUGE supporter financially and time wise, I love the game, but with more than 200 hours played on my main, and much more $$'s than I really want to publicly admit.

I'd definitely walk away were we to roll it all back to vanilla. I wouldn't 'rage' really, probably wouldn't even post much, just sigh and move on to the next shinny thing out there.

that said, I really don't think a 'wipe' is even on the plate at the 'developer' level -so I'm not worried, and look forward to months if not years of continuing support of this awesome game.
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dngrmse1dngrmse1 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bmgropey wrote: »
    Most players want a wipe...cyptic/pwe is scared of doing what's right and instead I'm sure they're basically just going to hop to gloss this over and move onto their next MMO, NEVER EVER GIVE THIS COMPANY ANOTHER DIME! EVER EVER EVER!

Oh please. Stop with the hyperventilating. You have no idea what most players want. At least be honest....this is what you want.
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I thought this was a FAQ thread I asked 2 questions and no answer, I'll ask another one, 3rd time being the charm, will this FAQ ever be updated?
  • deadalondeadalon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wesgar wrote: »
    Q: What happened?

A: Early Sunday morning a very small group of players discovered and abused a game exploit within the Neverwinter Open Beta that affected the Auction House and Astral Diamonds.

Say, I know that this FAQ says that all this happened starting 'early sunday morning'... but in other places, it's sounds like it's something that had been going on for quite a bit longer than Early Sunday morning... some sources indicate that this was a Glitch that was reported back in closed beta even...

I suppose that I 'could read' the hundreds of posts before this one, but figured, their might be some one willing to just get me up to speed instead... is that right though? that this exploit had been being used for a long time? or, is it like the Q and A said, that it was something just discovered and used on Sunday may 19th?

Thanks.

The 7 hour rollback was just a PR to make it look like they are doing something. And it hurt the normal honest players more than anything.

What we do know is that it seems like Cryptic team has just gone on holliday since the game went open beta cause the issues are not being fixed at all. Reports after reports after reports of game breaking issues and nothing... other than new companion in store.

Where is the upgrading companion tokens btw?....
  • solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ajh101 wrote: »
    It's BETA !!!!

Firstly - Well done Dev's for sorting!

If some of you are STUPID enough to pay real money for Zen in BETA.. Well, other than a Disclaimer maybe required to point out the S word above, serves you right..

I can't wait for the torrent of abuse aimed at Dev's when game goes live ! OMG, You mean I have to start again (sob).

WTF ppl.. I hope all the haters do leave.. Let's call it "Natural Selection" :D

Uhmm there won't be any "start[ing] again" unless you choose to reroll because it's not a beta anymore. There won't be anymore character wipes because they are accepting real money transactions so they can't just alt-ctl-dlt your characters if you've paid for stuff in-game.
  • minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In that case, that's somewhat more irritating. o_O; Hit or miss loss of coins. I had 6 on my rogue, 5 on my CW, and all were gone when I logged in. >_<

What almost certainly happened was:

You logged in around 24 hours after you last invoked and reset your timer.

That was in the period that was rolled back. The servers came back up and it was too long after that when you came back in so the total game time elapsed was over the limit and you lost them. File a ticket and see if they'll restore them.
  • solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    deadalon wrote: »
    The 7 hour rollback was just a PR to make it look like they are doing something. And it hurt the normal honest players more than anything.

Sad, but true. They are hoping 7 hours was enough, but the market started going haywire late Saturday afternoon so they probably missed another 12 hours of abuse. We won't know how effective they've been until the exploiters hit up their mules and start to dump inventory. That is when it could get ugly again.
  • hawtvoxhawtvox Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why isn't this whole post under News?

I shouldn't have to actually search to find something like this.
    Common sense.
  • jegerwulfjegerwulf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Two issues I ran into: First, I appear to have lost anything I had in the auction house. I did not get the item, nor the AD. (In my case, it was a tailor. Second, all Celestial Coins were lost.
  • chicozchicoz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lost 2 piece looted from dungeon 2 days ago....items on AH lost.......
  • chicozchicoz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lost 2 piece looted from dungeon 2 days ago....items on AH lost.......
  • lightdark99lightdark99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I lost all my Rank 5 Enchant on my companion whch I payed for from Chest, THank you I will never play your game again,. good luck with few players left
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    hawtvox wrote: »

Common sense.
    I just fixed that, moved it to News and then Back, leaving a redirect sticky. Thanks!
  • syrumsyrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 168 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    I just fixed that, moved it to News and then Back, leaving a redirect sticky. Thanks!

You should have gone through and cleaned this thread up before doing that... As of my post here, page 106 and 110 or 111 has some really ripe ones...

Regarding this whole issue, I'm not pleased at all. I still stand by the idea of doing a wipe. *shrug*
  • tabbytreebarktabbytreebark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for all your hard work on this issue, and for keeping us up to date. I had a few questions regarding the exploit but I see they've all been answered here.

To be honest, my main concern right now is that this rollback was caused by users misbehaving. I do hope they've all been caught and banned appropriately (as mentioned in another thread). I'm not even sure why they'd go exploiting bugs like this - it's like they were trying to cause a rollback!
  • alaazxxcalaazxxc Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    i like how they are dealing with the whole thing, people should be more respectful PWI is doing its best so plz stop whining about everything i am not a PWI fanboi and this is the first game i have played from PWI. and btw if you played Diablo 3 and see what blizzard made in response to exploits which was absolutely NOTHING not even a rollback and not a single refund you will know that PWI is really working on it and doing something that other big companies failed to do
  • aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'll just leave this here.

http://www.geek.com/games/cryptic-studios-discovers-its-user-database-was-hacked-in-2010-1486063/

Anyone else surprised that it took this long for a limp wristed fix?
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • acwhistleracwhistler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had 38 items in my consignments and none are there now. Not a huge deal as most were 100-500 AD each, but sucks to lose that much.
  • starkiller3434starkiller3434 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    SO unfortunetly, I farmed 3 pieces of epic PVP gear during the rollback window. I get that you are sending every player a thank you pack, but Im doubting it will come close to about 5 hours of constant glory farming and more. Cant glory be refunded for that 7 hour window? Lets face it, these thank you packs are a nice touch, but I'm assuming I wont find 3 epic pieces in there. Given the fact that this was time spent farming, people that jkust reached 60 and startesd to farm are GREATLY disadvantaged by this rollback, whereas players whove been high level longer probably had a lot less to lose. Personaly, this is why a complete wipe should have been the option used. Only way to make sure nobody lost more then other people did. I'm sorry, but a few greens and blues in a thank you pack will probably all end up vendored. Yet, reimboursing glory seems like a plausible course of action.. at least thatll help out the pvpers who lost an enormous amount of time farming for nothing. So, my suggestion:
    -wipe for everyone, everyone starts out again
    - if glory can be refunded, that will save alot of woes
    - that 'thank you' pack should the most mesmerising thing ive ever seen (it wont be, it cant be... if every player in the realm gets a bunch of free epics... yeah, that aint happening).
    - next time this happens, shut down the servers asap... dont let us waste progress for a whole day.

Im trying to keep my cool, but this is fairly enraging. I understand this is a beta, but canceling a whole day of major progress is unacceptable (I just went from a 7K GS to 5k. All heroics blocked, etc).
  • dillygirldillygirl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zebular wrote: »

I already posted that on page 110, 33 pages earlier, and I bet in the 110 pages before that people posted it too?

agreed with the post below me.
  • deadalondeadalon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hawtvox wrote: »

Common sense.

Its not in the Launcher because its bad PR and Cryptic is trying to hide how unprofessional and incompetent they really are. But infact... they just proof EXACTLY that when you dont see this top of news and part of the launcher.

Unprofessional and incompetent dev crew is exactly what we are seeing.
  • ghellordoghellordo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i have this problem fatal error: Unavble to initialize on demand and connect to Patch server: the connection was idle for too long
    can you check it please?
  • ishtarscorpioishtarscorpio Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    I lost celestial coins. They zeroed out on both my characters. I know for a fact that I had more then zero on both of them and more then just one. My lowbie character was approaching seven coins and my higher level had at least three.

So what happened there?
  • manathayriamanathayria Member Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Down time does not pause the coin's count downs. I suggest a pause on coin timers during maintenance and server down time due to that fact.

Remember as well, if you invoked during that 7 hour period, it did not 'count'. Pausing the coins till after the player logs in (not just till after maintenance is completed) is the course I suggest due to the fact the time each of us has to play may fall only during that down time on any given day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /Channel_Join NW_Legit_Community to run Dungeons without the exploits
  • jukejointjezebeljukejointjezebel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What almost certainly happened was:

You logged in around 24 hours after you last invoked and reset your timer.

That was in the period that was rolled back. The servers came back up and it was too long after that when you came back in so the total game time elapsed was over the limit and you lost them. File a ticket and see if they'll restore them.

Well <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I didn't even think of that. -_- Good suggestion. Thanks.
    300wc45.jpgfa0uv6.jpg
  • marcvinimarcvini Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    "Q: What about ZEN I spent/transferred after 5:20 AM PDT?

A: You'll have any and all ZEN that you transferred to Neverwinter -- we tracked all transfers during that time and made sure players have the ZEN they should have. If you spent ZEN on items during that time, you'll need to re-buy the items, but you'll have all of that ZEN. No one will lose any money they spent on Neverwinter because of this fix. If you have any issue, please see the customer and billing support contacts below."

"Q: What about the ZEN I bought/sold after 5:20 AM PDT in the Astral Diamond Exchange?

A: All ZEN exchanged during this period will be returned to the original owners."

My question: When?
    "I am Elminster of Shadowdale, called by some the Old Sage, and called far worse things by others."
  • starkiller3434starkiller3434 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bumping because I cant find any mention on gloory gains and possible reimbursment:

SO unfortunetly, I farmed 3 pieces of epic PVP gear during the rollback window. I get that you are sending every player a thank you pack, but Im doubting it will come close to about 5 hours of constant glory farming and more. Cant glory be refunded for that 7 hour window? Lets face it, these thank you packs are a nice touch, but I'm assuming I wont find 3 epic pieces in there. Given the fact that this was time spent farming, people that jkust reached 60 and startesd to farm are GREATLY disadvantaged by this rollback, whereas players whove been high level longer probably had a lot less to lose. Personaly, this is why a complete wipe should have been the option used. Only way to make sure nobody lost more then other people did. I'm sorry, but a few greens and blues in a thank you pack will probably all end up vendored. Yet, reimboursing glory seems like a plausible course of action.. at least thatll help out the pvpers who lost an enormous amount of time farming for nothing. So, my suggestion:
    -wipe for everyone, everyone starts out again
    - if glory can be refunded, that will save alot of woes
    - that 'thank you' pack should the most mesmerising thing ive ever seen (it wont be, it cant be... if every player in the realm gets a bunch of free epics... yeah, that aint happening).
    - next time this happens, shut down the servers asap... dont let us waste progress for a whole day.

Im trying to keep my cool, but this is fairly enraging. I understand this is a beta, but canceling a whole day of major progress is unacceptable (I just went from a 7K GS to 5k. All heroics blocked, etc).
  • jukejointjezebeljukejointjezebel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I lost all my Rank 5 Enchant on my companion whch I payed for from Chest, THank you I will never play your game again,. good luck with few players left

Send in a ticket. If you can't bother doing that, you likely weren't all that interested in the first place. Nothing wrong with that, but doesn't it make more sense to give them a chance to rectify your problem? :\
    300wc45.jpgfa0uv6.jpg
  • therron243therron243 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have they given an estimated time that the AH and zen/ad exchange will be back up???
This discussion has been closed.