test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• skylia120410skylia120410 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think a full wipe would have punished the honest players far more....I lvled twice before servers went down bought a respec and sold dyes (all legit) I was happy to see my Zen returned and didn't mind the roll back because I was thinking of re-rolling my GWF because I decided not only did I want the respec I wanted a new class.

yes, this might have been going on for longer than the rollback but let's face it a lot of people didn't know about it till yesterday when all hell broke lose, I saw the negative bids and thought "man that is odd" and then like and hour later the servers went down. I think what they did is best like someone pointed out in an earlier post the ppl who had exploited this since day 1 were few and far in between compared to those that took the advantage yesterday.

PWE and Cryptic did the right here by their customers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character handle:@skylia120410
    (www.gwfnw.weebly.com)
    GWF GUIDE SITE: Still being worked on not 60 yet
    Divine Misfits (one of the Guild Leaders)(Guild Site Manager)
    www.divinemisfits.guildlaunch.com
  • braddassbraddass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108
    edited May 2013
    Will the gift be different for Founders? Something needs to done to address the fact that Founders Pack items have been devalued so much.

You advertised to pack to be worth $700. in this market, it is worth $100 at best.
    I am a Lawyer in real life, but I try to roleplay an honorable character ;)
  • vamps37vamps37 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Still no answers from Cryptic.... FAIL

Give us that want a new sever one. Admit you f-ed up and ingnored the issue. Your roll back did nothing to address/fix this problem. With this issue and all the other ones that have been used in the game the current ecomony is shot. do whats right and address it.
  • kazanlikkazanlik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is something called IP-Ban, obviously you never heared of it..
    There's also somethings called dynamically assigned IP Addresses and DHCP. Obviously you have never heard of them, or you are suggesting a full domain bans? Let's not let anyone from Verizon play! Any sort of ban is problematic to implement, but IP Bans have way too much potential for innocents to be caught in collateral damage while still letting the person you don't want in, in. I don't have an answer, but I know yours is not a good one.
  • solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pois0nman wrote: »
    I can't see why they can't wipe, they have records of everyone that purchased Zen from them and other packs and can have them start with all that again. Only thing lost is time, which is unfortunate but it is still open beta. I know they publicly said no more wipes, but these are extenuating circumstances, and I see how it is a necessary evil.

It is all about the money. They won't (notice I didn't say can't) refund all that money because my guess is about 40% of it would never, EVER comeback. They have money in hand and have no intention of giving it back. Having said that, they recognize they do have responsibilities; otherwise, they would have just ignored the entire fiasco. They still face chargebacks from the credit card companies so they will have to absorb those losses, but my guess is it will be far less than if they did an across the board refund and hoped that the suckers, eerrrr customers made the same mistake twice and give it right back to them.
  • paganhawkpaganhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pois0nman wrote: »
    Well if this has been going on since the last wipe, aka the start of open beta, then a 7 hour roll back is not going to fix all the damage already done by this ONE exploit never mind all the countless other exploits and bugs that are now floating around reddit and the internet as a whole.

I can't see why they can't wipe, they have records of everyone that purchased Zen from them and other packs and can have them start with all that again. Only thing lost is time, which is unfortunate but it is still open beta. I know they publicly said no more wipes, but these are extenuating circumstances, and I see how it is a necessary evil.

I would have said unforeseen circumstances instead of extenuating if these exploits and bugs were "new", but with all these reports of them being around since closed beta / the start of open beta, and even some people saying STO had similar problems rules out it being "unforeseen".

Correct, I agree a roll back isn't going to totally fix the damage from this. But your origional post (which is what I was refering to) said that a ban and rollback would be ineffective because they could just create another character/account. And My question was how did a wipe prevent them from being able to do the same thing?
  • maniacjimmaniacjim Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No time to check entire thread....I'm missing 4 assets from my leadership profession. They were there way before this problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Known fix? Just submit ticket and keep fingers crossed?
  • xavrathxavrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    solyad1 wrote: »
    Still not a beta. They sold a product and have responsibilities. If it were a beta, they would wipe it so no wipe means no beta.

There is no hard and fast rule that says there will always be a wipe after beta. Several other games have not had wipes when beta was complete. I would also like to remind people that World of Warcraft was practically unplayable at launch. It took Blizzard months to get that game working right. The difference is that so many people whine now when they get the least little bit of inconvenience because they forget the growing pains. They measure everything against perfect conditions that aren't attainable. If you show me a program without any bugs then I will show you a program that doesn't do anything worthwhile either.
  • soariansoarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wellll, it would seem that tickets have been created about this problem some time back...

http://s17.postimg.org/tu8qd0cyn/lolfail.jpg

This is me done with this company... I'll have to write off the stupid price I paid to get early access, and chalk it down as one of life's lessons. PW/Cryptic, you fooled me twice...
  • paganhawkpaganhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is all about the money. They won't (notice I didn't say can't) refund all that money because my guess is about 40% of it would never, EVER comeback. They have money in hand and have no intention of giving it back. Having said that, they recognize they do have responsibilities; otherwise, they would have just ignored the entire fiasco. They still face chargebacks from the credit card companies so they will have to absorb those losses, but my guess is it will be far less than if they did an across the board refund and hoped that the suckers, eerrrr customers made the same mistake twice and give it right back to them.

He didn't say refund the MONEY, he said refund the ZEN!!! they would still have the money.
  • xavrathxavrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    maniacjim wrote: »
    No time to check entire thread....I'm missing 4 assets from my leadership profession. They were there way before this problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Known fix? Just submit ticket and keep fingers crossed?

Are you sure that you didn't upgrade hem to a higher level? There are several crafting tasks that take four lower level items and upgrade them to one higher level one.
  • strike2wcestrike2wce Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    soarian wrote: »
    Wellll, it would seem that tickets have been created about this problem some time back...

http://s17.postimg.org/tu8qd0cyn/lolfail.jpg

This is me done with this company... I'll have to write off the stupid price I paid to get early access, and chalk it down as one of life's lessons. PW/Cryptic, you fooled me twice...

It has already been confirmed that the screenshot you linked is Photoshopped. Stop spreading propaganda.
  • soariansoarian Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    strike2wce wrote: »
    It has already been confirmed that the screenshot you linked is Photoshopped. Stop spreading propaganda.

It's a 132-page thread, dude. I'm not trawling through it all.
  • strike2wcestrike2wce Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    soarian wrote: »
    It's a 132-page thread, dude. I'm not trawling through it all.

There are several threads already made about it. No need to spread it elsewhere.
  • melanducciomelanduccio Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry guys, from my point of view, the software house failed, big time too. I don't feel like playing anymore, all the feedbacks previously given are proof enough to me that you were aware of the situation. Also the solution you have found sounds something like "Oh geee, there was a big problem with the economy in game, but no worries, here's a tiny rollback and an additional cookie for you".
    Sorry, I deserve more than that and with this I have decided to leave the game. I am just one in a million probably and I know you won't care at all. Personally I've been feeling like I used to in WoW, where being and hardcore raider meant most likely to undergo all the crappy decisions of the game management. One of the reasons that lead me to change was in fact this one, now I don't see any point in continuing here.

Regards.
  • lessietronlessietron Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In my opinion, though a ballsy move.. a wipe would be a better strategy for the future of this game long run.Thing is that none of the players know how much duped AD sinked in the economy and there's no way of knowing even with official announcements. I think i'm speaking for many gamers that like to pay to have an edge that this economy has lost its credit as is, and no amounts of official reassuring will convince most of them that their dollar doesn't have less value in this economy.An economy is as good as the faith of investors in it and that gonna be low for lots of days to come cause of the controversial effectiveness of measures taken
  • back2workback2work Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    samarise wrote: »
    My husband and I have been following this event closely (like thousands of other players). We are posting to thank all the people at PWE and Cryptic for their continued efforts. Rollbacks and wipes can be 'scary' especially for players new to MMO's. I think the Game (including developers, management and players) has come through with flying colors. I would like to especially commend the NWN official posters who exhibited patience and compassion in all their posts.

Well done, Team Neverwinter!

Really? ... seriously?...ok.. Where is the punch line.
  • anarah77anarah77 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I say we should be given a choice between Astral Diamonds or the pack they are giving. I'm sure people want Zen, but we all know that's not going to be a choice. Some people might want the AD or the pack, depending on their needs in the game.
  • solyad1solyad1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    xavrath wrote: »
    There is no hard and fast rule that says there will always be a wipe after beta. Several other games have not had wipes when beta was complete. I would also like to remind people that World of Warcraft was practically unplayable at launch. It took Blizzard months to get that game working right. The difference is that so many people whine now when they get the least little bit of inconvenience because they forget the growing pains. They measure everything against perfect conditions that aren't attainable. If you show me a program without any bugs then I will show you a program that doesn't do anything worthwhile either.

This is not beta. It doesn't matter what they say. They have accepted money and are now responsible. Never expected perfection, but gigantic, game breaking defects is a lot more than anyone would have expected to see after a soft launch. What exactly were they testing in all those months of unit, integration, and closed beta testing?
    edited May 2013
    kazanlik wrote: »
    There's also somethings called dynamically assigned IP Addresses and DHCP. Obviously you have never heard of them, or you are suggesting a full domain bans? Let's not let anyone from Verizon play! Any sort of ban is problematic to implement, but IP Bans have way too much potential for innocents to be caught in collateral damage while still letting the person you don't want in, in. I don't have an answer, but I know yours is not a good one.

You obviously do not understand how DHCP works. DHCP will always seek to give you back the same IP address that you have been given previously. The only way that you do not get the same IP address back again is to stay offline long enough to let somebody else get assigned that address. Depending on how your ISP configures their DHCP settings that could mean that you need to stay offline for days before you will get a different IP address.
    edited May 2013
    paganhawk wrote: »
    He didn't say refund the MONEY, he said refund the ZEN!!! they would still have the money.

And they likely won't refund that either so what difference does it make?
  • maniacjimmaniacjim Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you sure that you didn't upgrade hem to a higher level? There are several crafting tasks that take four lower level items and upgrade them to one higher level one.

You are probably right. I used 4 mercs to get a Guard, I didnt realize that they would be consumed like a **** potion!! Where did they go? Just sacrifice themselves for this **** guard??

Anyways, thanks for the info :)
    edited May 2013
    And they likely won't refund that either so what difference does it make?

Yes they would. They did a character wipe after closed beta and refunded all of the zen that players had used during closed beta to test the zen store. The processes are already in place to wipe and refund all purchased zen.

Sorry, but at this point you are losing any credibility you have left by just spewing thigns that have been proven to be untrue by past actions.
  • abelcoeurdacierabelcoeurdacier Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have no more piece celeste in my bag since the bug's patch ,when i will had them?
    edited May 2013
    This is not beta. It doesn't matter what they say. They have accepted money and are now responsible. Never expected perfection, but gigantic, game breaking defects is a lot more than anyone would have expected to see after a soft launch. What exactly were they testing in all those months of unit, integration, and closed beta testing?

While I understand your sentiments, I think the number of problems actually does indicate that they are indeed still in beta. A release game wouldn't actually have any big bugs and exploits. Remember the World of Warcraft release was perfect... oh wait...
    edited May 2013
    Yes they would. They did a character wipe after closed beta and refunded all of the zen that players had used during closed beta to test the zen store. The processes are already in place to wipe and refund all purchased zen.

Sorry, but at this point you are losing any credibility you have left by just spewing thigns that have been proven to be untrue by past actions.

Yea they refunded it because they said they would because it was an actual beta where they told you it was going to wipe at the end you'd get refunded. They have repeatedly said no wipes here because they know they are on the hook because of the RMT and have ZERO plans to refund any of it.

You can keep living in whatever fantasy-beta you think this is, but the fact is they are accepting money and have obligations. That is a 100% fact.
  • ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I prayed for celestial coins everyday, including my 3 day headstart, now what?
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
    edited May 2013
    While I understand your sentiments, I think the number of problems actually does indicate that they are indeed still in beta. A release game wouldn't actually have any big bugs and exploits. Remember the World of Warcraft release was perfect... oh wait...

I never said I expected it to be perfect, but this is unacceptable. Bugs are expected and they are FINE. Major failures of entire systems that destroy your game are not fine. Yea I remember WoW, it was horrific and would be down for days at at time. I also know that was 8 years ago and you'd think someone would be smart enough to learn from their competitor's mistakes and not make them all over again.
    edited May 2013
    lessietron wrote: »
    In my opinion, though a ballsy move.. a wipe would be a better strategy for the future of this game long run.Thing is that none of the players know how much duped AD sinked in the economy and there's no way of knowing even with official announcements. I think i'm speaking for many gamers that like to pay to have an edge that this economy has lost its credit as is, and no amounts of official reassuring will convince most of them that their dollar doesn't have less value in this economy.An economy is as good as the faith of investors in it and that gonna be low for lots of days to come cause of the controversial effectiveness of measures taken

I think this really speaks to the heart of the problem. Economies work because the consumer has the confidence to spend money. Cash flow is the fuel that drives the machine. If people feel like they are getting ripped off then they will sit on their cash and the zen store will suffer from it.

It is very important for Cryptic to consider a wipe at some point. While they may ban all of the people that exploited to get cheap epic gear, did they also remove any AH transactions where people were able to purchase that ill-gotten gear at ridiculously deflated prices because of having a glut of it on the market? The entire timeline of the endgame gear grind has been circumvented and unless Cryptic can release more content, and a new tier of epic gear, fairly quickly, they will find that way too many people have gotten geared up cheaply and quickly from all that gear being sold.

I favor a wipe, but not until Cryptic gets all of their big issues figured out and fixed. A wipe is something that you never want to do a second time. They have to get the game right before they do it.
  • rockamusrockamus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It was less than 29 hours from the last time I invoked, to being able to log back in this morning...but the Celestial Coins are gone!!!
    If there isn't 6 Celestial Coins in that thank you pack they're sending out.......then I hope there is a kiss in it.

I like to be kissed when I am being screwed!! :/

And the Devs saying that this was the best solution that they could come up with doesn't bode well for confidence in them.....cause this fix was a total fail IMHO.

/2cents
This discussion has been closed.