test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Mature Look At What Happened....

ztempestztempest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Let’s put this entire episode into perspective.
A small number of individuals exploited an entire virtual world. In terms of game population, this group of individuals probably represented less than one tenth of one percent of the entire player population…
Yet the actions of a few are affecting the entire playerbase, most of which are players who genuinely enjoy the game – whose purchases of Zen represent an investment in the game, and who genuinely play the game the way it is supposed to be played.
Some people are calling for a complete wipe of this entire virtual world. Let me tell you why this is wrong. First, 90% plus of the player base has invested time and money to reach certain goals in-game. Wiping the servers reduces all that effort to nothing. Secondly, the small group of individuals who exploited the system have essentially a criminal mindset – and that means that a server wipe would just be more entertainment for them. Just think of it – by not only exploiting the system, they will have caused the destruction of an entire virtual community and world. They already got out of the exploit what they wanted – a server wipe would be icing on the cake, and does nothing more than add to their reputation in an evil way. Let me be clear – they WANT a server wipe – within certain circles, that would cement their claims to fame.
Do you REALLY want to give them what they want?
Solutions – Cryptic and PWE are closing the loopholes and tracking down and punishing the guilty. This is the right thing for them to do…but wiping all of the shards?
Pause a moment…because if this is what happens…then you will have handed the exploiters what they desire on a silver platter.
Post edited by ztempest on

Comments

• Options
    mcleod71mcleod71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    where do you come up with 90% do you have any data to back up this claim?
  • Options
    vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There are two kinds of statistics, the kind you look up and the kind you make up.
    ~Rex Stout, Death of a Doxy
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    ztempestztempest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is a guess, frankly...but consider....

If the server population is around 300K or so -- and that is conservative, it might be much higher than that and it likely is -- then 10% of that group would be 3,000 individuals.

I don't know anything about the AH...but the AD exchange had all of the earmarks of a small group of individuals manipulating the entire market. I doubt that it was a coordinated group of thousands.

But once again, just a guess based on numbers and logic.

Frankly...if the number of exploiters was more than 5% of the player base, I would be shocked.
  • Options
    jyotaijyotai Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A game should get wiped at launch out of beta - regardless of how the beta has gone.

The money folks spent would get converted back into credits on the cash store, and all toons would get zapped out of existence with perhaps an X-days period to get your character name.

That's just normal for an MMO launch.
    PST timezone older player. Mostly play tanks and healers. Don't game outside of MMOs.
  • Options
    kife1100kife1100 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While you aren't correct, your not wrong either.

You just threw in numbers in there trying to make sense. There was A LOT of people committing this exploit and was having major issues regarding the economy. *WTS Cat 10g*

The part you are correct about is that more than the other part of the community was playing the game legitimately, we already know there will be no wipe. If anything this downtime serves as a minor inconvience in the long run of this game. People are blowing this out of proportion.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thank you, Kife.

I think that the main point I wanted to make -- and which I did not make well evidently -- is that if there is a server wipe (and we have already been told that is not the case, so it is a moot point), that kind of action would be what the exploiters want, because it would add to their reputation. I understand the frustration of the segment of the community calling for such a drastic action...I can understand the whole "tear it down and recreate anew" mentality...but in this case, it is self-destructive for absolutely zero gain in the long run...and it actually gives the perps what they want -- recognition and bragging rights for destroying a pretty awesome game.
  • Options
    morvek01morvek01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    First, your numbers are fiction, made up...period. Here's a couple facts. Fact1 - FREE TO PLAY, meaning you can have any number of accounts if you want. Fact2 - Real money is involved in this game. Fact3 - when currency is exploited through cheating, the cheater is directly affecting anyone who has spent any real cash in the game as well as anyone playing legitimately through adversely affecting the auction house market and zen to AD exchange rate. Without a wipe there is absolutely no way PWE can guarantee that the gear/AD that was gotten through cheating is removed. If they miss even a handful of storage accounts that were used to "launder" gear and AD it will have an adverse affect on the in-game economy. I'm referring to full inventories of epic gear. Do I want a character-wipe? Hell no! I just hit 60 today and got my first companion to rank 30. Do I think it necessary at this point? YES. Sadly it's the only way to guarantee the removal of all the ill-gotten gains and a stable economy for all the legit players later on.
    Also, your PWE account keeps track of any cash purchases you've made for zen. So there'd be no reason to lose your investment of money at least.
    If you can't be constructive in your criticism, go back to world-of-whiners.
  • Options
    claroxannabellclaroxannabell Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ztempest wrote: »
    It is a guess, frankly...but consider....

If the server population is around 300K or so -- and that is conservative, it might be much higher than that and it likely is -- then 10% of that group would be 3,000 individuals.

10% OF 300K is 30k, not 3k. That would be 1%.

Yes, your point remains. However, it won't be that easy to fix this situation without reverting back. I completely understand about your point about the people who have invested money into the game, and I would hope PWE would compensate/refund any money spent since whatever point they may or may not choose (if they do) to roll back/wipe to. However, the fact is that this is a F2P game, and the vast majority of players haven't spent a cent, especially considering this is still technically beta.
  • Options
    vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    morvek01 wrote: »
    First, your numbers are fiction, made up...period. Here's a couple facts. Fact1 - FREE TO PLAY, meaning you can have any number of accounts if you want. Fact2 - Real money is involved in this game. Fact3 - when currency is exploited through cheating, the cheater is directly affecting anyone who has spent any real cash in the game as well as anyone playing legitimately through adversely affecting the auction house market and zen to AD exchange rate. Without a wipe there is absolutely no way PWE can guarantee that the gear/AD that was gotten through cheating is removed. If they miss even a handful of storage accounts that were used to "launder" gear and AD it will have an adverse affect on the in-game economy. I'm referring to full inventories of epic gear. Do I want a character-wipe? Hell no! I just hit 60 today and got my first companion to rank 30. Do I think it necessary at this point? YES. Sadly it's the only way to guarantee the removal of all the ill-gotten gains and a stable economy for all the legit players later on.
    Also, your PWE account keeps track of any cash purchases you've made for zen. So there'd be no reason to lose your investment of money at least.

I feel the same way Morvek01. I have a feeling they are going to go the same route as they did with STO and give some 'stern' warnings, and we will be covered in cat fur.

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    Where do you get a small number? Since when is something worth 25mil AD at the AH, in the stagnant 344ad/1zen market that is like $73,000 in zen. And people were ok with getting 25 mil in an auction... and didn't report that something was suspicious? How about all the people who got free cats and any other AD item that isn't boe? Anyone who got benefit from the exploit and didn't report it is just as bad as those who used the exploit. I can't see it being a small number..
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Back a long time ago, I played GW and there was one fellow who controlled the price of ectoplasm. People thought it was everyone, but it wasn't. He was in my guild and he had all of the assets one could want, but what he really enjoyed most was making sure everything he had stayed valuable and by doing that, he would literally buy ecto off of the vendor until the price went up by several thousand.

When he thought it should go down, he'd sell back.. when he wanted it to go up again, he would buy back. He conveniently dumped ecto when he was about to make sale, and bought it out, when he was making a buy.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Sorry but apparently you didn't watch one of the multiple streams this morning talking about the exploit.

If anything I would bet 90% of the people online today took advantage of the exploit. hence my view is a total wipe is the only thing to fix the mess, anything short of that and I will most likely quit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    tredotredo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A server wipe is NOT what they want... I don't get where you guys think that cryptic and PWI are going to wave a magic wand and wala the exploiters are going to show up in gold shiny spotlights. However, you are right about one thing, the exploiters are criminal in nature. They do this for a living, they have made off with 1000's of USD because of this. They have mule accounts, and toons, they use fake and forwarded IP's. The chance of Cryptic and PWI finding these guys and banning their accounts is like me finding a needle in a haystack pinned to the winning powerball ticket from last night in another country from my chair using google maps. Its the same concept. So despite your made up numbers and I do see your point, but you are just out and out wrong about your assumption.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yep...missed a zero there. It is late here.

to Morvek...a wipe is not the answer. A restructured economy is. Make certain types of loot and purchased items Bind on Pickup instead of Bind on Equip...and phase out AD, and you have brought to a screeching halt any stored-away caches of loot that could unbalance the economy down the line...shoot...just making most of the blue loot and ALL of the purchased items from vendors BoP would go a long way to stopping that nonsense...no more "Cat 10G" posts, that is certain.
  • Options
    bugs55678bugs55678 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mcleod71 wrote: »
    where do you come up with 90% do you have any data to back up this claim?

do you have a brain to back up your post? lol.

He said "90% of people invested TIME and MONEY."

I'm quite sure that to most people Time=money....and if you played this game, you invested time into it, no matter how long you played for.
  • Options
    snugglemancersnugglemancer Member Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You're not using the numbers that matter. It's not so important how many players exploited but the scale of the exploit. If 1 player injected into the economy an amount of AD that dwarfed all the legitimately gained AD combined then that is worse than if hundreds of players used an exploit that let them farm epic items. The people asking for a wipe aren't trying to punish anyone, they are just looking to repair the damage done by the exploits.
  • Options
    snappypantssnappypants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vernednd wrote: »
    There are two kinds of statistics, the kind you look up and the kind you make up.
    ~Rex Stout, Death of a Doxy

And the kind that one looks up that someone made up then posts on the Interwebs.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ztempest wrote: »
    Yep...missed a zero there. It is late here.

to Morvek...a wipe is not the answer. A restructured economy is. Make certain types of loot and purchased items Bind on Pickup instead of Bind on Equip...and phase out AD, and you have brought to a screeching halt any stored-away caches of loot that could unbalance the economy down the line...shoot...just making most of the blue loot and ALL of the purchased items from vendors BoP would go a long way to stopping that nonsense...no more "Cat 10G" posts, that is certain.

If you phase out AD, what do those of us who have legitimate stores of AD get compensated then? What about those of us who planned to share companions they purchased between their toons (once they fix the unbinding issue)?

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    bugs55678bugs55678 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morvek01 wrote: »

The only thing fiction about this, is your brain....because TIME=Money. So..Yes the OP is actually right.
  • Options
    wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There will be no wipe. Quit crying for a wipe like babies. Wipe yourself if you want to start over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ferventfervent Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    What cracks me up is the number of "do as I say or I'll take my ball and go home!" comments. Seriously people STFU, if you are going to threaten, then just leave! If you are to na
  • Options
    kyotheman9000kyotheman9000 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kind of sick reading same thing over and over again, wipe, no wipe, exploits whatever.

can they just do roll over or whatever and get dam servers up i want play damit...

im poor i don't care i just want to play, worry about AH when im 60
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    "No wipe" sounds like a true exploit beneficiary has spoken. Oh well, I am off to hold my breath until I turn blue unless the servers come back up.
  • Options
    voodoofrostvoodoofrost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People amaze me. When I play, I'm having fun. There is no work involved. Wipe or no wipe, rollback or not, it doesn't matter. I'm playing for entertainment. If I have to start all over, it will be very easy for me. I will have the same fun I had the first time, and have a better understanding of the game and my character. Hell...it would mean fewer wasted power points spent! I get to redo my toon the right way! I get to spend my zen on better choices! It's like a second chance at life!! hehe
    IF this game ever became actual WORK, where I wasn't having fun anymore, I STILL wouldn't care about a wipe, etc, because I'd be moving to another game.
    Everyone seems SO passionate about this whole thing, and I can't help but wonder why they wouldn't have the same fun they had the first time around. And again...with the knowledge to avoid a few mistakes.
    ign: Samedi
    TR, Beholder Server
  • Options
    ferventfervent Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    fervent wrote: »
    What cracks me up is the number of "do as I say or I'll take my ball and go home!" comments. Seriously people STFU, if you are going to threaten, then just leave! If you are to na

This should say: What cracks me up is the number of "do as I say or I'll take my ball and go home!" comments. Seriously people STFU, if you are going to threaten, then just leave! If you are to na
  • Options
    vaeledrinvaeledrin Member Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    fervent wrote: »
    This should say: What cracks me up is the number of "do as I say or I'll take my ball and go home!" comments. Seriously people STFU, if you are going to threaten, then just leave! If you are to na

Nah, the best thing to do is not to leave but to ensure that the buildings are razed, the land salted, and the people scattered; that is to say, I recommend people exploiting every facet until the game either improves and PWE/Cryptic become reasonable/decent people (corporations are apparently people) or crashes and burns. Then with its corpse dragged from the scorched earth and strewn onto a crucifix by the people as to serve as a reminder that it's probably better to be transparent and work with your community than to work against it.

Either way, the exploiters did us as a service by exploiting now rather than later given how things are turning out, and will inevitably push the game towards improvement. While I have invested plenty of time and 'love' into this game, I don't really mind seeing it burnt down either and neither should you.
  • Options
    cera001cera001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The have to wipe the servers because the astral diamonds generated through this exploit have already been transferred around through fake IP's and disguising hardware etc etc... This is a major economy breaking issue that has affected the game in so many ways it probably can't be fully measured. Fire the people responsible for not acting faster when this was clearly brought to their attention a long time ago; wipe the servers; refund everyone's zen and that should do it.

Otherwise this game will forever had a bad rep and cryptic as a whole could be damaged...

End of story!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Member Posts: 2,617 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Damaged? This has happened in the opening days of every cryptic mmo since they sold CoX.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    voodoofrostvoodoofrost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Damaged? This has happened in the opening days of every cryptic mmo since they sold CoX.

Correction: This has happened during the beta of every MMO ever. EVER.
    ign: Samedi
    TR, Beholder Server
  • Options
    cocksworthcocksworth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure what I was expecting but I guess this passes for mature on these forums. Not even going address what 90% investing time into the game means (it's been out like a week) but as far as exploiters being a small number that's pretty much horse dookie (keeping it mature).

Zone chat was flooded with foundry farm groups, zone chat was flooded with pirate king exploit groups, zone chat was flooded with GF buying valiant pieces and groups paying AD for GFs to run with. This was all 2-3 days before any of those exploits were fixed. There were streamers with thousands of viewers showing how to do the exploits live days before they were fixed.

Just because you didn't know about them doesn't change that a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton of other people did. Frankly whenever someone tells me they didn't know of any of the exploits I just assume they are kinda slow or oblivious which might explain why it's so hard for you guys to re-level to 60.