test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Astral Diamond Exchange and Auction House Offline

dezstravusdezstravus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey All,

The Astral Diamond Exchange and the Auction House have been temporarily taken offline to resolve a high priority bug.

At this time we are still investigating the details regarding the issue and will post more information as the situation progresses.

As the issue involves in-game currency, we understand that there may be questions regarding the follow up actions needed to ensure that the economy remains fair and balanced. At this time we are still in the process of collecting the data, but plan to share details regarding follow up actions once the investigation concludes. Thank you for your patience and understanding while we continually smooth out issues during open beta.

Sincerely,

Dezstravus and the Neverwinter Team

Update 12PM Pacific: We are still investigating the situation. There is a high likelihood that we will be performing character-specific rollbacks on any accounts that were found to be utilizing the exploit. Additionally, we are investigating the extent of what can additional steps can be taken to remove any illegitimately obtained Astral Diamonds that have entered into the economy. We are also investigating the possibility of a shard-wide rollback.

Update 12:15PM Pacific: We're bringing the shards down temporarily to better investigate the issue. Estimated downtime is 1 hour. Thank you!

Update 12:45PM Pacific: We're still investigating the issue and will have more information for you as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience!

Update 12:55PM Pacific: The shard downtime will be extended for two more hours as we address the AD/AH issue. More details soon - thank you!

Update 1:30PM Pacific: We are identifying the accounts that have utilized the AH exploit and will be taking action against said accounts. We are also still investigating the severity of the issue and its impact on the game, and from this information we will take corrective action. Estimated downtime is at least two more hours.

Update 5:15 PM Pacific: We have most of the information in-hand, but are waiting on a few final details to determine our plan of action. To clarify one thing I've seen around on Twitter, whatever we ultimately decide to do, a full character wipe will not happen. We're doing everything we can to minimize the impact of this fix, so that it changes what must change, but not much else. Thank you all for your patience, we appreciate it and will have you back in-game as soon as possible.

Update 6 PM Pacific: We're still finalizing the plan of action. Once everything is locked in, we'll be posting everything, so keep your eyes on Facebook, on Twitter and on our forums -- we'll make sure it goes everywhere. Thank you all again, we appreciate your support and patience.

Update 6:35 PM Pacific: We have a plan of action. We're verifying the exact timeline with the Neverwinter team, then we'll be triple-checking the planned forum post with all key stakeholders before posting. We're not finished yet, folks, but we're getting closer.

Update 9 PM Pacific: The post about our plan of action is being confirmed -- stay tuned, folks, we're getting closer.

Post edited by dezstravus on

Comments

• tormeantedtormeanted Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There may/will be rollbacks of everything? Toon level progress? Crafting progress? Money progress only?
    Should I even play at this point? Or will I lose any progress? May? Will? Etc.?

This post could be so much more informative.
  • teldarateldara Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    TL;DR: No roll backs will happen. Have fun!

There won't be a rollback as far as we can tell. "Gathering data" is pointless. There's no need together data. The data is in their face.

What's the point gathering data then a day down the road they decide to roll back. People lose 12+ hours of game play and especially people who only play the weekend and have no clue what's going on. That's going to effect them more than the rest of us on here who are weary not to get on.
  • haelrahaelra Member Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure they don't know yet.
  • regnorvexregnorvex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    They're not going to commit to anything until they understand what they have and what steps need to be taken. I'm not sure it could be that much more informative. Hang in there and be patient, hard as it may be.

Stupid exploiters are at it again. This is the result of all those negative AH bids you've seen. Someone found a way to exploit that and create massive AD dumps. There's going to have to be some significant economy balancing after this so I'm very curious to see what steps they take. Hopefully, anyone touching that bug gets a perma-ban and their transactions unwound and obliterated.
    "Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • hycinthushycinthus Member Posts: 158 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Will there be a server rollback possibility?
  • jthelen1jthelen1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eventually, the post will be more informative. In the meantime, read the following quote, and then go work on your reading comprehension skills.
    As the issue involves in-game currency, we understand that there may be questions regarding the follow up actions needed to ensure that the economy remains fair and balanced. At this time we are still in the process of collecting the data, but plan to share details regarding follow up actions once the investigation concludes. Thank you for your patience and understanding while we continually smooth out issues during open beta.
    (emphasis mine)
  • leo2fishleo2fish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not understanding why you wouldn't just shut the servers down due to the severity of this exploit. The economy of the game is broken in so many ways that no amount of traced bans will solve it, I fail to see what "data" needs to be collected for you guys to understand that simple concept.
  • b4sikb4sik Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    As the issue involves in-game currency, we understand that there may be questions regarding the follow up actions needed to ensure that the economy remains fair and balanced. At this time we are still in the process of collecting the data, but plan to share details regarding follow up actions once the investigation concludes.
    And how many years will it take to give us the details?
  • teldarateldara Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    b4sik wrote: »
    And how many years will it take to give us the details?

When ever the game goes live.
  • femaelstromfemaelstrom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is just laughable. If you have any integrity and care about the long-term perception of your game and company you'd have dropped the servers, not just the gateway. Unbelievable.
  • neverwinterbeta2neverwinterbeta2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What's going to happen with the game after the bans? Since there's been no word of a rollback, I'm assuming you're not going to do anything about the generated ad that's already saturated the market. Even if the lot of you ban the accounts that used the ad spawn, it's still too late seeing as how the exploited have already, and are still, right now, putting the money back into the economy. Mount training items, companions, along with trillions of ad have been added. And it's only getting worse as time goes on.

Honestly, I can't see the economy recovering after this. It was already in a weakened state after the last ad generating glitch, and this really, really messed it up. We're talking trillions of ad has been generated out of nothing. Trillions of ad has already been placed back into the economy. Even if those who abused are banned, the money's still there. And it's sitting there on the accounts of many other people, quite a few of which did nothing wrong other than accept a trade.

What I want to ask is, well, what's going to happen now? What's going to happen to the people who've purchased zen, only to have it bought out for a now worthless currency? What's going to happen with the economy? What's going to happen to the game now that this has happened? I know y'all are in a bit of a pickle, but I'm pretty sure the player base would appreciate a little information. Being kept in the dark like this isn't fun.
  • visinjivisinji Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the response and good morning in sunny Cali!

Most folks are wondering if we should even log in today or not (possible rollback, wipe, etc.).
  • vampy2k13vampy2k13 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What a ****ED UP company.
  • xhivenxhiven Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    visinji wrote: »
    Most folks are wondering if we should even log in today or not (possible rollback, wipe, etc.).

^ This. If you leave the servers up, you leave this possibility up in the air and make playing a dubious venture.
  • nationalcity1nationalcity1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    Ok, so how is taking this down helping at all because the people already have the diamonds and zen...

I mean do you not understand that unless you ROLLBACK that your not fixing anything except the bug?

Unless that is your plan and your just gonna fix the bug and let all the currency stay in the game...

I really hope not because you will have a lot of angry people on your hands.........
  • phillight86phillight86 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Not many Infos... a bit normal u will look what happening ... so its not a real info u spread here out...
  • ooinnooinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would say people should plan for a minor rollback (to Saturday?). I say this as of 1:47pm EST the servers are still up. No need to take them down to prevent further damage or increase the time needed to sift through logs if you're just going to rollback to a time before the exploit really took off.
    fs_pc.png
  • manduchessmanduchess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    They need to wipe the servers. Its the only way to fix this. They need to refund all ad to founders and all zen to purchasers. Then they need to do a full wipe. Only way to fix this. It isnt just 1 exploit we are talking about here people. There have been sooo many exploits already that have completely ruined the economy and the purpose of playing this game. They need to wipe to fix this.
  • spainleinadspainleinad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Astral Cats GG
  • dustmitedustmite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    teldara wrote: »
    When ever the game goes live.

The game already did go live, they use open beta term in games now so they can collect real cash and not be held accountable for loss purchased merchandise do from the effects of bug glitches. There is a law even when it comes to games that if your unsatisfied with what you have purchased "money spent in a game" they must give you a refund. The beta tag is a flag to side track this law.
  • baaaaakabaaaaaka Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just read this because of the link posted in other threads, "We're on top of it, read this thread <insert link to this thread>".

So... I clicked and what are you on top of exactly? Just another "hey we're looking into it, no details though". I understand you need to go into damage control at this point but treating your users like idiots and keeping them in the dark is not the way to go about it. People are out for blood and at this point you're just tempting them.

Please for the love of god, tell us what you're looking into exactly? A wipe? Rollback?
  • soulwarrior78soulwarrior78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey All,

The Astral Diamond Exchange and Neverwinter Gateway have been temporarily taken offline to resolve a high priority bug.

As the issue involves in-game currency, we understand that there may be questions regarding the follow up actions needed to ensure that the economy remains fair and balanced.

That exploit was going on for at nearly a day. By the time the AH went down, EVERY SINGLE auction had negative values in them. People that posted any item in the AH got absolutely NOTHING for them because if an exploiter hit their auction with the bug, the exploiter could make a billion AD off a single auction while the person who was honest and had nothing to do with it and just wanted to sell their items got absolutely NOTHING for it.

How about all the exploiters that have bought items like cats and mounts and gave them away to people? What about those exploiters that bought said items and asked for gold in exchange?

The economy right now is GONE. ABSOLUTELY GONE. There's people running around with rank 9 runes and Greater runes. A few hours before the AH went down, and even before everything was set to negative values, people were selling their items for TENS of millions of AD.

The Zen market crashed as well. There was no Zen to be purchased at all in all servers. Half a million orders to buy Zen at 500 AD a pop because exploiters were buying out all the Zen from the store.

The ONLY way to remedy the situation is the do a 24 hour rollback on all the servers. Look at the gateway logs, because there were also a few individuals that was using the exploit before it was known to everyone within these past 24 hours.

I understand dealing with the exploiters will take time, it won't happen overnight, but we NEED a 24 hour rollback on all characters. Otherwise, this game will be officially dead.
  • lyssyaralyssyara Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If not wipe, i will open a dispute with PayPal for money back. :(
  • drokadenkkdrokadenkk Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    visinji wrote: »
    Thanks for the response and good morning in sunny Cali!

I think its probably about 99% likely that they will do a full rollback to fridayish. I dont know why people complain about rollbacks that much though. They would refund all real world zen purchases made since then and you would be in exactly the same place you were. Easy nuff.

Turns out f2p mmos are plagued with horrible communities that would rather be angry than try and understand how game economies actually work.

Hopefully this gets cleared up today and we can all get back to playing. Easy enough.
  • giantdoggiantdog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That exploit was going on for at nearly a day. By the time the AH went down, EVERY SINGLE auction had negative values in them. People that posted any item in the AH got absolutely NOTHING for them because if an exploiter hit their auction with the bug, the exploiter could make a billion AD off a single auction while the person who was honest and had nothing to do with it and just wanted to sell their items got absolutely NOTHING for it.

How about all the exploiters that have bought items like cats and mounts and gave them away to people? What about those exploiters that bought said items and asked for gold in exchange?

The economy right now is GONE. ABSOLUTELY GONE. There's people running around with rank 9 runes and Greater runes. A few hours before the AH went down, and even before everything was set to negative values, people were selling their items for TENS of millions of AD.

The Zen market crashed as well. There was no Zen to be purchased at all in all servers. Half a million orders to buy Zen at 500 AD a pop because exploiters were buying out all the Zen from the store.

The ONLY way to remedy the situation is the do a 24 hour rollback on all the servers. Look at the gateway logs, because there were also a few individuals that was using the exploit before it was known to everyone within these past 24 hours.

I understand dealing with the exploiters will take time, it won't happen overnight, but we NEED a 24 hour rollback on all characters. Otherwise, this game will be officially dead.

This exploit has been going on for 3 days now. It has been kept quiet and low key but in the last 24 hours exploded.
  • ganzor123ganzor123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If the economy is not fixed and the duped AD is removed I really can't see myself playing this game anymore. Seeing all my efforts since launch reduced to nothing is just ****ty.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ooinn wrote: »
    I would say people should plan for a minor rollback (to Saturday?). I say this as of 1:47pm EST the servers are still up. No need to take them down to prevent further damage or increase the time needed to sift through logs if you're just going to rollback to a time before the exploit really took off.

Yep of course they could also mass perma ban the pers and return the AD and Zen to the economy, I just wonder what those who are predicting doom are going to say when the sky doesn't fall?
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • manduchessmanduchess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    lyssyara wrote: »
    If not wipe, i will open a dispute with PayPal for money back. :(

They need to wipe or I garuantee they get hit with a class action law suit...All the people who paid money would have a case...They need to wipe and refund ad and zen to purchasers.
  • phillight86phillight86 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013

u understand NOTHING

this exploit is not live since 24 hours. its live since beta release. its only PUPLIC since 24 hours. nothing more.

so no rollback will fix this ****.
  • xblade7703xblade7703 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wow some of u tools need to STFU. they have to fully understand the issue from their side BEFORE They start firing off bans or anything all willy nilly. on a more serious note though i hate to say it but i am leaning more towards a wipe after the last few major issues.