test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Role with it in RP

bman1978bman1978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
Just a few suggestions when it comes to RP

1 when you type /e for the emotes those are for what you are doing not saying.

you can't /e thor looks at zues and tells him to back off. I see this all the time and it bugs me.

2 when in an RP moment role with the story. if some one is acting like an idiot either role with it or ignore him/her.

Thor "whats ur reel name?"

Zues e/ turns to look at Thor
Zues "Hello good sir my name is Zues I am from Bulders Gate"

Thor "you are such ****"

Zues "newb? what is this newb that you speak of?
zues /e looks concerned
zues "is it contagious!?

at this point the other player walks away not having any fun or acts like a moron and you ignore him/her.

3 don't role play for others. make them do things.

its no fun to have a story that you are doing and some one comes in and start rping for you.

Thor /e gets hit by zues
Zues "by the Gods how did that happen my hand must be possessed by some demon!"

4. don't emote things that can kill people

Thor /e chops off zues head
Zues /e headless body quckly runs around looking for the severed head
zues "no to your left! NO YOUR LEFT NOT MY LEFT"
Zues /e body finds the head and places it back on. a flash of light fuses the light back to the body
Zues "i am so glad i bought that head chopping prevention potion from that half orc wizard a few days ago.

I always had fun rping with people who do that stuff anyway

All in all guys when you rp have fun with it. don't control the story but role play with those around you. you will be surprised on how much fun it is and how the story grows in a different but fun direction.

remember just role with it. :D
valor.png
Moonshadow Drow Cleric, Mr. Pickles Human Control Wizard, Ogre Hafling Guardian Fighter
On Dragon Shard @bman78
Post edited by bman1978 on

Comments

• Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think people have different ways of Rping. Though sometimes that conflict with other people. But I do agree. I generally do most of these. I even Rp roll with it with the trolls when they act stupid. Especially on my character called Silk.

I pretty much agree with everything above.
  • Options
    bman1978bman1978 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    is Silk based on the David Eddings character?
    valor.png
    Moonshadow Drow Cleric, Mr. Pickles Human Control Wizard, Ogre Hafling Guardian Fighter
    On Dragon Shard @bman78
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Nope. Original character. I wouldnt know anything about that.

I dont know about that David Eddings character, mines is a ex-gang member thats just a rather foul mouth, flirty and confident thief.
  • Options
    selaralselaral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is a friendly note. You do not need to you /e

Using the ; will provide the same results.

Multiple Personas, only 'One' me
    "Why should one devolve themselves to try and entertain those of a lesser mindset around them?"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    selaral wrote: »

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. though Im way to adjusted to typing /e now for me to switch to ; lol
  • Options
    devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Or, instead you could just ignore people who are trying to ruin your good time and get on with whatever you were doing. There's absolutely no reason to give trolls or people who are interrupting you a moment of your time or to let them take focus away from what you were already doing. This depends heavily upon context of course, but generally, the best thing you can do is not give trolls the attention they crave.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    devoneaux wrote: »
    Or, instead you could just ignore people who are trying to ruin your good time and get on with whatever you were doing. There's absolutely no reason to give trolls or people who are interrupting you a moment of your time or to let them take focus away from what you were already doing. This depends heavily upon context of course, but generally, the best thing you can do is not give trolls the attention they crave.

people who rp tend to be more witty then other people because the level of reading they do. I will be so bold to claim the a vast majority of RP players can with clever writing talk circles around a troll. if they are completely obnoxious i like the good old

/e a magical rift opens and swallows Thor in and nothing he says can be heard.
    /ignore thor@imatroll
    valor.png
    On Dragon Shard @bman78
  • Options
    manathayriamanathayria Member Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I generally ignore and move on. If they're going to troll they're not worth the time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /Channel_Join NW_Legit_Community to run Dungeons without the exploits
  • Options
    mistysummermistysummer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013

Nice, ty I know I will find this useful!

I would just like to add on behalf of some of us that mess up the emotes, well for me anyways. This will be the third game I've played that I have had to learn a new system of rping. First one being NWN1. Sometimes old habits die hard, but doesn't mean we aren't trying.... Just sayin. *Winks*

Oh and one should never feed the trolls!.. hehe
    Showscreation.png

"Blindness is a private matter between a person and the eyes they choose to use. For there are none so blind as those that do not listen dalharil"
  • Options
    selaralselaral Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice, ty I know I will find this useful!

I would just like to add on behalf of some of us that mess up the emotes, well for me anyways. This will be the third game I've played that I have had to learn a new system of rping. First one being NWN1. Sometimes old habits die hard, but doesn't mean we aren't trying.... Just sayin. *Winks*

Oh and one should never feed the trolls!.. hehe
    Yeah, I see plenty of people with em in the start of their emote. It makes me giggle. I was showing people this in CO too. I just remember using it in Cheeta Chat years ago when I did t1 RP. Figured it was brought over and sure enough, it was.

As per trolls, I just ignore them. They get bored and move on if they don't get the attention they want.

"Why should one devolve themselves to try and entertain those of a lesser mindset around them?"
  • Options
    bones8197bones8197 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I see plenty of people with em in the start of their emote. It makes me giggle. I was showing people this in CO too. I just remember using it in Cheeta Chat years ago when I did t1 RP. Figured it was brought over and sure enough, it was.

As per trolls, I just ignore them. They get bored and move on if they don't get the attention they want.

Heya Ama XD. And yea, I am one of the worst about typing em at the start b/c of the switch to ; :P.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bones8197 wrote: »
    Heya Ama XD. And yea, I am one of the worst about typing em at the start b/c of the switch to ; :P.
    Yup, you were totally the one that came to mind!

*points to eyes and then to Bones* Watching you!

• Options
    bones8197bones8197 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh silly Ama I already knew you were watching me XD
  • Options
    lordofscornlordofscorn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Many Roleplayers have their own code and guidelines, and things can often get muddled, but you seem to have covered the basics.

Never take control of another player is the major one. For instance, you can attempt to cut someone's head off, but saying you cut someone's head off just won't cut it. (see what I did there) And some people just outright refuse to roleplay combat situations. It's usually better to whisper someone OOC before such a fight ensues to get a feel for how far one can go. This goes for other things as well besides combat in some cases. For instance, you cannot take or steal from me, unless I allow it; you can only try to succeed. And success will often depend on how well you roleplay/describe the situation to me or you whisper me beforehand OOC telling me your intentions.

One of my other pet peeves is knowing who I am before I even introduce myself. It's okay to greet me, just not by name; though usually I can play this off, it still irritates me. Or knowing where I'm from, or that my parents died, that I once lit my beard on fire, etc. Unless of course, you are a bounty hunter or something that is after me, you shouldn't know anything other than general knowledge and appearance, or hearsay. Your character only knows what your character would know, not what YOU know as a player.

I pretty much ignore idiots or trolls that aren't actually there to roleplay. I just pretend they don't exist. However, idiot and troll roleplayers I will go along with, because roleplaying doesn't need to be serious all the time. I actually like light hearted, comic relief type characters because everyone is always so serious and brooding. I sometimes play these types of characters, but it's not to get on people's nerves and I certainly do not keep bugging people unless my character would do so. And if it's really irritating you (I don't do this intentionally) and I do not notice, just whisper as such OOC to me, and I'll leave you alone.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of rules. I let people roleplay and do what they want outside of the general rules that every roleplayer should be doing out of respect for one another.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I created a character who was afraid of wide open places. its fun to tell people in game that you can't help them because you are afraid to go outside.

I had another character who had a dead rat that he talked to. people got a kick out of roleplaying with a guy who had an imaginary friend. I always find that people tend to have more fun with people who are the comic relief and they will follow along with what ever story they are crafting
    valor.png
    On Dragon Shard @bman78