test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GF How to make him usefull again?

syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hi I noticed there is problem with Guardian Fighter class being useless and i have to say that's true. Got Wizz 9,7 and cleared all dung in game so i know how end game looks and how team should work even on hardest dungeon.
So after talk with my friend who plays GF I did try to think what kind of changes would make GF more usefull. So here is a list of changes that could make that class usefull.

1. Enforced Threat - I would add Delayed stun. After 5 sec of casting that skill all taunted mobs woul be stuned for (depends of skill lvl) 1/2 or 3 sec.
2. Lunging Strike - I would add physic that would make pull all enemies that GF touch on the way to taget with him
3. Terrifying Impact (Daily)- What i would change here is i would make something like wizzard Black Hole pulling all mobs close to you
4. Knights Valor - I would add option that part from dps u take off from your alies would improve your dmg
5. Guarded Assault- While blocking decrease target Mitigation by 10%

Put your own ideas which could support that class.
>>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
Post edited by syfylis on

Comments

• Options
    leshil40leshil40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 157 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I put my GF on the shelf until they are made viable and wanted in groups. They get full CC until death in PvP(Heard of CC DR Cryptic?). They are not wanted or needed in Tier dungeons. It's too bad they are fun to play. The Envy and other guides are a good attempt to help others actually make them viable. However, they are still broken as a class. As full dps geared/Specced you are not as desired still as a TR, CW or cleric in dungeons or pvp.
  • Options
    demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    11k Guardian, 10k CW 10k Cleric.

Stop Cleric Astral seal stack
    Knights Valor, fix it and were good.

Problem Solved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • Options
    imobiusimobius Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    11k Guardian, 10k CW 10k Cleric.

Stop Cleric Astral seal stack
    Knights Valor, fix it and were good.

Problem Solved.

Problems lie deeper than just a few tweaks tbh.
    Considering the only reason why Guardians aren't viable isn't only because of threat. A group setup with Clerics and DDLs can clear everything better and more effciciently.
  • Options
    demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    imobius wrote: »
    Problems lie deeper than just a few tweaks tbh.
    Considering the only reason why Guardians aren't viable isn't only because of threat. A group setup with Clerics and DDLs can clear everything better and more effciciently.

I disagree, Cleared everything but final boss in Never (working on it) with GF,DC,CW,CW,TR. you say better with x2 DC? I say crutch. 1hr 30min Never to Final boss, My friend in another guild takes 2hr's with x2 DC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • Options
    stormganzostormganzo Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, is not a problem of tweaking some skill. The problem is on the very base of the class.

1) Single target attacks: This game is supposed to be "action",so where my sword(or shield) swing, is supposed to hit something. Now for our class the only real source of damage is cleave. The other at will powers are just joke with only a single target(its better if they can all do a sort of conic damage), are just a joke(and most of the encounter are weak too)

2)Guard duration, for normal play guard is fine but for dungeon is just a stupid mechanic. Maybe they have to replace the actual mechanic with a "Guarding time" bar, so you can keep your shield raised for a limited amount of time, regardless the damage you take(20 or 30 seconds, with feats that improve the max time and the recharge, but im not sure if the time duration i proposed is too much, im not a game dev ^^) ,so you can actively manage your guarding time(now you cant manage your guard because the duration is defined by the incoming damage), with the drawback that if you just raise your shield without an incoming attack, you just WASTE your guard.

3)tab skill. Barely useless now, but i have no idea on how improve it. Its just useless compared with other marking powers.

4)marks. As a lot of people said, its better if mark vanish after some second(5 or 10 seconds) instead of vanish after an hit.

5)Revamping Protector(more damage mitigation\aggro generation) and Sentinel tree(more control/aggro generation), its not possible that a defensive class is forced to play only a dps tree to be effetive.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2013
    1.) Cleave
    2.) My guard meter never runs out - I can hold out against epic bosses (yes, at least T2s) indefinitely. Stop dumping STR.
    3.) Don't slot Threatening Rush when you're up against a boss, use Tab to mark distant targets. Use Shield Slam against bosses to keep your guard up.
    4.) Get the feat that makes Marked targets deal -10% damage, largest debuff in the game WITHOUT a cooldown.
    5.) Level up using Conq and switch to Tactics at cap.

I've cleared all the T1 and T2s without a cleric. L2play.
    Guardian Fighter isn't there to force taunt all the mobs and stand in a corner. He specializes in mitigating damage for the entire party whether or not he has aggro. Mark your targets, keep Into the Fray and Knight's Valor up (Knight's Valor - mapwide -50% damage to all teammates, Astral Shield - -40% damage to allies in a tiny area). You won't even notice the damage from Knight's Valor if you're geared halfway decently and running Villain's Menace, which should ALWAYS be active, especially if you're a tactician running KV. When adds come after you and you're on the boss, stunlock them. If you need to break off to bodyguard your cleric, make sure to bring Bull Charge. Use different skills for bosses than you do for trash. Speccing your encounter powers to deal with the situation at hand is a necessity.

Furthermore, clerics are not meant to be Healbots in this game. They wear medium armor and are meant to be able to tank adds on their own.
    The GF will NEVER be able to hold every enemy on the map standing still in a corner, and frankly, I'm glad, because I've played that boring force intimidate style in EVERY OTHER MMO.
    You will have to move around. You will have to stunlock targets you can't force to aggro you. You will have to reorganize your skill bar to stay on top of things.
  • Options
    stormganzostormganzo Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well dear ranncore, maybe i have to learn to play, and maybe you have to learn to be less arrogant.

Im just pointing what for me and for what i see on this game is broken. I play causal i dont have an organized group so i just play with pugs (and dont tell me that you have cleared t2 dungeons without a cleric on a pug party, because you are just trolling)

I agree on the last part of your reply, but just looking on the forum, Im not the only one that have notice problems with the fighter class, compared with the others. So:

1)or we are all idiots that are uncapable to judge something, and you are the god of gaming.
    2)or maybe there is some problems with the class, and just because you can play well with your group or with your gaming experience, you tell to us that we are only whining idiots.

in any case i dont care too much, i wrote my opinion about what class need and i dont want to continue with this OT.
    Peace.
  • Options
    bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well the bigger contributor to this is the way threat works; healers getting threat off the bat because of how Astral Seal works means that they are getting chased all the time. GF's have tools to deal with this.... on 10+ second cooldowns. I have seen 2 GF's what play well enough that they can actually tank. I've probably played with around 40-50 tanks at this point.

The fact is that GF's are not given the tools for an average player to be able to tank; this is problem number one. The Astral Shield would not be used nearly as much if tanks didn't have such a hard time holding aggro.

Astral Shield and the way it works is fine, I have wiped with 2 blue shields up before; its not overpowered in pvp because of the way CC works, as it is a fixed location on the ground one CW can wipe out a cleric with a simple repel and force choke combo.

The issue is not shield; it is threat; or more precisely, the long cooldown on tank threat generators; my suggestion is a passive that creates a 60 yard bubble around a GF that constantly generates more threat based on the amount of healing done from the party.

if a heal for 100 causes 100 threat to the cleric, then have it also cause 125 threat for the GF. If a CW uses a pot for 8000, then have that be a 1.25 multiplier for threat to the tank.

This would make the tank become more about surviving fights and (for skillful and geared players) damage.

changing Astral shield is a bad idea; fix the real problem first.
    26.jpg
  • Options
    mmartine1mmartine1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    1.) Cleave
    2.) My guard meter never runs out - I can hold out against epic bosses (yes, at least T2s) indefinitely. Stop dumping STR.
    3.) Don't slot Threatening Rush when you're up against a boss, use Tab to mark distant targets. Use Shield Slam against bosses to keep your guard up.
    4.) Get the feat that makes Marked targets deal -10% damage, largest debuff in the game WITHOUT a cooldown.
    5.) Level up using Conq and switch to Tactics at cap.

I've cleared all the T1 and T2s without a cleric. L2play.
    Guardian Fighter isn't there to force taunt all the mobs and stand in a corner. He specializes in mitigating damage for the entire party whether or not he has aggro. Mark your targets, keep Into the Fray and Knight's Valor up (Knight's Valor - mapwide -50% damage to all teammates, Astral Shield - -40% damage to allies in a tiny area). You won't even notice the damage from Knight's Valor if you're geared halfway decently and running Villain's Menace, which should ALWAYS be active, especially if you're a tactician running KV. When adds come after you and you're on the boss, stunlock them. If you need to break off to bodyguard your cleric, make sure to bring Bull Charge. Use different skills for bosses than you do for trash. Speccing your encounter powers to deal with the situation at hand is a necessity.

Furthermore, clerics are not meant to be Healbots in this game. They wear medium armor and are meant to be able to tank adds on their own.
    The GF will NEVER be able to hold every enemy on the map standing still in a corner, and frankly, I'm glad, because I've played that boring force intimidate style in EVERY OTHER MMO.
    You will have to move around. You will have to stunlock targets you can't force to aggro you. You will have to reorganize your skill bar to stay on top of things.

*slow clap*

Bravo, sir. This whole thing reminds me of how everyone was whining about how impossibly difficult Guild Wars 2's dungeons were when it first launched because the players were trying to play it like it was WoW instead of learning the GW2 paradigm. It's the same here, and the fact that certain classes aren't forced on you in the dungeon finder is a big indicator of that to me. I freakin' LOVE Guardian Fighter and will wait through any balancing that needs to happen and know that eventually good players (not to be confused with exploiters) will know what's what. Having said that, I confess I would not feel too bad about disallowing blue circles to stack.