test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry is a "Tacked on" poor modding tool.

2»

Comments

• tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's really a quite humbling number, honestly. It's such a large number that it's hard to understand just how many plays that is.
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    It's really a quite humbling number, honestly. It's such a large number that it's hard to understand just how many plays that is.

Yep, you're somewhat of a Neverwinter celebrity now. Not only is your map popular, you've grown quite a reputation here on the forums as well. Congrats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    watever2 wrote: »
    I have been modding and making indy games for about 20 years and

hmmm 2013 - 20 = 1993.

The original Civilization came out in 1991 then Sid Meier's CivNet came out in 93... and you think the foundry is worse than modding that? oookkkaaayyy?

The MechWarrior 4 allowed players to mod... and it was.... trash... that came out on November 24, 2000. Worse than this?

ooookkkkaaaayyyyy?

Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures also allowed you to mod...and you think that is better than this?

I can say okay again... add a few letters... but I think you get my point.
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone who thinks even the most popular Foundries getting as much play as official content is silly. Since the xp/loot nerf there's even less reason to play Foundry than before for most people.

A single quest at level 20 is probably getting played less than the most popular foundry quest... IMHO.

Why?

That foundry quest allows you to complete a daily that gives you an uber reward within a few minutes... and then you do it during the foundry power hour... you get more of a reward.

REWARDS and path of least resistance drive casual players to play something or not. However, I do not aim for casual players... i aim for a different audience. If that audience is smaller... so be it...

Ultimately speaking, the larger mindless "I WANT TO LEVEL TO 60 in 1 day and get all the gear in 2 days so i can quit within 4 days." is not the type of audience i want to be associated with.
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I never thought of the Foundry as a modding tool. More like a "make your own adventure" novel where you can change the picture on the cover.
  • coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    zovya wrote: »
    I never thought of the Foundry as a modding tool. More like a "make your own adventure" novel where you can change the picture on the cover.

Yep... THIS!
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I can most certainly say a lot of the more experienced foundry authors, some of which are in this thread, have been able to put up top quality content which is in many ways far superior to the main story arc.

This is no light feat and certainly not something they did overnight.
    The Foundry is not perfect but it rivals the Aurora Toolset in many ways and even some of the more irritating limitations are actually nothing new. I spent many a day dealing with the NWN Toolsets and if I wanted to test anything I had to load the game and then go to the spot and test the content. Sure the whole game was loaded everytime I tested it but the ability to simply right click and preview from a certain point with kill commands, though in some cases is limited, is still a step better than the Aurora setup.

The main issue which needs some more fine tuning is how to reward players and that's still far from finalized. Ten years from now I expect the developers will still be tweaking Foundry rewards to be better without causing massive amounts of exploitation.

The foundry really doesn't allow you to "modify" the game though. It's merely a tool to add to the game and if it was as bad as you state people like Tilt and Izatar wouldn't be creating great content like they do.
  • brakkish1brakkish1 Member, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone who thinks even the most popular Foundries getting as much play as official content is silly. Since the xp/loot nerf there's even less reason to play Foundry than before for most people.
    This

10 char
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can most certainly say a lot of the more experienced foundry authors, some of which are in this thread, have been able to put up top quality content which is in many ways far superior to the main story arc.

This is no light feat and certainly not something they did overnight.
    The Foundry is not perfect but it rivals the Aurora Toolset in many ways and even some of the more irritating limitations are actually nothing new. I spent many a day dealing with the NWN Toolsets and if I wanted to test anything I had to load the game and then go to the spot and test the content. Sure the whole game was loaded everytime I tested it but the ability to simply right click and preview from a certain point with kill commands, though in some cases is limited, is still a step better than the Aurora setup.

The main issue which needs some more fine tuning is how to reward players and that's still far from finalized. Ten years from now I expect the developers will still be tweaking Foundry rewards to be better without causing massive amounts of exploitation.

The foundry really doesn't allow you to "modify" the game though. It's merely a tool to add to the game and if it was as bad as you state people like Tilt and Izatar wouldn't be creating great content like they do.

Player rewards will probably always be a sore spot, from recent experience, it can be highly abused to the benefit of players/guilds and disruptive to the the game itself. I expect the main gripes to be along the lines of the following:
    1)cannot set what loads on a particular NPC
    2)Cannot modify stats on a particular NPC
    3)Always required to have an active internet connection to edit projects
    4)cant set drop rates or loot tables
    5)Cant push/pull mesh data
    6)cannot create a branched mission in the storyboard
    7)all the other gripes I haven't thought up to put in this listing.

Most of these, I doubt we will ever see a change on, and if we do, well then things will get real interesting real quick. The toolset (at least theoretically) is an evolving thing that will see additions over time. You could always head over to Star Trek Online, if you want to really know how good you have it though ;)
  • xmastervellesxxmastervellesx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    medullan wrote: »
    Custom user created content and the Neverwinter name are supposed to be synonymous. If Cryptic and PWE don't fix this they will lose their fanbase. Without the die hard fans that have been following this line since Baldurs Gate and Icewindale this game has no chance of succeeding.

Who says Neverwinter and user created content are synonymous? Neverwinter is just a town, just like Baulder's Gate. They are settings and places to tell a story from, that's all. And the only "hardcore" fans I've found that don't love this game are the ones who are still stuck in 2nd edition and can't move on with their lives and accept change.

That there even is a foundry for an MMO is amazing, they could have done none of that and still had a great game. I haven't had this much fun in a MMO since Vanilla WoW, or FF11 (before I realized how horrible losing xp is when you die).
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gazza126 wrote: »
    NWN 1 and 2 arn't technically MMORPG's so there irrelevant to this conversation.
    Now name 2 other MMO's which are moddable (and aren't cryptic games).
    And actually alot of the people playing now are D&D players. seriously most of the conversations i see in general are about D&D and the only reason i can see most of them quitting(and not spending money cause everyone knows alot of D&D players spend alooottt of money) is if a 2nd edition mmo comes out. but as i can't see that happening in the near future i think they'll probably stick for awhile.
    so what 'indy games' have you made?

True, true...
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)