test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Community FAQ] Tips, Manuals, Tutorials, & Bugs

Comments

• rathenau15rathenau15 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    It might not a frequently asked one but I do have a couple:

-Are custom items and the five basic skills the only requirements you can set? What I'd like to know is if there is a variable for a specific class, level range or ability score you can use as a requirement?

-Is there a way to incorporate a chance factor in anything? A random roll perhaps, or a way to implement semi complex algorithms?

-Is there an easy way to make NPC's flee from enemies without replacing them with a timid behaviour NPC? Or looking at it the other way around; can you make sure enemies never attack an NPC? And for that matter is there a trigger that can kill an NPC specifically when it is attacked?

-Can you use “either/or” logic in stead of the seemingly prevalent “and” logic requirement?
  • coanunncoanunn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 368 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rathenau15 wrote: »
    It might not a frequently asked one but I do have a couple:

-Are custom items and the five basic skills the only requirements you can set? What I'd like to know is if there is a variable for a specific class, level range or ability score you can use as a requirement?

-Is there a way to incorporate a chance factor in anything? A random roll perhaps, or a way to implement semi complex algorithms?

-Is there an easy way to make NPC's flee from enemies without replacing them with a timid behaviour NPC? Or looking at it the other way around; can you make sure enemies never attack an NPC? And for that matter is there a trigger that can kill an NPC specifically when it is attacked?

-Can you use “either/or” logic in stead of the seemingly prevalent “and” logic requirement?

1 - Those are infact the only options currently available. I have been dying to put in skill and ability tests since that is the bread and butter for D&D but it's just not built in yet or may never be there.

2 - Yes but frankly it would take so much work on your part that I would say no. As a programmer I've seen a few ways to make it work with the logic structure that is in place but it is VERY heavy handed and hack jobish. An example would be two invisible clicky's next to each other, each with one outcome on them, the player sees a clicky and clicks but doesn't "know" there are two and that the one they happen to click on determines what happens.

3 -I am not sure but I thought there was an afraid of player option under behaviors for encounters. That said frankly what you are wanting to do is out of scope of the current tool. It requires a lot more scripting than they are prepared to let author's do in the Foundry or it requires a DM AI to determine when the monster would fight back, when a coup de grace is appropriate, etc. Honestly you can fake a lot of things but actual logic driven scripting is out of scope so having a monster be friendly and freightened until attacked could currently only be done with an NPC version that can be talked to and on a "attack" dialog prompt exits conversation, spawns the encounter, despawns the npc, and initiates combat. Not a bad option but not the same thing you are looking for from the sound of it.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • aggropotatoaggropotato Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Another FAQ: Are NPC patrol speeds working?

Answer: At the moment they're not. NPCs will trot along at the same pace no matter what number you enter in the patrolling speed field. It was working before, but I believe it was patched out fairly recently. No ETA of when it'll be patched back.
    JtuEMvw.jpg
  • aggropotatoaggropotato Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Bug: only encounters that are based off animals will work with a reskinned animal costume. So spiders or wolves pretty much. This is because the red tells and attack animations do not work with the animal costume.

Thanks, this is a good one. When you mention wolves, are you referring to the werewolf encounters?

I'm using reskinned zombies as 'wolves', don't seem to work very well for attack animations.
    JtuEMvw.jpg
  • rathenau15rathenau15 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for the swift and thorough answers Coanunn, although you have just crushed my hopes and dreams.
    edited May 2013
    rathenau15 wrote: »
    Thank you for the swift and thorough answers Coanunn, although you have just crushed my hopes and dreams.

Don't be disheartened! I find that part of the challenge is to working around the limitations :)
    JtuEMvw.jpg
  • zogvarnokazogvarnoka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Something I learned today is the prefab teleporters (dungeon entrance, cave entrance, etc.) do not line up right and constantly change the direction they are facing. I spent 2 hours trying to get one side of the teleporter facing the right way.
    Check the map. Rotate a few degrees. Test play and its done 45-60 degree turn. Try again and now its done a 180 when I at most turned it 15-20 degrees. And yes I checked to make sure the snap to grid/degree was off.
    This made it impossible to get them in the correct position. Its best to just use the teleport plane or the teleport orb and create your own setting around it.
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
    My first installment in the Rise of Shadovar Campaign.
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zogvarnoka wrote: »
    Something I learned today is the prefab teleporters (dungeon entrance, cave entrance, etc.) do not line up right and constantly change the direction they are facing. I spent 2 hours trying to get one side of the teleporter facing the right way.
    Check the map. Rotate a few degrees. Test play and its done 45-60 degree turn. Try again and now its done a 180 when I at most turned it 15-20 degrees. And yes I checked to make sure the snap to grid/degree was off.
    This made it impossible to get them in the correct position. Its best to just use the teleport plane or the teleport orb and create your own setting around it.

This is another one I need to add to the FAQ. Here's a link that describes the math involved in getting it right.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?171591-Teleporters-rotation-madness-solved
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Zovya. once again you come through.
    Thing is though I was manually turning it detail mode and not using the degree/radian input at all. If this is what happens when turning those objects it means that when in detail mode you are not actually turning the object but giving it a rough estimation in degrees that.... never mind it doesn't matter.

Bottom line is they need to fix it hehe :)
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
  • yospeckyospeck Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Anyone making their own landmasses or cave networks (using the larger rock components) will know it can be a pain to get something in the right place in the Foundry editor. I've started placing a brazier at my spawn location and I ctrl+x Cut it while patrolling looking for errors. When I find one I Ctrl+v Paste the brazier at the location so I can more accurately drop the required detail in place, or alternatively select the brazier and change the item in the editor.

When working on my underground networks this has been really helpful for creating ledges and covering up gaps/places people can get stuck.
    edited May 2013
    Oh good idea.

Another one for doing places like that is to carry around a rope bridge for reaching high places/ledges without having to exit 3d mode. You can just chain cut/paste them and angle them to get where you want to be.
    Removing the Grey Mask
    NW-DJ56XFK6G
  • darkaninddarkanind Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 72
    edited May 2013
    Bug: only encounters that are based off animals will work with a reskinned animal costume. So spiders or wolves pretty much. This is because the red tells and attack animations do not work with the animal costume.

I just tried spider encounter and reskinned it as a bear, still no attack animation. Also, there's no wolf encounters.
  • kairylkairyl Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just have two questions. Does anyone know if you can play your own content in the foundry? How long does I normally take for a quest go live after it has been published?
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kairyl wrote: »
    I just have two questions. Does anyone know if you can play your own content in the foundry? How long does I normally take for a quest go live after it has been published?

You can play your own quest, you can't rate it however. The other question is answered on the first post of this thread.

How long till my quest is live when I publish it?
    When you publish your quest, the editor will indicate when publishing is complete. It is live on the public server at that time. However, you cannot search for the quest by title for a while. You can search for it by author's @handle or the quest short code (NW-XXXXXXXX)
    edited May 2013
    kairyl wrote: »

I caution you to be very careful with this though.. I can play through my quest in under 1/3rd the time a player would take to do it, and each time you do it reduces the average play time. I have taken to only playing mine only so much as is needed to test after each content update I do and each time I make sure to give myself a time padding as if I was actually exploring or solving things rather than knowing it by heart. I've also taken to having friends test it for me and even have sent requests to people via the forums that I respect to ask them to test it as well. Average play time makes a HUGE difference in rewards, whether it's eligible for the daily and such and thus playing your own content knowing all the secrets can hurt you in the end.
    Do you crave a good old fashioned dungeon crawl? One where the dungeon tells it's own story? The Dungeon Delves campaign is just for you! Start with my first release: NW-DQF4T7QYH Any cave can lead to adventure!
  • kairylkairyl Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I saw that but every time I try to search @handle or the code it fails to find it. I have checked to make sure it was published and the editor says it is.
    edited May 2013
    There could be a bug. You may also have to republish. Someone noticed a rollback since the servers came back up.
  • darkenedeye1fdarkenedeye1f Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    darkanind wrote: »
    I just tried spider encounter and reskinned it as a bear, still no attack animation. Also, there's no wolf encounters.
    The wolves are part of the werewolf set. There is only one that is just wolves I think and there are 3 wolves in it. Alternatively you have spiderlings or deathjump spiders. However they only seem to work with some animal skins even then... not sure if its related to mount skins.
    edited May 2013
    The wolves are part of the werewolf set. There is only one that is just wolves I think and there are 3 wolves in it. Alternatively you have spiderlings or deathjump spiders. However they only seem to work with some animal skins even then... not sure if its related to mount skins.

Yeah, it's the werewolf easy melee set.
    JtuEMvw.jpg
  • lunchtimenowlunchtimenow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Bookmarked.

Thanks Zovya for compiling these amazing resources into one easy to access space.

Additionally for mouse freezes, I found this preventative solution from forien69:
    forien69 wrote: »
    About disappearing mouse - drag items SLOWLY from library. That happens only if you quick-draw them.

This has worked for me every time. I click and hold for a second on the component I want to drag in, and drag it slowly initially.
    Y9KrNPv.jpg4MEPTcf.jpg
    NW-DSEGBOHCC & NW-DKSTDEHFF @lunchtimenow
    edited May 2013
    When you get into the large quests, everything is slow, clicking, dragging. Any change sometimes takes seconds. Hit the save button and go grab a drink.
    edited May 2013
    Made some FAQing updates.
    edited May 2013
    Quick question: is there any way to create automatically respawning mobs?

From my limited experience, I'd say no?
    JtuEMvw.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Once an encounter is defeated, the system no longer recognizes them. You can program a new set to spawn when they die however.
    edited May 2013
    zovya wrote: »
    Once an encounter is defeated, the system no longer recognizes them. You can program a new set to spawn when they die however.

You see this in several quests including mine in order to hand boss fights. You set visibility on the "new" encounter to key on "component completed" to the mob that needs to die to trigger it. If you need a "respawn time" the only way I have found to make that work is spawn them some place else with a one way patrol to that spot that delays their appearance. The other thing I've seen for respawns was a map where the player MIGHT pass a certain point multiple times and it would spawn mobs along their path. The one this was done with was very linear and as such it worked well but unless you can guarantee the player will step there when you want them to it doesn't work so well.
    edited May 2013
    A bump with benefits.
  • lunchtimenowlunchtimenow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Best resource. Bookmark it.

When's a good time to request a sticky?
    Y9KrNPv.jpg4MEPTcf.jpg
    NW-DSEGBOHCC & NW-DKSTDEHFF @lunchtimenow
    edited May 2013
    I think they said "they'ren't" doing anymore stickies. Too many already.
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    WT Fudge is roll, pitch, yaw?
    YawPitchRoll.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Sassy Bump
This discussion has been closed.