test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Improve the Pve of Neverwinter!

crafkercrafker Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hello my name is Crafker.

And i have some great idea's how to improve the Pve combat of neverwinter.
Me and my friend Djlovedrop have been discussing how we could improve the Pve.
And we were thinking of some harder TACTICAL boss fights for example, instead of just having a boss
and spawning alot of adds to make it " hard ".
What we were thinking was, to get tactics into this game, something like. Everytime the boss goes down with 25% hp, he will go into a different phase, with some new abilities, that you HAVE to dodge, or where you need the great teamwork to do the boss.

Honestly the Pve gets boring because of the way bosses is made.

I hope someone from the Perfectworld staff will see this, please support this Thread if you agree.
comment with your thougths about the idea's.
Thanks and have a nice day!
Post edited by crafker on

Comments

• asgardgamingasgardgaming Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    like World of Warcraft :D
  • crafkercrafker Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Exactly! thats my thougths, i dont want the game to be like World of Warcraft, because this game already have some skilled Pve combats. But i want it to be harder.

There is way more fun in a tactical boss fight, than killing the mobs and boss, dodging a few skills.
  • mrkaptainkrunkmrkaptainkrunk Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have some great ideas man! They should bring you in on a few things to help with the PvE!
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You forgot 1 thing.

What would damage players then?

Imagine any boss without adds.

ANY.

What have we got? An ogre mob. Thats it. Only mentals can't dodge red areas and all your tactics gets stripped to the current bosses just without adds. With how combat and mobs are designed I don't really see how it would be done.

@asgardgaming
    Die in a fire.
  • stagonokratorasstagonokratoras Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this and some class balance (personally I'd like to see a better way to use my GF) and I's be really happy with NW!!!
    edited May 2013
    @Lerdocix Im not saying there should be no adds, im just saying the adds should not be the only "hard thing" about the fight. I just think its to simple, because almost every fight looks like eachother.
    edited May 2013
    @Stagonokratoras Yeh, atm there is some sort of aggro problems in the game, which makes it hard for the GF to do the job they are made for. To tank, if they could fix that it would make some sort of "meta" in this game also.
  • ichorsichors Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The boss fights are terrible at the moment, They pretty much all consist of spawn adds to be pushed off a ledge or pulled together to Aoe down the boss mechanics are non existent its just like fighting a Elite mob that can spawn adds.

The bosses just don’t seem to have the "Boss" feel to them especially with all the cheap tactics and exploits people use to do them.
    It would be nice like you said if bosses did have phases or at least had some kind of ability other than "Mass Spawn Adds".

Idk were this skilled pve in this game is you mention the only instance I haven’t done is castle Never, so maybe its there but even if it is that’s 1 dungeon from all of them...
    edited May 2013
    @Ichors I believe the skills in the Pve Combat comes from your Spell setup, you can theory craft, try out different stuff to get the most dmg possible, or cc, or healing or whatever you are doing. What i mean is. You can make combo's and you need to be fast thinking compared to other MMO games.

But thats just my opinion, not saying you have to agree with that.
  • horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    A lot of these fights have tons of AOE circles that I am constantly dodging, for melees it's quite the task sometimes. I reckon some call that tactics. I would say bordering ludicrous at times.
    edited May 2013
    @Horrorscope666 i would not call it a tactic to dodge stuff, it is something you have done since you started that the game, its just basic game knowledge
    edited May 2013
    @crafker ok thought u meant the pve encounters actually took skill.
    But setting up ur spells, theorycrafting is in every game ive played so its not really unique to this.

Not saying that the game is bad it has potential it just feels meh at the moment like no actual effort was put in to them just stick loads of adds in done.

same just my opinion:)
    edited May 2013
    @Ichors Just remember, its still a Beta. Its time for improvement now! it will only get better, i promise you that ! :)
    edited May 2013
    I hope so :)
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What we were thinking was, to get tactics into this game, something like. Everytime the boss goes down with 25% hp, he will go into a different phase, with some new abilities, that you HAVE to dodge, or where you need the great teamwork to do the boss.

Meh, that's what got me bored with WoW. Get DBM, do what it says when, sleep through boss fights. Never been a fan of Simon Says of Death boss fights. In D&D, bosses (and even the whole idea of "boss fights" don't really exist) rarely have "phases", unless you count bloodied for some, they have skills they use, and attack who they want. There was also nothing i remember of "aggro" being in D&D, the head baddie went after who they wanted.

I'd personally love it if someone found a way for bosses in MMOs to learn from fights, so tactics would have to change, you couldn't just do the same every time. Boss sees too many healers, goes for them, as they will keep the damage dealers up. That sort of thing. I know the AI isn't even close to that yet, but can you imagine a raid boss or whatever that seems smart enough to be controlled by a person? I remember an interview with a WoW dev, when someone asked why raid bosses aren't controlled by a dev every so often, and they replied that the fight would be short, they would kill all the healers first, then dps, and then tanks.
    edited May 2013
    @tfangel I've read and understood what you are telling me, im not saying this game should be like WoW, i say the Boss fights should get more complicated than spawning tons of adds and doing a little AoE attack now sometimes. Something harder, i want a challange, not the same over and over again in every single dungeon. But that thing about Boss being controled by a dev, sounds amazing. I would love to try that kind of fight^^

The meaning of this thread is to support the improvement of the game by handing out idea's to the dev's. Just want it to be more complicated and more difficult.
  • ikancastikancast Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm only level 42, but just left a skirmish with that big poison dragon in the jungle. Unless these instances are changed, I'm done with the group aspect of this game. The last 2 dungeons and then this skirmish have just been stupid boss fights with trying to see how many adds you can deal with at once. I'm done with it, and it isn't the way to make a successful f2p game in my opinion. Also, if it is just going to be a ****fest at the end of the dungeon, don't make it 45 minutes to get to the boss with mindless trash the whole way. It is such a borefest to get to the boss and then I spend countless failures before giving up on it and the experience off the trash makes it a waste of time compared to questing.
  • diedel443diedel443 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ikancast wrote: »
    I'm only level 42, but just left a skirmish with that big poison dragon in the jungle. Unless these instances are changed, I'm done with the group aspect of this game. The last 2 dungeons and then this skirmish have just been stupid boss fights with trying to see how many adds you can deal with at once. I'm done with it, and it isn't the way to make a successful f2p game in my opinion. Also, if it is just going to be a ****fest at the end of the dungeon, don't make it 45 minutes to get to the boss with mindless trash the whole way. It is such a borefest to get to the boss and then I spend countless failures before giving up on it and the experience off the trash makes it a waste of time compared to questing.

Maybe we have been in the same try.

Honestly the whole PvE is boring me to death already. Every "boss" fight, be it solo, skirmish or dungeon, is just the boss spamming AoEs around the room while tons of adds spawn endlessly. Sadly this seems to be the whole direction for PvE content, i presume copy&paste was far easier than designing real content. Most other MMOs get boring quite fast, there is just only so much different stuff you can implement into the game, but NW absolutely beats them all with the laziest content design i have ever seen.

The vile dragon is especially "fun" at the point where you get the two elite mystics that out-heal any damage we could do to them.

I guess i will get to 60 in our 2-3 player team and never touch NW again, unless cryptic decides to patch actual content into the game.
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    crafker wrote: »
    @Lerdocix Im not saying there should be no adds, im just saying the adds should not be the only "hard thing" about the fight. I just think its to simple, because almost every fight looks like eachother.

I too wouldn't mind less emphasis on adds and more on actually fighting the boss, but they seem to like the combo of healer, rogue tanking and killing the boss and everyone else managing the adds.

I just don't see it happening.
  • dragonslayr666dragonslayr666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    crafker wrote: »
    @Ichors Just remember, its still a Beta. Its time for improvement now! it will only get better, i promise you that ! :)

cant call it beta when the game already accepts cash shop purchases and there will be no character wipe. calling it open beta is a lame attempt to protect themselves from people pointing out whats wrong with this game.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cant call it beta when the game already accepts cash shop purchases and there will be no character wipe. calling it open beta is a lame attempt to protect themselves from people pointing out whats wrong with this game.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson says it's in beta. D'Brickashaw Ferguson > you.
  • grimwolf512grimwolf512 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I admit I stopped taking dungeons seriously since Mad Dragon. The last bosses are way to hard for a pug group which is still not balance due to classes not being balanced. I spend more gold on potions in ONE dungeon than in any other part of the game. And I am a cleric but I have that stupid -40% to my own healing of myself. I don't mind adds but balance the fight. This is a dungeon not a raid!