test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This game is already being destroyed.

Comments

• spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    F2P is what game companies do when they realize they're not making as obscene of a profit as they used to, and decide to make short sighted decisions that increase revenue at the expense of the player base. Eventually, the player base leaves to the point where they just shut it down.

That is not the only F2P model, of course. Neverwinter is a different animal all together. But most subscription games end up being F2P eventually. You could say the F2P conversion is the beginning of the end, although there are companies that are able to milk it for years. It's still a profit, after all. Just not as obscene of a profit.

Games like SWTOR will probably be around for years to come. That's where the franchise name comes into play. Neverwinter could have been a longer term cash cow before making the F2P conversion. They went with instant money though, which is unsurprising given the development process for this game.

Heck, that's why so many F2P conversions still offer subscriptions for game play while selling cosmetic only items in their cash store. People are already invested, and are willing to shell out a fraction of the cost of their subscription on 'pretty' items.

Neverwinters store is fine if you only ever intend on running one character. You aren't buying a game in the cash shop, you're buying a functioning character. For $60 bucks you get one character with most of the things you'd expect from a new release game. It's just that you continue paying more real money for basic quality of life things, such as respec's. Sure you can game the currency, that's fine, but then you're working just to play. If you like Neverwinter, you're probably the type to pay $60 bucks a month on Neverwinter.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • identifiedgodidentifiedgod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yea micropayment...pay for win will destroy this game very soon. I will start Marvel Heroes :) there is only cometics micro payments ;O). Neverwinter... macro-payments ;O).
  • jaxshroomjaxshroom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    what would u get with a sub ? what if it is sub game there is no bugs, exploits, stupid people and similar ? its the same just f2p is better :) game will probably get better in time, its still young :) its nice f2p model cuz u can do everything for free, faster if u like the game and pay some, which u dont need :P
  • ayamataayamata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 290 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    All of which can be cured by paying $15 a month to get access to everything. Unlike NWN, where you are stuck paying $40 for one item.

Exactly.
    I always get called an elitist when I prefer P2P over F2P.
    I don't want to pay a sub for a game I like to have the upper hand; but solely because I want to enjoy a game that doesn't revolve around it's Cash Shop and that isn't flooded with RMT's/Bots/Br's.
    It's that simple.

Before TERA released it's F2P model, it was outstanding.
    The economy was fairly balanced, the community was decent, the Cash Shop didn't have "P2W" items.
    It was just enjoyable to say the least.

I much rather pay a subscription for something I enjoy so it doesn't become tainted with such negative elements.
    lunapic_136818015258135_1.gif
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fair enough, it's all subjective anyway, but yes I found their model to be utterly disgraceful.

You're far from the only one who thought LOTRO's model was disgraceful.
    On top of that, the way they changed the game to be more solo friendly turned it into a Massively Singleplayer snoozefest until endgame

All I can say is that the Mines Of Moria is the single best contested dungeon I've ever seen -- it blows everything I've ever seen even from EQ1 out of the water.
    EQ2 wouldn't let you equip rare items without paying.

$.50 per item, at most. If you're smart, you buy Station Cash cards, then stash them until $OE runs one of their many "double SC weekends," then profit.

Like I said: I spent $60, at most, in a year ... $40 of which went on an expac.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Imagine how many ppl did the $200 and $60 founder promo package. That's already profits made. Cash shop is just icing on the top.
  • inexgravinexgrav Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    solution: wipe wipe wipe
    pukmp.jpg
  • jazzneojazzneo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    jaxshroom wrote: »
    what would u get with a sub ? what if it is sub game there is no bugs, exploits, stupid people and similar ? its the same just f2p is better :) game will probably get better in time, its still young :) its nice f2p model cuz u can do everything for free, faster if u like the game and pay some, which u dont need :P

there allway bugs in sub games look up some video hell i do for you

Ulimta Online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hRHwhNDeNs

Wow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpOp18cfSlw

Eeverquest -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kclPns6Y_VY
  • ayamataayamata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 290 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Imagine how many ppl did the $200 and $60 founder promo package. That's already profits made. Cash shop is just icing on the top.

I bought both of them, and I just now completed getting my full Drake T2 gear.
    It's kinda sad to see that the same gear can be obtained from the AH now.
    Why play the game like it's meant to be played when you can just buy the gear?
    Makes no sense to me.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    inexgrav wrote: »
    solution: wipe wipe wipe

Not gonna happen.
    edited May 2013
    solution: Remove Auction house

Fix your error
    edited May 2013
    ayamata wrote: »
    Makes no sense to me.

It's due to exploit not being fixed promptly.
    edited May 2013
    Makes no sense to me.

hmmm you should use your head before buying things
  • flayedawgflayedawg Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I always get called an elitist when I prefer P2P over F2P.

But not for any good reason, because a statement of PREFERENCE is very different from an ASSERTION OF FACT. But, as you imply, too many Internet tools can't get that through their heads.

There's nothing wrong with preferring one model over the other; the only thing "wrong" IMO is when fans of either side begin personally attacking those of the other.

Game on.
    Fare you well
    Let your life proceed by its own designs
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine ...
    edited May 2013
    flayedawg wrote: »
    But not for any good reason, because a statement of PREFERENCE is very different from an ASSERTION OF FACT. But, as you imply, too many Internet tools can't get that through their heads.

There's nothing wrong with preferring one model over the other; the only thing "wrong" IMO is when fans of either side begin personally attacking those of the other.

Game on.

Aweh thanks ! :')

Cheers!~
    edited May 2013
    jazzneo wrote: »
    hmmm you should use your head before buying things

I didn't buy those items though.
    I actually ran the dungeons to get the coins, LOL.
    Thus saving my AD for future expansions. (that is, if this game doesn't continue to go up in flames.)
  • jaymadiv#8056 jaymadiv Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lollie wrote: »
    f2p games are disposable games. Only good for playing when your subscription game bores you.

or when you fail to pay your subscription and your subscription game locks you out.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At the end of the day we all make informed decisions on if this is our type of game or not then we either leave or hang on the forums sixteen hours a day making snarky comments. So far for me the only negative thing about Neverwinter is the companion AI/lack of customization and the agenda based forum noise.

Hopefully one day both issues will be taken care of.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited May 2013
    I didn't buy those items though.
    I actually ran the dungeons to get the coins, LOL.
    Thus saving my AD for future expansions. (that is, if this game doesn't continue to go up in flames.)

Seriously the pirate exploit should have gotten hot fixed like a week ago. They are continuing to let the exploit exist. Hence the AH is flooded with cheap epics.
    edited May 2013
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's just a matter of opinion. If you like only playing one character, and you have lots of money cluttering up your house, and only like to play a couple hours of a casual play a week than Neverwinter is undoubtedly a good spend for you.

If you like playing different characters, challenging gameplay, and having the entire game 'unlocked' all the time for all your characters then a subscription is probably better.

Personally, I feel like I got more bang for my buck in my years of City of Heroes subscription than I've ever managed to get out of a F2P title. I spent easily $400 dollars on that game over the three or so years I played it. This is before it went F2P and died completely.

I spent roughly $200 dollars on Tera, no regrets there. As a matter of fact, I'm a founder there and still have it installed. As a reward for preordering and playing before it went F2P, I have zero restrictions. (They'll probably go out of business on that one though...)

Lord knows how much I spent on DDO, I honestly don't know. Never felt like I was being extorted, they just offered things that I wanted at a reasonable cost. Their F2P model is probably the best I've had yet, besides Tera. If the graphics weren't so dated and the content so thoroughly memorized, I'd probably still be playing DDO today.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • gimpinatorgimpinator Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    Snip

It's an exploit, not an example of pay to win. Good catch.
    edited May 2013

is that the GF exploit everyone is talking about ?
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Be gone, peasant.

___rofl___
  • mattplexmattplex Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    SWTOR is the WORST.
    They charge you a sub AND force you to buy XP boosters because their content won't let you level to cap.

I like sub-based games with no microtransactions.
    FF14, here I come!
    edited May 2013
    is that the GF exploit everyone is talking about ?

y, one hit
    pukmp.jpg
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I saw the GF bug in action first-hand lol. It's a bug, not an exploit and the person I saw affected by it told us he sent in a ticket on it and never heard back.
    edited May 2013
    mattplex wrote: »
    SWTOR is the WORST.
    They charge you a sub AND force you to buy XP boosters because their content won't let you level to cap.

I like sub-based games with no microtransactions.
    FF14, here I come!

that game going fall when it get release like last time
    edited May 2013
    I agree SWTOR is the worse .. they literally nickle and dime you to death. I mean who the hell charges money for an extra set of hotkey bar ? EA does.
  • mattplexmattplex Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    EA making an MMO should not surprise anyone of the state of SWTOR.
    I played it for 2 months, had fun. Glad I never went back to it.

FF14 will be MMO salvation.

Until EQN releases.