test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You can just farm for 3650 days and you can still get it

vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Or you can spend $20 bucks to get it. Clearly not pay to win. Right?

To people claiming you can get everything in game with diamonds you can farm/earn or the BEST ONE YET wait 7 days for a CHANCE for a ward. So in that regard if an item that gave you a 25% flat damage boost required you to log in every day farm 6 hours to get a token and you need 3650 tokens to get an item you can buy for 2000 Zen, that is not pay to win. So tell me, when players have that item for 2000 Zen vs others farming for it meet in PvP or race to finish PvE content (like WoW raids), don't they have an advantage and is therefore pay to win?

Yes you can get it in time (10 years, clearly for fanboys 10 years is not a lot of time) but the fact remains, players are beating you and clearing content faster than you for the time YOU do not have that item.
Post edited by vestige321 on

Comments

• Options
    jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can also go in and farm a few days with skill and a well coordinated team to get it as well. That is, if this is about gear. If its about mounts or bag space, then yes, its just easier to buy it, but certainly not pay to win.

Also....Pay to win means you HAVE to pay for a win. You cant continue the story or do content without buying it, thats pay to win. If there is high end gear you can buy with real money that CANNOT be obtained in the game BY ANY MEANS, that is pay 2 win. Getting gear without effort is not pay to win. Its lazy, but not pay 2 win.
  • Options
    xxviimbxxviimb Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have spent 100$ on this game, and yes it is pay to win.
    But why do you people keep complaining about it?, if it makes you that mad...then move along.
    "You have a wife and kids? If so, what would happen, if we called you in at 1am, everytime something went wrong!
    Be respectful, remember, you PLAY the game at your convenience, they WORK at no ones."
  • Options
    cathgar457cathgar457 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry but where do you get your figures as your math is really bad.

2000 Zen is approximately 800000 AD, if you divide that by your supposed 3650 days = 219 AD per day, LoL.

Just from praying 3 times in a day, you can get 2000+ AD and that does not include dailies or Leadership crafting.

Stop trying to say things are Pay to Win when you do not even have a clue.
  • Options
    chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    xxviimb wrote: »
    But why do you people keep complaining about it?, if it makes you that mad...then move along.

Because maybe we *want* to enjoy this game as well??? It is a good game, and their prices are just OUTRAGEOUS.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    chintae wrote: »
    Because maybe we *want* to enjoy this game as well??? It is a good game, and their prices are just OUTRAGEOUS.

prices could come down, sure.
    But I think you are wasting your time complaining about it.
    "You have a wife and kids? If so, what would happen, if we called you in at 1am, everytime something went wrong!
    Be respectful, remember, you PLAY the game at your convenience, they WORK at no ones."
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Since the game launched, playing casually and not exploiting, i've made somewhere around 300k ad. I've sold crafting mats on the ah, done my dailies, and worked on leveling up leadership. I'm sure many others have made more than me but for playing the way I have I really don't see a problem.
  • Options
    cathgar457cathgar457 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013

So you cannot enjoy the game without using cash shop?

Pity you, you should go and play another game then if you are not enjoying the game.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you don't launch a complaint, PW doesn't know there is anything wrong and won't change it. By launching complaints, we get our voices heard, even if they go unheeded.

If it bothers you that others are complaining, you can always not read these threads.
  • Options
    coconukecoconuke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    You can also go in and farm a few days with skill and a well coordinated team to get it as well. That is, if this is about gear. If its about mounts or bag space, then yes, its just easier to buy it, but certainly not pay to win.

Also....Pay to win means you HAVE to pay for a win. You cant continue the story or do content without buying it, thats pay to win. If there is high end gear you can buy with real money that CANNOT be obtained in the game BY ANY MEANS, that is pay 2 win. Getting gear without effort is not pay to win. Its lazy, but not pay 2 win.

That is NOT pay-to-win. What you're talking about is pay-to-play.

Pay-to-win means exactly that --> you pay, you have a significant advantage to win. Which is exactly what this game is.

You need to brush up on your English.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cathgar457 wrote: »
    So you cannot enjoy the game without using cash shop?

Pity you, you should go and play another game then if you are not enjoying the game.

WUT?

Uhm......
  • Options
    maliblu22maliblu22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    urdefmadurdefmad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    if ur defending that this game isn't p2w ur an obvious butthurt fanboy. truth hurts
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll preface my statement by saying that I don't PvP. So, in PvE, what is someone "winning" if they pay?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you don't launch a complaint, PW doesn't know there is anything wrong and won't change it. By launching complaints, we get our voices heard, even if they go unheeded.

If it bothers you that others are complaining, you can always not read these threads.

kinda tough to NOT read these types of threads,considering a new one is posted every hour on the hour!
    never said it bothered me either. you could always move on to the next game that congratulates you for having no skill.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

So are you only complaining in the forums, or doing it through proper complaints channel?
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vestige321 wrote: »
    So in that regard if an item that gave you a 25% flat damage boost required you to log in every day farm 6 hours to get a token and you need 3650 tokens to get an item you can buy for 2000 Zen, that is not pay to win. So tell me, when players have that item for 2000 Zen vs others farming for it meet in PvP or race to finish PvE content (like WoW raids), don't they have an advantage and is therefore pay to win? .

Except as others have said, you math is WAY off. Plus, what is this hypothetical item you need to farm 3650 days to get? Those wards drop you know, in other ways too. Those wards are also on the AH right now, cheapest around 65k AD, average around 100K, and will most likely drop over time. That is nothing. 2000 zen is like 700k. You are better off just playing and getting that easily. Heck, just from playing, getting skill nodes, getting the odd dungeon drop, i made 200k (not even dailies in there), easily enough for two. That wasn't even focused farming and only ran one dungeon.

It's pay for convenience, you can easily get the same if you want to play for it.

For the record, i forget which guild admitted to it, but a couple years ago one of the top raiding guilds admitted to buying gold. Their excuse was to the effect that they are too busy practicing and raiding to farm for what they "need". You can also pay in gold or real money to be carried in any raid in WoW, it's pretty common actually. You pay, and depending on the amount, you get to pick what you get from what drops.
  • Options
    alex3omgalex3omg Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013

No, pay to win means 'the person willing to spend money has a clear advantage over those who do not."

For example, you can't even buy runes in League of Legends with RP. Everyone is on even footing stat-wise. The only things you can buy with real-world money are aesthetic.

Anything else is pay to win. You can't have a fair, balanced, serious-competitive game where the guy who's willing to spend more money is stronger. No PVP system will ever be taken seriously, and endgame won't be fun unless you fork over the cash because the game is designed to make you want to buy power.

40$ for a mount is ridiculously overpriced, but the fact that you can buy in-game currency(AD) and races and pets and respeccs with cash? That's pay to win.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    coconuke wrote: »
    That is NOT pay-to-win. What you're talking about is pay-to-play.

Pay-to-win means exactly that --> you pay, you have a significant advantage to win. Which is exactly what this game is.

You need to brush up on your English.

Maybe I should have been more clear about the buying content thing. Lets do an example. DCUO is a free to play game, but has large portions of the game cut of to non playing players. If you pay, you can play the rest of the game. Its still free to play, but its always considered pay 2 win, since the content you pay for isnt necessary, but very helpful, thus pay to win. Also, there is no way to ear any amount of money in game that could buy you that same content, making it fully pay to win.
    alex3omg wrote: »
    No, pay to win means 'the person willing to spend money has a clear advantage over those who do not."

For example, you can't even buy runes in League of Legends with RP. Everyone is on even footing stat-wise. The only things you can buy with real-world money are aesthetic.

Anything else is pay to win.

And in LoL....runes are IP, as are champs. In fact, you CANT buy runes with RP. Its one of the ONLY things in LoL you cant buy with real money. you have to EARN your runes, while Skins are the only thing you cant earn by normal play.
  • Options
    lokaidraxmartislokaidraxmartis Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xxviimb wrote: »

because we are genuinely impressed by the game, are enjoying the game, and are deeply upset that its being ruined by PWE... and can debate that fact all you want BUT for many of us...we refuse to buy or pay for wards, bags ect... just not gonna happen... not because we cant! its out of principle... only pay for you believe is value for your dollar...and currently forcing us to spend enough cash, to buy 3-4 triple A titles... is absurd...

why cant you guys take a step back and see it from our angle... *shakes head* i will keep playing this game, but i will be doing so as a moocher/freeloader which is terribly disappointing... because PWE and cryptic could have had my money if they were more reasonable with pricing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's pay to win(right now).
    That is the bottom line.....love it or leave it.

and yes I spent money, and yes I think it is VERY expensive stuff....But I like the game enough to support it.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And in LoL....runes are IP, as are champs. In fact, you CANT buy runes with RP. Its one of the ONLY things in LoL you cant buy with real money. you have to EARN your runes, while Skins are the only thing you cant earn by normal play.

Yup, that's my point- nobody can ever have a better chance at willing in league of legends by spending more cash. And that's because Riot took a very firm stance in their free-to-play game and said no to buying power. Valve did the same with TF2.

(so maybe I'm just spoiled.)
  • Options
    yukishiro3yukishiro3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    It's pay2win, can't understand all the threads about it. get used to it. don't play it if bothers you that people can pay2win.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    alex3omg wrote: »
    Yup, that's my point- nobody can ever have a better chance at willing in league of legends by spending more cash. And that's because Riot took a very firm stance in their free-to-play game and said no to buying power. Valve did the same with TF2.

(so maybe I'm just spoiled.)

Quite a few games take this route. A few companies walk the line of pay to win. Companies like Perfect World, Nexon, and NCSoft. But others are pretty obvious to be a pay to win, like Sony and EA. You just have to look into their cash shop to find out.
    yukishiro3 wrote: »
    It's pay2win, can't understand all the threads about it. get used to it. don't play it if bothers you that people can pay2win.

And its not pay 2 win. Anything in the store can be earned without paying real money.
  • Options
    jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm pretty much ok with high prices, they need to make their money somehow, and it's not like GW2 where their guaranteed a minimum of $60 of your money from buying the game. My complaint is that all endgame gear is boe. If it wasn't for this I wouldn't have an issue with the Zen to Astral Diamond exchange, but if you can buy your way to the very top, it doesn't seem that much different to me than games with cash shops where you can buy more powerful items than what you can get from grinding. It still kindof makes your heroic achievements feel like a waste of time when you could've gotten you gear faster from either playing the ah or from pulling out a credit card.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yukishiro3 wrote: »

I will accept your statement once you can, unequivocally tell me *what* I'm winning by paying all sorts of money...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    vestige321vestige321 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    maliblu22 wrote: »

HAHAHAH OMG that is epic. Solo'd. All them resurrection scrolls. I bet you the new content that gets released will also feature someone soloing it for world first LOL.

See, thing is, most people don't get it. The fact that people CAN PAY UNLIMITED AMOUNTS OF MONEY to get an advantage is pay to win. Think it terms of WoW, people race to world first raids. What would happen if people could spend money to get a buff or a bonus or even buy enchants that would help them get there the fastest just by paying? That alone is pay to win. The only thing that involved world firsts right now is skill and time...no money required.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cathgar457 wrote: »
    Sorry but where do you get your figures as your math is really bad.

2000 Zen is approximately 800000 AD, if you divide that by your supposed 3650 days = 219 AD per day, LoL.

Just from praying 3 times in a day, you can get 2000+ AD and that does not include dailies or Leadership crafting.

Stop trying to say things are Pay to Win when you do not even have a clue.

He was using hyperbole to prove a point. That point is that just because something is theoretically earnable with 'in game' money whereas it takes a small amount of real world money to buy it means that people will just pay real money to earn around in-game money walls instantly.

Fact of the matter is your time is better spent getting a part time job at McDonalds for minimum wage and work one hour to earn that respec versus actually playing the game for a month or more of in-game time. So in essence, it's more cost effective on your wallet and your time to just give Cryptic your money and play the game significantly less.

See what I did there?
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    yukishiro3yukishiro3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    whatever you just bought? seems pretty obvious man.

buy some zen, change to AD, buy full set of T2 epics - you just paid2win a full suit of epic gear.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Just so you all know, THIS IS ALL HYPOTHETICAL AND NOT IN TERMS OF CURRENT ITEMS IN THE CASH SHOP. People have been using the logic that 'as long as you spend time on it, you can get it' and that this is stupid and utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. You would need to spend a year, maybe more just to get where someone could get to in a day by paying or using the cash shop. Hence pay to win.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    And its not pay 2 win. Anything in the store can be earned without paying real money.

It actually works the other way around. See, the ability to buy any of the cash-shop items with in-game money doesn't make it ok. When you can use cash to buy in-game money, then you've got pay2win.

If you can take your dollars and turn it into power, that's pay2win. Nobody is saying you have to pay to be the best, just that.. you can. That's the issue.
This discussion has been closed.