test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Did I get the wrong impression of our role?

paroxysm13paroxysm13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Temple
I tried to do the level 30-something dungeon Lair of the Mad Dragon today...
Nearly every pull ended in me kiting for my life as mobs just destroyed my hp in a few hits, the trash fights were acceptable, and most were fine except for some of the big pulls... but the bosses.... Oh lordeh...

I almost couldnt enter the fight, I'd wait 20 seconds or so after the group had started before I would even walk close the a mob, and instantly I had the whole room and the boss on me, Is it normal? I was taking so much damage from adds that i couldnt stay still or I'd just fall down, Should i be able to heal through these hits whilst dodging the aoe on the floor?..

I play with a TR friend and he saw what was happening and started jumping on adds as soon as theyd head towards me, but even then i just seemed to be taking so much damage, my potions were on CD, aswell as my encounter spells and my daily was being used on CD, So im asking should I be speccing into a more "tanky" build rather than a healing build?

Has anyone else had similar experiences?... or am i new?
before it pops up.... no... i wasnt standing in big red aoe

On another note, Anyone noticed noone seems to talk in dungeon runs? In all other MMO's ive played its been easy to get atleast half a conversation going, i've never gotten a reply in a Neverwinter group.
Post edited by paroxysm13 on

Comments

• deths1deths1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    paroxysm13 wrote: »
    I tried to do the level 30-something dungeon Lair of the Mad Dragon today...
    Nearly every pull ended in me kiting for my life as mobs just destroyed my hp in a few hits, the trash fights were acceptable, and most were fine except for some of the big pulls... but the bosses.... Oh lordeh...

I almost couldnt enter the fight, I'd wait 20 seconds or so after the group had started before I would even walk close the a mob, and instantly I had the whole room and the boss on me, Is it normal? I was taking so much damage from adds that i couldnt stay still or I'd just fall down, Should i be able to heal through these hits whilst dodging the aoe on the floor?..

I play with a TR friend and he saw what was happening and started jumping on adds as soon as theyd head towards me, but even then i just seemed to be taking so much damage, my potions were on CD, aswell as my encounter spells and my daily was being used on CD, So im asking should I be speccing into a more "tanky" build rather than a healing build?

Has anyone else had similar experiences?... or am i new?
    before it pops up.... no... i wasnt standing in big red aoe

On another note, Anyone noticed noone seems to talk in dungeon runs? In all other MMO's ive played its been easy to get atleast half a conversation going, i've never gotten a reply in a Neverwinter group.

Yes it is normal to get all of the adds till lvl 40 when guards get more aoe threat, but even then you off tank the adds. If you are talking about the dragon fight you have to have dps only killing them, it is the only way to survive the adds at all unless you have amazing gear. :)

I have also noticed no one talks in this mmo, anymore I just assume they will try to steal loot, or they are foreign and don't speak English.
  • xunxanxunxan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's because the player base here absolutely sucks horribly.
    zerg the boss, is the main goal, or go for top damage.
    No role play, no group play, no teamwork. Most of the time, you will not even be able to gather loot. Everyone else will kill a boss, grab the loots, and sprint onward; leaving you stuck with the ADD horde to try to solo (which isn't going to happen).

Expect this later:
    you are stunned/cc locked, surrounded by dozens of lesser adds hitting you, and targeted by multiple overlapping red zones. Have a nice day...

EDIT - I've personally had enough! 1 less DC in Neverwinter.
  • javabnjavabn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's pretty much it. Bring at least 40 healing pots to a dungeon because you'll be chain chugging them kiting mobs. I'm L38 and most of my groups have not had a GF so I go to the top of the aggro meter pretty quick. There's no magical formula for casting and not drawing aggro at this time. I found it's best cast Sacred Flame in the beginning and to go easy on Astral's Seal and Forgemaster's Flame until most mobs are gone. I expect the group member's are smart enough to avoid damage and chugg pots when they need them.
  • paroxysm13paroxysm13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So it looks like ill just have to coerce more of my friends from other MMO's to play with me, atleast then I know i can yell at them over teamspeak to get the adds off my face.
    Atleast its good to see its not just me that's finding this problem... in a kinda sad way.
  • quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    k..listen up my friend. Here's what you do next time the tard pug plays "zerg the boss". Do whatever you can to keep yourself alive(pots & cast a FF on one of your kite mobs & spam Sunburst) for a little bit and round up ALL the adds then make a beeline for the group then plant yourself right in the middle and don't heal AT ALL. You will die but so will ALL of them :p

I will call the playstyle the "Titanic Cleric" You go down and take everyone with you. Its even more fun to do when the boss is below 50% and they think they got this. But alot of times you won't last this long.

For the next attempt tell them to help kill adds or they will be embarking on yet another Titanic voyage. :p

titanicbreaksinhalf.jpg
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
  • rezmatezrezmatez Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    haha!! Yes, a lot of the time, people need a wake up call...it's hard to play a healer in this game, and if they want one in theirs, they better learn how to help keep you alive.
  • vikinggamervikinggamer Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    k..listen up my friend. Here's what you do next time the tard pug plays "zerg the boss". Do whatever you can to keep yourself alive(pots & cast a FF on one of your kite mobs & spam Sunburst) for a little bit and round up ALL the adds then make a beeline for the group then plant yourself right in the middle and don't heal AT ALL. You will die but so will ALL of them :p

I will call the playstyle the "Titanic Cleric" You go down and take everyone with you. Its even more fun to do when the boss is below 50% and they think they got this. But alot of times you won't last this long.

For the next attempt tell them to help kill adds or they will be embarking on yet another Titanic voyage. :p

titanicbreaksinhalf.jpg

You sir, have my respect and admiration. This made me laugh.

I would usually try my best to kite the mobs but after you have enough of them even that wont work. Once they let me die, and such a group usually doesn't notice your down so you end up locked out. Which is fine. You watch them die and then mention the adds. But I like your system much better. And you have an iron clad excuse, I mean, what are you supposed to do when you get an add, in just about every mmo? Run to the tank.

All die, so die well.
  • xadfrostxadfrost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Clerics do four things in general.
    Tank, heal, provide damage reduction and increase the damage other players deal. Most of which you won't be able to do very well until level 40-50.
  • pjavokpjavok Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also, dont forget to get flamed when you wipe. Always happens. "Why no heal"? i love that one
  • highjusticarhighjusticar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    I have read about a bug where clerics gain too much aggro and to fix it once you get into the instance you need to take off everything on your character and re-equip it.
  • lim3yylim3yy Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pjavok wrote: »
    Also, dont forget to get flamed when you wipe. Always happens. "Why no heal"? i love that one

My all time favorite! 'Y U NO GIEV US HAELZ KLERIK?' I just scream in voice chat to get adds off me, and after a wipe remember that I'm mostly in this game for PvP and it's free to play, and I just leave, or if I'm party lead and the group was particularly bad (like needing everything even if they can't use it) I'll kick them all and leave.
  • xt4nkixt4nki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yesterday when i was 59 lvl and doing dungeon with big red dragon (forgot name) i take 1,5m dmg from adds.. and use like 40 pots to survive it... when a tank take just 1,3m dmg over hole instance. But only lvl 56 rogue die 2 times ;)
  • rexthanderrexthander Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once u have astral shield u will never die
    Im level 55 cleric
  • bradhpbradhp Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This thread made me feel a little better. I might not be the best cleric around, but I was starting to wonder how bad I sucked when I was the one constantly dying because I couldn't take down all 50 adds in the room while the rest of the party beat on the boss.
  • commonlispcommonlisp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you using Forgemaster's Flame in Divinity Mode?

At that level, it's normally better to bring some AoE damage via Daunting Light or Chains of Light to help keep the adds off yourself instead of using the weak heals to recover the damage they are dealing.
  • onodrakonodrak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    Just don't go running around screaming and trying to kite <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Did you guys forget all the basics from other MMO's? How do people get adds off you if you are running out of range? The dragon room is massive, and most of the 'add damage' comes in the form of the tiny whelps or the tiny Fire Circles. Unless you want your Rogues running all over the place, and your mages single targeting down tiny adds, stand in one **** spot so they can AOE it all when it comes to you.

PS, You have a relativley high defense compared to the classes you want to 'handle' the adds.
  • cwiyk13cwiyk13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    onodrak wrote: »
    Just don't go running around screaming and trying to kite <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Did you guys forget all the basics from other MMO's? How do people get adds off you if you are running out of range? The dragon room is massive, and most of the 'add damage' comes in the form of the tiny whelps or the tiny Fire Circles. Unless you want your Rogues running all over the place, and your mages single targeting down tiny adds, stand in one **** spot so they can AOE it all when it comes to you.

PS, You have a relativley high defense compared to the classes you want to 'handle' the adds.

I can't speak for every single cleric, but when I "run from adds" what I actually do is remain in relatively small space, moving just far enough out of red-splat range as possible. Unfortunately, when every add is focusing on you, you dodge one mob's red splat just in time for another one to appear, thus making you need to move again, but not back into the already existing red splat. This can unfortunately lead to the cleric moving farther and farther away from the people that should be killing the adds. I always do as much as possible to avoid this scenario.

As for expecting classes with lower defenses to handle the adds, I'm don't expect rogues and control wizards to "tank" the adds: they just need to focus on killing them as quickly as possible rather than remain on the boss. :)
    Krae Vull - Devoted Cleric
  • fugenchutenzfugenchutenz Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes much of the DPS classes in this game have yet to figure out that it's their responsibility to kill adds, and that the adds are worse than the boss. By the time you're lvl 50, AS and feat buffed HG will make you one tough
    cookie, but also it means the majority of your mitigation and practically all of your healing will come from throwing circles on the ground, of which dps will do anything but stand in, then proceed to cry to the heavens why there were no heals. Mad king was bad, especially with those little <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that yank you all over the place. They kicked me around like a hacky sack. But the worst was the other dragon skirmish in the pirate zone. You could tell dps to focus on the mystics all day long and they'd hit everything but them. I literally watched those things not only keep themselves up (which wasn't hard since no one was hitting them), but also all the other adds up AND heal the boss back up from 25% to over 60%.

Standing still is only going to get him killed. There is no way to out heal or defend from 15 mobs beating on you, no one has that much defense. That's what the mage's Arcane Singularity spell is for. Tell the **** to drag it off his hot bar and use the **** thing
  • elwardenfelwardenf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xadfrost wrote: »
    Clerics do four things in general.
    Tank, heal, provide damage reduction and increase the damage other players deal. Most of which you won't be able to do very well until level 40-50.

Thank goodness for that. I thought that I sucked and I am (or thought I was) used to being a 'healer' from playing other games. And the 40% reduction in heals is worse (?) that when I played a minstrel in LOTRO in war-speech mode.