test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which class should be next?

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 5,050,278 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2011
    And Essentials, and Heroes of Shadows (which introduce a variant of Assasin and Vampire class), and countless number of Dragon Magazine paragon paths (plus Assasin class)
    edited July 2011
    Actually they've been around a lot longer than that. I believe there were rules for Paladins and Bards (and also monks) way back in D&D Basic (though, I think that might have come up in later books after the initial release, but still way before Baldur's Gate). Still, I kinda agree that they should probably be implemented before any of those other classes (though, I'd really like to see some warlocks, but still...).

Paladins in particular are pretty iconic to the genre--not just D&D, but sword & sorcery fantasy in general--and Druids have become pretty popular (even outside of D&D) as well. If there is one class that they should add at launch (in addition to the ones they've already confirmed) its probably Paladins.
    It was Cavalier in classic D&D. Paladin might have come in before the end though I don't think it was actually till Second Edition. I could be wrong I didn't play much D&D really until second edition.
    edited July 2011
    I'm hoping they will have polls about most popular classes and races once the game is out. That seems to be the best way to do it. I honestly can't list any wishes yet since I don't even know how the existing classes play.

However I'm a fan of warlocks in 3e so if 4e warlocks are anything like them...
    edited July 2011
    sorwen wrote: »
    It was Cavalier in classic D&D. Paladin might have come in before the end though I don't think it was actually till Second Edition. I could be wrong I didn't play much D&D really until second edition.

Actually, you're wrong. Paladin was in 1 ed as a subclass of fighter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_class_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

Cavalier was a subclass of paladin in Baldurs Gate 2.
    edited July 2011
    I'm hoping they will have polls about most popular classes and races once the game is out. That seems to be the best way to do it. I honestly can't list any wishes yet since I don't even know how the existing classes play.

I'm not sure I like that. I personally would prefer a balance in roles. Not that it really matters as my non confirmed favourite classes are "second class classes" in the D&D world. :p
    edited July 2011

in the poll for races, I want to vote for Fairy Dragon
    edited July 2011
    Qumi wrote: »
    Actually, you're wrong. Paladin was in 1 ed as a subclass of fighter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_class_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

The Cavalier was introduced by Gary Gygax in 1983.

The Paladin was introduced by Gary Gygax in 1974.

Both were a part of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition.
    edited July 2011
    sorwen wrote: »

Jharii wrote:
    The Cavalier was introduced by Gary Gygax in 1983.

The Paladin was introduced by Gary Gygax in 1974.

Both were a part of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition.

Guess I was right about the Paladin bit, though, reading that line you highlighted I realized I wrote "Bard" when I meant to write "Druid", which is incorrect. Bards were also mentioned in the text I was quoting in that post (that's how I ended up making that mistake), but they weren't introduced till AD&D 1st ed. I think druids were introduced as a cleric sub-class shortly before the release of AD&D 1st ed. Still, point is, lots of these classes have been around and been part of D&D for a LONG time (way before Baldur's Gate).
    edited July 2011
    The cavalier was created in 1983 by Gary Gygax in dragon magazine 72. It was not part of the Paladin class. In 1985 In unearthed arcana the paladin was reworked to be a subclass of Cavalier.

I only played the original version in dragon magazine we also had a Witch another dragon magazine class in our group. That Cavalier class was a very fun class but very few could play the class correctly.
    edited July 2011
    Presbytier wrote: »
    That really is a shock considering how classic the Paladin is. I mean it is not D&D without some goody goody Paladin to annoy the party to death(I am being serious i have always enjoyed arguing with die-hard Paladin role-players).:(

Uh Paladins aren't goody goody anymore. They can be ANY alignment now. They are no longer champions of good. They are just some champions of a god, any god. No class has any alignment restrictions anymore. The alignments ar way cut down too now. Its just Lawfull Good, Good, Neutral, Evil, Chaotic Evil.
    edited July 2011
    Probably yes and no. They do not add lately classes with the same source and role, there are few exceptions, but that's unusual. Ninja or Samurai would have matrial or psionic source and there are strikers and defenders within those sources.

However, with the Essentials a basic class can become a different specialization. For example a Warlock can be instead a Hexblade, while a Cleric can be Battle Cleric. So if Ninja or Samurai will be added, then probably as such.

Id figure a ninja would be a rogue or assassin and then just rename it?
    edited July 2011
    Or monk, since they both use chi. You should know that in 4 ed chi is considered psionics.
    edited July 2011
    I dont have that book. I haven't found groups who play 4th ed that are worth playing with so I don't waste my money on books I won't use.
    edited July 2011
    Monks use ki implements and they use the psionic power source. Assassins and vampires also use ki implements, but they use the shadow power source. So no, ki is not unique to psionic powers.
    edited July 2011
    i would like to see the tank/mage paladin. :)
    edited July 2011
    i would like to see the tank/mage paladin. :)

I think that's called the swordmage. That or multiclass a bit but multiclass works so different now You take a feat and get a few abilities of the other class, its nothing like previous editions in that regard.
    edited July 2011
    Jharii wrote:
    Monks use ki implements and they use the psionic power source. Assassins and vampires also use ki implements, but they use the shadow power source. So no, ki is not unique to psionic powers.

Love to see Vampire as a class since that's how they are using it now. I wonder if Lycanthrope will be a class too?
    edited July 2011
    Uh Paladins aren't goody goody anymore. They can be ANY alignment now. They are no longer champions of good. They are just some champions of a god, any god. No class has any alignment restrictions anymore. The alignments ar way cut down too now. Its just Lawfull Good, Good, Neutral, Evil, Chaotic Evil.

I was being tongue in cheek; I am sure everybody has ended up in a party with one Paladin who took his job way to seriously.:p
    edited July 2011
    Presbytier wrote: »
    I was being tongue in cheek; I am sure everybody has ended up in a party with one Paladin who took his job way to seriously.:p

I actually haven't. Not once. All the pally players I had were good. They didn't play the morality <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> Paladin. And this was in 2ced through 3.5. Never once had a jerk Paladin. Jerk fighters yes. Lots of those.
    edited July 2011
    I think that's called the swordmage. That or multiclass a bit but multiclass works so different now You take a feat and get a few abilities of the other class, its nothing like previous editions in that regard.

ah, cool ty. im abit rusty on my d&d pnp. lat time i played was in rule set 2
    edited July 2011
    I'd love to see a Psion added in!
    edited July 2011
    Paladin, Bard and Druid!!!
    edited July 2011
    Druid
    Bard

Druid with rollplaying shapeshifting - sneaking, stealth and flying, disquise/entering camps incognito would make it much more worthwhile and something I've wished for since Icewind Dale.
  • luckylynxluckylynx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with many. A paladin class is needed. Healing, buffs, and heavy armor with close reange c;ombat needs to be implemented. Basically a warrior cleric.
    Also needed is a good archer. Good active abilities would include elemental arrows and quick getaway abilities.
    Druids would be a godsend. They would most likely have a powerful familiar and healing magics. also spells associated with nature (AKA plants and animals).
    Another good class would be a buff/debuff based mage. This would be an essential class for a party. A bard would be an example. A bard would use his songs with an AoE effect that would effect teammates. But I don't know how debuffs would work. Perhaps a target specific or thrown AoE (AoE where effect area is entirely away from player) spell would be efficient.
    Maybe if they respec the Guardian Fighter to be more the well rounded fighter and added in a Bid *** shield but small *** shortsword'd class that is solely a tank that could be a class.

If you have any other detailed classes, Want to add on to my class ideas, or are a game dev. and want to use, feel free to go for it.
  • truegamer0truegamer0 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No idea why but in every game with it, I've never liked the Bard class. On the other hand Paladin sounds like a class i would enjoy a lot.
  • gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm trying to figure out where the hell are you guys seeing two striker classes in this game?
    Rogues are the only strikers currently and to follow is Archer Ranger and Scourge Warlock.
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm waiting on the Scourge Warlock.

But anything new would be nice.
    I thrive on games with a ton of classes (like DAoC) because I like to play them ALL. ;)
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • navajvornavajvor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So it seems they are leaning slightly towards the 4E Essentials product line than the original 4E PHBs. I don't have an issue with that, I found the 4E Knight to be fun and am loving my Guardian Fighter.
    I'm not a follower of the Forgotten Realms/Neverwinter timeline for D&D, but I'm thinking some classes don't exactly fit in the game realm...the Psionic ones most likely?

I would like to see
    Warlord (personal favorite)

I more expect the following. in order:

Archer Ranger (Will this be a Striker or Controller version? My guess is Controller)
    Warlock (Ranged Striker, DoT attacks)
    Bard (Leader)
    Paladin (Defender)

Longer term, I'd like to see:
    Two-Weapon Ranger (Melee Striker)
    Dragonsoul Sorcerer (Striker)
    Druid (Controller)
  • nauonenauone Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like to see Ranger, Monk in that order
  • slamerz1slamerz1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well because of the early animal companions for druid and ranger i'd like to see them come out at the same time, that is if they keep their skill sets similar to the originals.
This discussion has been closed.