test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

companion slots

beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I would like more active companion slots. You have achievements for getting lots of them and you make money when people buy more companions or buy other things that will get them more, so how about more active slots? either that or let their gear remain on them the way the runestones do when you make them inactive. thanks.
Post edited by beaghan1 on

Comments

• beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bump because I really want this, forgot to add to dev's don't forget how much zen is spent just unlocking the slots too, not counting if any goes into acquiring any of the extra companions.
  • jedizalmjedizalm Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought you could buy more active slots for companions anyway. And its Zen btw, not zan.
    edited May 2013
    jedizalm wrote: »
    I thought you could buy more active slots for companions anyway. And its Zen btw, not zan.

can only buy it up to 5 actives, I currently have more than 5 companions so I would buy more slots
  • ursadorableursadorable Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    How many companions do you need? You can only have one out at a time. Perhaps you should be playing Pokemon instead.
    edited May 2013
    Wow....at what point in time do you need more than 5 companions? I can only see the need for 3 MAYBE 4 myself. One for solo, one for dungeons/groups, one for skirmishes and maybe one for farming, but that one could very well be solo as well. Why do you use so many different companions? WHERE do you use so many different companions?
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, i'm curious too why you need so many. I bought one extra slot so i could level more, especially when one or two are training for a long time (past the 20s takes a while, if you don't want to pay AD to speed it up). The training is the only reason i could see, if you have many going at the same time. Possibly one for trash, one for boss fights, that sort of thing.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just swap companions between active and inactive. You do know you can open your inventory and on the left side tabs is one that will let you look at inactive companions. Just swap companions between active and inactive.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    How many companions do you need? You can only have one out at a time. Perhaps you should be playing Pokemon instead.

maybe I should be playing this and using the right companions for the right situation. They wouldn't have an achievement for getting 10 companions if they didn't think people would be doing it would they?
    edited May 2013
    Just swap companions between active and inactive. You do know you can open your inventory and on the left side tabs is one that will let you look at inactive companions. Just swap companions between active and inactive.

when you make an active companion inactive his gear pops off. Not the runes but the gear. If you have 5 inactives then that's a whole bag of gear you have to lug around too. If they changed it and made the gear stay on the companion like the runes do then there would be no issue at all.
    edited May 2013
    Wow....at what point in time do you need more than 5 companions? I can only see the need for 3 MAYBE 4 myself. One for solo, one for dungeons/groups, one for skirmishes and maybe one for farming, but that one could very well be solo as well. Why do you use so many different companions? WHERE do you use so many different companions?

I want to try them all and see what works best. I started with the panther since I have it free, then got the healer because I liked her in beta, then got the flaming bird in a box, heard some people saying good stuff about the wiz and I have tons of gold so bought one and like him, saw a sellsword and just got her. Then I got a fire archon(sp?) from the trade bar guy. Everyone is concerned with why I want so many, well because I do. They make money selling me more slots, they make money selling me more companions, they have an achievement for having 10 so why is that in game? If the gear didn't pop off then it would be no issue.
    edited May 2013
    a real funny thing is that a few months from now everyone else will slowly learn that there is thought in the companions and they each can serve unique roles and then everyone will be saying oh you need to use this one with you for that encounter and then the other etc. I played with a bunch early and I have them leveled so you can really see their functions so maybe I'm a little ahead of the crowd on this one. Everyone else will probably start figuring it out with the training tomes come out and you can start raising their quality.
    edited May 2013
    Ok, so you want more to try them...thats fine and dandy, but after you try them out and you find the few you like and level them up, are you serious that you would need more than 5? As was stated earlier.

1. Dungeons/groups.
    2. Solo.
    3. Skirmishes.
    4. Farming.
    5. Role Playing.

I cant honestly see a use for any others, and honestly, you might even have 5 the same as any of the others, 4 might be used for 2 as well, and same with 3 and 1. That could easily reduce down into about 3 companions, which is how many they give you anyway.
    beaghan1 wrote: »
    a real funny thing is that a few months from now everyone else will slowly learn that there is thought in the companions and they each can serve unique roles and then everyone will be saying oh you need to use this one with you for that encounter and then the other etc. I played with a bunch early and I have them leveled so you can really see their functions so maybe I'm a little ahead of the crowd on this one. Everyone else will probably start figuring it out with the training tomes come out and you can start raising their quality.

Yes, all of them have certain uses in certain situations, but there are only 4 TYPES. Striker for dmg, healer/leader for...survival I guess, Tank and augment. That only means you need 4. Each type works the same with slightly different effects. Some strikers have knockdown, some have knockback. Some healers have heals, some have regen. Some tanks pull aggro, some just take a ton of dmg. They all serve the same purpose, with slightly different effects.
    edited May 2013
    Ok, so you want more to try them...thats fine and dandy, but after you try them out and you find the few you like and level them up, are you serious that you would need more than 5? As was stated earlier.

1. Dungeons/groups.
    2. Solo.
    3. Skirmishes.
    4. Farming.
    5. Role Playing.

I cant honestly see a use for any others, and honestly, you might even have 5 the same as any of the others, 4 might be used for 2 as well, and same with 3 and 1. That could easily reduce down into about 3 companions, which is how many they give you anyway.

and if you want to try them all it dumps their gear in your bag when they go inactive. I guess everyone that can't understand it will wait until someone like me writes a guide about what companions do what things best but instead of waiting I'm playing the game and trying to learn for myself and it's a huge pain when you do have more than 5 and it dumps their 3 gear slots into your bag. Seriously not 1 response here has been constructive in any way other to analyze my playstyle. I'll say it again, Why would they have achievements for getting 10+ companions if they didn't think people would do it? If I have 50 of them does it affect anybody elses game? no it would make cryptic a ton of cash selling me all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. I like using different ones, that's my preference, I would like it if I didn't have to sort through loot to find ones gear whenever I switch to an inactive one. that's it.
    edited May 2013
    well, honestly I was just curious, and you sated that by telling me you want to see what all of the companions do. And the whole gear dump thing sucks, but honestly, you can only have one out at a time anyway, so having more than 5 is unnecessary when it comes to active vs idle slots. Just equip one or two, play with them see how well they function, use the logic center of your brain to figure out where the best place to use them is, and move on to the next one, maybe switch them around occasionally to level them up, but again, once your done with all of the companions you prolly wont need more than 5 anyway.

In a game of numbers, as you seem to be playing, where finding the best thing for the best place at the best time is paramount, there will always be a best one or two of the options that are best used anywhere. In a game of min/maxing, there is rarely multiple 'best in slot' things to choose from. It always dwindles down to 1 or 2 options at most, as the rest are deficient by 1-2% less than the rest.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    beaghan1 wrote: »
    everyone else will slowly learn that there is thought in the companions and they each can serve unique roles and then everyone will be saying oh you need to use this one with you for that encounter and then the other etc.

You know, now that you mention it, that would actually make sense, even if i don't care for it. I could see that having more tanks out would be helpful in some, while more damage would be better in others, while ones like the ioun would be better in others. For better or worse it would be a mechanic i could see them thinking about.

It does suck they lose their items, but i bet it's because at some point you should be able to unbind them, and put them on the AH at max level. With items that could be messy. Just guessing here though.
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    You know, now that you mention it, that would actually make sense, even if i don't care for it. I could see that having more tanks out would be helpful in some, while more damage would be better in others, while ones like the ioun would be better in others. For better or worse it would be a mechanic i could see them thinking about.

If I read this right, then you seem to interpret his idea as having more than one companion out at one time. This idea sounds terrible, and makes the game seem like it would quickly turn into a clusterf*ck of ai running around a central player. Bad idea.

If this is not the case, I honestly have no real objections to expanding the amount of active slots, I just dont really see a need for it.
    edited May 2013
    well, honestly I was just curious, and you sated that by telling me you want to see what all of the companions do. And the whole gear dump thing sucks, but honestly, you can only have one out at a time anyway, so having more than 5 is unnecessary when it comes to active vs idle slots. Just equip one or two, play with them see how well they function, use the logic center of your brain to figure out where the best place to use them is, and move on to the next one, maybe switch them around occasionally to level them up, but again, once your done with all of the companions you prolly wont need more than 5 anyway.

In a game of numbers, as you seem to be playing, where finding the best thing for the best place at the best time is paramount, there will always be a best one or two of the options that are best used anywhere. In a game of min/maxing, there is rarely multiple 'best in slot' things to choose from. It always dwindles down to 1 or 2 options at most, as the rest are deficient by 1-2% less than the rest.

did you read my post? "I like using different ones, that's my preference, I would like it if I didn't have to sort through loot to find ones gear whenever I switch to an inactive one. that's it. " or how about this part? "Why would they have achievements for getting 10+ companions if they didn't think people would do it?" now as for the logic center of my brain, the pets don't all use the same gear so it's not a matter of swapping gear to other pets. last point I'll try to make is this is something that I WOULD LIKE. It doesn't affect anyone else game so why would everyone comment with nothing at all constructive to say???? If you don't want more slots then why comment on this thread?????? bunch of trolls with nothing better to do than tell everyone else how they should play. I'M 60 AND IF YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED FROM OTHER THREADS, YOUR OPTIONS GET MORE LIMITED AT 60. I LIKE LEVELING UP DIFFERENT COMPANIONS AND TRYING THEM. WHY IS THAT A PROBLEM FOR YOU PEOPLE???? that get through to the logic center of your brain?? What purpose do you have in a thread about something that you don't even care about?
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »

It does suck they lose their items, but i bet it's because at some point you should be able to unbind them, and put them on the AH at max level. With items that could be messy. Just guessing here though.

they could allow you to remove the items if you want just like the runes.
    edited May 2013
    your hostility is unbecoming of you, and I was only here because I wanted to know the reasoning behind your madness. I got that, and its sated my curiosity. No need to get up in arms about it all. Like I said, I'm not against the idea of more active slots, just not sure why anyone would need them.
    edited May 2013
    your hostility is unbecoming of you, and I was only here because I wanted to know the reasoning behind your madness. I got that, and its sated my curiosity. No need to get up in arms about it all. Like I said, I'm not against the idea of more active slots, just not sure why anyone would need them.

I agree and I do my best not to get angry in forum topics. I am frustrated when told to use the logic center of my brain and frustrated that nobody could grasp my points. At best = it will be something that benefits lots in the game and they will be thankful for more slots even if they don't know it now, At worst = it affects nobody that doesn't care about it anyway and cryptic can make $$$ off those that would use it and maybe some game stuff that does affect others would costs less. I hope they add it, I've made all the points I have here so I hope that they notice it. I'm heading home to log in and level a pet :p
  • nodensnttnodensntt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is his right to want more companions if even for simply collecting them. Every player should be able to play the way they want to and he wants to play with companions. What's wrong with that? It's an available game feature. Questioning his logic or his motives is outright hostile and adds nothing constructive. His request is perfectly fine and I'm sure other players would want to get more companions as well. The inactive inventory tab means the game is going to have a LOT of them. Carrying equipment for 5-6 inactive companions is just silly. PWE should just remove equipment drop on inactives which is a bad idea in the first place.
    edited May 2013
    nodensntt wrote: »
    It is his right to want more companions if even for simply collecting them. Every player should be able to play the way they want to and he wants to play with companions. What's wrong with that? It's an available game feature. Questioning his logic or his motives is outright hostile and adds nothing constructive. His request is perfectly fine and I'm sure other players would want to get more companions as well. The inactive inventory tab means the game is going to have a LOT of them. Carrying equipment for 5-6 inactive companions is just silly. PWE should just remove equipment drop on inactives which is a bad idea in the first place.

thank you, I am glad that someone understands where I was coming from.