test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Renegade Control Wizard -- Stats, Feats and Powers (oh my!)

Comments

• maxthekoboldmaxthekobold Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Tempest Magic (5/5)
    More damage when the target is below 30%. Awesome, we want that! (When we have the Renegade feats). Note added on May 9: It was mentioned that this does not stack/work together with the Tiefling's racial. If this is further confirmed, it may temporarily make humans the superior choice for the race. However, it would be a bug that is subject to getting fixed.

I can confirm this, as can a few more people from Elitist Jerks.
    I was told this issue was first discovered in beta and is still in game. I doubt it will get fixed any time soon seeing as how there are a ton other more important issues than a single racial not working properly.

It is very easy to test too. Go pick on any mob. Use a spell you are comfortable with.
    You will see a tiny damage boost when it drops below 50%. Nothing happens when it drops below 30%.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    manukosta wrote: »
    Reaper's Touch (5/5)
    A ton more damage for Magic Missile when you are with 20ft of an enemy. Lovely in PvE and PvP. I need to note that monsters in T2 epic dungeons and beyond hit hard, but you will have developed a good feel for the range of Steal Time and the cast time. You should usually get your cast off before anything hits you. Practice teleporting backwards without turning.

I don't like this...magic missile is 80 ft distance...and I usually prefer to stay back...I'd much prefer the other feat that gives me more Action Points to land the big bucks!

I didn't take it either as I didn't want to feel like I was forced to stay in melee range (or thereabouts) to get the most out of my feats. That said I don't have anything against people taking it, it's a significant damage increase for magic missile (which I'm pretty sure all of us use a lot regardless).
  • vespirkavespirka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So would you go for a critical power as a Tiefling or go for Tempest magic and wait for better times?
  • maxthekoboldmaxthekobold Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vespirka wrote: »
    So would you go for a critical power as a Tiefling or go for Tempest magic and wait for better times?

Don't forget that Shard of Endless Avalanche, Icy Terrain, and Sudden Storm don't currently crit.
  • lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't forget that Shard of Endless Avalanche, Icy Terrain, and Sudden Storm don't currently crit.

Not quite true about Sudden Storm. The arc damage from it can actually crit, and often does (for whooping double digit damage :D ). It's just that the initial AoE cast does not crit. There are also a few other bugs with SS, such as it not working properly in conjunction with certain AoE spells.
  • thirstmutilatorrthirstmutilatorr Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo, dude you are saying that CW's should teleport in, cast Steal Time, and teleport out. You do know that if you teleport in and cast Steal Time or SoEA, it will just put them on cooldown and have no effect right? You need to teleport in, wait a few seconds, cast, and then teleport out. Pretty sure its a bug ATM.
    Not quite true about Sudden Storm. The arc damage from it can actually crit, and often does (for whooping double digit damage :D ). It's just that the initial AoE cast does not crit. There are also a few other bugs with SS, such as it not working properly in conjunction with certain AoE spells.

Really dude? You are going to pick on that? What he said is 100% correct. The spell itself does not crit. Having little sparks crit for 50 damage is not having it crit properly!
  • widowmakirwidowmakir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very good post.

What is the overall impression on best Enchantments? I attempted to load down on Crit and it seems to me there is a cap? I maxed out at 28.6% and with one slot open, percentage did not change when I filled slot with another 160 Crit.
  • uberoverpoweruberoverpower Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    uberoverpower and qrytical: Thanks a lot guys, this farther strengthens the opinion put forth by others that CC is far inferior to dps in pve. It basically shows that the control element of grouping (even with boss adds) is kinda useless when you can just mow the mobs down with AoE.

Actually, as the discussion has progressed it is being noticed (as mentioned above) that control isn't that good for pve. Taking that under consideration, yes there are control abilities I use in PvP all the time that I would not take to a pve dungeon. Imo, that does mean that those abilities are for PvP. Not that they can't be used in pve, just that they aren't as useful as others.

Astral - as of now, the big boss-like adds that some encounters have can't be completely controled by a CW so that the group can completely ignore them.
    Couple that with GWF being able to off-tank quite decently if you have one on your group and there's basically no reason why would you reduce your damage to make the encounter faster.

I would say its not only about CC being irrelevant compared to damage output, but the fact that many CC talents in CW tree is currently bugged, not working or simply plain completely bad and not worth taking for the gain.

Check the Oppressor tree and compare with the others...they would be already bad if they worked. Also bosses are immune to Chill, so if built as such for control and thus relying on Chill, that means you loose what...30-40% effectiveness on boss?

PVP is a completely different matter. PvP is about control e burst. I run with a lot of CC powers and clearly would need other talents for serious PVP.
  • lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    Bloodhunt does not combine with Tempest Magic for some spells. Confirmed by CW staff.

We are waiting for an update on what spells it does work for. The wording of the post was confusing. I believe it doesn't work on any spells that Evocation does not work on.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    imivo, dude you are saying that CW's should teleport in, cast Steal Time, and teleport out. You do know that if you teleport in and cast Steal Time or SoEA, it will just put them on cooldown and have no effect right? You need to teleport in, wait a few seconds, cast, and then teleport out. Pretty sure its a bug ATM.

This doesn't happen for me. I teleport in and cast Steal Time. There is a minimal delay, which is faster than walking there. If you have a delay of several seconds, something is wrong. Teleporting doesn't put ST on cooldown. One bug I noticed (at least I think it is a bug) that maybe one in 30-40 Steal Time cast goes through the animation, but no damage or stun are inflicted, and the spell goes on cooldown. But this happens rarely.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lisau1974 wrote: »
    Bloodhunt does not combine with Tempest Magic for some spells. Confirmed by CW staff.

By Cryptic staff? Could you please link me to the post where they confirmed this so that I include it? This is a pretty nasty bug. Thank you! :)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • lisau1974lisau1974 Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    By Cryptic staff? Could you please link me to the post where they confirmed this so that I include it? This is a pretty nasty bug. Thank you! :)

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?211571-My-compilation-of-CW-bugs&p=2916831&viewfull=1#post2916831

There you go.
  • kidbskidbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 294
    edited May 2013
    Just wanted to comment that someone said Icy Terrain is bad for AoE damage. Actually it is quite good b/c it procs enchants like crazy. On top of that it also triggers the buffs that require chill and mobs that stand in it long enough will be frozen, so you get some bonus CC right there.
  • winddancer42winddancer42 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    widowmakir wrote: »
    Very good post.

What is the overall impression on best Enchantments? I attempted to load down on Crit and it seems to me there is a cap? I maxed out at 28.6% and with one slot open, percentage did not change when I filled slot with another 160 Crit.

I'm over 30% on my Crit.
  • yummydownontheseyummydownonthese Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm only 42 but I'm at 2776 crit and 35% crit chance. The percent is moving very slowly now though, to the point that I'll be taking some of my crit enchants out to replace them with Power.
  • petitefleurepetitefleure Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you can have a screenshot of powers, I do not know the English and do not understand them.
  • arendhelarendhel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you can have a screenshot of powers, I do not know the English and do not understand them.

Yeah that would be great, in other languages names are different so it'll make it easier to identify them.
    Nice guide by the way, lots of nice infos
  • lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This doesn't happen for me. I teleport in and cast Steal Time. There is a minimal delay, which is faster than walking there. If you have a delay of several seconds, something is wrong. Teleporting doesn't put ST on cooldown. One bug I noticed (at least I think it is a bug) that maybe one in 30-40 Steal Time cast goes through the animation, but no damage or stun are inflicted, and the spell goes on cooldown. But this happens rarely.

Steal Time after dodge/teleport bugs for me in PvP quite often. Not so much in PvE.

Yeah, I wasn't too happy with that answer myself, but hey if they know it needs to get fixed, it will. Cryptic is a pretty good MMOG company. I just hope it doesn't take them months like it does with STO :p
  • gormhlgormhl Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hy Neverwinter Community,

yesterday i watched a live stream from an tactical Mage and as i noticed his stats, its looked like 27/16/20 (Int,Wis,Char) as an Elf. So how is this possible ? Are there any ingame items that gives you a push on the base stats? Maybe you can bring some light into the dark :)

May the Force be with you!
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like he either had the Campfire bonus (+1 to all 6 attributes) or Elixir of Fate (same bonus) running.
  • gormhlgormhl Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like he either had the Campfire bonus (+1 to all 6 attributes) or Elixir of Fate (same bonus) running.

Thanks for your answer :) didnt noticed yet that campfire gives +1 to stats :)
  • onihouseonihouse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First off thanks a lot for the guide, was a relief when you posted it as there seemed to be a lack of any CW guides before it.

Used it to level my CW to 60, got to 60 an hour ago, but now that I'm 60 I was wondering if you have any tips towards gearing?
    What kind of stat priority should I be using? And I've been wondering if armor pen does anything for magical resistances, is there some kind of magic number you want to be aiming for to get rid of mobs their resistances? Till now I avoided it as it seemed like a melee stat but reading the tooltip it hints of some use for casters as well.

Keep up the good work! and thanks again.
  • zellistazellista Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The cancelling of steal time after teleport happens when you continue to press down the movement keys and press/spam the steal time hotkey.

This causes you to start casting ST right after the teleport, but starts bugging you by allowing you to move right after starting the cast for ST, hence cancelling it. I assume it is the same for potions.
    edited May 2013
    zellista wrote: »
    The cancelling of steal time after teleport happens when you continue to press down the movement keys and press/spam the steal time hotkey.

This causes you to start casting ST right after the teleport, but starts bugging you by allowing you to move right after starting the cast for ST, hence cancelling it. I assume it is the same for potions.

Aha, good to know! I thought it had something to do with movement. Odd how it lets us keep moving after we started casting.
  • vespirkavespirka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    onihouse wrote: »
    And I've been wondering if armor pen does anything for magical resistances, is there some kind of magic number you want to be aiming for to get rid of mobs their resistances? Till now I avoided it as it seemed like a melee stat but reading the tooltip it hints of some use for casters as well.

Ingame there is no difference between physical and magical damage, so armor penetration and lifesteal works for casters too. Though, I'm not sure about mobs armor quantity, now i have like 1-2% and capping it to 100% is just impossible, so it might be useless until we find out some exact numbers
  • edurna1edurna1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    onihouse wrote: »
    First off thanks a lot for the guide, was a relief when you posted it as there seemed to be a lack of any CW guides before it.

Used it to level my CW to 60, got to 60 an hour ago, but now that I'm 60 I was wondering if you have any tips towards gearing?
    What kind of stat priority should I be using? And I've been wondering if armor pen does anything for magical resistances, is there some kind of magic number you want to be aiming for to get rid of mobs their resistances? Till now I avoided it as it seemed like a melee stat but reading the tooltip it hints of some use for casters as well.

Keep up the good work! and thanks again.

Most of us are going Power ~ Crit > Recovery. I don't think there is enough information about how useful Armor Penetration is. Some mobs may not even have resistance for all we know. Until some math shows its amazing, I'm going to stick with Recovery over Armor Pen, since it helps with AP generation ;)
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edurna1 wrote: »
    Most of us are going Power ~ Crit > Recovery. I don't think there is enough information about how useful Armor Penetration is. Some mobs may not even have resistance for all we know. Until some math shows its amazing, I'm going to stick with Recovery over Armor Pen, since it helps with AP generation ;)

with the cat it's pretty easy to hit 3k crit and recovery, allowing you to stack other stats.

dont neglect mobility. 15% boost to mobility is a noticeable quality of life boost in dungeons.
  • tickledpinkstickledpinks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Id like to say thank you thank you thank you!! Ive been able to increase my dps while keeping my control stuff intact by simply changing my feats(Lightning wizard btw). Avalanche is an awesome spell btw as an opener (especially if you feat into Transcended Master) however feating to that will make you have to sacrifice Phantasmal Destruction specifically (and I wouldn't suggest that.) Again thanx for your help..I had always wondered about Combat advantage and didn't quite know what dps advantage that gave(ive never seen it explained)..almost feated into it a couple of times but never did..now I have and will never look back :)
  • d3l337d3l337 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Shortly: iMivo is this build you suggest?
    powers
    http://reyva.com/resources/neverwinter-powers-feat-simulator.9/#BtN9l7b78OKg8X0bABupCPl67pgxweBk5IyWzZpWIDRM
    If not entirely please make ammendments.
  • basement12basement12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    what skills do you guys generally use in pve/dungeons? thx
This discussion has been closed.