test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Poor performance in neverwinter city hub

phixsphixs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Im having very low framerate and high ms/fm whenever im in neverwinter city. I know there is a lot of people here but taking a look at the usage of my hardware I would have thought there is plenty of room left that isn't being used.

Everything else I play is working perfectly, from bf3 to Tomb Raider to Crysis 3. Im sure some of it is down to drivers but I thought I might as well report it. Ive provided a screenshot with CPU/GPU usage on as well and DxDiag zipped down due to filesize limit on txt.

Machine Spec:
AMD FX-8350 @ stock 4ghz.
16gigs of Kingston HyperX beast @ 1866mhz.
2x Sapphire 7950 in crossfire (crossfire not active due to window mode but doesn't work in fullscreen either),
AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta 7.
Game installed on SSD OCZ Vector 256gb.
Windows 8 Fully patched and legal.
Rest of the drivers are the latest of this date.
Post edited by phixs on

Comments

• snowygamingsnowygaming Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I feel the same way in any neverwinter city hubs, I get 60 on max anywhere until there. I can't go fullscreen due to it making my game go weird and sli doesn't work in windows full screen mode I believe.

i7 2700k @ 4.2ghz.
    16gbs of Ram 1600mhz
    2x Gtx 680
    Lastest Beta drivers from nvidia
    on an 7200rpm 1tb hard drive.

Hopefully they can optimize it to use more power, only at 30% cpu most of the time and I don't feel like both gpus are being used to the max in cities.
  • aaron92232aaron92232 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    fx 6100
    8gb 1600mhz ram
    Only at 1280x1024 (other monitor broke)

I get 20fps in town on full maxed settings everywhere else 70/80 fps on average dropping to 58 minimal and peaking at 90/100
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    It's an mmo your always going to have issues in the major city due to sheer volume of players present.
  • phixsphixs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's an mmo your always going to have issues in the major city due to sheer volume of players present.

While this may be true it shouldn't be an excuse not to try and sort it out. If I can sit in other MMOs major city hub during prime time and atleast hover around 40-50ish I cant see why it shouldn't be possible in this game in the long run. Please don't consider this thread ive started as a "buuhh huuu" complain thread, but more of a "here is an issue" and informative thread.
  • tilviustilvius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited March 2013
    I don't think its software or hardware problems I'm having. It's net lag... And it's really bad. Where is the location on the server??
  • mhelivormhelivor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I Have lag, in combat even in closed dungeons. Some times 1-5 sec delay on rolls or dodge, hits etc. In City Hub slow, so even in Blacklake. I have a 100mb line. And a good computer. But Im in EU. And if this an EU problem. Or for all. For me the game is no more enjoyable. So I will stop BETA this weekend. Take a look on Sunday See if there any changes. If no I will probably not book up myself as I did this weekend, for BETA W3. I will just take a peek, and see what change. Had no such problem last weekend. So maybe not a EU problem just to weak servers, or to many players this weekend.
  • phixsphixs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tilvius wrote: »
    I don't think its software or hardware problems I'm having. It's net lag... And it's really bad. Where is the location on the server??

Besides the fps lag I get in the city hubs, I to sometimes get connections delays or lag. From what I understand the servers are in the US California or something like that.. Though its not seriously bad for me in this regard.
  • tilviustilvius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited March 2013
    phixs wrote: »
    Besides the fps lag I get in the city hubs, I to sometimes get connections delays or lag. From what I understand the servers are in the US California or something like that.. Though its not seriously bad for me in this regard.

If that's the case, well I shouldn't be getting almost no to some lag if the servers are located in US California. l I'm going to put it that the net code is still in beta. ((( I REALLY HOPE THIS IS THE CASE ))) Love the look of the game and otherwise haven't come across any major bugs.
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lol i have a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> internal intel hd 1 gig video card and no problems
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • karischkarisch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i had no issues what so ever, going into the city would lower my fps but not to the extent that it was visually noticeable or affected game play

tbh i was pleasantly surprised at how little lag etc i got this weekend, considering the speculation that the server is west coast USA and i am in UK

my pc is nearing 3 yrs old now, it has Phenom x4 965 processor, 8gig ram, GTX460, win 7 all updated and legal :p oh and atm we are awaiting a new phone line being run to the house cos apparently this ancient one is affecting our broadband performance :D
    Sarcastic Malevolence
    Recruitment is CLOSED!!
  • l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My connection was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, mostly at certain times of the day. I am about 10,000km from the datacenter though :p

FPS was perfect. Had everything ingame maxed and driver-side set to max 16x 32x FXAA etc etc

I have a MSI Lightning 480GTX, latest Beta drivers. i2500 and 8GB RipjawsX, 64GB Crucial SSD, new 7 install. My GPU seems very prone to being pinned at 99%, but it does have massive OC potential at least.

Maybe its a Win 8 issue? You can always nab some logging software and see what's getting pinned. If nothing hardware is .. then it tells you a few things too!
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2013
    tilvius wrote: »

I doubt Cryptic is using an optimal server for testing purposes.

Lets hope they start testing a new shiny one with the next update.
  • jimhonjimhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 50
    edited March 2013
    I don't really understand the choices.

Is "used to maximum" 100% load or more about them efficiently utilizing available hardware to the max?

It runs perfectly for me, anyway. Solid 60 all the time. Doesn't run at 100% load. I got a i7 and 560ti 1gb
  • crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    TBH this is the first I have heard of anyone getting poor performance. I have zero issues.
  • l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    the 100% load issue is always optimization. Nothing should ever run at that, it generates far more heat for the GPU and doesn't help FPS all that much compared to it being throttled a hair.

I agree with crok2 though, its hardware requirement are very low.
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah I don't really like the poll. The game itself rarely is going to use anything remotely close to maximum hardware. Had no issues in town and my hardware was nowhere near stressed. My system is nothing special either. If you are getting lag in town it is usually going to be one of two things. Almost always it is network lag, which has nothing to do with your local hardware unless you have a crappy modem or router and others are loading up the line or stealing bandwidth. If you think it is only local machine lag that is usually a grafics card or driver issue. That is easily testable by adjusting the setting down and seeing if your frame rate goes up.
  • kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited March 2013
    I have a sapphire 5750.

I didn't check my fps in game, because I never noticed any lag at all.

But I did notice that my video card fan kicked into higher gear (I could actually hear it) whenever I was roaming the Enclave.
  • fcman123fcman123 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GTX Titan @ 1110mhz, 2600k @ 4.5ghz

~40fps in city

40-50% GPU Usage

Something's not good here
  • takolukatakoluka Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gtx 460se @ core 900mhz, mem 2000Mhz
    2600k @ 4.2ghz
    around ~40fps in city 60~70% GPU usage. no bottleneck on cpu. 56C on gpu temperature. 50C on cpu max

benchmarked both cpu and gpu, they all function fine.

only happens in the protector's enclave. Everywhere else, it uses 100% of my gpu and gets 60~100fps depending on places
  • glowyrmzglowyrmz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyone who says they don't have this problem is flat out wrong. You're just not as sensitive to it. This is a an issue with their engine and code meaning no amount of variables in rig setup is changing anything. Sorry to be so blunt about it but it's true. The game isn't using the GPU to it's potential. Every other game I play uses 100% of my GPU but this game sits around 50% no matter the settings in the city.

At the same time, it does have some of the highest CPU usage I have seen in a game recently, sometimes hitting 50%+.

Most of the time there isn't even that many people around in the city and the FPS will STILL drop. Even if it DID have to do with the amount of character models on screen, when you changed around graphics settings you would see the FPS change, even a little, but that's not the case.

There are parts of the city where you can literally drop the settings to their lowest and then back to their highest and the FPS would have stayed exactly the same. The only setting that actually affected the FPS in these areas is the Lighting Quality set to low.

So, if it doesn't bother you that's great. I'm glad you're able to enjoy the game. It's still there though, so whatever is causing it needs to be looked at. I have a feeling it won't.
    cROpbBa.png
  • takolukatakoluka Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i really hope they fix it... I like the game but in some areas my gpu usage drops for no reason and starts to drop frames
  • dakhiondakhion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is my rig:
    Fx 8350 @4.5
    Radeon 7950
    16 gb ram
    and all the other high end pieces blah blah blah.

I get anywhere from 28-40 fps in the city at max settings depending on the population. This imo is very good performance for any mmo in a city because all of your mmos today are very heavily single threaded, and there are bandwidth limitations when so many people are congrigated in one area.
  • shadowsaint84shadowsaint84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you want to see just how GOOD the game can run try hitting the B key and strip the game of its horrendous UI. U will easily see a 10-20 fps increase. Just insane. Not spending a DIME on this game until I can run it without getting a headache.
  • mrvukmrvuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Rig:

Intel I7-960 black 3.2ghz (oc 4.1)
    6GB Corsair Vengence @ 1600mhz
    2 Geforce 580's SLI

My normal FPS is around 60 but in Protectors enclave it drops to about 28-30. Something is just killing the graphics there. I also get some fps lag when a large fight occurs but not often.
  • quick2drawquick2draw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i73770K Watercooled @ 4.7G
    Dual 7950 in crossfire @1100core

Usage approx. 30% on both GPU in the city. Frames from 45-120FPS depending on location.

If I could lock the cards even at 80% usage I wouldn't see anymore frame drops, and my FPS wouldn't fall bellow 80FPS.

This game is still full of bugs, while it plays smooth for the most part;

- Can't lock refresh rate above 60hz
    - Can't lock GPU @ 100% even though you have it set in driver.
    - Alt-tab in Fullscreen is borked.
  • uristqwertyuristqwerty Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    Are you sure it's not:
    - Lag from constantly trying to keep track of which of the hundred annoying vendors is within hearing range, then playing their voice clips?
    - Slow HD, as it keeps fetching models/textures for all of the players constantly entering the area?
    - Inefficient selection determination, to find what you're pointing at?

Slow rendering is just the most visible possibility (literally).
  • huntorzlolhuntorzlol Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    quick2draw wrote: »
    i73770K Watercooled @ 4.7G
    Dual 7950 in crossfire @1100core

Usage approx. 30% on both GPU in the city. Frames from 45-120FPS depending on location.

If I could lock the cards even at 80% usage I wouldn't see anymore frame drops, and my FPS wouldn't fall bellow 80FPS.

This game is still full of bugs, while it plays smooth for the most part;

- Can't lock refresh rate above 60hz
    - Can't lock GPU @ 100% even though you have it set in driver.
    - Alt-tab in Fullscreen is borked.

You can't use 100% GPU since the game is bound by CPU, if a game is locked by CPU, it can't use 100% of GPU.

I have this during my WoW raids, CPU is at max it can use(50%-ish), GPU is at 20% max and I get 40-50 FPS during boss fights.

OT:
    i5-2500k @ 4.3GHz
    Kingston HyperX 2x 4GB 1333Mhz
    ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II @ 925Mhz Core

GPU usage is around 70-80% in regular questing/Foundries(where there are no other people) and I get 40-55% CPU usage overall, average FPS is about 50 in those with every setting to the max. In City my FPS tanks to 25-30
  • cmreapycmreapy Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have the same problem. My fps drop heavily in the city and sometimes other areas. I can't lock the refresh rate above 60Hz either.

My specs are:
    i7 920 - 3.8GHz
    12GB Kingston DDR3 1333MHz
    Radeon HD 6870 @ 900MHz

Cpu usage is ~40-50% on all 4 cores (HyperThreading disabled)
    Gpu usage rarely goes above 40%.
  • xiraiyaxiraiya Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have the same issues, my PC at the very least beats Recommended and I can run the game on high successfully with no noticeable slow downs on most maps, then you hit the city and the game just falls apart completely, I also noticed during the quest at the start where you're running over the bridge has bizarre slow downs at times occasionally for seemingly no apparent reason, I don't make it a habit to place blame on games when it's my PC, but the way the framerate drops are happening really does not at all seem normal to me, I've even actually played around with settings and turned EVERYTHING completely down while in the city and had it running in a playable state but somehow, I'm not sure if it was particular setting or what, but it suddenly started to run no better than it did when everything was set to high.

So I'm completely confused, SOMETHING is chewing up resources and isn't optimized very well. I find it interesting there are people that have posted about terrible specs that had no issues in the city, so I'm wondering if there is a serious compatibility issue somewhere

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core 5200+
    4GB Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE

As I said, I've had no issues 99% of the time running the game with everything up high, I was actually rather impressed with how things looked and ran, but something in the game doesn't like our PCs.
  • zedfighterzedfighter Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's an mmo your* always going to have issues in the major city due to sheer volume of players present.

Not true in the slightest. Unless you're playing on a low end PC.

The UI in this game is apparently coded by monkeys. If you hit "B", you'll notice a huge improvement in FPS in the city.

You're*
This discussion has been closed.