test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Give me your take on GWF

cantthinkcantthink Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
To all those "pro" GWFs could you please post a screenshot of your feats and such?

To all the people like me lacking DPS in end-game dungeons to the point where you're almost useless to the group

Mfw+description+_21825b3e2c6803eac43e2ee735920325.jpg
Post edited by cantthink on

Comments

• morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWFs aren't a striker role class. They are technically a Defender role that gives up some pure tanking capabilites for 2H weapon damage ranges and AE combat damage. If both TRs out-tank you and GFs out-damage you when build for tanking or damage respectively then you know the class needs tweaking.
  • solthusx2solthusx2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWF build guides:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?189341-GWF-DPS-build
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?173021-ExtinctioN-style-GWF-Initiator-leave-them-all-bloody

Also, comments in the forums so far seem to indicate that while most agree that the GWF needs some tweaking/fine-tuning; agreeing on exactly what needs to be changed is something else
  • demattodematto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have altoholism, and I've been having some difficulty finding the class in this game that's right for me. So I've been deleting and playing a lot of characters in the 1-16 bracket over and over and over.
    GWF is the worst class for this. Period. It's not even a contest. The margin is so huge that something HAS to be broken. There's no other conceivable explanation. People aren't joking when they say GWFs are swinging sticks. GWF deals somewhere between 25-50% of the damage that other classes do at similar levels. Best weapon. Best Armor. Capped strength, campfire. 3 stacks of 3% destroyer. Doesn't matter that you're getting +20% damage on your attacks. +20% on 30 matters SQUAT when you're fighting Karzov (a boss who uses a 2handed sword) who hits you for 100 with a regular attack.

Sure Strike is the weakest at-will in the game, and it's supposed to be GWF's bread and butter for one-on-one combat for, what, 25 levels? The tutorial says it damages all foes in front of you. If that were true, I could understand having lower damage, and I could even understand the reduced damage per target beyond the first that the game applies. Unfortunately it does not damage all foes in front of you. I have an easier time hitting 3 enemies with a Rogue's Dazing Strike than I do hitting more than 1 thing with Sure Strike.

Then there's the mobility thing. Every class except GWF has some invincibility frame to their shift, which leads to GWF taking more damage, yet the stamina drain is so fast that you're essentially spending the same resource amount as everyone else, but with the added qualification that you can still take damage. Perhaps reduced stamina drain, to account for the fact that they have to be quicker and run more to "play defensive"?

I see people defending the early levels of GWF all the time, talking about how they didn't use potions and never died. But they make it sound like you only ever fight mobs every 20 seconds, when you've got all your CDs and the enemies aren't rushing you and ranging you as you charge up your AOE routine, or attacking as you move in because Leap has awful range.
  • djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morbic wrote: »
    GWFs aren't a striker role class. They are technically a Defender role that gives up some pure tanking capabilites for 2H weapon damage ranges and AE combat damage. If both TRs out-tank you and GFs out-damage you when build for tanking or damage respectively then you know the class needs tweaking.

So whats a swordmaster paragon path? dont say its a defender cos its not - what people fail to understand is there will be 1 class with multiple paths leading to different things. Currently as it is the swordmaster path is based around a striker, there could be another paragon path leading more toward a defender. The current path has 2 dps trees and 1 offtank tree - to me that says its a striker regardless of DnD rules or not and u cant just say "its dnd rules its a defender' cos the evidence is quite clear thats not how this game works
  • nwobrocknwobrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've got a 51 GWF (I know, I'm not 60 so obviously I can't know what I'm talking about...) and my opinion is that GWF is both the weakest class and the most fun to play.

I have 4 alts all in the 20-35 range and they are just boring compared to GWF.

GWF play is challenging and the abilities that stun or send enemies prone are the most satisfying skills in the game...especially Avalanche of Steel.

If GWF got an across the board 20% increase in damage and feats/paragons that increased Aggro generation and invulnerability while sprinting he would be a fine class in all situations.

As it stands he is a BLAST to play but is a liability to any group that is serious about completing content.

There is NO reason whatsoever to want a GWF over any other class for anything, at all, ever...and that isthe problem.
  • akostisakostis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    Even at lvl 60 GWF damage is mediocre at best. It gets slightly better with high end gears and such but still lacks alot. Even in DDO two handed weapon types get the advantage of high damage output. This games two handed fighter hits like he has a wet spagetti noodle for a weapon. There are some things that could be done to help it but its soo early in beta i doubt the class will be addressed.

Regards
  • r3dd4s2r3dd4s2 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    After 3-4 days of running Epic Dungeons,i would say its not much they need to chance so GWF can do his job right.

Imo the biggest problem is Fests and 2-3 Powers that need some tweaking.

Like Battle Fury, would be a really nice skill but it takes way to long till you get back spamming your skills and its,for that mechanic,gone way to fast again. If this would be another game i would say it need to get of GCD ^^

And 1 big problem that i have is, sprint isnt working right away if you allready swing your sword. That way if you dont have unstoppable up you cant react fast enough. Sprint imo should break every animation instant and stamina should be a little higher without spending points into the one feast. Or you need some other feasts/powers that give you huge knockback/stun resi.

Anyway if they just push GWF dmg up 20%+ like some ppl wanna do, it will be just op :cool:
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morbic wrote: »
    GWFs aren't a striker role class.

Actually, NWO specifically advertised the GWF as an AOE DPS first and an off-tank second, not to mention that the NW wiki describes it as being "mainly an offensive class".

So whether you prefer the AD&D RPG conventions or not, Cryptic intended the GWF to be an AOE DPS class, but got the scaling very badly wrong, at least at lower levels.
  • nwobrocknwobrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    akostis wrote: »
    Even at lvl 60 GWF damage is mediocre at best. It gets slightly better with high end gears and such but still lacks alot. Even in DDO two handed weapon types get the advantage of high damage output. This games two handed fighter hits like he has a wet spagetti noodle for a weapon. There are some things that could be done to help it but its soo early in beta i doubt the class will be addressed.

Regards

To me it isn't always about DPS. Let TR and CW rule the dps leaderboards.

I would like to see a small dps bump and status effects added to GWF hits. Give is percent chance to stun, interrupt, slow, etc per hit.

If we can't have damage give us SOMETHING
  • mmoplaya1971mmoplaya1971 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nwobrock wrote: »
    I've got a 51 GWF (I know, I'm not 60 so obviously I can't know what I'm talking about...) and my opinion is that GWF is both the weakest class and the most fun to play.

GWF play is challenging and the abilities that stun or send enemies prone are the most satisfying skills in the game...especially Avalanche of Steel.

If GWF got an across the board 20% increase in damage and feats/paragons that increased Aggro generation and invulnerability while sprinting he would be a fine class in all situations.

As it stands he is a BLAST to play but is a liability to any group that is serious about completing content.

There is NO reason whatsoever to want a GWF over any other class for anything, at all, ever...and that isthe problem.

Best summary I have seen. I agree 100% Weakest class, but most fun to play hit the nail right on the head. But like you say, no one wants a GWF in their group. I have been kicked right after zoning in to a dungeon and into PVP. Our rep is in the toilet. We really serve no purpose. I dropped mine and rolled TR for super ultra EZ mode. Wow, what a difference!!!!
  • nowimnothinnowimnothin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I'd like to see sprint replaced with punishing charge. It works far better for avoiding damage than sprint ever does.
  • darkhandsdarkhands Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?212312-GWF-vs-TR-Shouldn-t-size-matter

This, basically. Just try to ignore the DPS arguments unless it is related to its distribution.
  • daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dematto wrote: »

Then there's the mobility thing. Every class except GWF has some invincibility frame to their shift, which leads to GWF taking more damage, yet the stamina drain is so fast that you're essentially spending the same resource amount as everyone else, but with the added qualification that you can still take damage. Perhaps reduced stamina drain, to account for the fact that they have to be quicker and run more to "play defensive"?

I see people defending the early levels of GWF all the time, talking about how they didn't use potions and never died. But they make it sound like you only ever fight mobs every 20 seconds, when you've got all your CDs and the enemies aren't rushing you and ranging you as you charge up your AOE routine, or attacking as you move in because Leap has awful range.
    nwobrock wrote: »

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten hit while sprinting away because I was just a little late or the fact that he actually doesn't start sprinting until about a half second AFTER you hit shift. Id say half the time at least.
  • cichardcichard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWF perform very well at the role intended... AOE DPS slaughter all the adds before they overwhelm us. Now if you want to top the dps meter thats gonna be hard because your single target sucks... so during boss fights before and after adds are killed your dps will drop. Now im level 46 and i did 2.3mil damage as a TR on the pirate instance the GWF did 1.9mil, id say thats really good for a class thats ment to only aoe stuff down.... he isnt ment to be top dps he is ment to kill the adds.. With a Good CW and a good GWF adds just get wrecked. The CW pulls all the mobs together the GWF aoes them down TR stays on the boss. This isnt hard to figure out guys.