test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A warning (and sad cry for help) about dyes and weapons

ladydwarfladydwarf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
EDIT: A couple of logouts and log-back-ins seemed to solve my particular dilemma, but the bug itself persists. Sometimes the game is allowing weapons to be dyed and sometimes not -- seemingly after you succeed at it once, it suddenly decides dying weapons is not allowed, putting error text on the screen to that effect. The original post is below.

I've already submitted a plea to GMs about this, but I thought I'd make a post about it in case any other rogues out there are thinking about dying their weapons to match each other. I've seen some crazy logic-defying bugs in MMOs before, but this one really takes the prize.

I have two identical weapons on my rogue, a pair of Thickgristle's Jagged Daggers. These are good weapons by my non-dungeon-running standards and cost me a good handful of diamonds to acquire, so they're rather valuable to me. Each has been transmuted to have the appearance of a lower level model that I prefer.

Today I acquired a few harvest dye kits off the auction house, planning to dye each weapon to give them pretty gold blades. The first dye kit was applied with no issue whatsoever. When I tried to dye the second dagger, it put the red "X" over the slot and an error appeared on the screen: "Weapons cannot be dyed."

This despite the fact that the game just let me dye the first one, not fifteen seconds prior ... but it gets even more nonsensical. Thinking maybe just one of the daggers was bugged, I tested dragging the dye kit into the appearance slot of the already-dyed item, and again got the red X and error. I tried on multiple other weapons too, no dice.

It's as if the game just now decided that I'm not allowed to dye any weapons, after already dying one. Like it caught me committing some sort of no-no and it's suddenly saying "hey, no more of that".

After fooling around with it for a bit and running out of patience, I decided I'd just burn some more diamonds on transmuting the dyed one back to the plain model again. This was a bad idea. It burned the diamonds alright, but the dye is still there. I also tried a dye removal kit; just like the dye kits, it throws the red X and error.

Thanks to this ridiculous bug, I have effectively spent a whole bunch of diamonds to force myself to have mismatched weapons. This is the exact opposite of what I wanted to do. I assume a GM can restore things for me (dye both, make them both plain, I don't care, I just want them to match ... and hey, refunding my lost diamonds would be nice too.)

In the meantime, don't do what I did. It'll only end in tears and baffled head-shaking at how the (expletive) the game allowed such a self-contradictory situation to happen in the first place. Given the wait time on tickets, if anyone else knows of a way to fix this, please let me know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Learn more about this heretical halfling on the Neverwinter Hall of Records or Neverwinter Roleplayers
Post edited by ladydwarf on

Comments

• Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eh? How on Earth did you manage to dye even one of them? Can we see it? :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    ladydwarfladydwarf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eh? How on Earth did you manage to dye even one of them? Can we see it? :D

Sure, give me a few and I'll get some screens.

My assumption (reasonable, I thought) was that the transmutation feature gives you the exact look of the new item, i.e. if you take a dyed item and transmute to a new non-dyed one, the dyes go away, since it's absorbing the full appearance of the new model. This is apparently not the case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Learn more about this heretical halfling on the Neverwinter Hall of Records or Neverwinter Roleplayers
  • Options
    hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ladydwarf wrote: »
    Sure, give me a few and I'll get some screens.
    Neato, thanks :3 It bothers me that I can't dye my weapons to match the rest of my gear >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Pics and tooltips:

weapondye01.jpg

weapondye02.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Might be a silly question. Was one in weapon slot and one in off hand at this time? Did you try swapping them around and repeating ?
  • Options
    ahrimavizxahrimavizx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh wow, I had a feeling that they were supposed to be dyeable. That's awesome, I have never been able to get it to work.
  • Options
    stonedbillstonedbill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's dope that you can dye weapons. I hope this gets resolved!
    1ovlbg9.png

Smoke@stonedbill - Mindflayer - 60 Rogue
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elawyn wrote: »
    Might be a silly question. Was one in weapon slot and one in off hand at this time? Did you try swapping them around and repeating ?

Alas, indeed. :( Tried swapping slots, unequipping and changing from the inventory, sticking them in the bank, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    holy balls that looks awesome. why can't we do this in the first place? sounds like more money going into their pockets and errrrybody knows they like that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Very nice... Now make it a feature! D:<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Okay, making this even more peculiar, having logged out and back in again (even though I tried that once before), it let me dye the second dagger. But again, after dying it once, it suddenly decides no weapons at all can be dyed.

Not that I'm complaining as this solves my problem, but this bug makes no sense. :confused:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lordtureilimlordtureilim Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    I was wondering about that....I was able to dye my wizard's Orb but decided against it (It's a frickin softball, for god's sake Who's gonna notice?) and was wondering if I was able to do that normally...Outside of Guild Wars I never ran into too many games with dye-able weapons.
    "The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time. "
    What better happen when Paladins are introduced someday...A glorious union it shall be.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Okay, making this even more peculiar, having logged out and back in again (even though I tried that once before), it let me dye the second dagger. But again, after dying it once, it suddenly decides no weapons at all can be dyed.

Not that I'm complaining as this solves my problem, but this bug makes no sense. :confused:
    I'm going to try it on my CW... Probably won't get any results, but it's worth a shot!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    My initial attempt failed, but my second attempt succeeded. You must drag the dye to the slot, not select it from the appearance menu. Validating screenshot;
    tjFmSaK.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Nice. :) Hopefully we can nail down exactly when the game allows this to happen. In my case, after successfully dying a weapon once, neither dragging to the slot nor selecting from the list works on subsequent attempts.

Clearly the weapons are designed to be dyed, yet there's a hard-coded message that says "weapons cannot be dyed". Maybe the message and restriction are just a relic from an earlier build and never entirely removed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Nice. :) Hopefully we can nail down exactly when the game allows this to happen. In my case, after successfully dying a weapon once, neither dragging to the slot nor selecting from the list works on subsequent attempts.

Clearly the weapons are designed to be dyed, yet there's a hard-coded message that says "weapons cannot be dyed". Maybe the message and restriction are just a relic from an earlier build and never entirely removed.
    It's certainly not consistent... Which is odd... It means that there's a client-side variable controlling it.

Another two attempts failed, but I did manage to confirm that weapon dyes will be transferred if you use them as an appearance modifier, as usual;

TxVdExi.png

As a note, my success was with a Nightmare dye pack and I'm currently trying it with a single Pink dye. It looks like it could be a property of dye packs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    First mistake ... your playing a hobbit
    Second mistake ... this aint LoTR

... sorry couldn't resist , I got nothing against gnomes its not like they are dirty dwarfs .

ORCS RULE !!!!
  • Options
    wakerglasswakerglass Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    good looking rogue non the less! are the clothes you're wearing later-level fashion items?
  • Options
    thirstmutilatorrthirstmutilatorr Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey at least you were able to dye one. It keeps telling me I cant!

Cool weapon btw!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wakerglass wrote: »
    good looking rogue non the less! are the clothes you're wearing later-level fashion items?

It's actually just the peasant garb you get from the "Rags to Riches" quest after the tutorial. :) Both pieces have been dyed with harvest dye kits to look a bit less grungy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gruntpyregruntpyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Had this issue previously, glad to see dyeing weapon is possible.
  • Options
    haven112haven112 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Ok, I figured it out. This is how it works for me. Follow the following steps and it will very likely work for you as well:

1. Exit the game completely if you're already in-game. Afterwards, re-enter it.
    2. Close the starting window that always opens when you start the game, open character sheet, open inventory with the dye you want.
    3. Right-click on the weapon you want to change the appearance of to make the preview window pop up.
    4. DRAG the dye that you want to put on your weapon from your inventory into the empty slot.

If you want to add a second dye to your second weapon if you're a rogue, or yet another dye to the same weapon, you must repeat the steps again. The only problem with this is that if you are using a dye that doesn't cover accent, primary, and secondary all at the same time, you cannot actually preview the weapon, so it's based on trial and error, or in my case, luck! I hope this helps a lot of people who were finding this problematic.
  • Options
    alantiaalantia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    haven112 wrote: »
    Ok, I figured it out. This is how it works for me. Follow the following steps and it will very likely work for you as well:

2. Close the starting window that always opens when you start the game, open character sheet, open inventory with the dye you want.
    3. Right-click on the weapon you want to change the appearance of to make the preview window pop up.
    4. DRAG the dye that you want to put on your weapon from your inventory into the empty slot.

If you want to add a second dye to your second weapon if you're a rogue, or yet another dye to the same weapon, you must repeat the steps again. The only problem with this is that if you are using a dye that doesn't cover accent, primary, and secondary all at the same time, you cannot actually preview the weapon, so it's based on trial and error, or in my case, luck! I hope this helps a lot of people who were finding this problematic.

Nice I have to try this, thanks.
    It is what it is:cool:
  • Options
    therancidcattherancidcat Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    haven112 wrote: »

Its even easier than that, just press c, click on any piece of armor and change appearance, drag your dye into the slot, with the change appearance window still open, click change appearance on your weapon, the armour item will swap with the weapon and the dye will stay in the slot.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    . . . . .Please edit in your Ticket Incident Number into your OP. I'm moving this to Bug Reports as that is the first place QA looks when coming to reviews for Bug Reports. Thanks!
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2013
    Devs: More feedback (duplicate topic).
  • Options
    xqqqm3xqqqm3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I seriously thought this was a real part of the game, and the fact that it isn't makes me rather sad. I got it too, but since got rid of it.