test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Open world pvp

24

Comments

  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    Funny I don't remember NWN1 Having a PvP Mode. Not saying it didn't, just that I don't remember it! Also it wasn't part of the actual RPG correct?

    NWN1 and NWN2 both had PVP as part of the actual game. It was up tot he dungeon master to decide which areas.
  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jaguar74 wrote: »
    What's the point to group? if you have to greed for gear.
    They can add another server for open world pvp, just like Tera online has.

    You can set loot options ya know.
    And yes, if they can add another server for the hXc PvP'ers this game would stir soooo much sht up
    And there NEEDS to be a duel feature for fun and for the RP'ers, how the hell are you supposed to RP a fight if you can't actualy fight?
  • Options
    salamansalaman Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The maps in this game are far too tiny and restricted to make them 'open world' pvp. You'd be fighting other people constantly so in the end those interested in PvE would be forced to queue for instances and play Foundry. Also I'd rather not give the PvP whiners more legitimacy to have classes nerfed/buffed for the sake of PvP balance while <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up the balance in PvE (something Blizzard did a lot which was a major gripe I had against WoW).

    Open world PvP works in the right sort of games (I played AC darktide, SWG overt, WoW PvP servers) and this is not one of those games.
  • Options
    firefly113firefly113 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited May 2013
    ascher11t wrote: »
    What does Age of Conan have to do with this? It wouldn't be like it, because it's different game. I'm simply wondering, if you have ever even PvP'd in OWPvP games. That is the most fun I've ever have had in my life out of all the games I've played. Lineage 2, TERA. These two are simply done right.

    It would be AoC all over again because there's no factions. Also you can't really help others if you're a very AoE dependent class/build.

    Do you know how many times I've seen someone jump in to help someone else only to KILL them in the process?

    Yeah, sounds like fun.

    I've played on a WoW PvP server. Do you know how many times I got ganked by a ?? character?

    At least twice a day. At least twice a day.

    And camped at least once a week.

    Yeah, sounds like fun. And that's with factions, so you KNOW who that person will be when you see them. Factionless, you don't know. They could be right behind you, watching you. That guardian fighter might be ready to stab you at any moment. They're waiting for you to be vulnerable.

    But if you KILL THEM first, then they can't hurt you.

    Yeah, sounds like fun.

    Seriously, open world PvP, especially in a factionless game, needs a lot of control. Not to mention that, yeah, D&D is for the most part a PvE game. Players get together and play against the Dungeon Master's work. PvP was optional. It should be optional here, if it's implemented.

    PvPers got their cookie. Now please leave PvE alone.
  • Options
    copticonecopticone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    c3z wrote: »
    Should there be open world PVP similar to PerfectWorld?

    I am not sure if you are aware of this or not, but there isn't an "Open World" in this game to even implement an "Open World PvP". Every instanced area is tight packed for questing. If you allow PvP in any of them, about 90% of the player base will be QQ non-stop because they cant get their quests done.
    If on the other hand you are referring to a completely new instanced area, specific for PvP, that's another story.
    Check out my personal Nerf Proof T2 Thaumaturge Build.
  • Options
    z3nkiz3nki Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Perfectworld PVP system was truely a good system that I would love to see implemented into this game. I was expecting to see it but I guess because we are in Beta I can keep expecting it in the future.

    It would also help the fact that there is no interaction of players! You quest and you trade, that is not interacting I can do that with NPCs what I like having REAL PLAYERS for is role playing.. Real role playing like I am a elf I hate Orc so I am going to go kill that orc, or hey that guy just kissed my women, whats that about lemme go talk.. in both cases the way this game is setup I have to RP like I am in a Rated G movie because there is no PvP in the open world.
  • Options
    z3nkiz3nki Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And why can't I duel anyone?!
  • Options
    someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Instance zones are limited to 15 people, unless I'm missing something. They are also fairly linear and small, with single exits and limited spawn points. That means, easy to camp, which is bad. No thanks.
  • Options
    lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    22bfbcbb299f89f31a5aec69a8730f0b.jpg
  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    salaman wrote: »
    The maps in this game are far too tiny and restricted to make them 'open world' pvp.

    so instead of having 20+ (idk exactly how many) different instances for each adventuring zone like they have now.. why not have 10 PvE, 10 PvP instances? You want to go do your quests without the fun and suspense of PvP, joint he PvP instance. This way you can keep the shards the same as they and just change the adventure zone instances.

    Just because you dont think so doesnt mean it can't be done and I know there are PLENTY others in the community who agree it can be done and ther are plenty of ways to make it happen.
  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »
    Instance zones are limited to 15 people, unless I'm missing something. They are also fairly linear and small, with single exits and limited spawn points. That means, easy to camp, which is bad. No thanks.

    If you're afraid of PvP then assuming the PvP / PvE instances/shards idea gets accepted do yourself a favor and stick to PvE.

    thats why they have this thing called SAFE ZONES. If you get killed in PvE you respawn at a fire no? Just do the same if you get killed in PvP. Most campfires are right next to the exit almost ALWAYS. So your argument is invalid.

    And I believe instances hold 20 people max, I usualy scroll to the bottom and join the one with the most players which is almost ALWAYS 19, and then +1 when i join, making it a full instance.
  • Options
    lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why cant you just take the hundreds of hints ?


    NO
  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    firefly113 wrote: »
    It would be AoC all over again because there's no factions. Also you can't really help others if you're a very AoE dependent class/build.

    This is why we have guilds and parties.

    Do you know how many times I've seen someone jump in to help someone else only to KILL them in the process?

    THis is why you party invite.

    Yeah, sounds like fun.

    I've played on a WoW PvP server. Do you know how many times I got ganked by a ?? character?

    At least twice a day. At least twice a day.

    Well this world isnt seamless so its VERY easy to avoid getting ganked or camped on...


    Yeah, sounds like fun. And that's with factions, so you KNOW who that person will be when you see them. Factionless, you don't know. They could be right behind you, watching you. That guardian fighter might be ready to stab you at any moment. They're waiting for you to be vulnerable.

    But if you KILL THEM first, then they can't hurt you.

    Yeah, sounds like fun.

    Seriously, open world PvP, especially in a factionless game, needs a lot of control. Not to mention that, yeah, D&D is for the most part a PvE game. Players get together and play against the Dungeon Master's work. PvP was optional. It should be optional here, if it's implemented.

    SO HOW ABOUT they implement a toggle switch for the PvE'ers and PvP'ers? If you head out, toggle yourself ready for PvP so that you can participate in PvP wherever you are, and the PvE'ers can toggle not ready for PvP so they can be left alone, problem solved, both parties are happy, no?

    PvPers got their cookie. Now please leave PvE alone.

    Both parties can get their cookies and both can be left alone if you read what I just said. TOo much doubt, not enough creative thought i see...


    *EDIT* And to prevent exploits and camping, have it set so that you can only set ready/not ready for PVP in a safe zone like a campfire or before leaving protectors enclave.
  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    copticone wrote: »
    I am not sure if you are aware of this or not, but there isn't an "Open World" in this game to even implement an "Open World PvP". Every instanced area is tight packed for questing. If you allow PvP in any of them, about 90% of the player base will be QQ non-stop because they cant get their quests done.
    If on the other hand you are referring to a completely new instanced area, specific for PvP, that's another story.

    Yeah, there can be work arounds to avoid the QQ. Its been done before, it can be done again and, but better.
  • Options
    viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    World PvP, uh no!
    Specific area PvP, sure as long as it isn't required to get to max level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lichlament wrote: »
    why cant you just take the hundreds of hints ?


    NO

    Because they arent hints lol..


    SOunds to me more like concerns, peole are concerned it'll get in the way of their PvE gamestyle... and if you could ONLY READ WHATS BEING SAID, you'll see nobody is trying to take that away from you, so its okay, dont be scared of the PvP.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In Star Trek Online (another Cryptic game) -- they have specific "warzones" where the two factions (Federation and Klingon) can PvP openly -- that is, the whole zone is PvP by faction (there are Klingon-specific ones where no Feds can go that are totally open PvP unless you're partied -- can't kill your team). I imagine there will, eventually, be zones like that added here. There is no notion of faction here, so perhaps Guild will be the thing (there is a setting in Guild management that appears to relate to guild alliances).

    In any case. Just give NW some time, it's only been public for a couple weeks -- there's a lot of changes to be made and you can bet how PvP is handled is one of them. However, despite what's been said, there will be little support overall for open world PvP and frankly, it would be a huge departure from how Cryptic does things. It's not going to happen. However -- faction-based open PvP zones? I think it's a pretty good bet we WILL see that sort of thing.
  • Options
    wasabisnooterwasabisnooter Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am all for Open World PvP if it can be done right.
    Guild Based pvp, Guilds can openly declare war against one another. Both sides must accept so that its mutual. once in a war regardless of lvls pvp is activated VS anyone in those guilds in any zone they happen to be in. Lasts until 1 side or both surrenders or decides they no longer wish war. simple.

    This is an interesting idea. We do not currently have factions, so something like this might work.
    The Emperor's Staff: NW-DUUNOHIB2

    The Retribution of Kel'thalun: NW-DJ46U5NZG

    The Conquering of Ymir: NW-D12TWV3K3
  • Options
    joormodejoormode Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »

    Awesome..cant wait for that open pvp dungeon
  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    faleth77 wrote: »
    World PvP, uh no!
    Specific area PvP, sure as long as it isn't required to get to max level.

    Would you be okay if every area was PvP but you had the option to not participate and carry on about your PvE gamestyle?

    I cant see you disagreeing with this, nor can I see the other PvE'ers disagreeing with this method.
  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    joormode wrote: »
    Awesome..cant wait for that open pvp dungeon

    THere better be more than one whole dungeon...

    didnt you spent enough time grinding away in dungeons jsut so you could spend your endgame, well what do you know, IN A DUNGEON!?
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they intended for the game to have open world PvP they would have put open world PvP in. What they did was provide an area for PvP, in the form of an arena. That this is meager at best, shows that PvP is not a major concern of the developers, and they don't expect it to be a major concern of the player base.

    It is not surprising that PvP isn't a huge focus of the title, as Dungeons and Dragons in PnP form is much more of a PvE game than it is a PvP game. Players expecting PvP to be a major focus of the game show that they are unfamiliar with the source material. I think it is highly unlikely that the game will provide much more in terms of PvP than it does already.

    Those wishing a game with more PvP focus will probably have to look elsewhere.
  • Options
    jjb828jjb828 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe some more forms of PvP... Guild Wars had my favorite PvP ever, so maybe Guild Vs. Guild... Some Deathmatch type stuff, like when the whole team is dead that team loses, etc...
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
  • Options
    lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    c3z wrote: »
    Because they arent hints lol..


    SOunds to me more like concerns, peole are concerned it'll get in the way of their PvE gamestyle... and if you could ONLY READ WHATS BEING SAID, you'll see nobody is trying to take that away from you, so its okay, dont be scared of the PvP.

    Yeah I read everything said...

    Guess what...

    No...

    Why can't you accept that ?

    You want PvP, go play Call of Duty
  • Options
    lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    If they intended for the game to have open world PvP they would have put open world PvP in. What they did was provide an area for PvP, in the form of an arena. That this is meager at best, shows that PvP is not a major concern of the developers, and they don't expect it to be a major concern of the player base.

    It is not surprising that PvP isn't a huge focus of the title, as Dungeons and Dragons in PnP form is much more of a PvE game than it is a PvP game. Players expecting PvP to be a major focus of the game show that they are unfamiliar with the source material. I think it is highly unlikely that the game will provide much more in terms of PvP than it does already.

    Those wishing a game with more PvP focus will probably have to look elsewhere.

    This is the reason exactly.
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    c3z wrote: »
    NWN1 and NWN2 both had PVP as part of the actual game. It was up tot he dungeon master to decide which areas.
    I musta played a different Title then. Cause I don't remember playing as Drzzt On line. Thanks.

    EDIT:
    ... Baldur's Gate & BG2!
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    If they intended for the game to have open world PvP they would have put open world PvP in. What they did was provide an area for PvP, in the form of an arena. That this is meager at best, shows that PvP is not a major concern of the developers, and they don't expect it to be a major concern of the player base.

    It is not surprising that PvP isn't a huge focus of the title, as Dungeons and Dragons in PnP form is much more of a PvE game than it is a PvP game. Players expecting PvP to be a major focus of the game show that they are unfamiliar with the source material. I think it is highly unlikely that the game will provide much more in terms of PvP than it does already.

    Those wishing a game with more PvP focus will probably have to look elsewhere.


    Actualy, PVP was a MAJOR concern of theirs, hence why they seperated it like that. They were so concerned that PvP might ruin the gameplay for the PvE'ers.

    But this is why I started the thread, to hear the concerns of both parties.

    I can't imagine it being that hard to create a work around to make every area PvP-able to those who choose to want to PvP, like a toggle switch if you will.
  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    I musta played a different Title then. Cause I don't remember playing as Drzzt On line. Thanks.

    EDIT:
    ... Baldur's Gate & BG2!

    ahhh yes, that would be where you got Drzzt from.

    BG and NWN are really similar.
  • Options
    killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There should be a PvP server or a zone for World PvP. The more freedom this game can give, the more it will tend to the needs of D&D players.
    Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
    game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
  • Options
    c3zc3z Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lichlament wrote: »
    Yeah I read everything said...

    Guess what...

    No...

    Why can't you accept that ?

    You want PvP, go play Call of Duty


    You're making no contributions to this discussion.
Sign In or Register to comment.