test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Paying cash To Respec - Everyone post your thoughts.

Comments

• terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stratxzz wrote: »
    You can only refine 24,000 AD a day.
    ----

I probably wouldn't of started this thread if the website took my money and gave me Zen.

I have bought plenty, spent on keys and bags etc.. But when I need it the most , to spec and start getting used to my character I get charged but don't receive the ZEN.... Angry

So you don't know how to use the Auction House to make money. Check.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captive411captive411 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is a free game. If you just want to quest and enjoy it casually, it costs $0. That's pretty awesome. If you want to get into min/maxing and high level end game content, yes, respecs, enchants, wards, etc... are most likely necessary. It only makes sense that if you are one of those that are enjoying the most content in the game, you'll actually have to spend some cash. I don't have a problem with any of this stuff, yet. The point it becomes a problem for me is when I have to spend more $ than I feel I am getting in content.
  • threesideddiethreesideddie Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too find this a huge deal. I'm coming from WoW where you certainly want to make spec/glyph adjustments constantly to get the perfect edge. Now if constant respecs are not needed, then as a certain crab would put it: Powers are not choices to begin with. You go with the cookie cutter and never change it.

I would say the game loses more if respecs are needless than if they are cheaper.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    Mock outrage? Thanks for belittling everyone who has a different opinion to you on the matter.

Again we have a post from someone who has no idea of why many people want to have a more affordable way to respec or why having such a high respec price in a game with quite a robust character progression system is actually bad for the game.

Please try to understand that many people who want an affordable repec option will be respeccing much more than twice a year and their purpose will be to explore new builds. Spending $6 is a ridiculously large amount of money to do that, which will stop all but the very rich, crazy, or those who love grinding AD from respeccing to experiment and build the game's meta.

You obviously do not play mmos in this way, and that is fine; but many mmo players love this element of experimentation and tinkering and it is something that can be done in many popular mmos on the market without having to pay out hard cash- even ones like GW which are B2P- ie effectively cheaper than a "f2P" game.

Sorry, when people multiple accounts to push their agenda on the forums and then you see them laughing about it in Zone chat, yeah it's mock outrage, I get that some people are legitimately concerned, but a lot of this hair pulling is from trolls piling on.

I also understand that some people play that way, but you can explore new builds by creating new characters, I leave one slot open just for that purpose, and even if you respec five times a year that's under $40.00 for an entire year of game play, people who have to be rich to keep up with there rabid respecing have issues beyond this game. Some folsk aren't going to be happy with PWe no matter what they do and I have my own issues with them, but this isn't one of them.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So you don't know how to use the Auction House to make money. Check.

Which would be a great argument, if over the course of an average play session you got anything that actually sells in the AH.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What's with these people with mediocre jobs trying to brag that they have money?

I've been playing WoW since vanilla. Not continuously, but played a good portion so at least a few years of subs and of course the full price of every xpac. Money is not the issue. Again it's the principle of it.

It was a dealbreaker for me when I first heard about respecs that prevented me from even trying the game. I know for a fact that the overall pricing scheme is being a deterrent to many others as well and it's really unfortunate because the game has so much potential.

When people smell a cash grab, they run, but you notice they will pay if they find value in it just like WoW or any other paid games. This is not about money. Get it through your skull. It's about the principle and method.
  • callmedeuxcallmedeux Member Posts: 182 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    Which would be a great argument, if over the course of an average play session you got anything that actually sells in the AH.

Funny seeing as how I don't even bother with the PvE side of things.

Almost every pvp match I earn a piece of gear, 50% of the time that gear is blue, it sells on the ah for between 10-20k AD.

Guess there is an issue though if you aren't good at the game and have 0 luck with drops...
  • nornsavantnornsavant Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    “I don’t care about my character or how well he does.”

“It doesn’t bother me at all when other similar characters make me look like I don’t know what I’m doing.”

“Losing battles because I made bad decisions in my build is just fine with me.”

If the above sounds like something you would say or if you hold the positions above, then the respect charge will never affect you. If, however, in your heart of hearts, you believe that the aforementioned statements are goofy in the utmost, then you are a likely candidate for a respect at some point in the future.

The character builds are not horrendously complex but there seems to be some room for failure. Even if you aren’t a min-maxer and don’t plan to squeeze every “1” and “0” out of the system, there may still come that time when you wished you had gone a different direction with your points.

Can you have enough points to get everything? If so then the charge is indeed a luxury, an unnecessary addition because in time all things will come to you and your character. If this is not the case however then you have some decisions to make, there are things that you will not get, not ever. And if you miss something you didn’t want to miss, respect or reroll suckah.

It’s a cash grab no doubt, and that’s fine. Please direct the “but they gots to make money” clamor to your local congressman. Mainly I question whether or not they have considered the effect it will have on the game as a whole. I am always a little shocked when a group of normally intelligent people miss an obvious thought train like “yeah but what will this do to the game”.

This charge will really have the effect of turning tested builds into gold and contributing to an overall cookie-cutter feel to each class in the game. The builds will end up with names like the “Point Defense Cleric Build” or the “Power of Friendship GWF build”. Theorycrafters, get your names in quick, only the best will last. Groups and Raids will begin insisting on certain builds while others will be judged inferior. It will be like a 6$ entrance fee to the group, make the check out to PWE.

To look a bit further into the future, the other option offered, the notorious reroll, will make power-leveling and exploits very much worth it. They will become their own de-facto pyrrhic currency. 6$ to PWE or however many astral diamonds to a grinder to get my NEW charrie up to level. Whelp, I cant take them with me (easily), so I might as well.

But don’t take my word for it. Any EQ2 raiders here who had to alter their build from gameplay to raid? Rift (rip) demanded certain builds (albeit for free). In fact have anyone of you played any other MMOs where you were never tempted to alter your build after the fact? Excepting Hello Kitty online, I rocked that business the first time through yo!

So at best it will make certain builds stagnant standards and at worst it is a game mechanic that preys on the inherent OCD and vanity of players in a community most of whom want to be as good as their peers. As reprehensibility goes there are worse sins. I don’t think it was thought out very well but hey it’s their game. I just get to pray stay ploy cray

GAH!!

Reroll!

F.A.Q

But you can transfer AD and it’s not that hard.

Yeah the wiki covers that but there is a charge in doing that and given the amount of AD you will be moving around, I think it is likely that you will lose more than 6$ worth so either pay for the respect or dump your stash into making your next character easier to play, or do it all the hard way. Pick one and stick to it kid.

What about Zen, you didn’t cover that, smart guy.
    That’s because I am really lazy guy masquerading as smart guy and I think I will let you discuss the ramifications of Zen on the economy as it relates to paid respecs. Get on it kid.

You can’t really see the future.

I don’t have to. I can see the past and the other games that have gone this way. And because I am sitting in front of the worlds lowest paid research assistant I can give you the quote.

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it,"

George Santayana, Reason in Common Sense

Look it up kid.

I’m not a kid.

… then get off mah lawn!
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Respeccing is not a "luxury", its a basic function in mmorpgs due to a plethora of reasons ranging from guilds and friends changing to meet current needs, to fixing a simple mistake, to dealing with the constant mechanical changes that character classes go through over the life of an mmorpg, to simply wishing to try something new.

None of those are reasons someone MUST respec. They are all reasons someone might want to respec. Basically you learn to play and adjust your character over 60 levels as you play them. You did take the time to level up slowly playing all the levels right? Learning how your powers work right?

Basically you don't need to respec you want to respec. And that is why it is good that they charge $6 per respec token.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valvexenvalvexen Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    arnathos wrote: »
    I am in the opinion that respec is a luxury and knowing that you may have to pay to respec should impact decision when chosing how you want to build your customer. It was best said in another post. If you play PnP how much would a respec cost you? The answer is nothing because it is not an option in DnD PnP . I feel that a slight charge is fine for a respec as too many players do not learn to play their classes being they are constantly respecing to test things instead of reading up/trying their class.

Testing things out should deserve a penalty? While still in a beta phase never the less were things get changed often, who cares about pnp, this is a mmo with certain standards people have come to expect.
  • redstorm55redstorm55 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    Everyone should get ONE free respec for powers and feats, and then that's it. You'll have to pay for it after. You could give 50% discount off for Heroes of the north, and 30% off for guardians, 15% for starters. Just my 2 cents.

I think everyone should have at least one chance to play through their character to level 60, find out what they want to do with it, and get one respec. If they feel really strongly that they want to re-jig their skills, they'll have to pay for it after.

Another way is, ff you made it cheaper to respec while they are low levels(starting from 30-40), something more reasonable, people will go along with it as well. As it is right now, it seems as if you guys are still trying to figure out the tipping point.
  • gottneverwintergottneverwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Wow, I've never seen anyone hit so many 'obnoxious gamer-kid' stereotype points so quickly in succession before.

Lets run down the list of fallacies shall we:

1. Implying that only one respec will ever be needed.
    2. People who refuse to pay for something that should be free, are poor.
    3. Having a job automatically means one doesn't need to care about what they spend their money one, because if its in your pocket, who needs discretion?
    4. If you do find a price unacceptable, you don't have the money. Because discretionary spending is for suckers. Get a job. If you have a job, simply go down to the free job store, and get a higher paying job! So you can be less poor and won't be bothered by anything.
    5. Not spending money on any old thing despite what common sense or savvy would tell you, means you are poor!
    6. Doing something productive includes not making fanboys angry by criticising a game they like. Productive activities include insulting anyone with poorly thought out tantrums about poor people.
    7. Living in your parents' basement affords you no spare money, despite the fact that paying your own mortgage or rent, children, food, gas, etc. would leave you with far less frivolous spending to toss away on rearranging a few points on a character in a video game, than living in a basement.
    8. "A job" is a magical money tree.
    9. Those that can not foresee major game changes, or mistakes dozens of moves in advance, don't know how to "play".
    10. knowing how to build your character implies that there is one way to do so, you magically figured it out, and thus there will never be a need to change it, but if there is, you have a job so anything is doable.

You know what your posts tells me?

It tells me you're young. Probably 17-25. You probably live a ****ty apartment (if not the basement you accuse everyone else of living in), you drive a **** car, and you work for minimum wage. Being that you have a job but little to spend it on, and little common sense, you can freely dump it on <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Having a job and working for your money, should give you some appreciation for it.

I don't live in a crappy apartment. I don't drive a Bentley, but I also don't drive adam sandler's car either... just your average sports suv. I'm divorced, with no kids, so I have plenty of money to spend it on whatever I want. And I'm old enough to have a kid 17-25.

I may have worded things differently than the guy you quoted, but I agree with the gist of what he posted.

I don't think there should be respecs at all, but they've created a F2P game, which as we all know, means it's possible to play for free, but it's not meant to.

They need a way to get a few bucks from everyone now and again, and this is one way to do it.

If you want to pay your one time fee and play an MMO for free forever, don't respec. It's not gonna make that much of a difference.

I also imagine they'll do what every other game does when making extreme class changes and give out free respecs when they deem it necessary.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too find this a huge deal. I'm coming from WoW where you certainly want to make spec/glyph adjustments constantly to get the perfect edge. Now if constant respecs are not needed, then as a certain crab would put it: Powers are not choices to begin with. You go with the cookie cutter and never change it.

I would say the game loses more if respecs are needless than if they are cheaper.

The problem here is that this game is not made for min/maxers. You are much more effective by having situational awareness and some skill with a mouse and keyboard than you are trying to squeeze in 1% more crit

There is a free option, just reroll the character. You can do this as much as you want, absolutely free.

Sure, you came from wow, and they have a different system there. But this isn't wow, and people need to realize that.

The sub model is dying out, and it isn't coming back any time soon.
  • nexarnexar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Stop grinding your way to 60 on exploits and you won't need to respec so much. I'd rather pay $6 once in a while for a respec than $15/month whether I need them or not.

Exactly my thoughts.
    Long-term Uber Dungeon Master planning to publish some epic hot adventures...
    edited May 2013
    if you're serious about PvP one free respec is a joke

Every time you swap in a new teammate half your team will likely need to respec to optimize it

And you back the luxury arguement.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nexfariousnexfarious Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Obviously it's absurdity to charge real life money for the respec. But I will not deny that I went into this game with full knowledge of this situation, it has become the general practice of F2P mmo's. It is underhanded and decietful to newcommers though who don't yet know the ropes of how F2P games work.

As an incredibly serious gamer I require full knowledge of abilities and feats before I invest in them. I am not going to sit around and play a sub-par toon, I require perfection. I am also fully aware that true balance does NOT exist in games, and so I will seek out the most overpowered build possible, as my prerogative and nature demands!

So whats my beef with it? Well obviously the vague tooltips, and how there is no valid documentation of feats and powers actual value on the internet in the form of either an official or unofficial wiki/fansite. So there is no way I can make an informed decision. I have attempted to get a hold of high level players to interview for insight into the skills available in the game, a practice I have made a habit of when playing these types of F2P games. The main problem with this is that I do not trust random players, any number of cognitive biases roam around in their heads and their information is to be taken only with a grain of salt. As such I will spent a lot of time trying my hardest in every way possible to acquire the relevant information - by watching other peoples attack animations, and range of abilities, etc (all which are important factors in determining abilities value).

Suffice to say this is all really terrible for serious gamers, but on the other hand those serious gamers aren't the type of players to throw money at respec in games so it all works out for the business model....
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thahn204 wrote: »
    I'm not mad just bored before work and putting my thoughts down on a forum full of STORMDRAGONXXDARKNESSXXSLAYERXXFLAMINGSWORDX <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like you

And with posts like this, its no wonder you have such an amazing job!
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • molaighmolaigh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    $6 for a respec is just fine. I will be interested to see where the AD/Zen conversion rate settles to.
  • glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    isopoint wrote: »
    I've been playing WoW since vanilla. Not continuously, but played a good portion so at least a few years of subs and of course the full price of every xpac. Money is not the issue. Again it's the principle of it.

So...just so I understand...if you played WoW for say 5 years, basically half the time WoW has been out you paid a MINIMUM of $1,050.00 - Minimum!

And you are offended about a $6.00 Respec? You paid them $15.00 a month and didn't think twice about shelling out $39.99-$49.99 for Expansion packs on top of the $15.00 a month? You are twisted about a micro transaction for a Respec? Now you have control to pay for exactly what you want.....and it offends you?
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    So...just so I understand...if you played WoW for say 5 years, basically half the time WoW has been out you paid a MINIMUM of $1,050.00 - Minimum!

And you are offended about a $6.00 Respec? You paid them $15.00 a month and didn't think twice about shelling out $39.99-$49.99 for Expansion packs on top of the $15.00 a month? You are twisted about a micro transaction for a Respec? Now you have control to pay for exactly what you want.....and it offends you?

Not to mention, with all that money paid, he can't log in and play without paying even more!
  • nexarnexar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Well said.
    Long-term Uber Dungeon Master planning to publish some epic hot adventures...
    edited May 2013
    People who think you need to respec to go between playing PvP and PvE should probably actually try playing Neverwinter because they apparently haven't.

You have 7 slotted powers (8 if you are a CW) and 2 slotted class features. You get more than enough power points to know enough powers and class abilities to swap out for multiple builds. For free.

From what I can see most of the respec is required crowd are deep into PvP. More they apparently do everything they can to level as fast from 1 - 60 so they can do end game PvP. This means that they don't learn how to play their character which is why they need to respec the character over and over to figure out the mix of powers that is good for them.

Frankly if they want to do that it makes perfect sense to charge them $6 per respec.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captive411captive411 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013

What he said. I spent this much on WoW and was totally fine with it. WoW provided hours of entertainment. This game so far is providing entertainment and I've spent $0. I'm totally fine with the respec fee.
  • zalintozalinto Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is what I want:

Don't allow any respec AT ALL! Make them roll a new character. Also get rid of confirmation when you spend skills! Click it accidentally? you're stuck with it sucker, reroll! Smells like diablo 2 you say? Good. You should have paid more attention!

Just like IRL, you go to college for 4 years and come out with an art degree? You going to reroll? No go back to school and do it again, and stop making bad decisions :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ...adjust your character... ..Learning how your powers work right?...

Two things you can't do without respec.

Dickriding this bad design choice won't stop players leaving though.

Only Die hards and the Whales left soon. Shame you can't buy the creation of interesting foundry content.
    edited May 2013
    aren't half of those PWE/Cryptic games?

That should tell them that they have zero chance of changing the price here then doesn't it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bobzebrickbobzebrick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

To be fair for the $15 a month you get access to sea of features far outstripping anything available here. Also you are on an even playing field with everyone and at no point are you restricted in any way.

Comparing this game to WoW is suicide. You would have to spend 1000s of dollars and still you would not have the same opportunities in a month that WoW gives you for $15. Yet to mention the terrible PvP and character customization none of which WoW share.
  • zalintozalinto Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Two things you can't do without respec.

Dickriding this bad design choice won't stop players leaving though.

Only Die hards and the Whales left soon. Shame you can't buy the creation of interesting foundry content.

ReRoll! ahahhahahahah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kaos3083kaos3083 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    i wouldn't mid seeing the respec fee converted to gold instead of zen... it's not like pwe needs the 6.00$ considering the prices of everything else in the cash shop.
  • trollsparrowtrollsparrow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    So you already leveled two characters to level 60?
This discussion has been closed.