test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Phoera vs Fire Archon?

sherkkkansherkkkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hello all.
Im a GWF level 45 atm, cleric became useless since around level 30 so thinking about getting a new pet :D

Can someone please tell me which of these is better (for soloing mostly interested, including at level 60), Phoera or Fire Archon, im also interested which is most efficient way to aquire one. (trading keys for it, buying from AH, actually opening boxes, etc)

Thank you
Post edited by sherkkkan on

Comments

• tyraniontyranion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cleric never becomes useless because it's the only one that heals you for a scaling percentage of your health aside from the Angel, and that's not available to anyone yet. If you insist on a DPS pet, I only know about Phoera, which is decent because it has AE attacks and an always-on damage aura. I haven't used the Fire Archon or even seen anyone use it in an Epic Dungeon. You can buy the Phoera easily from the AH, for 200kish astral diamonds on Mindflayer.
  • sherkkkansherkkkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes you are right her heals are good cause percent based problem is she doesnt live enough to heal :(. She is usually one-two shotted right away. Would the golem epic tank be a better option for soloing than a dps pet?
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    With my 60 CW, I still use the cleric often when I do foundry quests. She does croak every second fight, but she still gets heals off in between. :) My secondary pets are the Phoera (for the AoE damage, which often makes him a bit of an off-tank) and more recently the Cat for dungeons. I also have the Dire Wolf and the Panther, but only the wolf is trained up. No experience with the Fire Archon.

I bought my Phoera from the AH. I had opened about forty boxes without much luck, and in the AH it is currently at prices just below 300k AD (as of yesterday anyway). If you were to buy Zen and exchange them for ADs, this would make it by far the least expensive T3 companion.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tyranion wrote: »
    Cleric never becomes useless because it's the only one that heals you for a scaling percentage of your health aside from the Angel, and that's not available to anyone yet.

Except i've seen piles of those dead from aoe's and one hits from bosses. Dead companion is pretty much the same as no companion. People then forget they can die, and never use or learn to use potions, so they end up dead too. It's good to learn to not use those clerics, if you can get a purple or blue companion.

I've ranked my Phoera all the way up and she's pretty good. Not so much on short lived trash mobs, but on bosses she rarely dies and not only gets in the fight but adds a bit of aoe fire damage around her. I love her, she's awesome. I've also never died in an epic dungeon, but i know how to use pots, even the times we didn't have a cleric.

I don't have the archon, but i've been in groups with them, and they seem more ranged, where the bird gets right in there. The bird can die slightly more easily at max rank since they are usually in boss aoe range, but they pop right back up at the end of fights.

Opening boxes isn't the best way, i opened a LOT of boxes (i have all three pieces of the jesters gear...) and got two of the birds, if that tells you anything. There are usually a ton of them on the AH, for various prices. If you are opening boxes for fun, go for it, but if you just want the bird, buy one. The more there are, the less some will sell for. I sold my second one for about 200K. There were more expensive ones, but i didn't mind.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sherkkkan wrote: »
    Would the golem epic tank be a better option for soloing than a dps pet?

I've seen a lot of those in epic dungeons lately, i heard they are pretty tanky. Depends on what class you are and what extra you want out of a companion. When i was soloing with my bird, i did pretty good but had to get good at dodging and using potions. The bird does damage, but didn't hold aggro much at all. Bosses with adds that couldn't be controlled were a huge pain. ;)
  • sherkkkansherkkkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks a lot for your answers, will try the birdie :)
  • robobot13robobot13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To be honest the epic golem seems a better tank than most GFs....
  • tyraniontyranion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Try a non-combat pet if you're more concerned about pet longevity. A cat won't die at all and will continue giving you stat buffs as well as in effect 3 extra gear slots. That's nothing to scoff at. 980,000 astral diamonds are steep, though.
  • sonisetnomsonisetnom Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sherkkkan wrote: »
    Hello all.
    Im a GWF level 45 atm, cleric became useless since around level 30 so thinking about getting a new pet :D

Can someone please tell me which of these is better (for soloing mostly interested, including at level 60), Phoera or Fire Archon, im also interested which is most efficient way to aquire one. (trading keys for it, buying from AH, actually opening boxes, etc)

Thank you

the Phoera is weak, mine dies all the time in fights and in a boss fight hes always in the floor. The Archon have more stats more armor and will last more in a fight. My recommendation is the Archon but if u don't have enough to buy one get the weak Phoera.